PDA

View Full Version : Reds to host Mother's Day celebration; "Tricia" Yearwood to sing National Anthem

sandis
05-07-2005, 01:40 AM
just ignore the awful typo in "Tricia's" name in the headline! :eek:

Reds to host Mother's Day celebration
Tricia Yearwood to sing National Anthem

CINCINNATI -- Major League Baseball and the Cincinnati Reds will host a Mother's Day celebration prior to Sunday night's 8:00 p.m. ET game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Great American Ball Park. The game will be broadcast to a worldwide audience via ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Radio.
Participating in the on-field ceremonies will be Reds pitcher Danny Graves, Grammy Award-winning recording artist Trisha Yearwood and Diane Balma, senior counsel and director of public policy for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and a 10-year breast cancer survivor.

Balma will throw out a ceremonial first pitch, and Yearwood will sing the National Anthem. Balma, Yearwood and Graves will be available to the media on the field at approximately 7:45 p.m., along with Major League Baseball manager for community affairs and educational programming Jana Perry.

Major League Baseball and its clubs are teaming up with the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation to promote breast cancer awareness and the importance of early detection while also raising funds to support breast cancer research. Through Mother's Day, MLB will sponsor the "Strikeout Challenge" to raise funds to support the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Through Sunday, baseball fans can log on to MLB.com and pledge money for each strikeout thrown from May 1-May 8, or they can donate a fixed amount to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Last season, 1,441 strikeouts were recorded from May 1-May 8. Major League Baseball Charities has committed $50,000 to the foundation as part of the "Strikeout Challenge" program.

On Mother's Day, players will wear pink wristbands, and the pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness will be displayed on all uniforms. The pink ribbon logo also will appear on the bases and on a commemorative home plate. The game-used bases and team-autographed commemorative home plates from games played on Mother's Day will be auctioned off to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

360David
05-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Was the name really mispelled in the headlines. How horrible. I mean first has nobody ever heard of Journalistic Standards. The FIRST THING they taught about writing stories was GET NAMES and TRIPLE CHECK SPELLING.

jagnikhah
05-08-2005, 08:59 PM
They just had a short interview with her. She looked great and her mom was sitting next to her.

Heather

AussieFan65
05-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks Heather :)

I don't suppose you happened to tape it to make a clip for us, did you??

Lynette

Teach
05-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Heather, did you hear the part where that lady wished them both (Trisha and her mom) a Happy Mother's Day? As far as I know, Trisha Yearwood is not a mom. Another journalistic blooper?????

dlr5
05-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Glad you got to see that HEATHER! My LOVELY daughter Erika who was on the computer was KIND enough to let Heather know that Trisha was on, but FAILED to holler for me in the next room to come see her! Happy Mothers Day to me!---LOL

Hope you got it taped Heather!

Diane

sandis
05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Heather, did you hear the part where that lady wished them both (Trisha and her mom) a Happy Mother's Day? As far as I know, Trisha Yearwood is not a mom. Another journalistic blooper?????
Well, technically she's not... but I imagine she could be considered a "mother" of sorts to a certain 3 girls. :)

-sandi

jagnikhah
05-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes I did get the clip on tape, Ill try to make a video of it if nobody else got it? And yes I did catch the journalist say happy mothers day to both of you. Oh and apparently Diane your daughter likes me more! Ha, in fact we've been chatting all day.

Heather

jagnikhah
05-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Here is the clip. Sorry if the audio is a little out of sync, its late and Im tired lol.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/hhuffman/www/

Heather

lisar
05-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Thank you for posting the clip. Of course I watched for the anthem adn then turned it off after they didnt show it since noone else in my house likes sports. It was good to see her Mom with her, kind of wondered if she might be.
Thanks again for posting the clip!

sandis
05-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Thanks Heather! I quit taping about 15 minutes before they aired this 'cause I didn't want to get an entire ball game on tape :rolleyes:, and when this came on I was too excited to remember to hit record. I appreciate it!

-sandi

TammyLS
05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Very Cool, thanks for sharing the clip! Wish I'd seen her perform the anthem, but with Mother's Day, the boys had plans for me, and I missed it!

jasper
05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Just to clear this up for you, she was not shown on tv singing the anthem. They went to a commercial and came back with a quick view of the color guard and the team taking the field and first pitch. no Trisha. Thanks as usual to Heather for sharing. Joan

MelanieR
05-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Very Cool Thanks for the Clip. I dont think i got the game here.....but thanks to you i got to see it anyway.. :)

TammyLS
05-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Ahh, Thanks Jasper for clearing that up for me, I misunderstood. Sorry the anthem wasn't televised for all the fans, that would have been cool! Maybe next time!