PDA

View Full Version : Martina McBride Promises You A Rose Garden

fuzzwuzz
08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
by Paul Cashmere

30 July 2005

Country star Martina McBride has recorded an album of vintage country classics including the Lynn Anderson hit 'Rose Garden'.

The album Timeless will features songs between 30 and 50 years old. She covers songs by The Everly Brothers, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Don Gibson and Tammy Wynette to name a few.

"It was just a joyful process," says Martina. "I wanted only musicians who had the same kind of desire to do this record as I had. I wanted people who were excited about recreating this music and who would understand how to give it the authenticity I wanted. I wasn't interested in doing a 2005 version. I wanted to get the feel of the original recording. I have to say, the musicianship on this record is some of the finest I have ever heard."

Timeless will be Martina's 8th album. She will release the CD on October 18.

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2005/jul05/20050730_martinamcbride.html

sandis
08-02-2005, 10:49 PM
She recorded the same Waylon song that's the title track of Patty Loveless's new album! I couldn't believe it.

I'm hoping it's done in a different style, though.

dhuang8
08-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Great news. I love traditional country music.

Green_Kirby
08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Aww... I was hoping for a free garden of rioses... oh well. ;)

Hmm, I wonder how she'll handle it? Some have flopped with remakes, but some have done really good. I think she'll be good. ^_^
-GK

ProducerJ
08-03-2005, 06:44 PM
She sounds FABULOUS on this. It's VERY true to the original.

Can't wait to hear the whole CD.

J.

dhuang8
08-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Producer J, can you please elaborate on what makes it close to the original? I have heard the Martina's version once but it was in such bad sound quality that I couldn't discern the lyrics or instrumentation very well. Thank you.

ProducerJ
08-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Well I'm not a musician, so I probably couldn't use the right terms, but from the opening notes, it sounded like Lynn Anderson could have been coming out of my speakers! If you can sing along with the original, you can sing along with this one!

J.

dhuang8
08-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks. I love the original song so I know I'll enjoy the new one.

sandis
08-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I heard it today! On XM, of course. :D

It *is* great--you can definitely tell that it's Martina and not Lynn Anderson, but she does a great job covering it.

-sandi

sandis
09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Martina McBride performs some of her greatest hits and songs from her much anticipated new album Timeless live from the CMT studios.

Starts Saturday Oct. 8, 10:00 pm EST.

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn//cmt_concert_...showtimes.jhtml

I think I've seen one of these shows before--the Lee Ann Womack one, before she released her last album? It was pretty good!

MizMama
09-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I listened to the cd today and it's really great to hear Martina not doing those cheezy songs she's so fond of. Hear me...I think she's one of, if not the best voice in Nashville but I'm not big on what she's done lately....anyhoo, this is a great CD. I think people will dig it. So good to hear a contemporary artist doing "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down". "Satin Sheets", "I Don't Hurt Anymore." Great tracks that do not depart very far from the original arrangements. "Rose Garden" is the exact same arrangement and on lots of the tunes she has the Nashville Sound era style backup singers....lots of fun to listen to. My 12 year old daughter said about "Pick Me Up"..."I've never heard that song before but it's like I have." The power of Harlan Howard....:)

I'm still yearning for the day Reba will put her big belt buckle back on and do a "Today All Over Again".....I can dream, can't I????!?!?!?

gbfevernorway
09-24-2005, 08:56 PM
It's possible to listen to the whole album at CMT's listening party: http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/mcbride_martina/1020583/album.jhtml

Out of what I have heard so far, I think the album is really good. 18 songs, so good value for the money in that way too.

The sound is definately classic - naturally since it's a cover album of older songs. It's done in the same way as Alan Jackson's "Under the Influence". Covers that keep the songs in "old" style.

Kind of like LeAnn Womack's "I May Hate Myself in the Morning" as well.

Country the way country shall sound in many people's opinion.

sandis
09-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I listened to it at work the other day... and I wasn't too impressed. :( Unfortunately. :( I wanted to like, I really, really did... but there wasn't anything that stood out. I'm glad she didn't do anything outrageous with the songs, and covered them like they were done originally, but she could have still made them her own. When Loretta sang "You Ain't Woman Enough", you believed her. I wasn't feeling it with Martina. "I Still Miss Someone"... nope. I think of Rosanne and Johnny, even Suzy Bogguss. Maybe the problem is that some of these songs are so identifiable with certain artists?

dhuang8
09-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I just heard the album and I think it's fabulous. Great vocal performances and equally good arrangements. I will definitely be buying it. It's always encouraging to see today's country stars promoting tradition.

DavidN
10-08-2005, 01:13 PM
glad she's finally done a proper country album

sandis
10-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Martina McBride Turns Back the Clock in Timeless

For more than a decade, Martina McBride has been one of country music’s top female singers, an artist known for her dynamic range and her emotionally charged power ballads.

But on her new album, Timeless, McBride sings a different kind of country. By turning back the clock to standards of the genre like “Heartaches by the Number,” “I Can’t Stop Loving You,” and “Make the World Go Away,” McBride has found a musical place where she feels every bit as comfortable as she does on the stage of the legendary Grand Ole Opry.

“Every time I hear this music, it feels like home,” says McBride, 39.

McBride has sold 15 million albums on the strength of hits like “Independence Day,” “A Broken Wing,” “Concrete Angel” and “In My Daughter’s Eyes.” Yet, she says, she’s long harbored the desire to cut honky-tonk shuffles and heartbreaking countrypolitan.

“I’ve always wanted to make a traditional country album, and I’d say that every time I’d start a record,” McBride says. “Then I’d gather songs that always kind of led me in another direction. But it has always been in my heart to do a record like this.”

For Timeless, which will be released October 18, McBride recorded more than 30 classic country songs, eventually paring them to 18. The original hit versions of the songs span a quarter century of country music from Hank Williams’ “You Win Again,” recorded in 1952, to Tammy Wynette’s 1976 hit “Til I Can Make It on My Own.”

Timeless features tunes that were hits for current Grand Ole Opry members Loretta Lynn, Jeanne Pruett, Connie Smith and Charlie Walker, as well as late Opry legends like Don Gibson, Hank Snow, and Ernest Tubb.

McBride didn’t include anything by perhaps the two most influential female singers in country music history, Patsy Cline and Dolly Parton (though Parton, a fellow Opry member, does join her on Johnny Cash’s “I Still Miss Someone”). Instead, she tends to focus on big records by lesser known women (she includes two songs, “Help Me Make It Through the Night” and “Today I Started Loving You Again,” that were hits for the late Sammi Smith), as well as songs associated with male crooners like Ray Price, Eddy Arnold.

The album’s first single is a remake of Lynn Anderson’s Grammy-winning 1970 crossover smash, “Rose Garden.”

“‘Rose Garden’ is one of those songs that is a part of so many people’s memories,” McBride says. “It is such a fun song and has such a catchy melody. I was surprised that it hadn’t been remade before this. It’s one of those songs that just makes you feel good and brings a smile to your face.”

On Saturday, October 22, the Opry will dedicate a full hour of its show to McBride. It’s an almost unheard-of change of pace for the long-running radio show, which typically features between six and eight acts per hour. McBride will sing some of her own hits. She’ll also perform duets with Ray Price and Connie Smith.

“It’s really an unprecedented show,” says Opry general manager Pete Fisher. “But with Martina being both a revered Opry member and a contemporary superstar in country music, we felt that showcasing her talent and these classic songs was a perfect match for a special Grand Ole Opry show.”

McBride cut Timeless at the Nashville studio she owns with her husband, John McBride, who made his reputation in Music City running sound for Garth Brooks’ tours.

Though she usually receives a co-producer’s credit on her albums, Timeless is the first Martina has produced by herself.

She used a group of backing musicians that included two members of the Opry house band, drummer Eddie Bayers and bassist Larry Paxton, as well as guitarist Steve Gibson, who also serves as musical director for the long-running radio show.

“I wanted people who were excited about recreating this music and who would understand how to give it the authenticity I wanted,” McBride says. “I wasn’t interested in doing a 2005 version. I wanted to get the feel of the original recording.”

Some tracks became exercises in re-creating the sound of such classic country records as “Rose Garden” and Connie Smith’s 1964 debut hit, “Once a Day.” McBride would thoroughly analyze the originals, then record them using her husband’s extensive collection of vintage microphones and equipment.

In other cases, McBride knew the songs better than she did the hit records. On those tunes, she allowed herself more interpretive freedom. One such song was Ray Price’s 1954 hit “I’ll Be There (If You Ever Want Me),” which McBride had learned from a vanity 78 her father recorded.

“He won a contest, and the prize was making a record at a recording studio somewhere in Kansas,” McBride recalls. “When we were kids, my grandma would pull out this record if we begged enough – she didn’t want to scratch it! – and she would play it for us. It was always a treat.”

Raised on a farm in Sharon, Kansas, McBride grew up in a musical household. Her father, Daryl Schiff, rehearsed his band every week at the house. Martina started singing with the band when she was just 7 years old.

Martina and John McBride married in 1988 and moved to Nashville two years later. Martina broke into the music business by selling T-shirts for Garth Brooks’ 1991 tour. She released her first album in 1992 and moved up to the opening slot on Brooks’ tour in 1993.

Last year, the Country Music Association named McBride its Female Vocalist of the Year for the fourth time, tying her with fellow Opry member Reba McEntire for the most wins in that category. She’s up for the award again this year. She also received a Vocal Event of the Year nomination for her “Trip Around the Sun” duet with Jimmy Buffett.

McBride will celebrate her 10th anniversary as an Opry member in November. She joined the cast during the taping of the show’s 70th anniversary TV special, inducted by Loretta Lynn. McBride has long had a special relationship with Lynn and her music.

“You think you’d get over being starstruck,” McBride says. “But when she’s around, I just don’t know what to say. She talks 90 miles an hour, and I just sit there and try to soak it all in and not forget a word that she says. Because you’re talking to a legend.”

McBride recorded Lynn’s 1966 hit “You Ain’t Woman Enough” for Timeless. Lynn’s original was on the charts when McBride was born.

“I’ve sung this a few times, twice when Loretta was in the audience,” McBride says. “I just love the confidence and sassiness of the lyrics. We stayed very close to the original version.”

The process of assembling Timeless turned into a country music history lesson for McBride. While she knew, for instance, that she wanted to pay tribute to Connie Smith by recording her debut hit, “Once a Day,” she didn’t know that another Opry member, Bill Anderson, had written it.

“So I got to tip my hat to Bill and Connie!” she says.

McBride also covered Pruett’s “Satin Sheets.” The original spent three weeks atop the country charts in 1973.

“I tended to shy away from songs that I had sung growing up,” McBride says. “I think it’s because I felt like, ‘I’ve already done that.’ This was an exception. I did sing ‘Satin Sheets’ all the time in my dad’s band as a kid, so it is part of my personal history. For this version we tried to stay very close to the original, right down to the background vocal parts.”

Fisher says McBride and her new album perfectly complement the Grand Ole Opry, which celebrates its 80th anniversary this year.

“Like the Opry, which has a rich history yet is very much about what is happening in country music today, Martina’s new album is both current and timeless,” Fisher says. “It reflects what the Opry is all about – contemporary relevance and classic music.”

http://www.opry.com/OpryNews/CoverStories/MartinaTimeless.aspx

wmcinnis
10-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the article Sandi....I'm gonna have to get this C.D....I can remember laying in bed while my parents were entertaining, singing along to all those songs.:D
-Susan-