PDA

View Full Version : From HipHop to Garth

MomDuke
12-03-2004, 08:46 PM
I hope you can help. My son passed away recently, he was a published and recorded hiphop musician and poet. Being long time Garth fans, we knew that in private moments, he also listened to Garth - but we didn't think his friends knew....... Garth is a long way from hiphop. Last night, a friend shared a story with us. A few months ago, at the place they both worked, there was the addition of karaoke night. It didn't surprise anyone when my son took the mike - but they stepped back when he announced that was going to sing "The River". She said that she and his boss were wide-eyed, hoping no one threw things at him - actually singing - and singing country - this was too much to even imagine. But there he was, do rag and hat and pants around his hips.... but he belted it out ... brought the house down. We have a photo from that night:)

Anyway, I understand that Garth may not actually read these posts, but we want to include those lyrics on my son's online Memorial site. I don't know how to get permission or if it's okay to post them just because they are on the internet. Can someone help us?

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
12-03-2004, 08:55 PM
MomDuke ~

A VERY touching story! :) I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for coming to PG and sharing this, I'm sure that a lot of people will be touched by it... maybe even Garth, himself (rumor has it that he does indulge in coming here to read once in a while!)

I'm sorry, I'm not the one to help you with your question... I do not know all of the 'ins and outs' of the 'rights' and all... but I'm sure that someone (one of the moderators) will be along before too long and be able to help you out!

Take care and God Bless!!!

DeeDee :)

Garthmedic
12-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Please accept my condolensces on the loss of your son. I don't have the answer either, but I can just about guarantee you that some PG'er will.

Welcome to the planet.

--spud--:)

Skydancer
12-03-2004, 10:00 PM
A very touching story indeed! And deepest sympathies on your loss.

As for your question, lots of fan sites use the lyrics without obtaining formal/written permission and nothing ever happens to them. However it is very considerate of you to ask permission. I think the lyrics are owned by Garth's record label, Capitol Nashville. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Again, best wishes... thanks for the story, and my condolences.

Take heart,
Sky

Monica Lockhart
12-04-2004, 01:15 AM
MomDuke,

First off, my deepest sympathy goes to you and your family. We welcome you with a big hug here to PlanetGarth!

I'd love to visit your son's memorial site. Post the link here for us next time you visit.

I would start by contacting Garth's management to obtain permission.

You can write to GBM (Garth Brooks Management)
1111 17th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37212

If you email me I will give you their phone #.

Best of Luck!

Monica

monica@planetgarth.com

MomDuke
12-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Thank you each for your kindness. We miss him so much I could never say in words but he had so many - left us with hours of recordings and lyrics. His memorial site is www.john-fernandes.memory-of.com . If you visit, please light a candle - as Denise said it best - we light them for you but the help us to find our way.

Thanks for the phone number, I hope to call on Monday and ask permission. If I can't on Monday then will try on Tuesday. I can't really count on myself every day right now. But thank you all for kindness and response :)

MomDuke
01-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Ok, I'm getting frustrated. I called them and then faxed in writing as they asked. Knowing that the wheels turn slowly. I understand, but at the same time I want them to turn faster. All I want is permission to post "The River" lyrics on my son's memorial site. He has been gone 10 weeks tomorrow.

My son was a musician. In the early years, he often heard Garth because we played country and saw Garth in concert several times. As he got older he found his place in music, HipHop style. One of his songs, "Grain if Sand" was recorded on a CD called "Cultural Starvation 1". In the last months of his life, he returned to country openly, singing at a local club he frequented - not a country kind of place - but he sang Garth songs every "mic nite", always ending with "The River". We want add this story to his memorial, including the words, since so many do not know them - I know... imagine that!:)

Cute story.... when Garth's first baby was born, I took a birthday cake to my office. They said Garth who?? I was so shocked... We had just moved to NY from Texas ... I couldnt imagine anyone did not know of Garth. Of course my staff was educated that day and I hope they still remember :)

Back to the issue: If anyone has an idea of how to speed up the process, please let me know. Thanks.

MomDuke

Help us to celebrate his life... You can visit and light a candle at www.john-fernandes.memory-of.com

Angels4BobSeger
01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Ok, I'm getting frustrated. I called them and then faxed in writing as they asked. Knowing that the wheels turn slowly. I understand, but at the same time I want them to turn faster. All I want is permission to post "The River" lyrics on my son's memorial site. He has been gone 10 weeks tomorrow.

My son was a musician. In the early years, he often heard Garth because we played country and saw Garth in concert several times. As he got older he found his place in music, HipHop style. One of his songs, "Grain if Sand" was recorded on a CD called "Cultural Starvation 1". In the last months of his life, he returned to country openly, singing at a local club he frequented - not a country kind of place - but he sang Garth songs every "mic nite", always ending with "The River". We want add this story to his memorial, including the words, since so many do not know them - I know... imagine that!:)

Cute story.... when Garth's first baby was born, I took a birthday cake to my office. They said Garth who?? I was so shocked... We had just moved to NY from Texas ... I couldnt imagine anyone did not know of Garth. Of course my staff was educated that day and I hope they still remember :)

Back to the issue: If anyone has an idea of how to speed up the process, please let me know. Thanks.

MomDuke

Help us to celebrate his life... You can visit and light a candle at www.john-fernandes.memory-of.com
I am so sorry to hear about your son. I pray that God will comfort you.

If you ever need or want a lending ear. I am Angels4BobSeger@aol.com
and also rocknrollsandy@yahoo.com

Good luck with what you would like to promote.

Sandy

MomDuke
02-04-2005, 10:52 PM
OK. I give up on waiting for a response feom Garth's producers. It's been a long while and no response at all. I have seen Garth in concert a half dozen times and can not believe that he would personally object, so I included The River on my son's memorial. I have to believe that he is just so inundated that he has not been able to respond.

If you have a minute to visit.. please light a candle, as we treasure them. Thank you.

Nina

www.John-Fernandes.Memory-Of.com

MomDuke
02-04-2005, 11:45 PM
GarthFan.. Thank you... You couldn't have known but so often I told him to follow his Captain........... Thank you for the candle :)