PDA

View Full Version : It's bad enough......

wmcinnis
09-02-2004, 07:12 PM
.....that I have to see and listen to him on the CMA's and the AMA's.......why on the Canadian Country Music Awards too??:rolleyes:
~~Sorry, just had to vent~~
GRETCHEN AND TOBY HEADED CCMA WAY
GRETCHEN WILSON and TOBY KEITH have just been announced as very special guest stars on this year’s CCMA Awards broadcast. Gretchen will actually be making the trip to Edmonton to perform her latest hit, “Here For The Party”, live on the show. Toby will be appearing in a special performance from the road on his “Big Throw Down Tour”. CCMA Awards show producers also confirmed that show host, PAUL BRANDT, DOC WALKER, EMERSON DRIVE, CAROLYN DAWN JOHNSON and JASON McCOY will all be performing for this year’s event. The CCMA Awards will be handed out on September 13th.
(CMTCanada.com)

-Susan-

sandis
09-02-2004, 07:33 PM
"very special guest stars"... you are SO lucky!!! :D :D :D

I guess he figures he's not making enough money here, so he has to promote himself over in Canada... ;) hey.... maybe he won't come back!!! :D

(sorry... wishful thinking!!!)

~Sandi

wmcinnis
09-03-2004, 03:36 PM
LOL Sandi......but, we don't want him!!!!
The one good thing is that he'll be performing from his road tour, via satellite. so I'll only have to see his mug once if I'm lucky.:)
Did you know that Terri Clark is on tour with him Sandi? What the heck was she thinking?:o I hope his ego doesn't rub off on her.;)
-Susan-

sandis
09-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Ugh, don't remind me Susan!! It goes beyond what was she thinking!!! :-& I've had tons of friends ask if I'm going to go see her, but I just can't do it!! :( I know she won't be on long enough to make up for him...

wmcinnis
09-04-2004, 08:20 AM
So true Sandi. Well, I guess she'll get some good exposure out there touring with him, but as a fan, I wasn't at all impressed when I heard this. I'm assuming she won't be at the CCMA's, unless she flies back for it, haven't heard anything about her performing or anything:(
I'll have to go search for more info on the show.
-Susan-

redstrokes77
09-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Maybe they won't let him in the country. I remember when Colin Raye was to paly in London. His daughter and her baby didn't have any ID at the border and customs wouldn't let them in. Colin got huffy and cancelled the show. This was before 9/11 and I guess he couldn't understand why they wouldn't let someone in another country without ID. :rolleyes:

Anyone know where Toby's crossing the border? Maybe we can give them a heads up.

deb

TrishaNGarthFan
09-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Hey! What is wrong with Toby's singing? I just saw him and Terri Clark Thurday night and they were GREAT. As long as he's singing and not giving a speech, it ought to be just fine. And as far as I can tell, he and Terri are really good friends--so I doubt he's *that* bad.

GO TOBY!

sandis
09-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Susan -- You know, I just saw on her site that she plays on the 12th, then is off until the 16th.. so there is a VERY good chance that she WILL BE THERE!!!! :) Plus, there's some thread on her message boards about some of the FC members going and waving glo sticks when she goes up to accept her awards.. :D I'd definitely watch if I was you.. I will be!!!

I don't know if she's "good friends" with Toby, but she's been amused with his crew, that's for sure. They've been playing pranks on her (spelling her name a different way on her dressing room door every night, etc) and she's having a blast. And unfortunately, with me, Toby's song choices bothers me just as much as his speeches. Sorry! :(

~Sandi

Paula
09-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Susan, Sandi and deb [-X

I have to admit that I like Toby's music, although I'm not particularly fond of the way his personality has evolved in the last few years. I've seen him a couple of times since his career broke out, most recently in July. and he put on good shows, but I liked him even better when I saw him a few years earlier at a much, much smaller venue. Although I like his upbeat songs, I also like the ballads he has sung over the years, but he didn't include any of those in his latest show.:(

Paula

DixieChick4GB
09-04-2004, 07:22 PM
I agree completely with Paula. Some of his behavior lately should require a spanking but other than that, I like most of his music and have enjoyed his shows. I like Toby a lot.
Elaine

sandis
09-04-2004, 08:32 PM
LOL @ Paula!!! I know, I know. :D

As much as I hate to admit this, I actually met him back in '93, before he became "famous"...when "cowboy" was his only hit. The station here had him at the hotel where the big country bar was, and a couple of friends and I went. There was almost no one there, maybe 10-15 people, and we took pics with him. My friends got his autograph, and I asked him for one for a friend. I guess he just had to ask me if I was sure it wasn't for me, and smiled, and I said noooo, it really was for a friend that liked him a lot.... and smiled back. :D

I liked "...Cowboy", but well, it's just gone downhill from there for me. :(

-Sandi

redstrokes77
09-05-2004, 07:29 AM
I used to like his old stuff too but ever since he just wanted to "talk about me", I've been turned off.

deb

wmcinnis
09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Susan -- You know, I just saw on her site that she plays on the 12th, then is off until the 16th.. so there is a VERY good chance that she WILL BE THERE!!!! :) Plus, there's some thread on her message boards about some of the FC members going and waving glo sticks when she goes up to accept her awards.. :D I'd definitely watch if I was you.. I will be!!!

Thanks for the info Sandi, that's great news:)

Sure I'll admit that he has a few songs out there that I like but I'm sorry everytime I hear that voice, I wish it were someone else singing it. I can't get past the person behind the song. I've never liked egotistical people and I'm not about to start now. There's a fine line between being confident with yourself and being downright cocky and that's the way I see him. I've seen interviews of other artists and their confidence makes them attractive and appealing to listen to, this is not the case when I listen to Toby.

I didn't mean to offend anyone who is a Toby fan, I just have a hard time enjoying the music because of the person behind it and it's not just Toby I feel this way about.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the CCMA's, thank God for the MUTE button:);)
-Susan-

wmcinnis
09-13-2004, 10:26 PM
All in all, it turned out to be an alright show. Carolyn Dawn Johnson was the big winner of the night, receiving 4 awards, Terri Clark won female vocalist of the year and the fans choice award, for I think, the third year in a row.:)
I was real happy for George Canyon winning the rising star award. His acceptance speech was very heartfelt and he reminded me of Garth, as he would lift his hat off his head out of respect.
Gretchen's performance was good and I had to laugh after Terri accepted her fans choice award, saying that she had some serious drinking to do with Gretchen:D I'm sure they'd hit it off real good.

Guess what guys.....I didn't mute Toby.......but I could still hear him from the bathroom;)
-Susan-

sandis
09-14-2004, 12:19 AM
How did this get to be CDJ's year? I mean, I like her... but I thought for sure Terri had it nailed. Huh. I want a recount!!! LOL

Terri was great--her line about music and s** is so going to become new sig somewhere!!! :D And she most definitely almost said A** on tv, too... LMAO!!!! Too funny.

I didn't mute Toby either... but I certainly didn't turn around to look at him! ;)

wmcinnis
09-14-2004, 10:53 PM
How did this get to be CDJ's year? I mean, I like her... but I thought for sure Terri had it nailed. Huh. I want a recount!!! LOL

I was a little shocked at that too Sandi:o Also that Terri didn't perform either, that's unusual for the CCMA's.
Just when I thought it was safe to come out of the bathroom....I caught the tail end of Toby's performance when Terri was on stage singing with him......btw I thought they sounded terrible together.....don't see a duet in their near future;):)

It was good to hear that Alan Jackson's Greatest Hits was the top selling album in Canada. I was thinking it would be his or maybe Kenny Chesney's.....I'm just glad it wasn't that other guy:D **I'm trying to be good Paula**;)
-Susan-

sandis
09-15-2004, 09:36 AM
I was a little shocked at that too Sandi:o Also that Terri didn't perform either, that's unusual for the CCMA's.
Just when I thought it was safe to come out of the bathroom....I caught the tail end of Toby's performance when Terri was on stage singing with him......btw I thought they sounded terrible together.....don't see a duet in their near future;):)

It was good to hear that Alan Jackson's Greatest Hits was the top selling album in Canada. I was thinking it would be his or maybe Kenny Chesney's.....I'm just glad it wasn't that other guy:D **I'm trying to be good Paula**;)
-Susan-

They did!! They sounded awful together!! I'm guessing that only happened because it was the CCMA's, and she knew she wasn't performing, etc. I think I saw on her website that she wasn't performing because of her schedule, it just didn't fit in. She probably got in town right before or something? I'll have to go visit her website and see what they're saying over there... :D She also sounded/looked really surprised when they announced that GLT was the #1 song... that was great to see such pure "joy", for a change. :)

Skydancer
09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Susan, Sandi and deb [-X

I have to admit that I like Toby's music, although I'm not particularly fond of the way his personality has evolved in the last few years. I've seen him a couple of times since his career broke out, most recently in July. and he put on good shows, but I liked him even better when I saw him a few years earlier at a much, much smaller venue. Although I like his upbeat songs, I also like the ballads he has sung over the years, but he didn't include any of those in his latest show.:(

Paula

Yeah, same here. I like his music, but his personality hasn't seemed too admirable lately. :( I think it's kind of a shame, though, to see someone who has so much talent yet can't seem to strive for his attitude to be on that same level.

wmcinnis
09-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I have a real hard time seeing the talent through the attitude:rolleyes:
-Susan-

sandis
09-27-2004, 09:12 PM
-Susan-

:D :D :D

Skydancer
09-28-2004, 09:21 AM
-Susan-

There's that too...

I am only familliar with his earlier work before all this started happening. I have seen others just like him who shall remain nameless... but I'm sure we all have... who seem really talented and good-natured when they first break into the scene, but then when they get used to the all spotlight and the praise and the ins and outs of showbusiness, they don't seem to evolve too gracefully!

Being an entertainer seems to take you in one of two directions: you realize how big your heart is, or how big your ego is... I think Garth is definitely one in that first category. The good news is that we can be faithful that Garth will never be like that and when others get too big for their breeches, we can always be thankful that amidst it all, Garth was there.

wmcinnis
09-28-2004, 08:07 PM
There's that too...

Being an entertainer seems to take you in one of two directions: you realize how big your heart is, or how big your ego is... I think Garth is definitely one in that first category. The good news is that we can be faithful that Garth will never be like that and when others get too big for their breeches, we can always be thankful that amidst it all, Garth was there.

Very well said Sky.....I couldn't agree more:)
-Susan-

olewis77
09-28-2004, 08:19 PM
I can understand what you all are talking about, but to defend Toby(don't hate me) he didn't start getting any publicity until he set his foot down and became the ego you all are having trouble with. He really is a great guy, and I can even see some Garth qualities in him, but you have to look past the attitude and ego to see it. Until he became a ****&!@ no one gave him the time of day. Maybe we should be questioning an industry where you have to/feel the need to become a steirotype to make it big. Besides, isn't he mostly just being a guy?? Talk about me was a guy's point of view, he has written several emotional ballads but none have been released to radio (partiotic ballads not included) wonder why???

sandis
09-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Not necessarily true... isn't "That's my life", or whatever that one was called, where he's the divorced dad driving by his old house, etc, an emotional ballad? That was certainly on the radio... a lot... and I still hear it on my radio station. And something about a "blue moon"... and wait, there was also one called "we were in love", I definitely remember that one. I know my Toby, unfortunately!! Especially the Toby pre-patriotic ballads... and sort of pre-ego.

-Sandi

Skydancer
09-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Olivia, I don't hate you. Just say whatever you feel. I know where you are coming from! :)

My mom saw his concert on TV (when "How Do You Like Me Now" was popular) and said that he gave a good show and that some people did the "How Do You Milk A Cow" parody and he apparently thought it was funny and was a good sport about it. I saw an interview with the girl who played the cheerleader in the How Do You Like Me Now video and she said she really enjoyed working with him...

I don't hate Toby I think he has goodness within him, and it has shone through from time to time. And I do know how guys sometimes are, lol! I wasn't even aware of his apparent ego until it was talked about here. I was never a (regular) listener of his music, so I never really paid much attention to what he was doing.

I have witnessed showbusiness from behind the scenes (for those who don't already know, I am a dancer) and there are some things that an audience would be surprised to know that will easily cause one to feel sensitive. Sometimes something doesn't go your way or you disappoint yourself and you try to sound confident and come off sounding a little bratty... Now I prefer that if they absolutely need to make a self-centered remark to clear their mind that they do it in private and remain strong and resilient when they're in the public eye. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen that way.

But then again, I can only imagine being so popular that I have love and hate groups critiquing every move I make, everything I say, everything I put out to the world... not being able to go out without risking getting being tracked down by fans, fans wanting to know everything about my personal life, looking me up on the internet... the tabloids, etc, etc... And in such a competitive world where people put such am emphasis on what critics say and don't follow their own instincts... believing everything they read about you, even if it was published just for attention...

Very few people can handle that with grace and class. Garth was one of the diamonds in that situation- more perfect cut and shaped than when smooth.