PDA

View Full Version : No Sign of Garth in My Walmart

ProducerJ
11-25-2005, 07:14 PM
So... like a crazy woman I went out shopping this morning, with my mother. About 10:30 we wound up in WalMart. I went back to the electronics section to pick up some DVD's and thought... oooh... I need to look for Garth. Expecting there to be some big display. A lifesize cut out. A tower of boxed sets.

I couldn't find him. Anywhere. I did see one WM employee wearing a Garth button. But when I asked her where they were hiding him, she said she only handled movies.

I went up and down every aisle in the electronics department and surrounding area, and ran into 2 other people looking for him too. They say "If it Plays in Peoria" it will play anywhere... but I'm here to tell ya, Garth didn't play in Peoria this morning.

So... those who got the set in the store this morning... where did they hide him? Because walking down another aisle I found a discarded boxed set that someone had changed their mind about. Did you have to ask for him at the counter or something?

J.

eric william
11-25-2005, 07:21 PM
I had to work today but after I got off of work I deceided to stop at Wal-mart to pick up a few groceries. I deceided to head over to the electronics seeking out the same thing as you J and I couldn't find a display, sign, or anything. Much like you, I found a discarded box set on top of the tallest rack of Country C.d.'s. I didn't get there until 5 tonight but there wasn't any display or anyting at the Iowa City store. Glad I pre-ordered :).

Garth_FANtasizer
11-25-2005, 07:57 PM
What?! Nashville didn't have The Box Set?

I don't know why this surprises me. You'd think by now I'd be used to their snub of him.
Well, they did it to Elvis too. Now they claim him as their good ole boy. LOL! Silly, spiteful town.

~Ann~

Monica Lockhart
11-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Ann,

J is in Illinois visiting her family for Turkey Day..

It was the store in her home town.... not Nashville.

:)

Moni

Garth_FANtasizer
11-25-2005, 08:19 PM
To borrow a phrase from Rosanne Roseanna Dana from SNL " Oh, that's very different." "Never mind." . LOL

My apologies for my ignorance. :o

~Ann~

Paula
11-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Garth wasn't anywhere near the CDs at the Wal*Mart I went to this morning...he was on a pallet near the fitting rooms.:rolleyes:

Paula

KUGuitarMonkey
11-25-2005, 08:52 PM
I got to Wal-Mart in NJ around 9:30am, and they were JUST opening a crate of the boxed sets. Actually, DUMPING them was more like it. The guy just ripped off the top of the box and poured everything onto the floor in a big heap. Not surprised to find out that when I opened up my boxed set in the car, two of the CD cases were cracked. And my boxed set was one that was supposed to be held behind the counter for me. It wasn't b/c they hadn't opened the crate to get any out.

There was actually a display by the door of our Wal-Mart...kind of like a big cardboard advertisement with a little pop-out shelf that was supposed to be holding CDs, but at the time, it was empty.

Stopped by a Wal-Mart in PA later this afternoon. They had just a few box sets in a tiny pile near the cash register in the electronics section, but no displays or anything.

For Wal-Mart having been so eager to jump on this project for Garth to get the music out to the people, I'm sure disappointed in hearing that so many stores aren't actually stocking it *in* store, or displaying it in the store for others to find it.

This is strike 2 for this week with them, as I'm still a tad bitter about all of the people (myself included) who were guaranteed a delivery by Wednesday if we pre-ordered. I will NOT preorder anything through Wal-Mart again, for any reason. I sat on the phone with their customer service yesterday for the longest time, trying to explain the situation to people who clearly were NOT interested in what I was saying. I was transferred FOUR times before I even found someone who knew WHAT the GB boxed set was, and even then, I couldn't get anyone to agree to hold one at the store for me today until I called the local store myself and talked to two other people.

Yes, I'm glad that Garth chose to go with a store that was willing to believe in him, and was willing to give the people so much music for $25. I just wish that Wal-Mart set an example in their stores of better customer service. I don't want to say that EVERY Wal-Mart is like this. But at least where I live, the two local Wal-Marts have pretty unfriendly staff members who don't want to go out of their way to make a sale on anything.

Electricbolt
11-26-2005, 12:17 AM
I was one of the crazy people standing in line this morning before the store opened up (and around 20 degree temps). Anyways, once the store opened up, I headed straight to electronics to grab the set since I had to grab a few things out of there anyways. I looked all around electronics and found no trace of the set except for several people who had like 5-10 copies in their carts. I asked one of the associates where the sets were and I found a huge display out front by the cash registers.

GBronx
11-26-2005, 04:54 AM
Well, I live in NYC area and having no Walmart unless I go over a bridge or 50 miles out of the city limits I preordered mine and got them on Wednesday!!
I'm a happy camper!!

wmcinnis
11-26-2005, 06:59 AM
They had them here with a nice cardboard display above it, in the electronics section.:)
-Susan-

beckysue59
11-26-2005, 10:30 PM
I got tired of waiting for UPS to deliver mine, so I went to Walmart today. They only had three boxed sets out. I'm sure they must have had more someplace, but boy, I really had to look for them. No display or anything.

sandis
11-26-2005, 10:49 PM
None with the cds in the Alexandria, VA Wal*Mart (are ya impressed I found it, J? :p )--but they had them at the end of the check out line of aisle 3. Go figure!

vegitoth
11-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Seesh, I think I'm one of those few people who have their box set safe and accounted for. But I'll tell you one thing, I praticaly almost didn't get it when it came out, I heard from a friend that my Walmart was sold out of the boxed set it almost broke my own heart but I just said that she was lying and she snapped at me about it for no reason. I bless the time when she was proved wrong because while walking around Walmart I found the last box discarded on shelf that had batteries on that shelf.

Mr_Sevens
11-27-2005, 01:17 AM
I haven't been to Walmart yet but I'm sure they are flying off the shelves here ;) (Tulsa Area)

Snow
11-27-2005, 12:02 PM
I've run into this product placement problem with Walmart before.

Lots of times when I've gone to look for a new popular movie title or album that comes out I can't find it where it should be in electronics... and then you have to go wandering around the store looking for it. Usually it's near the doors or registers. Seems like they could put some both places.

But I was told that what happens is the the electronics sections are usually small and they have the single entrance/exit at electronics to prevent shoplifting of expensive merchandise.... and when they have a big seller it makes electronics too congested so they put it out in other areas.

hank_fan
11-27-2005, 03:31 PM
I found mine near the front entrance, none to be found in the electronics dept.

Jen19
11-27-2005, 04:30 PM
went to Sams Club in nashville yesterday and they the DVD playing on a hugh plazma when I walked in the door that was nice to see but it was hard for me to find the box sets. There were up frount my the cash but they had lots a full pallet full. and at sams club only 23.72 - so I had to buy another, not sure if I will keep it or give it as a gift but it was fun to buy :)

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-28-2005, 02:12 AM
I've run into this product placement problem with Walmart before.
But I was told that what happens is the the electronics sections are usually small and they have the single entrance/exit at electronics to prevent shoplifting of expensive merchandise.... and when they have a big seller it makes electronics too congested so they put it out in other areas.

This is how it was set up and worked where I lived (small town outside of Louisville KY) for the reasons you mention Deb. New/hot selling artist CDs were put on shelves just outside Electronics area and at the front of the store so it could be seen my entering patrons.

CC

mcmahonfan
11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I work at a Wal_Mart in Platteville, Wisconsin and now Garth box sets are the first thing a customer sees when they walk in the store. The pallet is down to about a fourth of what it was when they first put them out. On Friday the box sets were in Electronics.

ProducerJ
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I heard our morning guy on the air on XM 10 this morning saying that his wife went to Walmart at 6am Friday morning and couldn't find them anywhere (they live in Maryland) so he figured they probably sold out across the country.

Clearly, that doesn't seem to be the case... but again - perception is everything. If WalMart is putting them where people who go in looking for them aren't going to find them, people are going to figure that they're sold out. Great to have a display by the cash register for people who don't know it's there... but for people who go to Walmart to look for it, they're going to go straight to the music section. If they don't find it, they aren't going to make it to the cash register.

J.

mbarker
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
J - was that the East Peoria Super Walmart? When I used to live there they were pretty good at putting out nice GB displays. DL comes to mind.

I have went to 3 Walmarts in the St. Louis area. One was sold out (looked around and then asked, and they said they didn't have anymore right now). The super walmart was sold out in their music section but told me to check up front by the registers (they had a display there with about 15 left). Then, the other Walmart I went to had about 150 of them in the music section - Just a solid end of an isle that had the box set staked to about 8-10 ft high.