PDA

View Full Version : Rounder Records releases Moody Bluegrass

fuzzwuzz
10-09-2004, 09:48 PM
As some of you know I'm a Moody Blues nut for life and this surprise news of a bluegrass tribute to their music gives me cause for celebration! Recently, after finding my own country roots through Chris Gaines, I had written Justin Hayward I thought the band was ready to finally explore their own country roots like I believed they were more than ready for. Now this! :)

ROUNDER RECORDS TO RELEASE MOODY BLUEGRASS:
A NASHVILLE TRIBUTE TO THE MOODY BLUES, SEPTEMBER 28
FEATURING GUEST APPEARANCES BY ALISON KRAUSS, TIM O’BRIEN, ALISON BROWN, SAM BUSH, STUART DUNCAN, JOHN COWAN,
AND MANY OTHERS
http://www.moodybluegrass.com/index.html

Bluegrass and The Moody Blues. There is no way in hell this is a mix or a match. Or so I thought when I received this disc. Now, I’ve always been a fan of bluegrass because I like its earthiness. It’s real and satisfying; fun to listen to. Anyone who has seen the Coen Brothers’ classic, O Brother, Where Art Thou will attest to the friendliness of bluegrass and down south standards. Settled. But how do you take the Blues music and reinterpret it as bluegrass? Well..sit back and let’s talk.

The classical flow of The Moody Blues is what the band used to move their music. And we all know just how well it worked. Many albums and singles, live issues, collections and box sets later, there’s a legacy in place. But along come a concept and a group of vocalists and instrumentalists skilled in the art of bluegrass and something rather interesting and kind of magical happens.

This album of 12 classic Moody Blues songs gets reworked to reflect the bluegrass genre and yet retain the mysticism of the lyrics. What occurs is a delightful album that is both captivating and enjoyable. Despite my initial reticence before slipping the disc into the player, I actually became absorbed before the second chorus arrived on the first track, “Lovely to See You”. Now that song is actually my favourite of Moody Blues classics and I like it here. I do miss the spoken intro to the song but that’s all right as the instrumental playing is tuned in dead on. While you’ll know this is bluegrass, you’ll marvel at the attention to the detail of the music, note for note. There’s respect and love at work here.

They even track “Nights in White Satin” here, as difficult a classically influenced Blues song as there is to reinterpret as a bluegrass tune. But they pull it off. With a visit by tenor Alison Krauss and the employment of a string section composed of violins, violas, cello, and mandolin, what you get is nothing short of spectacular and may be the gem of the album in its presentation.

If you’re a Moody Blues fan, this collection of re-imagined Blues songs will fit into your collection and do it well. For the rest of you, even if you moderately enjoyed The Moody Blues, you’ll appreciate the bluegrass treatments here. I know. Look how well you received the soundtrack for O Brother, Where Art Thou.

All in all, this tribute to The Moody Blues, realized as bluegrass, is the stuff of rock n roll; the kind of rock n roll that embraces everything. I love that kind of rock.

Track Listing:

Lovely to See You /Land of Make Believe / The Voice / The Other Side of Life / It's Up to You / Ride My See Saw / I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band / Legend of a Mind / Your Wildest Dreams / Nights in White Satin / Late Lament / Never Comes the Day.

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/MoodyBluegrassTributeCD.html

Posted on Fri, Oct. 08, 2004

VARIOUS ARTISTS BLUEGRASS SPIN ON MOODY CLASSICS

BLUEGRASS

Sure, hearing indelible Moody Blues classics "Nights in White Satin" and "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock & Roll Band" recast in bluegrass arrangements is interesting.

But that's not the ultimate joy of this disc, the brainchild of producer/mandolinist David Harvey.

Venerable and distinctly British, The Moody Blues earned a bad critical rap for overblown productions, incorporation of classical music and lyrical pomposity.

But when you strip their material down to the core, as is done throughout "Moody Bluegrass," the songwriting ability of main Moodies Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Ray Thomas becomes apparent.

For the most part, song selection for this project is impeccable, blending the familiar (such as "In Your Wildest Dreams" and "Legend of a Mind") with the more obscure ("Lovely to See You," "Never Comes the Day" and "Land of Make Believe.")

And Harvey smartly stays away from the trippier Moodies stuff (the exception being the Timothy Leary ode "Legend of a Mind") that would sound downright silly in the high lonesome style.

But, as mentioned above, the thrill is not hearing the hits, but beautiful gems such as "Never Comes the Day," sung earnestly by John Cowan.

The original version of the song, off the Moodies' album "On the Threshold of a Dream," features acoustic guitar throughout and a shuffling, harmonica-driven cadence backing the chorus, which Harvey's cast of players take a step further with a vocal quartet in-the-round arrangement, reminiscent of the Doobie Brothers' "Black Water."

This vocal quartet - Odessa Settles, Ira Wayne Settles, Calvin Settles and Todd Suttle - also enlivens the album's opening cut, "Lovely to See You."

This collection is a must-have for any Moody Blues fan and could be enjoyed equally by any acoustic music aficionado who might not know who Timothy Leary is, or that he's dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues'

HIGHS | "Land of Make Believe" and "Never Comes the Day" are standout tracks, both magnifying The Moody Blues' gifts for melody and wistful lyrics.

LOWS | "Ride My Seesaw" comes off as Hee-Hawish corny.

SUMMARY | A conglomerate of progressive, Nashville, Tenn.-based bluegrass musicians, including Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, and Larry Cordle, take a crack at The Moody Blues' catalog, with surprising success.

Kent Kimes, The Sun News
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/entertainment/nightlife/9866243.htm

fuzzwuzz
10-09-2004, 09:54 PM
If so, thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This means ALOT to me! :)

fuzzwuzz
10-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Some of the Moody fans at Higher&Higher are "getting it" with this project! That it's all about the LOVE!!! And reaching out to the other with love's display! Some don't get it at all. But give it some time. :)

By the way, who is Tim O'Brien and what's he got to do with Garth? He's all over this thing.

Here's one fan's perspective I can fully relate to:

Re: Moody Bluegrass sound clips
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i , for one, am looking forward to getting this tribute c.d.
i am an appreciator of blue grass and recognize it as an important part of americana. the roots of rock and roll can be traced to blue grass as easily as it can to blues, not to mention negro spirituals and country music.

blue grass is a valid art form of true american music and decended from the setllers in appalachia that were from england, ireland and scotland. the folks music they brought with them evolved into what is blue grass today. i recognize most of the musicians that perform on the c.d. and appreciate their talents. they are leaders in their genre and are certainley worthy of respect and consideration. i am not saying every one has to like it. but give it a listn with an open mind and realize that these people that are playing this music love and respect the moodys as much as we do. after all, imitaion is the sincerest form of flatery !!!!

pbaub getting out his banjo

speaking of which, that reminds me that the banjo has been used many times in rock musc by people like buffalo springfield , neal young and others, the mandolin has been used by many as well, like bruce hornsby, the band the eagles and many more. also,the dobro guitar has been used by more than i can count by so many..aero smith , johnny winters, the eagles on and on and on, the violin or "fiddle" well where do you want me to start? jefferson airplane? paul mc cartney, the moodys ? all these are primarily used for blue grass. intersting world we are in when artisits can switch back and forth and use other instruments not normally used within their style to create more music and explore more sounds to put together to create........jeee!! sounds like the moody blues!!!lololololololol

i have listened to it several times through today and the more i listen, the more i like it.some of you are going to call me a complete idiot, but what else is new :-)

my two favorites are" land of make believe" and "never comes the day".

i find,like phildil said, they are treating this music with a sincere approach. almost a reverance. there is a wonderful simplicity to this that is refreshing to hear in an album of all covers. the producers really did pick superb musicians to perform these songs and i am not disapointed in one single song on it.

i try to approach music with and open mind and an open heart and not immediatley write it off because it is not a style i am real comfortable with or real familair with.there is so much good music in the world, i wish i had a hundred life times to explore it all.

i think i am going ot start it over and enjoy it once more

pbaub

all music is about expresion, and here we have a genre paying homage and showing love to musicians from another genre

http://p089.ezboard.com/fmoodybluesboardfrm2.showMessage?topicID=2187.topi c

fuzzwuzz
10-12-2004, 10:46 PM
I hear the sound I had to follow~ The Moody Blues

It hasn't mislead me yet!!! :)

fuzzwuzz
10-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Best of the Batch: Various Artists
Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues

By: Matthew S. Robinson (Associate Writer)
http://www.musicdish.com/mag/?id=9787

fuzzwuzz
10-22-2004, 09:51 PM
I'll share a few later when I can find the case. Sure wish I knew who the mystery person was at the Bluebird Bird Cafe who helped get the ball rolling. I thank you my friend!

The other night I watched the Red Rocks dvd of the Moodies first time live with a full symphony. The joy on their faces was so apparent. Especially as they performed my fave song they do live:

SAY IT WITH LOVE
(written by Justin Hayward)

I've been thinking the way people do
'Bout the things that matter
To me and you
I've decided to do what I can
And to find the kind of man
I really am

I can see the world from here
And it sometimes makes me
Want to disappear

Back to nature, that's where we belong
And with just one truth I've found
You can't go wrong

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
Whatever you say
Say, say, say
Say it with love

I remember a long time ago
When I heard those guitars
That I worship so
I was captured, I wanted to stay
And to hear that kind of music
Everyday

Heard the songs around the world
Saw the smiling faces
On the boys and girls
I was destined to play come what may
And there's just one thing
I knew I had to say

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
Whatever you say
Say, say, say
Say it with love

Underneath a sea of doubt
There's a million voices shouting
"Let me out!" (Let me out!)
When we go, we never return
'Cause there's just one lesson
That we got to learn

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
Whatever you say
Say, say, say
Say it with love
Say it with love

These guys deserve this honor from Nashville even more than the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame who keeps ignoring them. But Nashville knew!

Do yourself a favor and watch the Red Rocks dvd and see what we see. And go get Moody Bluegrass for a whole new way to "trip" on the Moodies "lovely to see" you music!

fuzzwuzz
10-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Date: 10/29/04 16:59:10
To: moodiessoutherncomfort@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [MSC] moral qualms to MoodyBluegras or not to MoodyBluegrass

This is an ongoing issue on LC..Beth I hope you don't mind me posting it
here, but I would like to get you guys view on this..what do you thing about
The Moodybluegrass Cover..is it Moral or not..?..I tend to take Beths point
of view, and I will go one step further..I think it's great publicity for
the Moody Blues..it make warrant them some new fans..I se nothing unmoral
about it...!

Moodies fan "Birdie" says:

Keith, I see Bethy's point and I see Maggie Grayson's too. It's the old subjectivity thing. People who are not enthusiastic about Bluegrass probably feel it is *immoral*, although that is a little strong. Fans of Bluegrass are delighted, as apparently is Justin. He's an ol' Swindon Hillbilly from way back and we all know it! LOL ---- as to how the other Moodies f eel, they haven't said. But they're opinion is as subjective as yours and mine (albeit a bit more personal).

They couldn't have covered the music without the MB's blessing, or at least permission... unless those songs are all public domain now... are they?

In a way, they are now! And I like it too!

And:Actually, though, it amazes me how well the Moodies continue to do, given
the limited amount of PR they circulate. It continues to be fueled by an
amazing band-to-fan/fan-to-fan energy. That's kind of a brilliant phenomena
in itself.

If MoodyBluegrass brings them more fans or fame... great! But, some will
always be really turned off by it.

How did bluegrass ever get this kind of reputation? Maybe it was just everybody's ignorance? I'm glad that's changing.

My singer friend Sandy told me her and her friends used to hang around together singing and playing Beatles songs together and turning them into bluegrass songs. I wonder if that's been done yet? I invited her to out next Club Beatles meeting too, which is more like a front porch pickin' session anyway. She'll fit right in!

Subject: Latest News from Higher & Higher!

Hayward, Lodge reveal fave albums. The October 17 edition of the Sunday Express (UK) included a feature in which Justin Hayward and John Lodge each listed their five favorite albums. Justin's picks: 1. The Buddy Holly Story Vol. 2 (1960), 2. Circle Game by Tom Rush (1966), 3. What's Going On by Marvin Gaye (1971), 4. Four Last Songs by Renee Fleming (1996), 5. Forget About It by Alison Krauss (1999). John's picks: 1. Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan (1965), 2. Hang On To A Dream by Tim Hardin (1967), 3. The Chirping Crickets by Buddy Holly (1958), 4. Making Movies by Dire Straits (1980), 5. Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys (1966).

Former Moodies producer about to embark on new project. We received a press release from Tony Clarke's publicist. As all Moodies fans know, Clarke was the driving force behind the Moodies' "Classic 7" albums and several of the band's '70s solo projects. Details are a bit sketchy, but Clarke hopes to kick start a music project in the US where fans are receptive to the type of symphonic sound he produces so well. The release mentions that Clarke met with Justin backstage following one of the band's recent UK concerts, and "...were seen hugging and talking animatedly about the old days." Clarke will be launching his own Web site soon. Meanwhile, he can be contacted through Mike Pinder's site at www.mikepinder.com. [/b]

Ahh. The old days. So that's what bluegrass may be about. I like it!

fuzzwuzz
10-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville
Tribute to the Moody Blues
(Rounder)

First Appeared in The Music Box, November 2004, Volume 11, #11

Written by John Metzger

It would be a simple matter to dismiss Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues as little more than a cheap ploy that is designed to take advantage of both its subject’s classic rock stature as well as the success of the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. Yet, a quick glance through the artists who participated in the project — which include Alison Krauss, Tim O’Brien, Sam Bush, Alison Brown, Stuart Duncan, Larry Cordle, Lionel Cartwright, John Cowan, Aubrey Haynie, and countless others — offers a hint that the collection is far more than just a novelty recording. Indeed, the gap between the Moody Blues’ art-rock and bluegrass music isn’t quite as vast as it at first appears, and folk tunes like Land of Make Believe and It’s Up to You fit quite comfortably within their new country-tinged framework with very few modifications. Even more intriguing, however, are the revamped renditions of Your Wildest Dreams, which is transformed into a stunning slice of bucolic beauty, and The Other Side of This Life, which, when stripped of its pop-ornamentation, reveals the song’s gospel-blues architecture. In fact, both of these versions immensely improve upon the original arrangements concocted by the Moody Blues, and the only track on the set that fails completely is the sturdy concert staple I’m Just a Singer (In a Rock ’n‘ Roll Band), which just sounds awkward and clumsy in its new environment. Otherwise, Moody Bluegrass is a lovingly tackled tribute that achieves its purpose of not only introducing two disparate audiences to something new, but also having a whole lot of fun with it in the process.

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I recently wrote to Randy Faulkner, the executive producer of 'Moody Bluegrass', to tell him how much I love the C.D. It is so honest and refreshing. I'm just glad they didn't invite me to the sessions; I would only have stuck my oar in. The best thing about it is that they did it their way. Harley AllenÕs' voice is so beautiful. My favourite is' Wildest Dreams'. Randy and his team have given me a wonderful gift, in that they have allowed me to see these songs in a different light, and to maybe hear them, as others do, for the first time. Music is love.

fuzzwuzz
12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
`Moody Bluegrass' an oddly satisfying tribute
Dave Lavender
Staff
The Herald Dispatch

When I first heard the CD title "Moody Bluegrass," I thought, "What a redundancy - since the best of the bluegrass catalogue is maybe even a bit worse than `moody.' " It's downright lonesome usually about missing mama, that little cabin, the old homeplace, a lover long gone and Ol' Blue.

This "Moody Bluegrass," though, is quite possibly the oddest - yet finely crafted - Nashville tribute CD out in a while, since it's a loving acoustic reflection of the psychedelic group the Moody Blues.

In addition to some outstanding, old-school inside cover art by Alieano Rogerson, the CD has some choice cuts with lead singer shared by West Virginia native Tim O'Brien, Lawrence County Kentucky native Larry Cordle, former New Grass Revival lead singer John Cowan and one of my favorite Nashville songwriters and singers, Harley Allen, the son of bluegrass great Red Allen.

Toss in some sweet playing by such musicians as Aubrey Haynie and Stuart Duncan, some lovely harmony vocals by everyone from Alison Krauss and Sam Bush and Cowan singing together to some singing by the Settles, and I say to the CD, especially for the old rock fan who loves New Grass, it is, "Lovely to See You," as the opening cut states.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=107113BBC2DFA9A9&p_docnum=1&p_theme=gannett&s_site=herald-dispatch&p_product=HHDB

Wait a minute!! New Grass Revival! Hey! Ain't they the ones Garth has worked with? Isn't it their song he chose to do on Scarecrow? And what about "Callin' Baton Rouge"?

fuzzwuzz
01-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Q: Last year, a bluegrass compilation called "Moody Bluegrass" came out covering the band's songs. what did you think of that?

A: Well I loved it, personally, I really did. To hear your songs done in a refreshing way was very enlightening and quite emotional, actually. The quality of the musicianship on it is wonderful. They interpreted the lyrics in a way that you never would have thought. On a song called "Your Wildest Dreams," (the artists') interpretation is brilliant. It made me think about it again. For the first time, it made me see my own songs as other people see them.

http://www.modbee.com/arts/story/9841629p-10697088c.html

fuzzwuzz
06-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm gonna share alittle of the info from it on Moody Bluegrass, in honor of those who honered the Moodies, and me, with this fine piece of music! I can't wait for volume two!! There is still gonna be one I hope! :)

So how did Moody Bluegrass come about?

In the beginning, some 8 or 9 years ago, there was supreme Moody Blues fan Randey Faulkner. Faulkner says that one evening, a friend of his, who used to gig with country legend David Allen Coe, played a madolin version of "Nights in White Satin" for him and his sister. Faulkner was so taken with the sound that he began casting about for musicians to "bluegrassize" an album of Moodies' tunes. Faster than you can say "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," Faulkner realized he couldn't settle for less than the absolute best pickers in town - that town being Nashville, of course - for this project.

It took a better part of a decade to get the project rolling with the right people - something that didn't happen until Nashville producer David Harvey became involved.

Recalls Faulkner," I told my guitar teacher, who knew Harvey, that I couldn't figure out how to get the right people for the Moody Bluegrass project. He said, "I have just the guy for you". Harvey has played with all of these great musicians for years; he knows everybody in Nashville. I'm not sure how it happened, but David Harvey calls and says, "Hey, I like your idea! Let's make it happen". I started naming names of people I wanted, and he knew them all. I said, "you ARE the right guy"!

more later :)

fuzzwuzz
06-09-2005, 11:30 PM
As the CD's liner notes by Jon Weisberger put it, Harvey knew that recruiting heavyweight bluegrasss pickers into a rock project would be a "tough sell". So, together with Tim May, Andrew Hall and Andy Todd, Harvey laid down the basic tracks for all 12 tunes in the hopes that quality would serve as it's own welcome mat in recruiting the star vocal talent he had in mind. Say's Harvey, "We went in and cut the tracks for the whole album, and with nothing else on them, the tracks sounded good - and every time I'd play them for people, they'd have the same reaction. For instance, when I approached Harley[Allen] with the possibility of doing some songs, I played him the original [Moody Blues-recorded] tracks, and he said, 'No, there's no way I'm doing it'. Then I played him our tracks, and he sat there and listened to them and said, 'Well, I'll sing it'. And the same thing happened with Tim O'Brien. Everybody loved the tracks so much they climbed on board".

Almost finished :)

Vanessa
06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
thanks dale for letting me know about this CD it sounds like it's gonna be pretty cool!

God and peace,
Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
06-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Beyond bringing in first-rate vocal talent, Harvey added further depth to the project by importing additional top-notch instrumentalists to flesh out the album's sound.
The performers themselves were excited about what was going down. Well after recording had wrapped, Randey Faulkner ran into John Cowan, who sings lead on "Nights in White Satin" and three other tracks. "I saw him at the Telluride[Bluegrass Festival] last year, and here's what he said: 'Randey, I gotta tell you something. We all used to do crazy things back in the 60's. And we listened to the Moody Blues. But I didn't know what the heck they were talkin' about. But now that I'm singing their music, I'm tellin' ya, these guys are great. If everyone would live their lives like they're talkin' about here, we wouldn't have any problems in the world. And I have to tell you that when I was singin' "Nights", my voice went somewhere it had never gone.'. He got real technical about it. And all these guys are saying the same thing. They weren't really Moody Blues fans at all, because they never gave a listen, but now they're all into it."

Need this life-long Moody Blues fan who credits the band with leading me straight at the feet of Chris Gaines and all things Garth, be any where near surprised as these artists? If it wasn't for the Moody's I never would have made it this far. And the bluegrass people wouldn't be getting closer connected to their true country roots along with me.

I told Justin Hayward I knew the band had country in them and that they had my blessing and they should go for it. But Nashville went ahead and did it for all of us! Very cool Rounder Records! I salute you. Both as an American, and having my own British ancestry. But mostly as a music lover. Thank you so very much! Keep it coming please!! Perhaps you could convince Justin to join you on the next one. I know he'd love working with Alison. :)

fuzzwuzz
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
No, due to the fact that there has never been a live performance.
DID I SEE . . . MOODY BLUEGRASS LIVE ?
Yes . . . in the three previous words

Will I ever be able to hear and see Moody Bluegrass live ?
Yes, according to the (W.R.U.M.P.) World Registry of Upcoming Musical Performances yet to emerge in 2005, your ears will be able to perceive beautiful sounds while your eyes gaze at more than a dozen unique, multi-talented Moody Bluegrass Ensembles. In explanation we say Moody Bluegrass Ensembles due to the fact that each tune will comprise of a different group of musicians including (in alphabetical order) Harley Allen, Alison Brown, Sam Bush, John Cowan, Larry Cordle, Barry Crabtree, Charlie Cushman, Lionel Cartwright, Daniel Carwile, Fred Carpenter, Stuart Duncan, The Famous MBG Producer, David Harvey, Emma Harvey, Jan Harvey, Andy Hall, Aubrey Haney, Keith Little, Patty Mitchell, Tim May, Bob Mummert, Tim O’Brien, Jon Randall, Odessa, Ira Wayne and Calvin Settles, Tom Shinness, Russell Smith, Jill Snider, Todd Suttles and Andy Todd.

And don’t forget in this ever changing world and fascinating musical journey a real live performance of this magnitude would not be complete without some very, very special guests. We hope to announce these in a later issue. Who could they possibly be?

Another point of interest is that October 23, 2005 marks the eve of I.B.M.A. (International Bluegrass Music Association). This is a week long musical occurrence which takes place in Nashville, TN beginning October 24. There are numerous vendors and music abounding throughout this week of excitement. Music truly is ubiquitous in Music City. I.B.M.A. will be closed off by the ( ? Number of Years) annual I.B.M.A Awards night. The last two years, the awards night have been hosted by the marvelous, glamorous and humorous Alison Krauss with Dan Tyminski.

WAS IT LIVE OR WAS IT MEMOREX ?
For those of you who are Moody Blues/Moody Bluegrass fans and are unable to attend this W.R.U.M.P. please don’t “fret” because this event will be recorded both for C/D and DVD and will be available here at www.moodies-magazine.com or www.moodybluegrass.com.

We suppose that if you can’t be in attendance for this world premier, you’ll just have to purchase the DVD to see who the very, very special guests were.

http://www.moodybluegrass.com/resources.html

Again, I am beside myself with joy! Thank you Rounder Records!!!

*Hint* "Say it with Love" and "I Know You"re Out There Somewhere" are the best Moody songs live! :)

fuzzwuzz
07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
And no replies??? What are you lurkers waiting for? Speak up mates!!! :)

fuzzwuzz
07-31-2005, 11:58 PM
David Harvey: Producing a Bluer 'Grass
A CD of 12 "bluegrassized" versions of classic Moodies tracks has gathered more raves than a porch dog has fleas...Randey Faulkner tells H&H that there'll be a live performance of MB this Oct...enthuses Faulkner of the live gig: "Another dream drawing closer. To be surrounded by this much talent and musicianship is almost frightening. It will be a glorious night of restrained energy. I remember someone once saying that life comes down to a few defining moments and when a defining moment comes along you either define the moment or the moment defines you. On Oct 23 we shall define the moment."

David! Randey! Thank you! The Moody Blues have been defining my moments for years! Now, thanks to your efforts, others will know too!

And to think! This thing at the Ryman on the 23 helps kick off IMBA week in Nashville!! Who would have ever thought? Except, I KNEW God was up to something with the Moodies and country for a few years now. I even gave them the green light as a fan, that maybe it was time they explore their country roots they knew were there. But just think. Nashville went to them! God was working His plan all along, with the people I love making music I love, and bringing them together in what seemed an unlikely relationship. But truly, God is the best matchmaker on the planet!!

I'd give anything to be at that Ryman show. But I'm happy just knowing the moment is a must in these musicians lives as Randey said. I have said over and over, "if Nashville wants me, it can come to me!" Well. It did. Through my favorite band ever. Though, it doesn't surprise me either now that Garth came over to Wal-Mart's team. Again. I'm just happy the defining moment happened! What's next is anybody's guess. ;)

fuzzwuzz
08-05-2005, 09:26 PM
by John Lodge

Here's another reason to love the Moodies :)

John Wayne once eloquently stated that the cowboy's "way of life and
earthy approach to survival have been an inspiration to kids and grown ups
in all nations of the world." True to the letter, I myself was raised on
Westerns -- in England. In fact, one of the first movies I ever saw was
Billy the Kid. I sat in the "circle" with my father. I have enjoyed Westerns
ever since.

Of course, Duke wasn't referring to the Kid, or anybody like him. In
John Wayne's "Old West," the unprincipled reprobates are forever vanquished.
It's that rugged individualism, that sense of leadership and responsibility,
and that honesty, that always kept us rooting for Duke and wanting to
emulate his way of life.

As he is renown for portraying men of character and integrity, John
Wayne's "good guy" hero continues to transcend a sublime feeling about the
West, and about America.

Gary Cooper, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, and Clint Eastwood, brilliant
artists all, have given us paradigmatic Westerns like The Westerner, Once
Upon a Time in the West, Winchester '73, and The Outlaw- Josey Wales,
respectively. Yet, when the Duke immortalized his role as the Ringo Kid in
John Ford's classic Stagecoach (1939), the world would forever know John
Wayne......

http://www.wildestwesterns.com/john_wayne_spirit_of_america.htm

© 2005 Wildest Westerns Magazine, All Rights Reserved

fuzzwuzz
08-09-2005, 09:56 PM
http://www.moodybluegrass.com/listen.html

I'm missing my cd as a mutual Moody Blues friend has it and just got a new car with a cd player. When's the next edition?

i'll be sure to share from the Moody Bluegrass interview and article in the current Higher & Higher. Right now I'm enjoying a listen to the Moodies' In Search of the Lost Chord, which I don't believe was ever really lost. ;)

Listen to Sandy Martin from BBC Radio Swindon talking to Justin Hayward about the forthcoming Swindon gig.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/08/05/justin_hayward_feature.shtml?comment=response#comm ent

fuzzwuzz
08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Virginiaprograsser Interviews: David Harvey of the 'Moody Bluegrass'
project

Justin Hayward and the Moody Blues are very positive about 'Moody
Bluegrass'. Hear what David Harvey (producer/mandolinist) has to say
about Justin's communications with him about the project.

I will be webcasting my recent interviews (along with music specials
surrounding each interview) with the following progressive
bluegrass/acoustic artists this coming week from 9-11 p.m. EDT. Use
these links to hear the interviews/check out the weekly schedule
at "Newgrass, Prog & More!":

http://www.live365.com/stations/virginiaprograsser/
http://www.live365.com/stations/virginiaprograsser/schedule

Anybody with a regular modem can listen to this stream; no high-
speed required!

All interviews/music specials are from: 9-11 p.m. EDT

Wednesday 8/17: Jesse Harper of 'Old School Freignt Train', recently
signed by David Grissman's 'Acoustic Disc' label.

Thursday 8/18: Darrell Scott (Grammy-nominated multi-
instrumentalist, singer, songwriter).

Friday 8/19: David Harvey (mandolinist - producer and driving force
behind 'Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues'
project; contributors to which include Alison Krause, Sam Bush, Tim
O'Brien, John Cowan, Larry Cordle, and Tim May).

Upcoming Interviews:

Stephen Bennett - harp guitarist
Yonder Mountain String Band
David Cousins - lead singer (and accomplished banjo player!) of the
English Folk/Progressive Rock group The Strawbs.
Candlewyck - award-winning, young newgrass band

fuzzwuzz
08-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Moody Bluegrass
with Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and Graeme Edge of The Moody Blues, plus Harley Allen, Alison Brown, John Cowan, Larry Cordle, Barry Crabtree, Charlie Cushman, Lionel Cartwright, Daniel Carwile, Fred Carpenter, Stuart Duncan, David Harvey, Jan Harvey, Emma Harvey, Andy Hall, Aubrey Haynie, Keith Little, Patty Mitchell, Tim May, Bob Mummert, Tim O'Brien, Jon Randall, Jill Snider, Russell Smith, Calvin Settles, Odessa Settles, Ira Wayne Settles, Tom Shinness, Todd Suttles and Andy Todd
Sunday, October 23 at 7:30 pm

Tickets on sale Friday, September 23 at 5 pm Tell A
Friend!

http://www.ryman.com/

I wish I could go to this!!! :(

If anybody reading here does I want to know!!!

fuzzwuzz
08-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Meeting so many people
Bridging the seas
I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band
~John Lodge/Moody Blues

Some cool comments from my Yahoo Moodies group whose moderator is a former dj who lives in Nashville. Ya might want to think about joining our little group. We are different, trust me!!!!

www.moodiessoutherncomfort@yahoogroups.com

I wonder if this will do to them what country music did for Jimmy Buffet???
Donna

I'm wondering too what it might do for country music! This is the perfect marriage to me! And Garth's deal with Wal*Mart! Trisha is one lucky girl too but so am I! I'm not doing bad at all! :)

Yes I agree..but can't you see that it may bring in a completely new genre of fans to the Moodies also...and the point that I was trying to make..that we have had a lot of the older rockers move here to Nashville and are writing and producing here now...this has refreshed and gave then another start..Nashville a place to be reborned in na sence...they will get some great publicity here, perhaps a boost...perhaps record something here, Justin said when he di Tin Pan South here that he would indeed like to record here.
Keith(manager)

What about Bob Seger? He's been working in Nashville these days as well. With 3 Doors Down, and his own record. :)

Just my 2-cents, but I think this whole Nashville "get together" is the Moodies' heartfelt "tip-o'-the-hat" to the Bluegrassers for covering their songs. The way I see it is it's more what the Moodies have done for the Bluegrass musicians than visa-versa. I'm guessing it broadened the audience for Bluegrass by catching the interest of Moody fans rather than the other way 'round.

Also, the Moodies ain't stopped so they don't need restarted. As Hayward put it in a very recent interview, they're doing more gigs now than they ever did. With the way the music industry's evolved, they'll never repeat past glories, but that's okay. They seem to move along with time just fine -- always reinventing themselves but staying true to their own song(s).

Still no word whether Allison Kraus will be on the bill?
Birdie

I think bluegrass was doing just fine without the Moodies, but to have them a part of the country family is what's endearing this to me. There is no one on this green earth can tell me this is a fleeting relationship. That the Moodies don't belong in Nashville. After all, if Chris Gaines can rope me, a rock and roll girl, and hand me over to that cat in the hat in the blink of an eye, then God can do this seemingly impossible thing too. I knew God was up to something and I was right. But that's not the point. I feel very much a part of what's happening here, because of my newfound love of country mixed with lifelong dedication to the Moody Blues. I really can't even say that for the Beatles, though, they started it for me. :)

Perhaps soon others here will be Moody Blues fans as a result of Moody Bluegrass, or even my efforts. It's amazing how refreshing their music always is to me. I never get tired of it, same as with Garth.

fuzzwuzz
08-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Here it is folks...the presale..this is a very small venue...good luck..remember you will be competeing with us locals, and the bluegrass fans as well...!

Keith

Presale begins
Tue, 09/06/05 10:00 AM

Ticketmaster http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B003B1AB2A9C246?artistid=986642&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=52

Skywise
08-27-2005, 02:26 PM
dale- do you have this moody bluegrass album allready?

fuzzwuzz
08-27-2005, 04:30 PM
it's amazing! I'm dying to get it back from my friend who's a huge Moodies fan too!

Skywise
08-27-2005, 11:23 PM
it's amazing! I'm dying to get it back from my friend who's a huge Moodies fan too!

dang- I was gonna send it to you as a surprise! oh well! I'll get it replaced..

glad ya like it!

fuzzwuzz
08-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Are you crazy? Don't ya dare send it back!!!! Maybe somebody else here wants one? I'll gladly share it. But YOU need it!

fuzzwuzz
08-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Recorded Event of the Year
"40"; Larry Sparks with Ronnie Bowman, Larry Cordle, Kevin Denney, Vince Gill, Andy Griggs, Tom T. Hall, Rebecca Lynn Howard, Jim Hurst, The Isaacs, Carl Jackson, Chris Jones, Alison Krauss, The Marshall Family, Russell Moore, Don Rigsby, Ricky Skaggs, Kenny Smith, Tim Stafford, Ralph Stanley, Dan Tyminski, Rhonda Vincent, Sharon White-Skaggs, Cheryl White & Paul Williams (artists); Rebel; Don Rigsby (producer)
"Daughters of American Bluegrass," Featuring: Kim Fox, Dale Ann Bradley, Cindy Cashdollar, Lorraine Jordan, Missy Raines, Honi Deaton, Gena Britt, Michelle Birkby-Vance, Chrystal Franklin & Anita Fisher (artists); CMH; Lorraine Jordan (producer)
"Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute To The Moody Blues;" Featuring: Harley Allen, Alison Brown, Sam Bush, Fred Carpenter, Lionel Cartwright, Daniel Carwile, Larry Cordle, John Cowan, Barry Crabtree, Charlie Cushman, Stuart Duncan, Andrew Hall, Aubrey Haynie, David Harvey, Emma Harvey, Jan Harvey, Alison Krauss, Keith Little, Tim May, Patty Mitchell, Bob Mummert, Tim O'Brien, Jon Randall, Calvin Settles, Ira Wayne Settles, Odessa Settles, Tom Shinness, Russell Smith, Jill Snider, Todd Suttle & Andy Todd (artists); Rounder; David Harvey (producer)
"Tribute to Jimmy Martin: "The King of Bluegrass"; Featuring: J.D. Crowe, Paul Williams, Audie Blaylock & Kenny Ingram (artists); Koch; Ben Isaacs (producer)
"You Were There For Me;" Peter Rowan & Tony Rice (artists); Rounder; Peter Rowan & Tony Rice (producers)

http://66.45.13.138/index.cfm?section_id=12&screen=news&news_id=44035

fuzzwuzz
09-01-2005, 11:54 AM
WELL DOGGIE.

The annual Bluegrass Music Awards have been announced and GUESS WHAT? The Moody Blues, who have never even been nominated for a Grammie, are up for an award (sort of) due to Moody Bluegrass. Who would've ever thunk that!

According to a press release today, Alison Krauss & Union Station received 14 Bluegrass Music Awards nominations Tuesday, including entertainer of the year. The release goes on to say "Krauss and Tyminski also are featured on the Larry Sparks album "40," which is nominated for album of the year and recorded event of the year. Krauss also received a nomination for being part of the recorded event nominated album "Moody Bluegrass."

The awards show follows right on the heels of the Moody Bluegrass show and will be at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on October 27.

:):):)

fuzzwuzz
09-01-2005, 11:45 PM
What sets Moody Bluegrass apart from other "tributes" and "pickin'-on" projects?

Well I think the difference there is that it was conceived out of a love of the music; their lyrics and the love that they put into their music. I think alot of the tributes and pickin'-on stuff that are generated in this town aren't always conceived from that point of view. There's more of a spot in the music industry where we can fulfill a need, and make some money. This project was conceived from the love and the respect of the music.

He(Randey Faulkner) had a really clear vision from the very beginning, and I think that really comes through.

Well, it was cool to be part of making that dream come true for him, because like I told him after the NPR interview and hearing Justin Hayward on there saying that Moody Bluegrass was "Brilliant." When the album came out, that made Randey's dream. It did two things: It put him in the music business, and it also helped him realize his dream of getting his project released on a major bluegrass record label--Rounder of course. The Rounder people, [including} Ken Irwin, I have to say, had the vision and the knowledge to know...that it was going to be a successful project. They felt quality-wise, it stood right up with anything that the Moody Blues had done.

The more I read this interview the more I see how this whole project was a dream come true for many of the people getting to work together. For this fan, this is all a dream come true just Watching and Waiting from the sidelines what God is doing through the music and people I love. I'm overwhelmed. :)

more later :)

fuzzwuzz
09-11-2005, 04:38 PM
And it's like you mentioned before, making these songs seperate from the Moodies because they are so well known for their harmonies; they're so known for that sound, so to take something that's so well established in it's own genre and mix it up and put in some new voices to it to make it unique, to me, that just made it.

Well, I appreciate that so much. It means a lot to me, like I said, to listen to the NPR thing when Justin came on there and said how brilliant the project was and how well done it was. I was in my car and I had to pull over to listen to it, I was so excited, you know? Just to hear all of that on the radio, and it was such a wonderfully done interview, and when Justin said it was brilliant...man, this feeling washed over me, and I literally just about broke down and cried. You know, there are few defining moments in your life when somebody really appreciates something you do as an artist. Those can be few and far between because for me, I'm out there playing; I'm out there producing; I'm doing all of it, and all these musicians out there, they want that acceptance. That's what we love. That's why God invented applause.
For somebody that wrote the songs and has been playing them for 30-some-odd years, to say that, that was, for me, my dream come true.

My dream too David! I'm living it with you all! Awesome what you said! Awesome!

From here maybe there will be a road trip like you said. Who knows? But, it's happenin' baby! Enjoy the ride!!! :)

fuzzwuzz
09-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Image Entertainment - Music - Moody Blues Live from the Greek
http://www.image-entertainment.com/cddetail.cfm?productID=37920

Moody Blue: Live from the Greek c.d. and dvd
September 12, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Image Entertainment Secures Distribution Rights to Moody Blues Live
Concert; Legendary Rock Band's Live Concert to Hit Retailers in
November

CHATSWORTH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 12, 2005--Image
Entertainment, Inc. (Nasdaq:DISK), a leading independent licensee,
producer and distributor of home entertainment programming in North
America, today announced it has signed an agreement with Rock On
Tours, Inc., and secured the DVD, audio, broadcast and theatrical
rights to a live performance of the classic rock band The Moody
Blues.

The concert, which took place on June 11, 2005, at the Greek Theater
in Los Angeles, was recorded live using 11 high-definition cameras.
Image Entertainment will release a two-DVD set and a two-CD set of
the performance. The CD set is scheduled to be released on November
15 with a suggested retail price of $17.98. The DVD set will be
released at a later date following the CD release.

"This was one of the most incredible live Moody Blues performances in
recent history," said Barry Gordon, senior vice president of
worldwide programming of Image Entertainment. "We used state-of-the-
art technology and the best technical staff to capture all the energy
and excitement of the actual performance."

The Moody Blues, who recently completed a U.S. summer tour, have sold
in excess of 60 million albums during the course of their four-decade
career and created the standard for classic rock music. The Moody
Blues -- Justin Hayward (lead guitar/vocals), John Lodge (bass
guitar/vocals) and Graeme Edge (drums) -- are one of the most
enduring and beloved rock bands in music history. With a legacy that
spans the late 60s to the present, The Moodies have generated a
legendary list of hit songs that are regarded as some of the most
groundbreaking and innovative music of our time, including such rock
staple hits as "Tuesday Afternoon," "Nights In White Satin," "Ride My
See Saw," "I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock And Roll Band)," "Legend Of A
Mind," "Voices In The Sky," "Your Wildest Dreams," "I Know You're Out
There Somewhere" and many more.

About Image Entertainment:

Image Entertainment, Inc. is a leading independent licensee, producer
and distributor of home entertainment programming in North America,
with approximately 3,000 exclusive DVD titles and 175 exclusive CD
titles in domestic release and approximately 300 programs
internationally via sublicense agreements. For many of its titles,
the Company has exclusive audio and broadcast rights and, through its
subsidiary Egami Media, Inc., exclusive video on demand, streaming
video and download rights. The Company is headquartered in
Chatsworth, California, and has a domestic distribution facility in
Las Vegas, Nevada. For more information about Image Entertainment,
Inc., please go to www.image-entertainment.com.

fuzzwuzz
09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.moodybluegrass.com/index.html

fuzzwuzz
09-24-2005, 02:22 PM
What sets Moody Bluegrass apart from other "tributes" and "pickin-on" projects, such as Hayseed Dixie's take on AC/DC?

Alison Brown: Well, I've never been a part of a pickin'-on project. I think that [Moody Bluegrass is] a really, really strong concept. And I think that the musicianship overall on the record is great. I think that the songs lend themselves really well to the bluegrass interpretation.

Harley Allen: I think it's the level of singers and musicians and David Harvey's production. We spent a lot of time on the record and stayed real true to the originals as far as notes and arrangements and that kind of thing. I just felt like David put a lot more work into it than most peoplw do with tribute records.

Randey Faulkner: I love the Moody Blues. I also love the superior musicianship of bluegrass players. I love the positive, optomistic, cheerful and upbeat message that the Moodies have been sharing with us since the '60's. Their music is pure, unadulterated love. I thought by crossing over into another genre that we could spread the word to some music lovers who might otherwise never have a chance to hear, much less understand, the stylish nature of the Moodie's music.

fuzzwuzz
09-27-2005, 09:57 PM
What happens when Prog Rock is smacked upside the head with a banjo?
>
> Few will argue that The Moody Blues defined Prog Rock with 1967's Days of
> Future Past; their robust touring schedule, sixty million albums sold and
> new projects (December, released in Fall 2003) have kept that genre alive
> for forty plus years. Executive Producer Randey Faulkner, a huge Moody
> Blues fan himself, was convinced that The Moodies music could be
> interpreted, in fact reinvented, in a bluegrass style. The resulting CD
> titled "Moody Bluegrass", shows producer David Harvey's delicate and
> sensitive touch. Rather than being purely a tribute album, the work jumps
> up and stands on its own: the lovely, powerful and sometimes whimsical
> melodies and lyrics written by the revered rock legends take on an
entirely
> new look. It's as if bluegrass's finest musicians and singers came over
to
> your front porch, toting their instruments and a six-pack. The original
> pieces were music you could dream to, the bluegrass interpretation is like
> coming home.
> Jan Harvey's lead vocal on Justin Hayward's "It's Up to You" surpasses a
> devoted fondness for Hayward's own version; similarly, a rollicking
> rendition of "The Voice" (another Hayward hit from Long Distance Voyager)
> sings in my mind where once The Moodies music held sway.
>
> Not content to rest on the pronounced success of the album (which recently
> received a nomination by the IBMA for Best Recorded Event) Randey Faulkner
> has iced the cake - Moody Bluegrass will be performed LIVE by a stellar
cast
> of Nashville's finest bluegrass performers at the historic Ryman
Auditorium
> Sunday, October 23rd in Nashville, TN. Joining them onstage for the
> bluegrass celebration will be three very special guests: Justin Hayward,
> John Lodge and Graeme Edge - The Moody Blues!
>
> Tickets for this performance are still available at www.Ticketmaster.com,
> for more information on the performance or to purchase the CD, go to
> http://www.moodybluegrass.com
>
> So, what happens when Prog Rock gets hit upside the head with a banjo?
>
> It likes it!
>
> By MaggieMay

> This appeared today on the Punmaster's Music Wire by David Gross. For
more information on this fascinating (and free) eclectic music info letter,
or to subscribe, visit www.punmaster.com.

fuzzwuzz
09-30-2005, 07:48 PM
According to the BBC website, you can listen live or listen again for
up to 7 days.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

fuzzwuzz
10-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Here is the link to BBC2 Swindon's audio and pics of Justin's Swindon concert which took place in Swindon this morning from 9:00 a.m. to noon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/10/01/justin_hayward_feature.shtml

I am enjoying the inbetween song banter with Justin and his hometown people very much. I especially like his answer to the lady asking if he believes there is anything "out there" beyond us. :)

fuzzwuzz
10-04-2005, 09:03 PM
There's two of Justin's songs and "No Regrets"(Tom Rush)!
That one is from me to you Garth!! :)

http://www.voicesinthesky.com/index/Sound_Files.html

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2005, 11:00 AM
moody bluegrass chat
hi kids... got another chat up my sleeve coming up. this one will be based on the moody bluegrass show on oct 23rd. i can't announance who will be there yet,but it will be special.
i have been talking with randey about this for a bit and he put me in touch with his production manager/publicist karen krattinger to work out the details. it will be on sunday, october the 16th at 8:00 pm central and everyone is invited.
it will be in the moody blues and friends super chat room at:

www.fairehaven.com/chat.html.

there are Moodies archived chats here as well! :)

fuzzwuzz
10-17-2005, 09:44 PM
There's two of Justin's songs and "No Regrets"(Tom Rush)!
That one is from me to you Garth!! :)

http://www.voicesinthesky.com/index/Sound_Files.html

stream of the Justin Hayward gig from BBC Radio Swindon 1st October.

Here is the link so you can all download it too.

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0JW5ROL6WWK3H11UI5TFFF7LS4

This will only be available for 7 days or a limited number of downloads.

fuzzwuzz
10-17-2005, 09:55 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moodiessoutherncomfort/

NPR : Moody Bluegrass: Rocking Through the Hills

Morning Edition, December 30, 2004 · 31 of Nashville's top musicians have taken some of The Moody Blues' best-known songs from the 1970s and 1980s and translated them into bluegrass. Those involved and people who've heard the result say this is no gimmick.

On the album produced by mandolinist David Harvey, bluegrass stars from Harley Allen, Tim O'Brien, and Alison Krauss to Stuart Duncan and Aubrey Haynie are called on to interpret "Your Wildest Dreams," "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band," and "Nights in White Satin," among others.

The project is miles away from the standard tribute. The Moody Blues, who got their start in Birmingham, England, turned out some of the first concept albums and were innovators in studio production techniques. Their sound has been described as "symphonic rock" because they supplemented electric guitars with string arrangements, synthesizers, and lush vocals with lots of reverb and overdubbing.

Much of that fell by the wayside for the Moody Bluegrass album -- as a wealth of singers and instrumentalists converted the material into the bluegrass vernacular. The symphonic sound is now based on mandolins, fiddle, dobro, guitar, string bass, and banjo -- with some of Nashville's best voices chiming in with close vocal harmonies.

Fans of the project, such as music journalist Jon Weisberger of No Depression Magazine, say Moody Bluegrass shows a genuine respect for the material and that the result is powerful and fun.

Commotion PR : MOODY BLUEGRASS

MOODY BLUEGRASS SMOKED LEGALLY THROUGH ALL-STAR PIPES
MEMORABLE POP LOVE SONGS FUEL HEARTFELT TRIP THROUGH THE 'HOLLERS'

Armed with some serious firepower and fueled by some of traditional Americana's most beautiful voices, producer/mandolinist David Harvey has assembled a sparkling hill-country tribute to British '70s psychedelic/pop icons The Moody Blues. Entitled Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues, the project was released Sept. 28th on Rounder. Did its release slip past you?

To be sure, the incredible explosion of bluegrass music's popularity across stylistic borders over the past decade has given rise to dozens of cross-pollinated hybrid recordings that merged stringband chops with mainstream 'boomer' rock, pop and jazz faves -- a good many of which (far be it for us to point fingers here) were funnier and more successful in concept than in reality. What next -- Frankie Goes To Dollywood?!?

Moody Bluegrass separates itself right out of the gate from the likes of such novelty fare by beginning with a basket of time-tested love songs sporting unforgettable melodies, then ups the ante big-time by turning them over to such incandescent vocalists as Tim O'Brien, Alison Krauss, John Cowan, Harley Allen, Jan Harvey, Larry Cordle, Jon Randall, Russell Smith and Sam Bush. The Moodys may have thought they knew about three-part harmonies back in their day, but these cats are taking' 'em back to school.

Likewise, the instrumental portions are studded with a glittering array of Nashville cats, with Stuart Duncan, Alison Brown, Aubrey Haynie, Tim O'Brien and more adding sparkle to a core group that's stronger than new rope.

When all is said and done, Moody Bluegrass is a true rarity in the "tribute" sub-species: long-time fans can discover startling new facets to their old favorites, those who didn't give a rat's patoot for the band may well be surprised to find songs sinking in, and (best of all) the set stands on its own -- even if you've never heard such deathless FM staples as "Once Upon A Time," "I'm Just A Singer In A Rock & Roll Band," "Legend Of A Mind (Timothy Leary's Dead)," "Ride My See Saw" or the ubiquitous "Nights In White Satin."

Sadly, Timothy Leary really IS dead, but the songs of the Moody Blues have found new life, this time scampering around the hollers and hills of 'The Colonies.'

Various Artists - Moody Bluegrass A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues

The Bottom Line
There's no doubt that bluegrass versions of rock songs can sidle precariously close to parody and satire if one isn't careful. Fortunately, for the most part, these iconic rock classics are handled with panache and style, and don't come off as silly or satirical. Rather they meld the gentle lyrical styles of Justin Hayward and John Lodge with the most modern elements of today's bluegrass sound to produce a tremendously listenable disc.

Pros a.. "The Voice"
b.. "Your Wildest Dreams"
c.. "Nights in White Satin"

Cons a.. A few of the Moody Blues' sixties' sensibility songs don't translate well to bluegrass.
b.. "Legend of the Mind"

Description
a.. Some of bluegrass's finest musicians gather together to pay tribute to a great rock band.
b.. A handful of some of the most easily-recognizable classic rock hits from the 70's and 80's.
c.. Some superior playing and singing, in true modern bluegrass style.
Guide Review - Various Artists - Moody Bluegrass A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues
Take some of rock's most familiar melodies. Sprinkle in a few of the most well-known names in today's bluegrass, such as Alison Krauss, Tim O'Brien, Tim May, Stuart Duncan, Larry Cordle, and David Harvey. Combine the sounds and what comes out is a strangely familiar, oddly compelling, and thoroughly intriguing disc called Moody BluegrassA Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues. The title alone indicates that some people still equate "Nashville" with real country music, but while it would be more fitting to call it an Appalachian tribute, we'll just talk about the music.
Everyone's heard the original Moody Blues version of "Nights in White Satin." Songs such as "The Voice" and "Ride My See Saw" play dozens of times a week on most classic rock and oldies stations. "Your Wildest Dreams" brought the Moody Blues into the video era and was a huge hit in 1986. For decades the "Moodies" have been an indispensable a part of the American music scene; it's only fitting, and inevitable, there would be a tribute album to them.

However, there are some spots where the bluegrass sound doesn't ring true with the Moody Blues' psychedelia. While some songs are spot-on perfection, the pure sixties lyrics of "Legend of the Mind" and the pure pop of "I'm Just A Singer In A Rock & Roll Band" really don't work here. Considering the size of the Blues' catalog, there surely could have been better fits found. You can't get better than this beautiful rendition of "Your Wildest Dreams."

fuzzwuzz
10-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Now let's just wait and see if Moody Bluegrass wins the bluegrass event award! It's up soon, right? :)

fuzzwuzz
10-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Moody Blues members join in bluegrass tribute By Ron Wynn, rwynn@nashvillecitypaper.com
October 21, 2005
The Moody Blues have been hit makers on both sides of the Atlantic since 1967, when their album Days of Future Passed became one of the first successful rock concept releases and established them as one of the most unpredictable and distinctive English bands among that generation.

Since that time they’ve explored many genres and styles in their music, but longtime member Justin Hayward acknowledges that the group is impressed and delighted with the recent Rounder release Moody Bluegrass—A Nashville Tribute To The Moody Blues. Hayward, with fellow members John Lodge and Graeme Edge, will be in town Sunday night joining several outstanding area performers in “Moody Bluegrass: A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues” at the Ryman Auditorium.

“I absolutely loved the tribute album and was so glad that they did it,” Hayward said. “They took our songs and did things with them that we would never have thought of ourselves. It’s a really exceptional work and shows what can be done by great musicians when they take their own look at the music of others.

“We’re thrilled about this upcoming show because Nashville is one of the great music places in the world, and the Ryman is a great institution as well.”

The list of participating musicians also includes Harley Allen, Alison Brown, John Cowan, Larry Cordle, Charlie Cushman, Stuart Duncan, David Haney, Claire Lynch, Tim O’Brien and Jon Randall, among several others.

The Sunday night performance also is a prelude to another busy period for the Moody Blues. They have both a forthcoming live CD and DVD being released soon, and also will be doing several U.S. dates later this month and continuing into mid-November.

“I can’t really say what it is about our music that has enabled us to remain popular and still have a sizable audience over all these years,” Hayward said. “But I can say that one thing we’ve never done is really try to have any one main formula to the writing or the playing. We’ve changed as the technology changes, but we’ve always maintained our own style. Those things stay with you all the time.

“A single like ‘English Sunset’ or ‘No More Lies/River of Endless Love’ will work in any time frame because it really represents our style and our ideas. That’s the key thing that’s necessary to maintain a following because once you attract fans, they expect you to be consistent and be faithful to your sound, not just bounce around and try whatever you think might be working at the time.”
http://66.45.13.138/index.cfm?section_id=12&screen=news&news_id=45335

I am so proud of my guys!!! :)

fuzzwuzz
10-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I can hardly believe it! This was at my Yahoo group who is there!

Justin Jamming!

justin jaming
i just got back from the most incredible experiance!!

a bunch of us here in nashville went to the bluebird cafe to hear some great music......well here is the kicker, after hearing some talk this afternoon,,,our fondest wishes came true!!!!

justin was the featured artist at tonights performance. it is an all acoustic set in the round that was featuring justin, harley allen and jonell moser and guitartist mike mc adams doing guitar for jonell. russell smith came on and did a couple of songs with them. this is a very small club and only held about 150 people at the most.

the way it worked is they all went around in a circle and each played a song. justin played ( and i am not sure of my memory here,it is late ,not in order) the voice, never comes the day, driftwood,story in your eyes, who are you now,forever autumn and finished with nights in white satin.
one of the highlights was when justin actually jammed along with jonell on some lead guiter to an old howling wolf song called "spoonful" harley allen was absolutley hilarious all night.
his wife debbie acccompanied him on vocals on a few of his songs.

there was a lot of joking, story telling and wonderful camaradre between the musicians and i dont think i have ever seen justin have so much fun!!! the crowd was very appreciative of everything. justin even staid a good while after words visiting with everyone who wanted talk to him.

i am stilll in total awe of all of this and a huge enourmous thank you to randey faulkner for putting this all together.

robert

Is it true some of this may have been archived online???

fuzzwuzz
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Iowa's Everly Brothers sway Moody Blues' singer Hayward
By
REGISTER MUSIC CRITIC

November 1, 2005

The Moody Blues are renowned for their grand symphonic rock, going back
to 1967's landmark "Days of Future Passed."

But did you know that they've also become the toast of bluegrass pickers
in Nashville?

Or that Iowa's famed oldies-rock duo, the Everly Brothers - who were born
in Kentucky but raised in Shenandoah and first broadcast on that town's radio
station, KMA - are one of the acts that had the biggest influence on Moody main
man Justin Hayward?

Hayward, 59, chatted last week while eating lunch in his hotel room in
Milwaukee. He began by describing how the band (which today also includes John
Lodge on bass and Graeme Edge on drums as core members) has tweaked its show
for this tour:

Q. How did you decide to insert the old gem "Never Comes the Day" (from
1969's "On the Threshold of a Dream") back into your set list?

A. We were part of this bluegrass festival to celebrate the success of an
album, "Moody Bluegrass." . . . They performed the whole thing in Nashville at
the Reiman at the original Grand Ole Opry. . . . They chose great musicians,
great singers. We went down there, went up on stage and did some songs. We did
("Never Comes the Day") together, and I remembered how much I enjoyed it.

Q. Were American bluegrass and country music any sort of influence on you
in the 1960s?

A. Most English boys of my age were raised on British bluegrass: skiffle.
That's where my generation really came from. Then of course Elvis arrived, and
Buddy Holly. The Everly Brothers, who were always huge in the U.K., influenced
a lot of people. They brought that country influence, and that type of guitar
playing. They introduced it, and that will always sort of live forever in the
British music consciousness.

Q. So the Everlys were bigger idols for you than, say, Johnny Cash?

A. Still are. They could fill the Albert Hall (in London) anytime, any
night of the week. Ricky Nelson was another who had the same kind of sound and
actually used a lot of the same musicians. Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Eddie
Cochran and the Everly Brothers.

Q. As a band with a 41-year history, you've weathered plenty of personnel
changes. Flutist Ray Thomas was the most recent departure, a few years ago.
Which was the hardest to get over?

A. The toughest one was the point when we were thinking, "Is it all
over?" In 1974, I knew (keyboardist-singer) Mike (Pinder) didn't want to carry
on. He was a great influence on me as well. If he left I was really losing my
mentor in the band and a friend. . . .

It really didn't settle down until the early '80s. We got it back
together again and had a No. 1 album, "Long Distance Voyager," with (the hit
song) "Your Wildest Dreams." That was the big turning point, and we're still
going on that momentum now. The fans who came to us in the '80s are the ones
who are really our fan base now. A lot of people my own age, it's hard getting
them out.

Q. You've lived in Monaco for nearly a decade. Why?

A. I found that I wasn't using studios in the U.K. They've become very,
very expensive. Then I went to do some projects - I was booked, actually, as a
singer and a guitar player for an Italian movie, a friend was doing music for
it just east of Genoa. I just fell in love with it. . . . We've done two or
three Moody Blues albums there. I moved really in the mid-'90s to be close to
that. My daughter had grown up and I was kind of a free man. I have no regrets
at all. I wanted to be down by the Mediterranean and close to the studio. I can
hop on a plane at Nice (France) easily to be anywhere in the world.

fuzzwuzz
11-12-2005, 02:52 AM
And now. In honore of my Moody Blues and Moody Bluegrass, I've just got to share all the reviews of this major event in Nashville!!! I'm besides myself with joy y'all!!! :)

Most of these were shared at my yahoo group, this first one from Higher & Higher, the best Moody Blues fan publication out there and online.

H&H Moody Bluegrass Review!

Hayward, Lodge, Edge shine during Ryman "Moody Bluegrass" event. Reader Kerry Casey sends the following report regarding the Moodies' special guest appearance at Nashville's Ryman Theater on Sunday, October 23. "I know you'll be hearing plenty about the Moody Bluegrass event if you weren't there; if you were, then there are no words to be added. I drove from central Kentucky to Nashville and back for the show Sunday, and it was worth every minute of lost sleep making the drive. I was in the balcony near the back with a terrific view of everyone having a great time on stage. Here are a few observations.

When the announcer introduced Justin, he noted that on Saturday night, Justin and Harley Allen had 'torn up' the Bluebird Cafe, which is famous for its surprise performances. I didn't see that but I'll bet it was amazing.

After the various musicians played through the songs from the Moody Bluegrass CD, ending with 'Nights' and 'Late Lament,' the announcer talked about a wine lover who has his own label, and then introduced John Lodge, who played guitar and performed 'Send Me No Wine' with the musicians. The announcer made a reference to that song being on Volume II. Next, he introduced Justin, who performed 'It's Cold Outside of Your Heart.' Justin referred to it as one of the few Moody Blues attempts at country music. Graeme was introduced next, and he said that he had been told he needed to speak carefully. He said that the banjo player told him that 'around here, we speak the King's English.' Then Graeme continued in a Southern accent and drawled, 'We talk just like Elvis Presley.' Graeme and the group did a bluegrass version of 'Higher and Higher,' and he was joined by a couple of cloggers who danced along with him. The three had obviously rehearsed the choreography and Graeme did some their moves before giving them the spotlight for a short time. The supposed finale was 'Never Comes the Day' with Justin and John Cowan alternating on lead vocals, and harmonizing on the lines leading into the chorus. After leaving the stage to a standing ovation, the group returned and did 'Tuesday Afternoon.' Again, Justin and John Cowan shared the lead vocal. Everyone left the stage again, and this time only the bluegrass musicians and singers returned. They broke into an up-tempo bluegrass tune of the non-Moody variety, which I was not familiar with. Justin, John, and Graeme wandered back onto the stage playing guitars and tambourine. They stayed in the background, obviously enjoying the moment. The house lights came up at the conclusion of this song, and everyone left the stage shaking hands, hugging, and beaming.

After the show Sunday night, I waited around in the lobby for a few minutes, because bluegrass musicians are known for being very accommodating to fans, and I thought the Moodies might also show up. (They didn't, at least not during the 20 or so minutes while I was there.) I heard numerous people talking to David Harvey, expressing their gratitude and amazement at what they had just experienced. One man said it would still be talked about 80 years from now, referring to the Ryman's place in history."

Imagine that. My Moodies making Ryman history no less?!!! :)

Love you guys! You rock!!!!! :)

fuzzwuzz
11-12-2005, 03:07 AM
this is from someone who also says she herself has performed at the Ryman. :)

and check out the cute MB purse and Justin Hayward pics!! He's my hero too! :)

Of course, I had a fabulous weekend! The Moody Bluegrass show at the Ryman Auditorium was nothing short of spectacular! When I bought tickets several months ago, I had no idea that I was in for such a treat. No seat is bad at the Ryman. Mom and I had tickets in the balcony section, dead center, in the front. I couldn't have asked for a better perspective. I've attended Moody Blues concerts for most of my life, but nothing compared to this. The show opened with bluegrass artist Clair Lynch. I'd never heard any of her work, but immediately I was impressed. I'm going to pick up a couple of her CDs soon. Her voice was absolutely beautiful, as well as her performace. She sang about 6 songs, before turning the show over to all of the fabulous musicians that participated on the Moody Bluegrass project. A man, I forget his name, introduced the artists and each song. He also told the songwriting story of every Moody Blues song and what band member wrote it. Every song on the CD was performed live, which was quite an impressive list. As the first half of the show began, I noticed some people just finding their seats to my left. With quite a start, I realized that it was Graeme Edge, the Moodies drummer, and his wife. They had come up to watch the first half of the show from our perspective! It was really a lot of fun to watch him, while the Moodies songs were performed. It was so interesting to see his reaction, and his appreciation. It was such a kick to know that he was just a row from me. The first half concluded, and Graeme and his entourage made their way backstage. I walked around and stretched my legs a bit. The seats in the Ryman are old church pews, and the legs and hips can get stiff after a while.

The second half got underway, with no less perfection. I thought one of the best performances of the night was by Jan Harvey. She did a version of It's Up to You, written by my favorite Justin Hayward. The next performance that stood out in my memory was Nights In White Satin, by Justin again, sung by John Cowan. It just blew the roof off of the place! Both of these songs received long, standing ovations. After many more songs, the moment that I'd been waiting for arrived. The Moody Blues finally took the stage, along with the bluegrass musicians. John Lodge came on first. He sang Send Me No Wine, which is from their On The Threshold of A Dream album. I never thought I'd EVER get to hear it live!! It was wonderful. Justin Hayward, my personal fav, was up next. He sangIt's Cold Outside of Your Heart from their album The Present.. Again, something I NEVER thought I'd hear live. Last and certainly not least, Graeme Edge took the stage. He performed his poem Higher and Higher from To Our Children's Children's Children. He's such a fun guy. He just banged on that tambourine and did his little dancy jig. He danced all the way across the stage and disappeared for just a moment. When he came back out, he had cloggers with him. The audience really whooped it up for that. All too soon, it was time for the finale. All of the performers, along with the Moody Blues came out on stage for a closing jam. They had more than 3 encores! Then it was over. Just a memory, but what a wonderful memory it is!

I did leave with a souvenir. It's a cute little Moody Bluegrass purse.

http://richardsonzoo.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_richardsonzoo_archive.html

fuzzwuzz
11-12-2005, 03:09 AM
this is classic! :)

Guitar Geek take on the Moody Bluegrass Concert at the Ryman.....

I am a very (!) amateur guitarist. One of my many takes on the
Moody Bluegrass show was via the guitars played by the artists. The
generally preferred guitar of bluegrass pickers is a Martin. Tim
May, the chief guitarist of the Moody Bluegrass tribute band (see
footnote * below) seemed to be playing a Martin HD-28. The HD-28
model is a rock-solid, stock (non-custom) dreadnought-sized Martin
with a booming voice and is generally regarded as a "standard"
against which all other non-custom guitars are measured.

John Lodge played his signature black Guild 12-string throughout his
appearance. This guitar has been seen on stage during many a Moody
concert and has outstanding tone. The older (pre-Fender buy-out)
Guild guitars are regarded by many to be the pinnacle of 12-string
guitars.

From my vantage point in the balcony, it looked like Justin's guitar
had classic Martin lines; perhaps a Martin D-40something (D-42??).
I could not see the manufacturer label well from my balcony seat but
the guitar clearly had white fretboard and headstock edge binding.
A Martin guitar would be uncharacteristic for Justin. When playing
acoustic guitars with the Moodies, he usually plays an Olson or a
Guild. Anybody get a better look at the manufacturer label on
Justin's guitar to confirm/deny this observation? Wonder if he
purchased or borrowed this guitar special for the bluegrass show?

Joe

* Copied from the "Featured Artist" section of the Moody Bluegrass
Tim May . . . Guitar guru, toured with Patty Loveless promoting her
bluegrass album, "Mountain Soul" and also played in Eddie
Rabbitt's "Hare-Trigger Band". Tim has recorded three albums
with "Crucial Smith". He has been featured in "Flatpicking Guitar
Magazine", "Bluegrass Unlimited" and "Bluegrass Now". Tim's rock
solid rhythm & fiery flatpicking adds just the right texture which
helps drive the 11 Moody Bluegrass cuts he appears on.*

fuzzwuzz
11-12-2005, 03:21 AM
You asked some one esle there take on the Moody's part, that you asummed it was bluegrass, nope not at all..Justin made a crack at one of the songs he sung as one of their attempts on Country, and thats exactly what there sets were, Country takes , John did a superb version of Send me no wine, after the MC..introed him and talked about his Nappa Valley wine he was selling...it was very country and twangy and just excellent..John was in Good Voice, in fact...I like him doing country flavour more than I like his solos'd..(I'll get hit for that One.)

Justin did a duo with John Cowan Never Comes the Day..which made chills run up and down your back...Justin was in rare and laid back forum..as he looked at JOhn Cowan when it was his verse and said at the top of his voice, it's your turn Brother, Justin was also very huggy and cudly with everyone on stage, and was playing his Martin Justin also as you know did, It's cold outside your Heart, also done with a very deep Country Western Flair, and I might add..I enjoyed it very very much.

Greame sneaked onstage while the MC was introing him//loll..made somne funny gestures, and when the MC was through Grerame told a litte Joke, that someone had aproached ..here in Nashville and told him we only spoke the Kings English down here, when Greane questioned him about the Kings english, he got an answer ....yeah we speak Elvis Presley!

Course that was the cue for H&H..and it was done with an outstanding Bluegrass intro, and a little Jig from Greame..as Greame danced across the stage..and disapeared ..he came back with 2 cloggers...that were Buck dancin acroos the stage with Greame following..trying to keep up.....after this he challenged the backup singers to a line dance during one of the Encores.

I did take pictures..but wall -mart screwed them up , when they cut them they cut them all in the middle of the picture..I do have about 4 that can be posted which I will do tommorow.

As I remember more little things I will post or add to others post, but it was a geat concert, in which, will probably never be seen again, The Moody's were just so laid back, Justin was in his element , pickin and grinnin, and it just would not surprise me in the least, to see Justin or the entire band compose and record an album from here .

The applause and foot stomping for encores had me worried at times..as I thought the Ryman would fall down..giving new meaning to bringing the house down..of which they certainly did..but Nashville returned their aprecitation for them, by giving them one of the best receptions I have every seen for a concert..the people of Nashville Certainly love them..!

Oh and another thing..it was filmed, the cameras were in the balcony, I don't know at this time which venue if any it will be aired on..maybe they were just doing an archive..or a dvd,for later release..but sooner or latter we will have that info.

Good 3 hour concert, certianly woth the money..a good time was had by all!

Jaid

Justin in his element? In Nashville?? You betcha!! I'm so in love with this band and practically saw this coming. It's like our "destiny" together after all these years.

But why share my joy here with my fellow Garth fans?? Because if it wasn't for the Moodies, there never would have been a Chris Gaines for me. And no Garth. These guys are always about "keeping the faith". Wow. For me, that's now an "understatement"!!!

fuzzwuzz
11-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Justin’s songs at The Bluebird Cafe (not necessarily in this order)

Your Wildest Dreams
Driftwood
It’s Cold Outside of Your Heart
Who Are You Now
Never Comes The Day
Forever Autumn
The Voice
Nights in White Satin

Justin started with Your Wildest Dreams and finished with Nights - the other songs listed, while memorable, simply can’t be recalled in any certain order. The highlight wasn’t any particular song he sang – it was The Big Guy’s jammin’. His guitar work is one of the things I truly love about that artist and this gave those of us with a clear view of his guitar a huge once in a lifetime THRILL. You Da Man!
full story:
http://moodysojourn.com/tour/tour2005/nashville/bluebird.html

Moody Blue Grass live was faithful to the fine cd, an almost note for note reproduction. How was it different? What made it special? The experience live was so multi-faceted. One could feel everything: the excitement and slight nervousness of the performers as they walked out onstage, the shared pleasure of the winsome vocals and the incredible, virtuoso performances heard and SEEN on every instrument. I felt awe and wonder at the sight of a stage so heavily laden with talent that it was a miracle it didn’t sink into the ground; instead it steadily rose into the sky.
full story:
http://moodysojourn.com/tour/tour2005/nashville/nashville.html

pages of exceptional photos!! I'm in love! :)
http://moodysojourn.com/tour/tour2005/nashville/mbg1.html

fuzzwuzz
11-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Choosing a concert set list has always been difficult for the Moodys. The complex orchestrations on their albums are hard to reproduce in concert.

"It's a double-edged sword," Hayward says. "Things work differently in the studio and onstage. You can't achieve the subtlety of the studio onstage, but you get the live vibe and the energy of the audience. We pick tunes that play to the strength of the people we're touring with, as well as the hits. The shows we're doing now are usually a surprise to people familiar with the dark, moody shows we did in the '60s and '70s. I don't think we cracked a smile until 1978. I think the muscles of my face weren't working all that well back then."

These days Hayward smiles a lot, and with good reason. His vocals are as strong as ever, and his pleading high range is still intact.

"A few years ago I went to a voice trainer and learned a few bits to help preserve what's there," he says. "Usually, I do a few solo acoustic gigs to loosen up before a tour. This time I was in Nashville with Alison Brown, Larry Cordle, Tim O'Brien and a lot of other great pickers at the Ryman Auditorium to celebrate the 'Moody Bluegrass' album that came out last year. The joy of playing and singing with people like that is fantastic."

The Moodys started out as an R&B cover band, and their first big

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/13/PKGE1FIQN21.DTL&type=music

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Take 31 of Nashville's greatest pickers and singers, including
Tim O'Brien Jan Harvey, Alison Brown, John Cowan, Harley Allen,
Larry Cordle, Stuart Duncan, and many more and listen to the
mandolin genius of the producer, David Harvey, then add 12 classic Moody
Blues songs and what do you get? You get something you
must have in your record collection.

MOODY BLUEGRACIOUS to all of those who attended the MOODY BLUEGRASS show at
The Ryman Auditorium on Sunday, October
23 and helped make MOODY BLUEGRASS a huge success. Thanks
to the Bluebird, Jonell Mosser and Harley Allen for having Justin Hayward of
the Moody Blues, in the round on October 22nd. We have more surprises in the
future.

For a free listen go to www.moodybluegrass.com

Own it today!

Oh wow! I wonder what else is coming to the Bluebird? I did hear a "rumour" that a part 2 is expected. :)

It's a world of imagination that sets me free ~Justin Hayward(on songwriting)

fuzzwuzz
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
John Cowan talks about his life and new record.
John Cowan releases "TATOO" June 13.
Ames ArnoldPlan 9Monday, May 08, 2006
The following interview appears courtesy of 9X, a publication of Plan 9 Music.

Genre-crossing singer-bass player John Cowan has a truck load of songs to pick from when he plays a gig. He can pull from traditional country or bluegrass tunes, he can cut loose on a gospel or jazz song or a re-arranged pop tune. And he can darn well wring some surprises out of a mix of any of these styles.

But one song he's not performing - at least for now - is one that's probably the most important song he's ever written and recorded. Self-penned for Cowan's upcoming release, "Drown" tells the singer's own story as a victim of child molestation. Cowan says he didn't really plan on spilling his guts with such personal revelations in song but gratefully it has happened that way.

"It's a pretty dark subject, you know?" Cowan recently said by phone from his Nashville home. "It's not something most people want to talk about…It's a subject I've been dealing with my whole life."

Cowan goes on to explain he's been trying to confront and overcome his demons during the past five or six years. He says the tragedy manifests itself in different ways from person to person, but in his life it pushed him into multiple failed marriages and drug addiction. With the song, he hopes to put the past behind and move on.

"I look at my life and it looks like a road map," Cowan continued. "It starts at the age of 8. That's when things kind of got off track. Basically, [molestation] takes your internal wiring and connects the blue to the green and the yellow to the red. It's devastating beyond belief."

Cowan says the song came as a surprise to him.

"I didn't sit down to write this song," he said. "It just kinda came to me one day and it all kinda came out in one gasp. It seemed a little bit divine to me…The song is what came out of the pen. That tells me that even though it's about me, I had some help writing it."

Lyrics complete, Cowan e-mailed them to his friend and fellow songwriter-musician Darrell Scott for a melody.

"I had no idea what he was gonna do with it…it pretty much floored me when he played me the melody," Cowan said.

Asked if he had a sense of relief after completing the song, Cowan is matter-of-fact.

"It's more about putting the issue to bed. It was a redemptive piece of work."

And, although the song is the exclamation point on the new "TATTOO" CD to be released June 13, Cowan is equally matter-of-fact about his choice to leave it off his set lists for now. If his reason has anything to do with personal pain, he's not owning up to it. He explains that the tune is a piano-based one. The John Cowan band relies on acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle and Cowan's bass and powerful tenor. Keyboards aren't in the mix. But the band leader says he'll deal with that live arrangement problem if it comes up someday.

"I suppose if the record takes off and there's a clamor of people that want to hear the song then we'll figure out a way to do it," he said.

As for the rest of the TATTOO project, Cowan describes it as a "pretty crazy record." Often lyrically prolific, Cowan says he only wrote two songs for this project. This time he says he preferred the challenge of finding good tunes by others to rearrange and process into his acoustic sound. TATTOO now complete, Cowan's happy with the instrumental and vocal sounds captured by producer Jay Joyce as well as the overall vibe of the finished project.

"I kinda pride myself as a good song chooser. A lot of really good singers learn that. I don't pick songs on whether they sound 'acoustic' or not. Then the challenge is how to adapt them to this particular band. We really reached on this record.

"I mean, songs run into each other; it's pretty delightful in terms of audio. The way the record's presented…it's pretty much conceptually one piece of music...Somebody told me they thought it was the 'Dark Side of the Moon' of bluegrass," Cowan said with a laugh.

Of course, his genre bending, non-traditional approach to his music in a world that too often demands an artist fit a rigid musical niche comes as no surprise to those who have followed Cowan since his days in the ground-breaking New Grass Revival. In the '70s and '80s, the band developed a startling musical vision that took bluegrass into unexpected realms. More than 15 years after the band broke up, New Grass is still respected. The band's legacy is one that Cowan is rightly proud of. And the whole thing pretty much came out of left field when he became lead singer and bass player for the band.

"Strangely enough, growing up in Kentucky, I just never knew anything about bluegrass…I jumped into this world that was completely foreign to me, that I didn't know anything about," Cowan said. "But it turned out a match made in heaven.

"The band is really well thought of even though it's been 16 years since it's been over. But it's actually afforded me so many opportunities after the fact…It's nice to be thought of well by your peers. I don't know what it's like to be a star, to have a hit record. But I know what it's like to have peer approval and that's pretty darn important."

Last fall, he got a dose of this peer respect from an unexpected source when he and some other bluegrass-based artists recorded a Moody Blues tribute album. As it turned out, members of the English band flew over the pond for a show with Cowan and the others at the Ryman Auditorium.

A fan of the Moody Blues as a youngster, Cowan was thrilled and a little awed by his heroes but the Englishmen returned the respect. When it came time to do "Tuesday Afternoon," lead vocal duties took a turn. It's a memory that still delights Cowan. Despite personal ups and downs, he's aware his musical life has been a good ride.

"Justin Hayward was like 'Well, you sing it.' I'm like, 'Dude, that's your song.' So, the night of the show, we ended up both singing it.

"Well, it was a little bit of a surreal moment...I've learned one thing," Cowan said. "You just never know what the hell's gonna happen."
http://www.richmond.com/music/output.aspx?Article_ID=4238983&Vertical_ID=131&tier=1&position=1

fuzzwuzz
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Moody Bluegrass selling on TV
posted by John on 04.26.06 @ 9:41 am

We've posted before (here and here) about the multi-artist collaborative release from 2005,
Moody Bluegrass - A Nashville Tribute To The Moody Blues, which was nominated for an IBMA Award
as Recorded Event of the Year. The CD features such popular bluegrass artists as John Cowan, Tim
O'Brien, Sam Bush, Alison Krauss, Stuart Duncan and Alison Brown, along with many others, doing
grassified versions of Moody Blues hits.

It has proven to be popular with both bluegrass lovers and fans of The Moody Blues as well. In
fact, Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge - all original members of The Moody Blues -
were so taken by the bluegrass covers that they joined with the folks who performed on the CD
for a live concert at The Ryman Auditorium just prior to last year's IBMA week. We have a few
photos from that show available here.

Starting next week, the CD will be marketed in an As Seen On TV ad campaign, with both one and
two minute ads running in selected markets. The ads will be seen in Raleigh, NC (News 14), and
in both Louisville, KY and the Asheville, NC market on several cable channels. Look for them
starting Monday, May 1.

You can view the ads now on the Moody Bluegrass web site, and all orders generated from the TV
ads (or the web site) will include a free packet of organically-grown Moody BrewGrass coffee,
inspired by the CD.

Audio samples are available online.

www.moodybluegrass.com

fuzzwuzz
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
The John Cowan Band
Featuring Selections From
Moody Bluegrass
A Nashville Tribute to the Moody Blues, with Special Guests

11/11/06 The Executive Inn Rivermont, One Executive Boulevard, Owensboro, KY
42301 John Cowan Band / Moody Bluegrass
The John Cowan Band will perform a solo set as well as a set of material
culled from the Moody Bluegrass project with some special guest musicians.

General Admission $14.00
VIP Seating $20.00
Exec Gold $25.00
Packages: $138.00 - $160.00
http://www.executiveinnrivermont.com/liveentertainment.html