PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me???

obsessing
11-29-2005, 03:40 AM
I know that this site is devoted to Garth Fans, (And I am one-More Old School) but the feedback here in IL. (Prairie City) is that Garth's new deal is very Corporate. I am not sure what his sales are here, but I work in a local gas station and they grumble about how Corporate Greed has taken over and even the Stars have $ in there eyes.
That said I need you to know that I lost my job here to over seas and so did many others here, and I know alot of small town america is very upset that Walmart is mostly imports and that they are cornering the market by buying high volume overseas and beating everyones prices and now they are Buying people. I could see a person who had a need, but Garth is not needy, that I know of, I am rethinking my Fan status because of the principle. I love his music, but why would someone who said and I quote "I have more money than I or my children could ever spend" do this. I can only imagine that it was for the money. He said on a special that it was a deal that was too good to turn down.
When someone like me who doesn't even have health insurance because I make to much for aide and too little to pay the bills sees one of my favorite singers sell out it just makes me feel like he is ungreatful.
This is only an opinion, but it is mine and if anyone could explain it too me I would listen. It is the Holidays and maybe I am just blubbering, but when I sawhis special, how he was explaining to the world why he did this, I was really upset, so much so that I am writing this.
He seems to be a Great Father and all, but I wish he would have told Wal-Mart to shove it and be for the fans. He could have made that Box Set and sold it ina ll the stores and been fine. I would have bought it....

Shelli

Striehl
11-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Thank you for your thoughts, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, to get a new job soon - don't give up!

SweetGBFan
11-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Didnt he go to Capitol first and they didnt want to release the music, so I guess WalMart came to him. I for one am glad he did this. I dont understand why so many people are against WalMart. They are NOT Im sure the only store that imports.

luvntgb
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I am by no means a fan of WalMart, but in everyday America it's getting harder and harder to find Mom and Pop stores to give your money to (granted that's probably b/c places like WalMart already shut them down). Everything seems to be giant, corporate chains. It's ironic that what really turned me off to Wal Mart was when Scarecrow was released and they screwed me out of a copy - twice!!! It's a long story.....but anyway, now Garth is with them.

SweetGB is correct, from what I've heard from Garth himself, he wanted to release the 2nd boxed set through Capitol but they didn't want to b/c they weren't sure how it'd be received. So WalMart came and found him. As an econ student I say go WalMart for taking the initiative, but as a humble American, there's not a lot of people or businesses that could take that stand/chance.

TJsgotGBfever
11-29-2005, 11:42 AM
...sorry, nevermind

Emerald Isle
11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
I understand your frustration... but look at it this way.

Without Wal-Mart, there would be NO Box Set at all... Since Capitol didn't think it would sell.

Even if Capitol had released the set, It's possible that people like you and me who struggle financially may not have been able to afford the set as it would have probably retailed for around $35-$40.

It's a vicious circle. Because Wal-Mart exists... Mom & Pop stores can't compete & go out of business.

BUT... because Wal-Mart exists, people who could not otherwise afford such things like CD's, box sets, clothes, and other things at the mom & pop stores can now afford to buy such things because of the discounts it provides.

I empathize with you in your job situation. But in my community, Wal-Mart employs many senior citizens who LOVE to work at Wal-Mart because it is the only place in the whole town that will even give them a job, including the existing mom & pop stores.

Again, I know there are a lot of people who feel Wal-Mart treats their employees badly, but where I'm from I just don't see it... the people who work there are grateful to be working at all and are very satisified with their employment. I'm sure there are those who feel differently, but that's what makes America great !!

As for your consideration of no longer being a Garth fan... I feel it would be unfortunate. Garth went to Wal-Mart not for the money, but because they were the only ones in the entire business who still believed in him. Being a person who has had my share of personal doubt in life, when you find someone that believes not only in your vision and ideas, but mostly just believes in you... I would agree with Garth that that would simply be just too good of a deal to pass up.

Sorry you're having a rough go at it. You'll be in my prayers !!

Hang in there & just remember that as long as you have friends in low places, you're doing OK !!

Loreli28
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
I try to look at this deal in a positive light. :)

No way did Garth do it for money, anyone who knows anything about him would understand that. I think he did it for us fans. It's not like he doesn't know his fans want new music.

We also know Garth is EXTREMELY loyal. Walmart has been good to him, they offered and he took. I don't know why that makes him "bought."

There are a great deal of people who don't agree with what Walmart does. I am one of them and if I had had a choice I wouldn't have gotten it from Walmart either. However they really do have an entrenched niche. There are many people who couldn't afford what they have if not for Walmart.

I also understand about outsourcing jobs. This is going to be a huge problem for the US. We do live in a global economy these days, I guess we are going to have to come to grips with that. There's only one way to voice your opinion on this topic and that is with your vote!

I'm just really sorry that your job is now gone Shelli. My prayers go out to all who are in this position. We all may have this problem sooner or later.

Lori

obsessing
11-30-2005, 04:03 AM
Thank You all for your insight. I did not know that Capitol turned the idea down.
I was a little afraid of reading your replies, because I thought everyone would be ready to let me have it. I was suprised to see so many well wishes for my future success. I do have a job here in little P.C. at our local gas station. It is not the $15 an hour I used to make and I still have no Health insurance, but I am very grateful for what I do have.
I posted after work and everyone who was in for coffee and chit chat was talking about Corporate America and Garth came up as one who is going to be leading the way for Wal-Mart's new trend of KEEP IT HERE!
Our community has lost 2 Major Factories to overseas and they were what was keeping us main stream, now everyone is wondering about their futures here, and even property value has gone down, because who wants to move to a financial dry area Anyways that was why I posted.
I appreciate all your responses and am so glad that you were all so very helpful "I love Garth" and I am mixed about Wal-mart. I do shop there. I am not sure who said that if it wasn't for them alot of people wouldn't have the things they do, but your are right, I am one of them. With my newly depleted income that is about the only place I can afford. (I have 4 teenagers)
Walmart also started selling items that I was trying to sell at a local craft mall, and I could not even make my crafts and sell them as cheap as they were. So that kinda upset me also.
I am glad I posted and will now be more ready to defend him to the locals rather than help them bash...

Shelli (P.C a really low place)

Chris Gaines
11-30-2005, 04:18 AM
I wanna say one thing.. Capitol didn't turn it down cause they thought it would fail. They turned it down cause Garth wanted it released EXCLUSIVELY through WalMart. And thought that if they did that the other retailers would get mad at them and pull ALL CAPITOL products off their shelves at places like Best Buy, Target, Media Play, Sam Goody.. etc...

Snow
11-30-2005, 07:10 AM
In essence they did turn it down... at least for a long while. The songs that went into Sessions have been there for a while now. It was even mentioned by Capitol themselves when Garth announced his retirement that these songs were there to be developed.... But they've been sitting on them for several years now without doing anything.

fuzzwuzz
11-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Walmart also started selling items that I was trying to sell at a local craft mall, and I could not even make my crafts and sell them as cheap as they were. So that kinda upset me also.
I am glad I posted and will now be more ready to defend him to the locals rather than help them bash...

Shelli (P.C a really low place)

Shelli! You have another option! Go to your local Wal-Marts and campaign to have some of your crafts sold in the store! It happened for a local fisherman who has his own locally popular fishing lures sold at our Treasure Coast Wal-Marts!

So, you see! We are for the American locals! We help local business maybe more than anybody in town. And make it easier on the average American's checkbook.

So keep your chin up! You've got lots of friends in low places everywhere! :)

obsessing
12-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Once again I say "Thank You" you have been great. I never post on boards and I am glad that I was moved to do so here. You have all been most helpful. I wish you all well and I appologize for being so Political. I wasn't always like this.

I wish you all the best, and I have added Garth's set to my Christmas list. My hubby (I mean Santa) has been wondering what I would like this year. :-)

Shelli

fuzzwuzz
12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I've learned alot through Garth. And the good thing is, I can still keep learning and not think I have all the answers and listen to others like yourself. We all have lots to air out. Glad we made you feel welcome here. And I sincerely hope everythink works out good for you.

You are loved ~Dale