PDA

View Full Version : Keith Urban...compared to GB

Paula
10-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Keith Urban was here a few days ago...unfortunately, I didn't go. This review was in the local paper.
If Monday night's effort at the Tsongas Arena proved anything, it's that he's a lot more than a pretty face. His 90-minute performance brought an arena-country feel to the semi-intimate setting of the Tsongas Arena, evoking memories of Garth Brooks in his heyday.

And, much like Brooks, the New Zealand-born Urban had the 5,000-plus audience in the palm of his hand right from the get-go. (He came onstage to the Beatles classic "I Wanna Hold Your Hand.") Teenage girls screamed at an almost obscenely loud level throughout the 90-minute show while Urban sang, strutted, and styled his way into their hearts.More here (http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,105~4838~2500529,00.html).

Paula

wmcinnis
10-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Keith Urban was here a few days ago...unfortunately, I didn't go.

I know how you feel Paula.....I missed his show around here last fall.:( It got rave reviews too.
Good article.....IMO, this is one artist that is deserving of the comparison to Garth. Can't wait til' he comes to Canada again.....I'm not gonna miss out next time.:)
-Susan-

Honeybunny31
10-30-2004, 01:56 AM
We will be going to see him on the 6th of November, 1st time.

I'm really looking foward to it.

TC,

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
10-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Any friend of Garth's is a friend of mine. Go Keith! Go get 'em. :)

GriggsGarthGirl
10-30-2004, 11:48 AM
The Tsongas Arena is tiny. Very small. It's not exactly hard to have the crowd in the palm of your hand in a place like that. I think you've gotta move into the big leagues before you can be compared to Garth. Otherwise it's like comparing the Minor League homerun champ to Barry Bonds--you won't know if he'll hit like that when he gets to the Majors. He's gotta make it to the show before you'll know.

fuzzwuzz
10-30-2004, 12:42 PM
'Next big thing' Urban playing Assembly Hall

The Associated Press He hears the talk on Music Row about being the next big thing.

He tries not to listen.

For more of this story, click on or type the URL below:

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2004/10/30/life/entertaiment/1003635.txt

sandis
10-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I saw Keith this past week!!! He was amazing... he really does have incredible amounts of talent, and tons of charisma. The best part is you can tell that he really loves what he's doing, and he's not in it for the "fame", whatever that is.

We saw him on the 26th, which was his bday--it was too cool!! Katrina Elam (his opening act), her band, some of the crew, and his mom (who's on tour with him) interrupted his set, sang to him, and brought out a cake; he was totally surprised. Not to mention, they were all dressed up in some kind of costume, and put this crown on his head... :D

-sandi

Harriet
10-31-2004, 03:35 PM
We (Wendy, Paige, Jo and I) saw Keith twice this week.. at the Beacon Theater here in the city on Wed. and on Sat. at the Taj in Atlantic City.
He puts on an awesome show and it was quite well staged to fit the requirements for mid-size theaters/arenas in my opinion.. I enjoyed the Beacon moreso than the Taj, mainly because of seat location (or should I say standing space)... we were first row both nights but the way the arena at the Taj is, we were way off to the side, and nowhere near the stage.. and the stage is higher and gated off so people cannot touch the stage as they can at the Beacon.. but I am off track already, lol...
What I wanted to say is, over the years that Keith has been on the rise, I have been fortunate enough to have seen him perform many times... he has never failed to amaze me with his guitar playing and the intensity of his performance in general. When all that stuff was going on about "who would be the next Garth" in the country press and the tabloids, and they kept asking would it be Tim? Toby?, I would think to myself, there will never be another to do what he did, but there can be others who take what he did and make it work for them. And in my opinion, Keith does this...he involves his audience throughout the show, he seems to be having a great time, and he has both the talent and the passion for his music that the audience justs "gets" for lack of a better word. And I think that is where the comparisons stem from.
On the way home from AC, the conversation led to just this subject. I said that I haven't had this good a time at shows since the old days, although of course, in a different way that defies explanation, so I won't even attempt that...
I think there are other ties that bind as well.. naturally, there is the Capitol connection, and the fact that Keith played on Double Live.. we know that Garth highly respects Keith as a musician.... both Chris McHugh and Jimmie Lee Sloas (drummer and bassist in the Chris Gaines band) are on this tour.. Jimmie Lee was playing in Keith's band for a short while and is now playing with Keith's opening act, Katrina Elam. He also produced her album... Chris McHugh is Keith's drummer... Keith's final number is These Are The Days and as he sings, one by one words light up overhead... one of them is BELIEVE... it's not that Keith, or anyone else for that matter has heir-apparent rights to Garth's place in country music, I just think the circle widens, that's all...

Oh, and on a personal note, the Garth connection continued too, since I ran into a few people from back in the day, lol... Jim and Cathy, it was GREAT to see you both!! and at the Beacon, we ran into Bob Doyle in the lobby! How funny is that? What a nice man he is...

Harriet

fuzzwuzz
10-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Yes! And it just keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger! Glad you had so much fun Harriet! Those are some good 'ol boys to be hanging around with. Wish I was there! :)

Skydancer
10-31-2004, 05:36 PM
To me, there will always only be one Garth Brooks. While Garth has gained so much respect and so much popularity among a general music audience, however, this invites comparisons to other country, and sometimes pop artists, or even someone who may be a friend of Garth.

I haven't paid much attention to Keith Urban, but from what I've heard, anyone who takes the example Garth set, as both a performer, and a person to heart is by all means worthy of being well-represented and well love.

It appears that Keith Urban is one of those people an industry as harsh and competitive as the music industry can be needs more of. Showbusiness has no shortage of self-glorified people who belittle others in the business to get attention.

While I think there will always be one Garth Brooks, and I don't think there will ever be "a next Garth Brooks," there will be a handful of artists who take everything and everyone to hear just as Garth did. That is an amazing feat in itself.

fuzzwuzz
10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
By us too. Gotta love him. No self glory there! :)

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-02-2004, 02:11 AM
He was in Seattle a few months ago, but I was unable to go see him then :( I'm hoping he'll come back soon. I think he is an amazing guitarist (and banjo player too) and would love to see him live :)

CC

clk2611
11-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Keith can sell out the big arena out here in Australia just like the best of any country music artist can do. Where ever Keith is out here there is always a large crowd behind him. We are very proud at how far he has gone, especially in tough US country music scene.
Well done Keith.

Paula
11-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Joyce sent this to me and asked me to post it since she can't get on PG right now with all the popups:
Keith Urban's Be Here Turns Platinum; Six Week Certification One Of The
Fastest Of The Year

November 5, 2004 - In just its sixth week on the charts, Keith Urban's Be Here has solidified its position as one of the year's fastest selling albums. Certified Platinum this week by the R.I.A.A. Be Here marks Urban's third consecutive Platinum recording and places his total sales near 5 million worldwide. Be Here, released on September 21st, has already firmly established Urban's position as a force with which to be reckoned, garnering unanimous critical praise. The album has produced his 5th overall #1 hit, "Days Go By," and its #1 debut chart position on Billboard's Country Album Chart marked the highest debut position of his career. The album also debuted at #3 on Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart.

"Platinum now feels like but a small building block in this incredible career," said Mike Dungan, President and CEO of Capitol Records Nashville. "We are just getting started with what will no doubt be remembered as one of the biggest records in Capitol history!"I'm not sure I agree with Dungan's statement. I don't doubt that it will be multi-platinum, but I don't think it will get anywhere close to selling 16 million.

Paula

sandis
11-07-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't know how much it'll sell, and yeah, not sure that anything can top Garth, but it's a great album. :)

If anyone hasn't given Keith a try yet, you should. I know that I (well, everyone :D) likes to talk about how very cute he is, but he really is much more than that. For some reason he seems to have gotten overlooked the past couple of years in Nashville, I guess by the "accomplishments" of other artists... but IMO he really is better, he doesn't seem to be "cyclical". I would love to see him take the Male Vocalist award at the CMA's on Tuesday, but I'm sure that won't happen. :rolleyes:

-sandi

olewis77
11-08-2004, 11:07 AM
I have seen Kieth several times and I think he is a great artist. However, I do not think ANYONE will ever be as big as Garth, or do the things Garth has done for the industry. I so agree that many to come will take lessons learned from Garth and make it work for them. Kieth is a good example of this, though he is still reletively young in the business. I have no doubt that he is a very intellegent, talented person, but it will take some time still to see if he has learned enough from Garth to be justifiably compared.

I have seen several new artists be humble and very friendly in the begining, then as their fame grows and their pockets get deeper, they become a victum of their own nature, or they fall prey to the celebrity statistic. I have not seen an artist in a long time who just wants to play their music for the people and not really care about the fame of it all, like Garth did. I think it will be a long time coming before anyone can step up and be on the same level as Garth.

It will take more than signing a few autographs and recording a few soul stirring songs to get there, and I for one am keeping a close eye on the live performances and fan interaction, that will show you more about an artist than how they appear on TV and what they say at interviews.

Olivia

OHMichelle
11-08-2004, 10:36 PM
There will NEVER EVER be another Garth. But Keith shares a few things with Garth. Just like Garth brought joy and absolute F-U-N to his shows, so does Keith. Other acts focus more on looking cool and trying to be sexy rather than having fun. Keith is easy on the eyes, but he doesnít get caught up in how he looks. He ROCKS on his guitars and doesnít care how sweaty he gets or how messed up his hair is (he has a great guitar-playing-head-swinging haircut!)

Keith is an amazingly talented musician. When he was opening for other acts for so many years, you only got a glimpse of his talent. Now that he is headlining his own tour, his talent shines bright. He plays a mean piano too!

His set fits him and his low-key ways. There arenít any high tech effects or bling like others have.

Keithís fan club is growing in leaps and bounds and he is unable to do Meet & Greets anymore, just like what happened to Garth. Gone are the days of Keithís unlimited M&Gís (although Iím told Keith has some cool things in the works for his fan club members).

Keith makes time for his fans. Before/after the shows he does come out, sign autographs, take pics and interact with the fans. He doesnít do it to Garthís caliber, but at least he does DO IT, unlike other artists who hide from their fans. No one has that uncanny Garth memory, but thatís just superhuman anyways and not fair to compare anyone to THAT. J

Keith has a great sense of humor too, like someone else we know. ;-) Heís an emotional guy ~ thereís a couple of his songs where he really goes back to the feelings he had when he penned the song and seems to relive the sadness and anger.

Keithís mum travels with him (remind you of anyone?!). Who better to keep her son in line?!

Heís been playing smaller venues since this is his 1st headlining tour. When he plays the big arenas, heís been only selling Ĺ of the seats and he sells out almost every city. No, he hasnít made it to selling out large arenas yet, but I would guess that his next tour he will.

If you havenít seen Keith and heís coming to your area, itís money well spent. Even if you arenít a fan of his music, I think you would enjoy watching a very talented guy do what he absolutely LOVES to do. The crowd is REALLY into being there and like Harriet said, they ďgetĒ Keithís music, just like we ďgetĒ Garth.

OHMichelle
11-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Way to go Keith for winning CMA's 2004 Male Vocalist of the Year!!!

You could tell his surprise was genuine and that speech was very touching. Glad his mum and dad were there to share it with him.

Rock on Keith. :-)

fuzzwuzz
11-09-2004, 11:14 PM
And just look at the guys he's keeping company with now! Who else was up for that award? Kenny? Alan? George? Tim maybe?

GBsgirl
11-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Keith was very touched and surprised. Very cool that his parents were there. I'm so happy he won !!!!!!!!!!! Shocked me to death, I thought for sure that Turtleman...... I mean Kenny Chesney was going to get the award. ( Sorry Chesney fans he just does NOTHING for me). Keith truly deserves this award :)

Pam
(doing the Snoopy dance in West Texas !!!)

dsdunnam
11-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Keith was very touched and surprised. Very cool that his parents were there. I'm so happy he won !!!!!!!!!!! Shocked me to death, I thought for sure that Turtleman...... I mean Kenny Chesney was going to get the award. ( Sorry Chesney fans he just does NOTHING for me). Keith truly deserves this award :)

Pam
(doing the Snoopy dance in West Texas !!!)
hi pam , you and i must have had the same reaction to keith winning tonight ! i was screaming and dancing too, i was also sooo shocked that he won. i thought my daughter and i were the only one's that called him turtle man lol, he does nothing for me either, im sure were going to hear about this though, oh well keith surely deserves this ! DONNA IN OKLAHOMA

sandis
11-10-2004, 11:37 AM
I think my neighbors were ready to call the police... I was screaming so loud when he won!!! :D :D :D

Very cool that he won... you could tell he was really touched. Yeay!! :)

-sandi

beckysue59
11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
hi pam , you and i must have had the same reaction to keith winning tonight ! i was screaming and dancing too, i was also sooo shocked that he won. i thought my daughter and i were the only one's that called him turtle man lol, he does nothing for me either, im sure were going to hear about this though, oh well keith surely deserves this ! DONNA IN OKLAHOMA

I completely agree about Kenny. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy, but he does nothing for me either (and he does have a certain turtle-like quality). LOL. I was thrilled that Keith won male vocalist. I wanted him to win but thought it was unlikely. I was very pleasantly surprised.:)

Skywise
11-10-2004, 04:53 PM
iwas glad to see Keith win, but I gotta say- He's no Garth- there is no comparison wiht anyone to Garth-

the only bad awards last night were those given to Tim McGraw (shudder!)

OHMichelle
11-10-2004, 08:25 PM
How funny having the Turtleman nickname for Kenny!!! I call him that TOO!!! When Keith and Deanna were opening for Kenny, I left after Keith was done while Kenny was on. I just don't "get" any Kenny excitement.

Debbie R
11-13-2004, 06:01 PM
I was really shocked and thrilled to see Keith win that award and it made it even cooler that he was so overwhelmed also! Keith is the first artist since Garth to get me back to any interest in country music. After listening to all his albums the similarity to Garth that strikes me most are the types of songs he records. Most have such a positive feeling about them and even the ones that are sadder have real meaning that you can relate to. So many male artists in country music today just seem to be puffing up their chests and being more into "being macho" than really singing about things in real life. Also I like that Keith's songs almost always talk about women respectfully and in a positive light. To see him almost break up at the awards show, really tells me he's a sensitive guy like Garth is!

I'm even more excited now to see his show in Chicago in December!!

Debbie

fuzzwuzz
12-06-2004, 01:02 PM
New album shows 'curse' now a blessing

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/music/article/0,1299,DRMN_54_3377338,00.html

Skywise
12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
New album shows 'curse' now a blessing

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/music/article/0,1299,DRMN_54_3377338,00.html
hmm- I'd be interested in more about how he did session work w/ GArth- he's not Garth by any stretch, but it was nice to get a mention from my hometown paper (at least to see it quoted online!)