PDA

View Full Version : TFK & Little League World Series

garthiu
08-07-2004, 08:18 PM
I was just watching one of the Little League Regional games and they said that TFK had made a donation of some sort to support Little League and/or the LL World Series and that they would be unveiling a statue at the outfield fence. Didn't say what the statue was of... Anyone heard about this? I know its sort of a tradition for the winning team to run out and touch the outfield fence... I have this vision of the kiddies bowing to a statue of Garth at the world series! :) lol

Jody

trixie1717
08-08-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm from Williamsport, but I have not heard anything about this. However, my friend's dad works at the Little League World Series, so I'll ask her to find out. There is a statue of Mr. Lamade at the outfield fence that the kids tend to bow to already, so it must be something different. I know Garth has been wonderful to Little League. He actually sent a telegram to one of the kids a couple years ago to congratulate him on doing the best he could. I'll try my best to find out and let everyone know.

Garth_FANtasizer
08-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Garth Brooks’ Teammates for Kids Foundation Goes to Bat for Little League Challenger Division
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (June 10, 2004) – The Garth Brooks Teammates for Kids Foundation, together with 28 current and former Major League Baseball players, has established a $2 million endowment to provide annual support to the Little League Baseball Challenger Division beginning with the 2005 season.
The Teammates for Kids Foundation was co-founded in 1999 by country music star Garth Brooks and foundation president Bo Mitchell. It exists to develop and implement concepts that generate funds for children’s charities.

To date, The Teammates for Kids Foundation has donated more than $37 million to various charities. On Saturday, Aug. 21, during the 2004 Little League Baseball World Series, “The Mighty Casey,” a 14-foot bronze rendition of the fabled slugger from the iconic baseball poem “Casey at the Bat,” will be unveiled in recognition of this endowment to Little League International.

“Garth Brooks and I are very excited to be partners with Little League in the Mighty Casey project,” said Mr. Mitchell. “To see 28 Major League players join together to help expand the Challenger Division is truly an inspiration. It is our hope that everyone who sees Casey in the years to come will be as encouraged as we are to see baseball, kids and charity all come together for such a great cause.”

The statue is one of four crafted by sculpture Mark Lundeen of Loveland, Colo. It will stand proudly outside of Howard J. Lamade Stadium as a reminder that The Teammates for Kids Foundation is giving “Casey” another chance to hit one out of the park for the children who play in the Challenger Division.

The Major League players are all contributing partners to the Touch ‘em All Division of The Garth Brooks Teammates for Kids Foundation.

In 2003, more than 350 Major League Baseball players pledged their support to make a difference in the lives of children across the country. In addition to these MLB players, the Teammates for Kids Foundation has many different “teammates” all over the world. Among these teammates are professional hockey players and football players, celebrities, corporations, other foundations, and fans.

“With this endowment, the Teammates for Kids Foundation acknowledges and appreciates the benefit of the Challenger Division,” said Stephen D. Keener, president and chief executive officer of Little League Baseball and Softball. “This statue will stand as a symbol for those people who have set aside the limitations of their disabilities for the opportunity to experience the emotional development and fun that comes with playing Little League Baseball.”

For the complete article:

http://www.littleleague.org/media/brooksfoundation.asp

~Ann~

Paula
08-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Good find, Ann! Very :cool:.

Welcome to PG Jody!

Paula

garthiu
08-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the info, Ann!
Jody

fuzzwuzz
08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
http://pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1093166424169150.xml

fuzzwuzz
08-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Little League tips cap for Challenger Division grant
By Kent Malmros / Special to MLB.com

WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. --- The Little League motto consists of three simple words: character, courage, and loyalty.
No initiative better strives to embody those traits than the Challenger Division -- a Little League program designed for mentally and/or physically disabled youth who want to participate in and receive the full joy and benefits of playing youth baseball. Recently, the Baseball Tomorrow Fund, an ongoing joint initiative between Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, awarded a $150,000 grant to the Little League Challenger Division.

Saturday night, before the Little League World Series United States final featuring Thousand Oaks, Calif., and Richmond, Texas, the Baseball Tomorrow Fund was recognized for its contribution with an on-field ceremony at Lamade Field. The ceremony featured Executive Director of the Baseball Tomorrow Fund, Cathy Bradley, presenting a ceremonial check to Stephen D. Keener, President and CEO of Little League Baseball, Inc., and James Ferguson, Director of Little League Baseball, Inc. -- Challenger Division.

This money will allow the Challenger program to fund equipment and uniform purchases, as well as field renovations, ranging from $500 to $5,000. This should mean funding will be provided for around 75 deserving leagues for the next five years.

"I'm really excited about this," Ferguson said. "Because this will help the leagues financially and get the Challenger program started, and up and running."

According to Ferguson, the program has already earmarked several specific areas where the Challenger program expects to provide assistance to youth baseball programs around the country. One potential recipient of such grant money is a program in Puerto Rico. Another such area is Florida -- where there are many Little League organizations that Ferguson hopes have or will start Challenger Divisions. Since so much of the state was recently ravaged by Hurricane Charley, he believes this money could assist those programs in many ways.

"Part of the benefit of this program is that funding the Challenger program assists the development of the regular Little League programs as well," Ferguson said. "This money will help fund fields used by everyone participating in a given program."

Ironically, Little League officials were first made aware of the Baseball Tomorrow Fund and its grant opportunities through conversations with people affiliated with Garth Brooks' foundations. Brooks is one of baseball's most recognized fans, who has participated in Spring Training batting practice and games with the New York Mets, San Diego Padres and Kansas City Royals. His organization, according to Ferguson, was aware of the Baseball Tomorrow Fund, and suggested Little League forge a relationship with it.

Kent Malmros is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040828&content_id=841030&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp