PDA

View Full Version : There's something I dont get (Garth related)

vegitoth
05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I've been wondering about this thing for the past few days and I'm hoping that I find the answers here.

Why do some people think that country music is going pop with some artists like Garth Brooks for example. I mean most critics think of some of his songs maybe even his albums going pop. I mean come on I dont think that in my opinion he kept his songs country. But it's not only him but also plenty of artists that are probaly going through this kind of thing. Now personally for every country music artist I ever listened too I dont think they sound pop I think they sound the way country music is supposed to be. And that is original style.

ProducerJ
05-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Garth brought some rock into country. I don't know that I ever thought of him as "pop" but he definately ROCKED.

Garthmedic
05-19-2005, 11:10 PM
All music evolves- country being no exception.

--spud--:)

IrishChick
05-20-2005, 01:33 AM
well i know wen i sing country i make it sound pop, only cus i dont have that country voice i sing rnb usually.

Sarah
xx

Snow
05-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I just think it's insane that whenever a country artist manages to find one of those songs that is a universal hit and ends up on the pop (as in popular) music charts that they risk the ire of some country fans as being "pop".

It's almost like they fear that others might get turned on to a country artist. It's almost like jealousy to not want an artist to do well enough to cross over onto the pop charts with a song here or there.

Yes I know there are a few country artists out there that have purposely altered their sytle just to make it more attractive to the mass pop listeners..... but that isn't what I think Garth did.... and I don't think it's what a lot of other artists do either. They just have a great voice, great persona, and hopefully some great songs that appeal to everyone.

In the end I try to remind the diehard "if it is played on a pop station it ain't country" fans that a great many of the icons in country music were also once accused of similar things or of being too unusual for country. Think of Waylon & Willie & the boys.... they were called outlaws for a reason and it didn't have to do completely with a cowboy/outlaw image. They did things that a lot of country listeners were not comfortable with.

Dolly has had her share of criticism in the past for "sounding pop" and the movies and all........ and geeze today almost no one would fit the image of "country" any better than Dolly.

My all time favorite Loretta Lynn purely shocked people with some of her lyrics about real life..... but country wouldn't be country without her.

I think there is more than enough room in country for all the different subtypes of the genre...... rock-a-billy, southern country rock, bluegrass, country & western, folk country..... you name it.

I don't know why some people want to keep Country in some kind of box........ and then they wonder why country stations are so hard to come by in some areas of the nation and world.

They should stop whining and moaning over some of the popularized country and support what they like. Don't slam an artist you don't like....... promote the artists you do! And let others do the same without throwing judgements on them.

And the same goes for some of those country artists out there that think they have some god given right to dictate what is and isn't country as well. It's those rebels and outlaws of the past that paved the way for them. They need to shut up and learn from the rebels of the day or just go on and do what they do best. But they shouldn't be slamming other artists as sell-outs or as "un-country".

To me it almost comes across as sour grapes over the success of others....

And I'll come right out and say it...... I LOVE Alan Jackson's music and will buy almost anything he puts out...... but he really ticks me off sometimes when he waxes on about how he's staying true to the roots of country and so on as if he's making some big artistic statement. I love ya Alan..... but ya ain't ALL THAT! There's a little rock in your twang that would have never gone over with the good 'ole boys back before the Outlaws opened things up.

And you can be snooty about how you're more true to the music because you just stand there and sing and don't put on a show..... but ya know what...... the old artists did a lot more than stand there with their eyes shaded by a big 'ole hat and tap their feet. They knew about entertaining a crowd. Watch an old tape of Earl Scruggs and Lester Flat....... those boys knew a bit of showmanship and never ever made a video of people sking on a river either.

Ok...... I've ragged on Alan a bit too long. I guess I've had it bottled up a little too long. I really do love his music...... and I appreciate his passion for the genre... but he could be a little less high and mighty about how to be down home country! I'm not sure that I'm really up for the rap/country cross.... but I'm sure willing to give it a try!!! And if we don't try new and innovative variations of country it really will be left as nothing more than some exhibit at the HOF.

It kind of reminds me of that song we used to sing as kids in scouts..... "Make new friends, but keep the old... one is silver and the other gold". We don't have to kill one branch of country to preserve the whole tree.

Country music is whatever country music listeners want to hear!!!

*climbs off her soapbox and apologizes if she ruffled any feathers*

beckysue59
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
You didn't ruffle my feathers! I feel the same way. I used to really like Alan Jackson until he started dissing on Garth (maybe not by name, but it was obvious who he meant). George Strait and George Jones have done the same thing, and it really irks me. Garth has never had anything but GOOD things to say about these guys. He idolizes them!

And their "I'm more country than you are" attitude didn't stop Alan and GS from recording with Jimmy Buffett.

Okay, now I'll get off MY soapbox. And sorry if I ruffled any feathers!

vegitoth
05-21-2005, 07:19 AM
George Strait and George Jones have done the same thing, and it really irks me.

What do you mean by George Strait and Jones doing the same thing. Did they talk bad about him too?

beckysue59
05-21-2005, 04:04 PM
What do you mean by George Strait and Jones doing the same thing. Did they talk bad about him too?

Never by name. At least not that I know of. Maybe it's just my personal take on things that I've heard them say in interviews. Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed to me they were kind of aimed at Garth. Anyway, Garth respects them both, so I'm not trying to denigrate them. I've just never understood what they have against him. Especially when he's gone out of his way to praise them.

olewis77
05-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I don't think that anyone in their right mind would say anything bad about Garth in a public forum, He proved them all wrong time and again with his record sales and record making crowds. Besides, half of new 'young' country would not be here if not for him anyway. Just because you don't see them hanging formt he rafters and rocking a stadium full of fans doesn't mean they are more country than Garth.

I've noticed a few things about "cross-over' artists...the songs that are making the biggest impact are the ones that are talking about life in general...Country is no longer the bar hopping, broken heart, redneck side of life strong hold. Most of todays songs are about living in the moment, loving the one you're with and family and overcoming adversity. Sure there are still redneck drinking songs and plenty of songs about broken hearts, but 'young' country is all about enjoying life and treasuring good memories.

The cross overs have done so because of the universal appeal of their songs, not because of who they are or how they play the music. I listened to a Brad Pailsey interview once when He Didn't Have To Be was hot and he said that he was approached by excutives about making that song a little more popish so that he could cross-over. He refused. He said that he was a country musician and he only knew how to play his music one way, the way he did. He said that if they wanted to play the song on pop stations that was fine with him, but he was not going to redo it.

I agree with him, he shouldn't have to redo his song tomake it have better appeal to a larger audiance. Music should be universal.

Of course this is just MHO...

Olivia:)

Debbie from NZ
05-21-2005, 09:21 PM
I don't know why artists can't just make any sort of music they like. Who cares about genres? We can either buy it or not.

gbgsfan
05-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Sorry, but you are wrong about George Strait. First off, he doesn't do interviews and when he does, he NEVER disses other artists. I have only heard him say great things about Garth and how flattered he was when he heard Garth say that he was one of his heroes. George is class all the way and he has never dissed Garth.

rodeogirl21
05-26-2005, 03:56 PM
I agree. I am also a long time George Strait fan as well as Garth, and George never ever said anything even leaning towards dissing any other artists. Especially Garth. George praises Garth as much as Garth praises George.

Wendi5000
05-26-2005, 05:40 PM
If I remember correctly, George Strait rarely does any kind of interviews or such with the press because he lost a child several years back and invariably the topic comes up - which he (rightfully) doesn't want to discuss with the public. It's his business. So I'm wondering when & where these interviews were, where he dissed Garth? Not saying it didn't happen - obviously I don't follow any of this real close - but it's got me curious and I'd like to see it if possible. :)

beckysue59
05-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Perhaps it wasn't an interview. Seems to me about the time "Murder on Music Row" came out I heard about something in the liner notes that was aimed at Garth. I COULD BE WRONG!! I don't have access to the liner notes, so perhaps someone could clarify, or set me straight. I honestly didn't mean to start anything! :( SORRY!

Zack
06-01-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't have a problem with country songs making it on the pop charts. What I do think is wrong is when a song is altered to sound more popish, like adding a little beat thing to it.

Examples would be recently, Live Like you Were Dying....and older stuff, This Kiss, Let Me Let Go, the crazy stuff Shania does with two versions of every song.

And then there's Tim Mcgraw singing about adding pop to his country.....then does a song with a hip-hop artist.