PDA

View Full Version : Fenway Faces: Mantei learning AL ropes

sandis
04-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Q: I know you're associated with Garth Brooks' Teammates for Kids Foundation. How did that come about ... I would imagine you're a big country music fan?

A: Yep, I love country music and I'm a big Garth Brooks fan. He does a lot of things for kids and I'm huge into that. I love doing whatever I can to help kids out. There are about 300 of us in baseball involved in it and to see what they do is great.

Q: What exactly does the Foundation do?

A: You donate money and go out to Las Vegas for an auction in the offseason that benefits kids. Last year it raised almost two million dollars. I also helped with a "Mighty Casey At the Bat" statue that was placed outside the stadium at the Little League World Series. For most of the year, it's more of a monetary thing, but when you go down to Vegas in the winter and see the kids who are sick or less fortunate on stage, it's really well worth it.

This is the entire article:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=96150

fuzzwuzz
04-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Very cool! :)

GriggsGarthGirl
04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Go Red Sox!!!!!!

GBShameless
04-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the article, I think Garth needs to visit Fenway, there are only like five people from the team that are on the list :(

I know most of them are country fans

sandis
04-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey, even though I'm an O's fan... if you start a campaign, I'll join in! :D

-sandi

GriggsGarthGirl
04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
While I'm not trying to say that Garth shouldn't visit fenway I did count 15 current players that are on the list--Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Damon, Alan Embree, Keith Foulke, John Halama, Matt Mantei, Kevin Millar, Wade Miller, Doug Mirabelli, Bill Mueller, Mike Myers, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield and David Wells--not too shabby. Plus Ellis Burks is listed and he's now retired and Gabe Kapler who now plays in Japan is also listed. For a 25 man team 15 is a pretty good amount. Pretty impressive.

GBShameless
04-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow I must have been really asleep this morning looked at the list, cause I totally missed most of them :)

GriggsGarthGirl
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
There are a lot of names on that list, which is great, but it does make it hard to spot all of the ones you know. I know I had to look it over a few times to make sure I got everyone. Especially with all the changes this off season, almost missed some of the new guys--lol. And I wish I could still include Derek Lowe and Dave Roberts on the list--lol.