PDA

View Full Version : mayor of Winnipeg on Garth

fuzzwuzz
10-18-2004, 10:49 PM
SAM KATZ, MAYOR OF WINNIPEG

As former co-owner Nite Out Entertainment, Katz has seen hundreds of bands at the (Winnipeg)Arena. But as a fan, the 1983 Supertramp show tops his list.

"It was absolutely awesome. I was a big Supertramp fan. Concerts to me are the excitement of how the people react, and the fans were just so into it ... responding to every single word."

Another of his fondest memories is seeing country superstar Garth Brooks working as a roadie during his first visit to Winnipeg in 1993.

"He was a major success at the time when I saw him on the rigging doing the work of the roadies. It blew me away. He wasn't helping them, they were helping him. He was up there in his cowboy boots, climbing up the rigging working with the boys. It was something I never thought I'd see in this world."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Spotlight/2004/10/17/672505.html

Skydancer
10-19-2004, 04:46 AM
Nice to see perspectives from different parts of the world. I don't typically think of Canada as a place where he is the most well-respected (well, certainly not like he is down here... even though he did win their Juno in 1992 (I think) for Best Foreign Artist.)

Yet another random act of kindness from our G-Man... :)

wmcinnis
10-19-2004, 07:25 AM
He's also won the Canadian Country Music Awards Best Selling Artist Award five times.....his last being 'Scarecrow." :) Check the PG Archives, it's there.

Of course he's respected here in Canada and of course it probably wouldn't be as much as he is the US, that's just a given.....just as Shania Twain or Terri Clark because they're Canadian artists are more likely to be respected here more than in the US. Although Terri's growing on you pretty quick.;)

I think Garth is respected everywhere he goes...I have yet to read a review from a venue that said otherwise.
-Susan-

Skydancer
10-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Of course he is... just that having lived in the South all my life, it doesn't seem people think of Country Music when they go further north. Maybe respected wasn't the word... I guess "favored..." I don't typically think of Country music when I think of Canada... their country music audience was bigger than I thought... but sure, he's got fans worldwide, no doubting that! :)

starwood
10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
When you think of Canada think of the same things as you do any of the States. Sure there are obvious differences but we get the same TV channels, the same magazines, we're exposed to all the same influences, etc, that our American neighbors are.

Garth was here in Winnipeg several times and as I recall, sold out his show every time. The main country music station - qx104 fm - plays Garth songs on a regular basis.

In fact right now they are running a contest where the 10th caller wins $1000 when the 'mystery' song is played. Right now its Garth's "Friends In Low Places".

Karen :)

Garthis#1
10-22-2004, 06:21 PM
wmcinnis, first of all Garth and Shania are huge in Canada and the States the same. When you have 2 artists that big that cross over they are popular everywhere. Terry Clark can't even headline her own tour in her own country, Shania is a huge star worldwide and has a huge fans base all over North American and the world. In fact Shania holds the world record for best selling country album of alltime in the States and worldwide and her tours gross 100 million worldwide. Terry Clark may be liked in the small country community of Canada and she may get radio country airplay in the states but she is small time when you compare her to huge stars like Shania and Garth.
So to answer your comment, Shania is just as popular in Canada as the States and worldwide as can be proven by her sales and tour numbers and huge network tv specials in the States. Bottom line is Shania is one of the biggest stars in the world in any genre.

I wish Garth would come of retirement so my two favorite megastars would be around(Shania and Garth) Too bad that Shania is cutting down her apperances because of family. These two artists made the bigggest impact on country music ever.

wmcinnis
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
First off, welcome to PG, Garthis#1:)

You missed one of the key words in my and Sky's posts and that was "respected." That was what I was replying about.....not the sales or numbers.

-Susan-

Garthis#1
10-22-2004, 10:43 PM
First off, welcome to PG, Garthis#1:)

You missed one of the key words in my and Sky's posts and that was "respected." That was what I was replying about.....not the sales or numbers.

-Susan-
No, I didn't miss that word. If you think Nashville stiffs are the end all of opinion then you are mistaken. Shania is very well respected all around the world and has won hundreds of awards for singing and song writing worldwide including many grammy awards. Terry Clark is in the minor leagues when you compare her to a huge star like Shania. Not only that but Shania also lives a clean and respectable life unlike Terry Clark who drinks and drives and jokes about drinking all the time.
Shania has ten times the talent, is ten times more beautiful, has ten times the class and is ten times more successful. PLease if you are going to compare anything at least compare Shania with someone who is in her mega star category.
Seems to me that Reba,Vince Gill and Dolly love Shania and respect her alot.

wmcinnis
10-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Wow, you need to simmadown some.;)

Can anyone tell me where in my posts that I compared Shania to Terri or for that matter when I used the term "respected" that I was referring to the industry????????:confused:

By the way Garthis#1, you're not talking to someone who dislikes Shania....I have her C.D's, I've read her biography, I would love to see her live someday....so if you're looking for an arguement, you've come to the wrong place!

-Susan-

sandis
10-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Wow, are we back to this again? :eek: Isn't it enough that Terri is the first Canadian woman asked to join the Opry... not Shania? ;) That alone should show how respected she is within the country music community worldwide.

ProducerJ
10-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Is this identity #3 for the anti-Gretchen Shania fan, or did I miss one?

J.

sandis
10-24-2004, 01:06 AM

J.

;)

-sandi

wmcinnis
10-24-2004, 10:52 AM

J.

LOL Joyce.....must be.
-Susan-

Garthis#1
10-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Wow, are we back to this again? :eek: Isn't it enough that Terri is the first Canadian woman asked to join the Opry... not Shania? ;) That alone should show how respected she is within the country music community worldwide.
Sandis, now that is pretty funny, worldwide country community? ha,ha. What all 500 of them. Let me clue you in a little. Terry can't make it anywhere so she sticks around Nashville hoping that they like her. She has no where to go so she plays on the Opry and makes a lot of apperances. Shania is a worldwide star and doesn't have time to make apperances just so she can be a member of the Opry. Here is a fact for you, Shania's name will be known worldwide forever. Who will ever remember Terry Clarks name except her family. She is not even famous in her own country. Shania is an icon worldwide and on 5 walk of fames around the world including the Canadian Walk of Fame. Why can't Terry even get on her own countries walk of fame?

ProducerJ
10-25-2004, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry, but I just do NOT understand why this person is allowed to post here under three different user names and make vicious attacks against very talented country music singers who have never done anything to (or heard of) him/her.

I have worked with Shania on a number of occasions, and she has always been incredibly kind and gracious, and respectful of other artists. This person is an embarrassment to her fan base, and clearly not a Garth fan, because he/she doesn't post anything that doesn't have to do with cutting down other female singers in order to boost up Shania.

Honey, Shania doesn't need your help and we sure don't need your kind around here.

J.

Garthis#1
10-25-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm sorry, but I just do NOT understand why this person is allowed to post here under three different user names and make vicious attacks against very talented country music singers who have never done anything to (or heard of) him/her.

I have worked with Shania on a number of occasions, and she has always been incredibly kind and gracious, and respectful of other artists. This person is an embarrassment to her fan base, and clearly not a Garth fan, because he/she doesn't post anything that doesn't have to do with cutting down other female singers in order to boost up Shania.

Honey, Shania doesn't need your help and we sure don't need your kind around here.

J.
First of all I am a huge Garth and Shania fan, second of all, I have not broken any rules. Thirdly, I have no respect for someone who drinks and drives like Terry Clark and who laughs and jokes about getting drunk like she did at this years CCMA's.

I defend Garth or Shania whenever they are attacked.

ProducerJ
10-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Ok... so that explains what you have against Terri... what did Gretchen ever do to you?

And no one attacked Shania - all Susan did was use her name in the same sentence as Terri's in talking about popular Canadian artists.

Garthis#1
10-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Ok... so that explains what you have against Terri... what did Gretchen ever do to you?

And no one attacked Shania - all Susan did was use her name in the same sentence as Terri's in talking about popular Canadian artists.

The only reason I have a different name is because I forgot my password but I have posted on many Garth topics also.
As for you question about newcomer I am here for a good time Wilson, I think her lifestyle explains it all. She chews tobacco and smokes at the same time as she proudly said in an article. She gets into fights and she is butt ugly. I am just giving my opinion since you asked. Nashville can have her for the 2 or so year she will be around because no other genre or continent cares about her. She tried to release her album and single in the U.K. after she did some promo there and it bombed even in the country music circles. She is stuck in a redneck box with no place to go but the same generic songs that country radio pumped out 20 years ago.

Garthmedic
10-25-2004, 12:54 AM
GARTHIS#1... You can use the PG password-retrieval system to get your old username and password.

Since it is a violation of PG guidelines to have multiple login names, I am going to suggest you post under your previous names, or risk being suspended.

--spud--:)

Garthis#1
10-25-2004, 01:08 AM
GARTHIS#1... You can use the PG password-retrieval system to get your old username and password.

Since it is a violation of PG guidelines to have multiple login names, I am going to suggest you post under your previous names, or risk being suspended.

I am not using any other name but this one so what does it matter. I wrote down the password so I will remember it this time.

Garthmedic
10-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Since this thread has wandered so far off topic, I'm sticking a fork in it and calling it done.