PDA

View Full Version : Dateline...FALLUJA, Iraq, Nov. 18

Paula
11-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Garth's name does come up when you least expect it...
Published Sunday, November 21, 2004

In Falluja, Young Marines Saw the Savagery of an Urban War

By DEXTER FILKINS
New York Times

FALLUJA, Iraq, Nov. 18 - Eight days after the Americans entered the city on foot, a pair of marines wound their way up the darkened innards of a minaret, shot through with holes by an American tank.

The marines of Bravo Company often fought over the packets of M&M's that came with their rations. Sitting in their barracks, they sang along with the Garth Brooks paean to chewing tobacco, "Copenhagen," named for the brand they bought almost to a man:

Copenhagen, what a wad of flavor
Copenhagen, you can see it in my smile
Copenhagen, hey do yourself a favor, dip
Copenhagen, it drives the cowgirls wild

Full article is here (http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041121/ZNYT03/411210459).It was cute seeing the reference to M&M's and Garth in the same paragraph. I'm not too sure about the connection to Garth and the song Copenhagen. I don't remember him ever singing it, just "Chuck and Rodeo" during the opening of some of his shows...and, of course, Chris LeDoux.

Paula

Skydancer
11-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks for finding that, Paula! :) Very interesting connection!

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
11-22-2004, 08:13 PM
:cool: , Paula, thanks for posting it! :)

wvsweety2003
11-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey Thanks for that Paula..I wanted to tell you all that I just found out a very dear friend of mine got killed in Falluja over the weekend details are still sketchy but I know he is an angel now with my Stephanie ..God Bless

Tina

Skydancer
11-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Nice to see you again, Tina! :) And God Bless you. My condolences on the death of your friend. May he and Stephanie watch over you, your friends and family...

Jude
11-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Tina
My thoughts are with you and with your friend's family. My foster daughter came back but there are many that never will.

Angels4BobSeger
11-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank you for that posting. But the most important thing is we need to pray for our troops over there. I mean did we make the right choice for President?

I believe so. Kerry would have given our nation to the terrorists.

No matter what he says. I am sorry about the person who was killed over there. Pray just keep praying.

Paula
11-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Tina, sorry to hear about your friend. My nephew is in Kuwait now and will be heading to Iraq soon. We keep hoping that things will settle down and our boys and girls can come home.

Paula

wvsweety2003
11-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks and yes we do need to SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!! no matter how political people may say it is or isn't doesn't matter at this point..We all have a connection to this terrible war.. I think people should put all feelings aside and stand together as a nation no matter what..Some may not agree with it but nevertheless people our family, friends are dying everyday over there.
I know Steve is with Stephanie now both angels who were taken too soon.. I know he will "HOLD HER HAND WHILE SHE CROSSES THE STREETS OF HEAVEN"
Love you all and GOD BLESS!!! HUGGSSSSS

TINA

wvsweety2003
11-24-2004, 01:09 AM
I wanted to show you the 2 special angels that is looking out for us now...put a face to the name ..This pic is of Steve.. Such a doll and a Very Very Proud Marine.. HE sure Loved Steph and Kristie ...and of course a pic of Steph I know you all seen but its my favorite

Love ya all Tina

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
11-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Tina ~

I'm SO sorry to hear about your friend... God Bless you, his friends and family... I can't imagine and hope I never have to know... take care and lean on Him, okay?

DeeDee :)