PDA

View Full Version : My Garthy-experience Thursday

Steven75407
03-01-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm performing "The Dance" at the assembly following the Shattered Dreams program Thursday morning. Every three years, my high school has this drunk driving program called "Shattered Dreams," 27 seniors and juniors are selected to participate in the program, which features a heart-wrenching mock crash scene complete with EMTs, the Houston Police Department and the Life Flight chopper, as well as a Grim Reaper who walks through the hallways to the sound of a heartbeat, and pulls a student out of class, paints their face white, and then sends them back to class where no one can speak to them, representing how every 15 minutes, someone in my age group dies in an alcohol-related car crash. It sounds eerie and it is. And the crash is so realistic it just kills you. I saw the video during my freshman year, and it looks a lot like a combination of an episode of Rescue 911 and the Diamond Rio video "I Believe."

Anyway, I felt "The Dance" is an appropriate song for the whole deal, and although the action is fake, you realize how something like that could affect your life. When I perform it Thursday, I will dedicate it to those all over America who were killed in a drunk driving accident and those who have been affected by those losses.

luvsgarth62
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
That's cool, in a Garthy way. I think when I was in H.S, there was something similar to that.

-Alicia

Jude
03-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Sounds great idea - hope you do it justice - which I'm sure you will.

Steven75407
03-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I have never seen anything so dramatic in my life. There were four "injured" victims, and two victims who "died", including one of my best friends. Not a word was spoken during the event Wednesday morning. When they pulled her out of the vehicle and loaded her stretcher into the hearse, I lost it. Thank goodness my girlfriend Lindsey was there to console me because everything looked so real. Every one of the victims was a bloody mess.

The assembly began with a speech by the principal, who introduced everyone who had taken part in planning the whole thing. A video was then shown of yesterday's crash along with the arrest of the kid that played the drunk driver, parent notifications, and the drunk driver's trial. It was a tear-jerker. Songs used in the video were R.E.M's painful ballad "Everybody Hurts," (the crash scenes and rescues); "Fire and Rain" by Garth's hero James Taylor and "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan (the parent notifications at the hospital), "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest (the lockup of the drunk driver) and "Choices" by George Jones (the drunk driver's trial and sentence)

Finally, it was time for the mock funeral. Everyone stood as the two caskets were brought in, and eulogies were read by the students' friends. My friend Brooke introduced me for my performance. I sang "The Dance" in the exact same passionate manner Garth did. I don't know how I got through it, and I saw a lot of people crying when I was performing. When it was over, I received thunderous applause. People at lunch kept telling me, "Great job, Steven. You sounded just like him." I didn't even bring a guitar, however I did wear my black and red western shirt, Wranglers and boots.

wmcinnis
03-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I think it's great that they have programs such as this in high school these days. The way you describe it Steven, I can see it being a very trying and emotional thing to watch or participate in. If this doesn't get the point across, I'm at a loss to what will.:rolleyes:
Looks like the song choices were thought out well and ending it all with 'The Dance' was a very nice touch and I agree, it must have been tough to get through, but you did, way to go Steven.:)
-Susan-

Vanessa
03-05-2005, 12:34 AM
we had something like that at my highschool.. I didn't really get it.. until now, I hope that that doesn't make me sound naive. The Dance was an appropriate song for sure.

God and peace,
Vanessa :)

Steven75407
03-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks y'all. Garth Brooks' music will fit in any kind of situation there is, and that's one of the reasons I love it. Since I couldn't participate in the actual event because of the meetings and the 400-word essay requirement, I still wanted to do something to show my support for the program, so I asked if I could perform "The Dance" and they said "Yes."