PDA

View Full Version : Christmas for Kids - Garth's tradition continues

ProducerJ
12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
I remember Garth and Sandy used to do this every year, very cool that the tradition has continued.

From Hazel's Hot Dish:
The always-generous Garth Brooks gave the 300 plus needy kids in Hendersonville, Tenn., a party prior to their Wal-Mart shopping spree hosted by country music's bus drivers. It must have been 20 years ago when the late Conway Twitty's bus driver started the Christmas for Kids shopping event. An adult accompanies each child, and this year a 21-year-old assistant knew firsthand the shopping trip means the world to kids. When she was but a tyke, the bus drivers provided Christmas for her and her siblings. What goes around ... comes around.

I didn't get to go this year (we had to go cheer against the Titans in Monday Night Football) but I know Garth used to donate merchandise that they'd sell ridiculously cheap. One year I got a ton of Scarecrow t-shirts and hats that I gave to people, and last year, my dear Music City GarthNutt got me an AWESOME Scarecrow "baby doll" t-shirt that we've never seen elsewhere. They didn't sell them on the C2C tour. I wear that thing everywhere!

Anyway, it's pretty neat that even though Garth doesn't spend much time in Nashville anymore, he hasn't forgotten.

Merry Christmas everyone!
:)
J.

sandis
12-20-2004, 10:17 PM
How awesome!! :D I love how he's still so involved.

I have some friends that went to this, mainly to see Wy and her bus (I know, big surprise ;) ). They said it was great! They even got their pics taken with her, laying on her bed. LOL!!!

-sandi

fuzzwuzz
12-20-2004, 11:08 PM
It's been 12 years now!! And the customers ROCK!!!!!! :)

Skydancer
12-21-2004, 11:20 AM
It sure is great that he still does it! :) Sounds like a really cool event. Thanks for posting that, Joyce.

TammyLS
12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Very cool! I love how so many people that Can, Do! There are so many people out there that have nothing, and it's great to see that there are still people that care about them, and do what they can! Good For Garth!
I know that I try to instill in my boys the desire to give, to help others, and we always give to Toys for Tots, and spend 90 minutes every Dec. ringing bells for the Salvation Army...it may not be much, but for 3 young boys, hopefully it's instilling in the knowledge that so many out there have much less then they do, and that they should do what they can to help...I hope!
Thanks Joyce for posting this...very, Very Cool!