PDA

View Full Version : NHL Lockout

PJ
01-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I was reading an article about how retailers are being hurt by the NHL lockout because they aren't selling much merchandise right now since hockey fans are upset by the NHL lockout and because the stores aren't getting any new merchandise to sell. This got me to thinking...how much money is T4K losing due to the lockout? SinceTeammates added Top Shelf in conjunction with the NHL, they've had tons of players supporting the charity. They must also be hurting with this lockout.

C'mon guys, let's find some common ground so you can DROP THE PUCK and make everyone happy.

Just my two cents.....

wmcinnis
01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes so many people are hurting because of this not to mention TFK and probably numerous other charities.
It's amazing when you really think about the number of people affected by this...you're right, it's time for them to give in a little either way.
-Susan-

ProducerJ
01-28-2005, 08:36 PM
And don't forget all the people that the arenas and the teams employ! I know there were a bunch of layoffs over the summer as everyone prepared for the inevitable, and I'm sure there have been many more, not to mention all the contract employees (like me!) and the TV crew people / security / ushers who get paid by the game. And of course there are all the downtown merchants / hotels / restaurants who get big business from those 41 home games a year.

The Preds account for about a quarter of my annual income, so it's been a huge adjustment for us.

But I have to tell you, and I'd be curious to see if Jessica feels the same way, but our outlook on it in Nashville seems to be a very much "well to hell with them" attitude.

I guess, to borrow the line from JoDee (who borrowed it from Joe Diffie), my give a damn is busted.

J.

BLL
01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
They had a news story on how much money our arena district had lost with the Blue Jackets not playing- three restaurants and 8 sports bars have gone under, and the remaining businesses are just hanging on in hopes arena football will keep them in business. The ones still there all have excellent fod at great prices, whereas the others didn't so I'm sure that's a factor; still I feel sorry for anyone trying to make a living in a very recently revitalised area. The entire project was centerpieced about the Blue Jackets coming to town.

GottaB-GB
02-16-2005, 03:18 PM
An entire NHL season gone....what a waste! I think next season all the fans should boycott. Will they raise the cost of the seats and make the fans pay yet again for their mistakes? I think I'd rather spend my hard earned money on minor league hockey tickets to watch the guys who play hockey because they love it....not because they want to complain about only making 6 million a year. (*rolleyes*) we should all be so lucky

PJ
02-16-2005, 03:24 PM
I was going to post about it too but I'm still crying in my beer. I think the NHL will have to lower prices and offer great deals on season tickets if they'll have any chance to win fans back. I admit I'll probably still go to games because I love the sport but I'll hold out for the best offer.

LuvsTheGarth
02-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I was going to post about it too but I'm still crying in my beer. I think the NHL will have to lower prices and offer great deals on season tickets if they'll have any chance to win fans back. I admit I'll probably still go to games because I love the sport but I'll hold out for the best offer.

Amen! We have season tickets and I'm a little miffed about the fact that they held on to our money all season... plus, these jokers are complaining about a salary cap when most other sports have them. C'mon. And yes, they need to lower season ticket prices for next season - or at very least lower beer prices!!

wmcinnis
02-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Look how long it took MLB to get their fan base back....what 4 or 5 years.:o
Can't see it taking that long for hockey though, at least not in most Canadian cities.:rolleyes:
This whole thing kinda has my baffled...it's the owners wanting a salary cap when they're the ones in the first place that brought it to this point by offering millions of dollars contracts to have the best players. Have they not done this to themselves, really?? :confused:
-Susan-

ProducerJ
02-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Amen! We have season tickets and I'm a little miffed about the fact that they held on to our money all season...

Well... up till this point, they had the hope there would be a season for you to have season tickets. Are they not paying you interest on the money? I believe the Preds gave people the option of getting their money back or collecting interest.

I'm going to have to put my entire office on Ebay to pay my taxes this year.

J. <--- officially out of work Jumbotron director

LuvsTheGarth
02-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Well... up till this point, they had the hope there would be a season for you to have season tickets. Are they not paying you interest on the money? I believe the Preds gave people the option of getting their money back or collecting interest.

They paid us 4% simple interest which wasn't much, but I suppose better than nothing. WE would have gotten our money back per game missed had we paid for the entire season up front, but for the first time ever we paid in installments and therefore they held on to the money.

I'm just bitter :(

PJ
02-19-2005, 08:59 AM
I believe the Preds gave people the option of getting their money back or collecting interest.

The Preds did pay 3% but I was surrpised to receive a refund check on Monday for the games we had already missed. They never asked if we wanted to keep the funds in our account for next year. We still have a balance with the team and received a phone call on Weds which said we would be hearing from our tickets rep soon regarding options now that the season has been canceled. We haven't cashed the check yet in case we can just leave it in our account.

BTW, found this interesting:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=1&u=/ap/20050219/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_nhl_lockout