PDA

View Full Version : The Dance

jmush
02-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Hey...I'm writing a paper for school on "The Dance" and was just wondering if anyone could give me their take on the song. What does it mean to you or what do you think it means in general? Or anything else you want to say about the song! Thanks a lot!!

olewis77
02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure if I'm the person to ask, but heres my take on it:

I always get a picture in my head when I hear that song. It's of a very sick man on his death bed. As he lies there thinking back on his life, he's remembering good times, laced with bad. Thinking of the things he could have done to make a certian situation come out differently. But at the same time, he sees what he would have missed if he had taken the other option. And finally he decides that his life was not all that bad, he has a long list of things that were good for having lived it the way he did, so, if given the oppertunity to do it again, he wouldn't change a thing.

He could have, in that distant time when a decision had to be made, missed out on the pain and grief of the choice he made, but he would have missed all that followed, the understanding that comes from having gone through an emotional change, or perhaps the start of a new life, or a new chapter in his life. For every missed adventure we have, the true adventure lay ahead.

I could have missed the pain, but I'd of had to miss the dance.

Just my thoughts, hope they help

Olivia:)

LuvsTheGarth
02-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

GBronx
02-19-2005, 07:16 AM
OMG!! Olivia!! Great analogy!!

Rooster
02-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Very good, Olivia. I see it as a no regrets type of song, too. But the picture I see is one where someone is saying goodbye to their lover/soulmate. They know it's over and their heart hurts because of it. They may never experience a love like that. They are almost wishing that they had never fallen for that person, but if they hadn't... they'd have missed all the good things that loving someone so passionately brings. Hence the line... I could have missed the pain... but I'd have had to miss the dance.

Ya know... I often relate this song to how I feel about Garth retiring. Sometimes I wish I'd never stumbled on his music cause then I wouldn't be feeling that pain that we might not ever hear anything new from him again. But at the same time I'm glad I found his music because look at what all I've gained because of it. The friends I've made... some of them best friends for life... the good times we've all shared... geez... I can't tell you how many times this place (PG) has brought a smile to my face. I've got that music that moves me and touches my soul like no other. I can't see my life without those good things in it.

I could of missed the pain... but I'd have had to miss the dance.

Very awesome song... very awesome line. :)

wmcinnis
02-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I see it as a no regrets type of song, too. But the picture I see is one where someone is saying goodbye to their lover/soulmate. They know it's over and their heart hurts because of it. They may never experience a love like that. They are almost wishing that they had never fallen for that person, but if they hadn't... they'd have missed all the good things that loving someone so passionately brings. Hence the line... I could have missed the pain... but I'd have had to miss the dance.

I see the same picture krystal....well said.:)
-Susan-

IrishChick
02-19-2005, 04:43 PM
The Dance is a very special song to me everytime i listen to it i cry. I have the september 11th version where news and people talk through bits of it. My boyfriend died in Iraq with the british army standing for america and what happened on September 11th but night before he got posted out i remember us dancing outside the barracks in Uk at night to Tomorrow Never Comes and if i knew he would have died i would have begged him to stay. He fought and died for america i was angry but now am proud of him. He had a bigger heart than anyone i knew he would always say if it was Britain got hit by those planes he would still go and fight. He died to protect. When i first heard the dance i thought it was sweet it was only until i arranged for it to play at his funeral i really understood and related to it.

When my dad dies i am going to play it at his funeral the song means more to me than anything and im always dancing with my dad, he is a singer in pubs and such and he always sings garth songs through the night for me as the songs mean a lot to me and i relate to them. Hope this helps, my experience is better than any meaning.

Sarah
xx

Jude
02-20-2005, 08:23 AM
The Dance to me means life goes on.............

When a good friend's marriage ended I sent her the words to The Dance. She didn't know who it was by and she said the words hit home. If she hadn't been married to him then she wouldn't have had two great children. Then few months later I decided to end my marriage and I think of the good times but at the time I was going through the pain. Two years down the track and life does go on and does get better - for me at least and my friend as we have both met someone new....and life's circle begins again.

Sarah, I 'm sorry for your loss I truly am.

Jude

IrishChick
02-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Jude thanks but like u said life does go on and im happy with myself i miss him like crazy but i know hes always with me and when i visit his son who is looking like him more everyday i see him. I have his initials tattooed in a heart on my cheast close to my heart. I look at his photos everyday i wear his shirts to bed i even write him letters and read them out loud for him to hear. I will be with him again our love was the kind of love u only get in very few people and im young but i know i will never feel a love that even comes close to it ever again but i know he would want me to be happy, im not ready to find another boyfriend i think im a few years away from it. Some people take for granted wot life is now i notice the small details are more beautiful than the bigger details such as a babies laugh, smell of roses a lovers voice. Im glad you are happy now the worst thing is living a lie unhappily,

sarah
xx

LuvsTheGarth
02-20-2005, 02:04 PM
God, Sarah, I am SO sorry for your loss :( My husband spent four months over in Iraq but he was a civilian and I know my soul was tortured until he came home. I can't even comprehend the pain you must feel but I'm so glad you take comfort in the fact that he died a noble death. I will keep you in my prayers.

IrishChick
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM
well thank u! I didnt want sympathethy im a very proud girl. Yea it hurts it actually kills but less than it did. I used to no believe in god but obv god had better plans for my x and hope that includes protecting me

sarah
xx

Vanessa
02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Sarah, I'm very sorry for your loss :( *hugs*

when I hear The Dance I'm reminded of the sacrifice that Jesus made for me up on the Cross. Garth talk's about the sacrifice that people made in the video for the things that they beleived in. I'd like to think that Jesus made that sacrifice for me for something that He believed in.

God and peace,
Vanessa :)

RisingStarTX
02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
This Song To Me Was About When My Mother And Step-father Slit Up While I Was In High School. My Step-dad Was A Hard Man To Get Along And Was A Stubborn Man. My Town Was A Small One In Texas And Everyone Knew Everyone. Anyways, I Was Turned In For Throwing Rocks At A Dog So The Owner Said But It Was My Buddy. Make A Long Story Short The Cop Told My Dad And We Got Into A Fight Up At The School. Well When I Told My Mother She Got Mad At Him And They Split Up. Things After That Were Good But I Missed The Times I Had With My Stepfather. They Were Good Times But Also Their Was The Hurt That Came Along With Them. This Is The Short Version Of The Story Get Ahold Of Me And Ill Tell The Rest. It Was Too Long To Put All Of It On Here. And On Another Note I Want To Tell Sara That I Too Am Sorry For Your Loss And Im Sure Your Tired Of Hearing That But I Wanted To Express My Sympathy To You And The Loss Of Your Loved One

IrishChick
02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
in a way i do get tired of hearing it but never get tired of hearing about him. All u can do is smile and remember the good times. Even the times when we were laughin at each others taste in music. I swore i would get him to appreciate country music and in the end i think he had more cds than me lol. Im sorry to hear about ur stepdad and mum in the end she will always have you and u will always have her. Its like i was telling my friend the other day when her boyfriend moved abroad for work she will always have people round her to love and support her and it wasnt the end for him and her just a break. She supports me a lot and i support her its a family thing.

Sarah
xx

olewis77
02-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I just came in here to see what everyone had writen about the song, and was blown away by all the personal stories from all of you. I'm sorry to hear about broken marriages, and lost loves. Sarah, I am truely sorry for your loss, and deeply moved by the depth of his and your belief's. This war in Iraq is very contraversial and usually brings dissagreements whenever it is spoken about. However, it has touched almost everyone's life in some way. I had a very good friend over for a year. His job was to secure the cities before the armed forces could go in. With every report of bombings and captures, we worried. Living on that razor edge of fear and pride was tough, but coping without him would have been tougher. I'm glad you're finding comfort.

The loss of a parent is hard, no matter what the circumstances. Keep remembering the good times.

My personal experience would be when my ex-bro-in law died. Somehow I managed to stay neutral when he and my sis split. Even though I heard about all the horrid things they did to eachother just to hurt the other. Three years later he was diagnosed with cancer. It was aggressivly attacking both his heart and lungs, inopperable. My sis and he had reached a truce before his diagnosis. Three months after he was told he died. Sis was devestated, she never wated the split. I just kept thinking of everything I missed after their divorce. He was a big Skynard fan and his Mom played The Breeze at his funeral, I kept hearing the lyrics to The Dance, that's how I felt.

Olivia:)

IrishChick
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Olivia losing someone is always the worst thing to happen in ur life but its something we all have to face and go through and theres no relief in living ur life with regrets i know my x would have been disapointed in me if i did.

sarah
xx

MADDOG72WOLF90
02-24-2005, 07:43 PM
this song means alot to me we made a video for my uncle before he died and we put this song in because it means that he will never be forgotten well that is what i think so yeah and if you know the tabs to the song plez let me know i really would like to learn it because of my uncle it is a good song to be remembered by and plez no cords i already have those i want to know how he does the picking and stuff like that thanks

fuzzwuzz
02-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Sarah, I'm very sorry for your loss :( *hugs*

when I hear The Dance I'm reminded of the sacrifice that Jesus made for me up on the Cross. Garth talk's about the sacrifice that people made in the video for the things that they beleived in. I'd like to think that Jesus made that sacrifice for me for something that He believed in.

God and peace,
Vanessa :) Yes, it was for US, the PEOPLE He loves and believes in more than anybody.