PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Garth & Award Shows

Carol Ann
11-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Ever since the CMA's aired, I've been thinking about the fact that neither Garth or Trisha were in attendance. In fact, ever since Trisha took her break she hasn't been at any of the award shows. My question is two part. Part one is who is invited to the CMA's, AMA's etc.? Even if an Artist isn't recording anymore, like Garth, is he still invited to either attend or present? You'd think with the impact he has had on country music that they'd want him involved in some way in these shows. What I'm wondering is whether he's invited and if he is just declining the invitation. The second question is does anyone know why Garth doesn't attend. It almost seems like since he's retired he wants to distance himself from the Country Music world. Even before Trisha took her break and did attend those last few shows, she was there alone even though everyone knew her and Garth were a couple. I have to wonder if once she's back with her new CD if she'll always be attending these types of events alone. Anyone have any thoughts?

Carol

luvsgarth62
11-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I've wondered why you don't see him at award shows anymore too. You'd think he'd get invited, I mean he's the biggest and best thing to happen in country music, since, like ever. Maybe he just wants quiet time to watch them at home with his girls or something. I don't know, but I sure miss him and the excitement that comes with knowing he's gonna be on TV.

I have no doubt that he will come back to his fans when the time is right, but in the meantime, I'm happy for him, but I'm also a teensy bit sad, but there's always all the videos and CD's:)

-Alicia

ProducerJ
11-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I can answer the "Who gets invited" question for the CMA's. (I"m sure it all is similar for the ACM's, but I'm not an ACM Member... I do know that they open up their show to the public.)

CMA Members are "allowed" to purchase tickets for the show. Sterling Members (individual people like moi) are allowed to buy 2 tickets. ($150 for the cheap seats in the balcony and the prices go up from there.) Even artists have to buy tickets for themselves, their family, their management, etc. I would assume different membership levels get different ticket allotments. So the short answer there is... it costs money to go to those things! (not to mention the dress, tux, shoes, limo, etc.) And I've been in the audience, I've been in the press room, and let me tell you, the best place to watch the show is at home on your couch.

NOW - as for the artists who are on the show performing and presenting, that is all determined by weeks and weeks and weeks of heavy handed negotiations. (Kind of like the voting.) The CMA wants certain artists to perform, obviously, but sometimes, in order to get that they have to give up a presenter spot. So using a hypothetical scenario... if the CMA wanted Garth to perform, Capitol might say, ok, I can make that happen, but you have to let Trace Adkins and Jamie O'Neal each present. I'm here to tell you, Faith singing for the Kris Kristofferson deal didn't happen easily. (Merely speculating... Tim getting the opening spot might have been part of the package...)

Every spot on the show is a showcase tool. Obviously, performances are the coveted spots, and every artist who performs usually sees a spike in sales the next week. I have heard artists talk about the presenting spots - being mad that their label couldn't get them on, having to go over and do a performance in the CMA offices to try to get one... it's a big deal to get your face on TV for those 3 minutes.

The whole night is really nothing more than a bunch of wheeling and dealing. It's the same way with the voting, sad as that is. The performance rights organizations are well known for Block Voting (registering all their employees as CMA members and then taking the ballots and doing the voting for their members.) If you look at CMA history, you'll note that the two biggest winners of all time are both songwriters. Hmmm.... Every year is different of course, depending on who's out and who's hot. This year was a pretty well known case up and down the row of two labels working together for their respective artists. (Y'all put your votes behind my artist in this category and we'll vote for your artist in that category.) Would those two artists have won anyway? One of them probably. But one label wasn't going to take the chance that their star was going to be so ticked off again this year that they went to another label's post-party, bad mouthing their own, because the label head had promised them a win that they didn't deliver.

So there's what I know about Award Shows 101. So back to the "is Garth getting invited and is just turning down the opportunity" question, my gut says he's probably not. It's well known here that he's retired and has retreated from the music industry, and really has no "reason" to want to go to these things. Besides, the man turned down the Olympics! He ain't got time for the CMA.

Will he come out with Trisha once she gets back into the circle? We'll just have to wait and see!
J.

wmcinnis
11-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Good question Carol....I've often wondered about this myself.

Thanks Joyce, I learned alot from your post.....I had no idea the artists have to pay for their seats also.:eek:
-Susan-

Angels4BobSeger
11-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Garth probably just doesn't want to attend. He has been to most of them before anyway. Family should come first I feel.

sandis
11-16-2004, 11:07 PM
That was a great read, Joyce! Very interesting....thanks!! :)

As far as Garth attending in the future, with Trisha... I would really hope that he will go, as her "date", if she's performing--and definitely if she's nominated. IMO, that's kinda what you do when you're in a relationship (regardless of what your status is in the business right now). And, she's certainly gone to plenty of events with him the past couple of years. :)

-sandi

kristen166
11-16-2004, 11:10 PM
I would assume if him and trisha stays as close as they seem and when she goes back to music and is nominated or there to sing he will go to some for her, and if they marry I reckon he wil go for sure to some. But like joyce have to wait and see. :)

Kristen

Rooster
11-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks, J! Is there a test later? ;)

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
11-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Thank You, Joyce, for taking the time to post that for us... it was very interesting and very informative (if not very sad, as well, but... oh well, I guess... that's business, eh?)

Carol Ann
11-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks, Joyce, your reply was very informative and I sure didn't know half of what you told us. I guess the thing we fans forget is that the music business is just that, a "business" and just like any business there is always deal making going on. It does take something away from this type of show, though. I can't believe artists have to pay to go.

Carol

TammyLS
11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Joyce, Thank you so much for all that information. I didn't know some of this, and it was great learning more about the whole process. I also didn't realize that they had to pay so much-I figured they paid something, but wow--if you have to pay for yourself, and your management and all, that is expensive!! I know that these artists aren't hurting for money, but still...as we all know, Trisha knows how to save her money, which now may explain why she doesn't go if she's not performing or nominated and such...
As for Garth attending the show if Trisha goes, I would hope he would, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't-as Joyce mentioned he didn't go with her when they were dating before, and Trisha went anyway...I guess we'll see. More importantly, I Pray that when Trisha comes off her break, and hits the road with her tour to support her new album that the Industry, her lable, Radio and everyone Promote it, and push it, so Trisha has the chance she deserves to be on top!

ProducerJ
11-17-2004, 10:54 AM
oh, one more thing I wanted to bring up... did y'all think it was odd that Vince wasn't even AT the show? He should have been sitting in the front row. What was with that?

GBronx
11-17-2004, 12:23 PM
YES!! Joyce, I was wondering the same thing!!! If you get any info on that please let us know!!

sandis
11-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Ya know... it did occur to me during the show that he wasn't there... and then I totally forgot about it!! Is he that ticked off at Nashville??? Or at the direction the music is going??

-Sandi

CountryBee
11-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Joyce's answer reminded me of something said by the late John Denver in one of his last interviews. Even though he had won Country Music Awards, he did not like Nashville. He said, although Nashville called itself "Music City", it was really "Music Business City"! He disliked the Business side of Nashville and the recording industry, in general. He wanted to write, record and perform his music for "the people", and not be concerned with all the other "stuff" that had to go along with it.
Bee

Paula
11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Shoot, I realize it's a business, but I think it stinks that winners aren't chosen honestly and on their merits. I hate favoritism in any shape or manner.

Paula

wmcinnis
11-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Ya, I found that strange too Joyce.....there's gotta be a story behind this.
-Susan-

Snow
11-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah... kind of strange Vince wasn't there after he's been their poster boy for so long but maybe he had other things to do.

If I'd known he wasn't going to be on, I might have watched it. Apologies to any Vince fans here.... but the guy has always just annoyed me.

LilCountryGirl
11-18-2004, 01:14 AM
I was watching the re run of the CMT's 100 greatest songs of country. Friends in low places was no.6. But the thing is instead of Garth performing. Chris Cagle did it instead. Im sorry, but no matter who you are you dont sing Garth unless you are singing along. I just thought it would have been better performed with Garth!!! I miss him performing. Just one more concert or something!!

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
11-18-2004, 07:25 PM
...but I think it stinks that winners aren't chosen honestly and on their merits.

I'm with ya' on that one, Paula. There should be SOMETHING about the music 'business' that isn't business, that isn't done just for the sake of selling a few more 'units'. Awards should be 'rewards', pure and simple, not be some big show put on *just to make more money*. Is there ANYTHING in Nashville that is done straight from the heart, because it's deserved, because it's the right thing to do, or is all just another gimmick(sp?) for self-promotion?

I realize that anytime you do something for a living, even music, there HAS to be a business side to it, you HAVE to make money, in order to survive and keep the machine going. BUT... I just think there should also be a time to lay that aside and just throw a big party for the sake of celebration!!! Isn't that what award shows are SUPPOSED to be???

Okay, stepping down now. ;)