PDA

View Full Version : The Thunder Rolls Video

ChickenLady
10-22-2004, 10:26 PM
I feel a bit silly here, I've been listening the Garth for a lot of years, and recently my daughters caught on. But it's his video in question. They recently saw, for the first time, The Thunder Rolls. I have always been under the impression that it was Garth himself playing the abusive husband, but it's been a lot of years since I've seen it. The girls say no way. I have searched too long now for the cast listing and have decided it's time to ask the experts. Can someone here please shed some light here? Is it or is it NOT Garth playing the husband in the video? Thanks in advance for your help!

fuzzwuzz
10-22-2004, 10:29 PM
That's correct

ChickenLady
10-22-2004, 10:33 PM
WOW, you guys are fast!!! And YIPEEEE, I was right! Thanks so much for such a fast reply!! Garth fans are THE BEST!! Yes we are? Arent we? :)

phillygirl4garth
10-23-2004, 12:25 AM
If I remember correctly, on one of the tapes with TTR video has Garth commenting on how he wanted to play the bad guy. And also enjoyed having all that hair...lol

Denise

ChickenLady
10-23-2004, 12:42 AM
You're right! I had forgotten about that!!! He DID want to play the bad guy and what a job he did of it! The looks in his eyes sent chills down my spine! I can't believe the rap that video got back then! GRAPHIC??? Compared to WHAT!!! Even then it was mild!

Skydancer
10-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Yeah... no worse than Goodbye Earl (I never liked that song, or video, no educated reason- just didn't click with me- maybe they're even and I'm smarting because I don't care for Goodbye Earl, heh)... and some others that are out there. And especially no worse than the stuff many rap artists are putting out.

Actually, I think it was The Thunder Rolls that helped Martina McBride's Independence Day video be aired... someting about how the same company that did away with The Thunder Rolls had a change in heart somehow and played Independence Day... something like that... anyone who knows feel free to elaborate...

It's been a long time since I've seen this as well...

olewis77
10-24-2004, 10:04 PM
It is my understanding that Martina fought to keep the video on CMT due to the message of the song, something about the video being a visual manafestaiton of the song itself, and how both combined wouldhelp the cause. I'm not real clear on this, and I don't know who made the video as far as director and company behind it, but if you want to clear this up keep an eye on Contrversay on CMT, they did an episode with her and that song/video.

sandis
10-25-2004, 02:04 AM
I can't believe this.. I've seen that Controversy a million times and I'm completely blanking on it now! LOL... I remember that in the beginning the radio stations wouldn't play her song, and she said she personally called some stations to ask why and to try to persuade them to play it.

As far as the video, the CMT spokesperson said something about having a committe to decide if videos get aired or not, and they decided this one would get aired.... but I don't remember if they pulled it later or not, due to viewers' "complaints"? Or did it always stay in rotation?

-sandi

ProducerJ
10-25-2004, 02:09 AM
Back to The Thunder Rolls...

Delaynie chose "The Hits" to listen to today while we were cleaning house. She decided that The Thunder Rolls was her favorite song. When I asked her why she said, because it's about nature, and I love nature!

LOL
J.

Skydancer
10-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Back to The Thunder Rolls...

Delaynie chose "The Hits" to listen to today while we were cleaning house. She decided that The Thunder Rolls was her favorite song. When I asked her why she said, because it's about nature, and I love nature!

LOL
J.

Hahahahahaha! That's cute! :)

sandis
10-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Delaynie is adorable. :)

I was just getting ready for work, and I think I just remembered one more thing about "Independence Day": sadly enough, I'm pretty sure they said during the Controvery episode that it started getting airplay and going up on the charts during the whole OJ Simpson saga. Ugh.

-sandi

Angels4BobSeger
10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
My youngest daughter Amy. This was her favorite video and song of Garths for a long time when she was growing up. I did not know that much about the song till the posts.

Thanks.

Sandy

Skydancer
10-26-2004, 02:52 AM
This is kind of off the video topic, but still related to the Thunder Rolls- does anyone know if there is a studio version with the third verse on it?? You know... she runs back down the hallway, and through the bedroom door...

I have only seen that verse included in concerts and on the live album and am wondering if he ever recorded & published a studio version??