PDA

View Full Version : Cheney uses Garth song without permission?

Brett Dale
07-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Isnt Garth a democrat?, judging by his songs he is, did Cheney use this song without permisson?

MINNEAPOLIS - Republicans may sometimes try to cast him as an inconsequential candidate for the vice presidency, but Sen. John Edwards featured prominently at a rally here Saturday by Vice President Dick Cheney.

``President Bush has his opponent in this campaign, and now I have mine,'' Cheney told more than 1,000 supporters. ``We are looking forward to a spirited contest this year.''

Cheney and organizers of the rally worked hard to project an almost youthful spirit.

Signs held aloft by children and inscribed ``Cheney Rocks'' and ``Too Cool'' were featured in an MTV-style photo montage projected on screens beside the stage as a song by Garth Brooks blasted inside the Minneapolis Convention Center.

Taking to the stage shortly after the theme from ``Rocky'' played, Cheney whipped off his blue blazer before starting to speak, prompting a raucous cheer from the crowd.

In his speech, he emphasized the sure-handed experience he said the Bush administration would provide in a difficult period.

``These are not times for leaders who shift with the political winds,'' Cheney said. ``Terrorist attacks are not caused by the use of strength; they are invited by the perception of weakness.''

While describing the Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. John Kerry, as unable to make up his mind, Cheney took an indirect swipe at Edwards, a former trial lawyer, by attacking that profession.

``For the good of the economy we need to end lawsuit abuse,'' Cheney said. ``It is a lot easier for American businesses to hire more workers if they don't have to hire more lawyers.''

Garthmedic
07-20-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't know much about the business, but since it's ok to play GB songs at parties, weddings and other festivities, I can't see how he would need permission to play the song. He (personally) isn't making money off the song, either.

--spud--:)

Snow
07-20-2004, 08:51 PM
I might be wrong... have been before. *lol*... but I seem to remember someone mentioning before that Garth is a republican. If so he's definitely a moderate republican and not of the extreme that has currently been more visible and seems to be running the party. But then again... other than the social bent of his songs he seems to keep his mouth closed on politics. Wish some other country singers would follow suit... think of TK. *lol* I dont mind them having an opinion... everyone is entitled to one... some of them just go overboard though.

fuzzwuzz
07-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Garth mumbled on a Charlie Rose inteview that he is a registered Republican but that whoever gets in office has his support because the system works. I wish everybody showed more respect like Garth does. To me it's more important to find out what's good and uphold that. Like Garth said, don't tell me it's not there.

Brett Dale
07-21-2004, 07:22 PM
When he toured Newzealand in 1994, he was asked this question?, he didnt say who he suppourted for president, but he said he like this democrat who was his neigbour, who was running for Governer or senator? I cant remember which.

The interviwer then said, (and this was in 1994) So in 2000 its you against Arnie for President"

Garth just laughed.

I might be wrong... have been before. *lol*... but I seem to remember someone mentioning before that Garth is a republican. If so he's definitely a moderate republican and not of the extreme that has currently been more visible and seems to be running the party. But then again... other than the social bent of his songs he seems to keep his mouth closed on politics. Wish some other country singers would follow suit... think of TK. *lol* I dont mind them having an opinion... everyone is entitled to one... some of them just go overboard though.

ObsessedwithGarth
07-26-2004, 03:44 AM
He is a registered Republican but I know that he and Sandy did a lot of fund raisers for our governor Bredesen (sp?). He was running for the mayor of Nashville at the time. He is a democrat.He said that he votes for the person, not the party.