PDA

View Full Version : Country Music Hall of Fame

Paula
02-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe Garth will become one of the next members. From cmt.com -
CMA to Induct Newer Stars Into Hall of Fame
Tue. February 22.2005 4:16 PM EST

The Country Music Association has added a new category to its annual inductions to the Country Music Hall of Fame, giving artists who made an impact after 1975 a chance to be inducted while they are still living. The category, titled Career Achieved National Prominence Between 1975 and the Present, will take effect this year. One artist who achieved national prominence between 1945 and 1975 will also be inducted each year. The other three categories -- a recording/touring musician active prior to 1980; a non-performer; and a pre-World War I artist -- will rotate every three years.That would be so cool.

Paula

May_G&T_fan
02-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Well Garth definitly sounds like a nominee!

sandis
02-23-2005, 01:10 AM
They have to vote for Garth here!!!

:D :D :D

ProducerJ
02-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Umm... I believe there's a minimum 25 year requirement.

I personally nominate Charlie Daniels. Or the Oaks. Or the Statlers. for starters.

J.

TammyLS
02-23-2005, 10:37 AM
That's very cool! Thanks for sharing that information! Joyce, great choices, I'd love to see any of them getting it...what about Alabama? How long was their career? They'd be good choices as well!

Monica Lockhart
02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Umm... I believe there's a minimum 25 year requirement.

I personally nominate Charlie Daniels. Or the Oaks. Or the Statlers. for starters.

J.

J... according to the article that I read... it specifically stated that people like Garth, Alabama, Alan Jackson, etc would be eligible for this award.

Moni

LuvsTheGarth
02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm rooting for Garth - can't think of someone who deserves it more! (OK, I'm biased, but still!)

luvsgarth62
02-23-2005, 04:01 PM
GO GARTH!!!:) He is the PERFECT guy for this! If he won this, he'd be back in the news. How cool would that be?!

-Alicia

BLL
02-23-2005, 08:48 PM
I'l be rooting for Garth and The Statlers- my two most favourites!!! :D

Teach
02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I would definitely vote for Garth and vote against Alan Jackson. I just cannot like that singer. :(

sandis
02-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I wonder if Garth would turn it down, and tell them to give it to Reba? I think I saw her mentioned, as well. She's another one that deserves it, IMO. :)

-sandi

ProducerJ
02-24-2005, 09:10 AM
OMG I can't believe I didn't mention Alabama! Yes!

TammyLS
02-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Moni, Where did you read that article? I would not want to have to chose bet. Garth, Reba, AJ, Statlers or Alabama...does it list other nonimatinees or something? What a great way to honor these Great artists that have given so much to the industry!! And doing while they are still living, Very cool!

ProducerJ
02-24-2005, 09:03 PM
There's a CMA committee that meets to choose who goes into the Hall of Fame each year (the Country Music Foundation, which houses the Hall of Fame and Museum will be the first to want you to know that they don't chose the inductees.) It's all done behind closed doors, and then each year's inductees are announced - it's not like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame where the public knows who is up for induction each year and then the "winner" is revealed.

There are SOOOO many deserving artists who should be in the Hall of Fame... I really don't understand why they are so limited to inducting 3 (now - used to be 2) each year. Why so stingy?

J.

Monica Lockhart
02-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Moni, Where did you read that article?
!

Tammy,

I subscribe to the yahoo news alerts.. so when Garth's name appears anywhere I get an email..

Here's the article:

Country Hall of Fame adds category

By JEANNE ANNE NAUJECK
Staff Writer

Contemporary country artists will be considered for induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame, beginning this year.

The Country Music Association, which inducts country stars into the hall at the rate of two a year, is raising that to three by adding a category for those artists who achieved stardom from 1975 to the present.

That means artists such as Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Shania Twain, Reba McEntire and Alan Jackson could become members of the exclusive club while they are still performing.

It could also reduce the backlog of artists waiting to be considered for induction.

This year, two people were to be selected one whose career ''achieved national prominence'' before World War II'' and one for the period between World War II and 1975. The new category will add a performer who achieved stardom anytime from 1975 to the present.

The pre-WWII category will rotate every three years. Next year, that category will shift to honor a recording and/or touring musician active before 1980. In 2007 it will be reserved for a non-performer, and in 2008 it will revert to a pre-WWII artist.

In making the changes, the CMA acknowledged that some inductees have died before getting picked; Webb Pierce, who had 13 No. 1 hits in the 1950s, died 10 years before his induction in 2001.

The rest of the article can be read here:
http://tennessean.com/business/archives/05/01/66005357.shtml?Element_ID=66005357

Moni

TammyLS
02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks Moni! That was a great article to read! I think it's great that they want to try to honor some of these incredible people while they are still here to accept it themselves! Very nice!
Joyce, thanks for the information! I agree with you though, I don't understand why they limit it so much, when it's obvious that there are sooo many artists that truly Deserve that honor! Maybe they are afraid to many people in 1 year takes away from the prestige? Who knows! I'm just glad to see 3 this year!

Steven75407
03-01-2005, 07:24 PM
The Country Music Hall of Fame can't keep doing the 2-a-year tradition. There are too many legends that are eligible, including Kenny Rogers, Connie Smith, Ronnie Milsap, Charlie Daniels, Dottie West, the Statler Brothers, Lynn Anderson, Eddie Rabbitt, Mel Tillis, Charlie Rich, Alabama, Reba McEntire and George Strait. They've got the '20s through the '60s covered, but now it's time to focus on the '70s and early '80s

gbgsfan
03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Sorry, but GEORGE STRAIT should be the FIRST induction for this new category. But that is just my opinion....

MizMama
03-10-2005, 11:08 AM
No doubt that people like Garth and Reba will one day reside in the Hall of Fame, but, there are a TON of people that should go in there before them. The HOF is not traditionally known for being very smart about stuff like that....they still have not put Pop Stoneman in, who made the very first country recordings, pre Carters and Jimmie Rodgers. They just got around to putting Carl Smith in last year and that should have been done long before it was. I would like to see Jimmy Dean, Roy Clark, Gram Parsons and the list is really endless.
I'd also like to see them have a spot for the DJ Hall of Fame over there, like someone suggested during CRS.