PDA

View Full Version : GB TV Alert Reminder

Vanessa
07-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I just wanted to remind ya'll that Garth'll be on the BRAVO channel this Sundat at 9/9pm for the 35th annual songwriters HOF induction. http://www.bravotv.com/Songwriters_Hall_of_Fame/

God and peace,
Vanessa :)

beckysue59
07-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Can't wait!!!!!:D

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
07-15-2004, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the reminder sweetie!:D

CC

Rooster
07-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Got my VCR set! :)

phillygirl4garth
07-15-2004, 06:51 PM
This is one time I regret not having Cable:(

Denise

Vanessa
07-16-2004, 12:46 AM
ya'll are very welcome :)

God and peace,

gloria07m
07-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Gloria

berriffic
07-17-2004, 02:14 AM
Yay! A garth weekend! Woohoo

Paula
07-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Heads up...this is on in less than 2 hours in my neck of the woods.

Paula

beckysue59
07-18-2004, 08:46 PM
An hour and fifteen minutes and counting!! LOL. :p

Paula
07-18-2004, 09:53 PM
...and if I've timed this right and in sync with the PG clock, the show begins in *7* minutes.:)

Paula

PJ
07-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Now I realize how much I miss seeing and hearing Garth. He looked so great in the black silk shirt and I miss seeing that twinkle in his eye!

jagnikhah
07-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Oh I totally agree. He looked so good and I miss his smile too.

Teach
07-18-2004, 11:25 PM
What a performance!!!!!!!!!!!! At one point the camera caught him straight on and he looked absolutely wonderful. This man needs to start performing again. He has so much talent.

gloria07m
07-18-2004, 11:28 PM
You're right PJ, that twinkle is definitly missed !
He looked sooo good!

Garth looks like he still really enjoys being on stage.

Gloria

beckysue59
07-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Awesome!!! :applause:

Cheryl
07-19-2004, 12:18 AM
All I can say is WOW! That was so incredible. :D Sigh.....it's been way toooooooo loooonnnnngggggg. Those eyes just go right thru ya. And has he ever sounded better?!? Best Garth Fix in a mighty long time. :)

beckysue59
07-19-2004, 12:33 AM
For some reason, I thought he was supposed to sing two songs, though. I don't know where I got that idea.:confused:

jagnikhah
07-19-2004, 12:42 AM
If anyone wants screen caps Ill make some but it will be a little while.

jagnikhah
07-19-2004, 01:37 AM
Here are two pics.

sandis
07-19-2004, 01:41 AM
THANK YOU Heather!!! :D

-Sandi

Garthmedic
07-19-2004, 01:42 AM
Ok,

I don't get Bravo here at the Fire Station. What did he sing?

--spud--:)

Lost 'n' Garth
07-19-2004, 01:56 AM
He sang Starry, Starry night!! Did a wonderful job!! :)

Thanks for the Pictures!!

Cheri :)

Jena
07-19-2004, 03:12 AM
OMG he did such a great job!! I miss him so bad! And he just has the most stuning eyes!! I was just melting when I watched!! And he sounded wonderful!! Thanx for the pics! They were awsome!

Garth_FANtasizer
07-19-2004, 06:56 AM
And that my fellow Garthnutts is why THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER GARTH! No matter how many times the media tries to coin the latest flavor of the month as the next Garth, they can never get that direct line to your soul with a single performance like Garth does.

Garth, we need you!

~Ann~

gloria07m
07-19-2004, 09:01 AM
You said it Ann !

Gloria

Rooster
07-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Ditto! :)

PJ
07-19-2004, 09:50 AM
For some reason, I thought he was supposed to sing two songs, though. I don't know where I got that idea.:confused:

He did, he just combined them together.

Garth started with Starry, Starry Night then sang a verse from Vincent, then ended with Starry, Starry Night.

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 11:34 AM
I just wanted to remind ya'll that Garth'll be on the BRAVO channel this Sundat at 9/9pm for the 35th annual songwriters HOF induction. http://www.bravotv.com/Songwriters_Hall_of_Fame/

God and peace,

I caught the very end of the preformance, any links to click on to see and here the preformance on plantet garth of any other website

Vanessa
07-19-2004, 11:40 AM
for some reason the link I posted doesnt work..if you go to www.bravotv.com that'll work :) I agree Garth did an amazing job! :D I love Garth's version of Empty Chairs.. wow! :eek:

God and peace,

PJ
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I also had to laugh at how fidgety Garth was while holding the award and introducing Don McLean. He reminded me of a little kid excited to be talking in front of people. ;)

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
for some reason the link I posted doesnt work..if you go to www.bravotv.com that'll work :) I agree Garth did an amazing job! :D I love Garth's version of Empty Chairs.. wow! :eek:

God and peace,

no music, great images of all the preformers, where do you get music, my VCR brooke.

PJ
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's a couple of pix from Bravo's site...

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
I also had to laugh at how fidgety Garth was while holding the award and introducing Don McLean. He reminded me of a little kid excited to be talking in front of people. ;)

I cught the very end of it , yes indeed , Garth was nervous presenting. Could not see the entire preformance, My vcr brooke, to bad i could nt record it, any where someone could seee the telecast on the net. I tried bravo only had images no sound.

jagnikhah
07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
If someone wants to see the performace you can email me.

BLL
07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Um, 'Vincent' is 'Starry, Starry Night'. He also sang Empty Chairs, but it wasn't broadcast.

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
He did, he just combined them together.

Garth started with Starry, Starry Night then sang a verse from Vincent, then ended with Starry, Starry Night.

Isn't Starry Starry Night and Vincent the same thing

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Um, 'Vincent' is 'Starry, Starry Night'. He also sang Empty Chairs, but it wasn't broadcast.
too bad Empty Chairs was not boradcast this would of be great to see that, any where someone could see the unseen portion of the show or where someone could see garth preforming that song anywhere else, that would be a classic. Garth did mention that Empty Chairs is one of his favoriate songs.

beckysue59
07-19-2004, 01:10 PM
He also sang Empty Chairs, but it wasn't broadcast.

That's what I thought I read somewhere. I wish they had broadcast it. :(

CJSHORTEN
07-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Loved seeing Garth perform!! He sounded spectacular!!

KelleyluvsGarth
07-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Wow! How is it possible for one man to steal our breath away in one short little song? I must say, Garth looked really good and that smile was, as always, spectacular! I loved hearing him do Starry,Starry Night - what a beautiful rendition!! I was amazed to hear that he loves "Empty Chairs", that is a favorite of mine and I must admit - I heard it on a CD a friend made for me of Garth stuff - he sings it on that CD. I had never heard it before or since and didn't know where it came from - I thought he wrote it!! :D Nice to know where it came form finally!! Garth seemed to be happy to be there and relished the time on stage again. I to loved his nervous fidgit while speaking about Mr. Mclean. It was adorable and just one more reason why we love him so. I know I for one needed the Garth moment on tv and I appreciate the fact that all of my kids came in, quietly, to watch with me and cheer with me. Loved the standing ovation too!!! Garth is classy and the best. Sure do miss him...hope those rumors of a comeback are true!! (Guess the word comeback isn't appropriate really, he hasn't lost any popularity!!) Here's to Garth and another perfect performance!! ;)
Kelley

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Wow! How is it possible for one man to steal our breath away in one short little song? I must say, Garth looked really good and that smile was, as always, spectacular! I loved hearing him do Starry,Starry Night - what a beautiful rendition!! I was amazed to hear that he loves "Empty Chairs", that is a favorite of mine and I must admit - I heard it on a CD a friend made for me of Garth stuff - he sings it on that CD. I had never heard it before or since and didn't know where it came from - I thought he wrote it!! :D Nice to know where it came form finally!! Garth seemed to be happy to be there and relished the time on stage again. I to loved his nervous fidgit while speaking about Mr. Mclean. It was adorable and just one more reason why we love him so. I know I for one needed the Garth moment on tv and I appreciate the fact that all of my kids came in, quietly, to watch with me and cheer with me. Loved the standing ovation too!!! Garth is classy and the best. Sure do miss him...hope those rumors of a comeback are true!! (Guess the word comeback isn't appropriate really, he hasn't lost any popularity!!) Here's to Garth and another perfect performance!! ;)
Kelley
wow Garth actually sings that song Empty Chairs, never heard it before, but I am sure it is wonderful, how can one get acess to this recording. Would love to hear this song by Garth

fuzzwuzz
07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Would have loved to hear it!

But you know what? That whole show was nothing short of phenominal! Truly the songwriters really and truly know the power of music to change our world. I know of no one else who can tenderly hold my heart in their hands and then set me free to fly like a white dove on the wind.

sandis
07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
For those that missed it, looks like it will repeat on July 21st at 9pm!! :)

KelleyluvsGarth
07-19-2004, 03:21 PM
wow Garth actually sings that song Empty Chairs, never heard it before, but I am sure it is wonderful, how can one get acess to this recording. Would love to hear this song by Garth

Garthtacular,
I got it from a good friend who got it from a friend. (sounds shady huh!) I would be happy to burn a copy - or at least try - can you burn a copy from a copy?? I don't know where it came from originally - I think it is just one of those things that someone had and was sweet enough to share. I know the quality isn't that great - I mean to Garth's standards- I think it is awesome! Just let me know...

Kelley :)

PJ
07-19-2004, 04:33 PM
wow Garth actually sings that song Empty Chairs, never heard it before, but I am sure it is wonderful, how can one get acess to this recording.

I think it is from Don McLean's PBS special where Garth and Nanci Griffith were the guests.

PJ
07-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Isn't Starry Starry Night and Vincent the same thing

Sorry, my bad

KelleyluvsGarth
07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
I think it is from Don McLean's PBS special where Garth and Nanci Griffith were the guests.
Thanks PJ - looks like I actually missed a show with Garth on!! would have loved to have seen that one. Thanks for the info though. I think that CD does mostly have songs from TV shows that he has done.

garthtacular
07-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Garthtacular,
I got it from a good friend who got it from a friend. (sounds shady huh!) I would be happy to burn a copy - or at least try - can you burn a copy from a copy?? I don't know where it came from originally - I think it is just one of those things that someone had and was sweet enough to share. I know the quality isn't that great - I mean to Garth's standards- I think it is awesome! Just let me know...

if you could try, I would be greatful, do not know if someone could actually burn a copy form a copy or not.

Jen19
07-19-2004, 09:01 PM
I got really heckled from Christian because I almost cried. I had a tear in my eye, as soon as he started to sing. I missed him so much, getting to hear him and see him was so awesome. Gosh I sure do miss that. I totally agree on the twinkle in his eye. Its been way to long since I have seen that. It was really awesome to see, he sure looked great, besides the shirt, not my fav .LOL It was so great to see him, but especially hear him sing !!!!

JEN

Jen19
07-19-2004, 09:08 PM
oh I forgot to add, that yes Garth sang Empty chairs on the PBS speical but its been a while. I know I have it on tape will have to sift throught my collection I can make it and MP3

JEN

GBheartandsoul
07-19-2004, 10:14 PM
When I was watching the show I couldn't wait for Garth to come on and when I saw him I was so happy. I missed seeing him so much. He looked really great and it was nice to look into those beautiful blue eyes again and see that twinkle & joy of performing.

I've always liked the song "Vincent" and Garth sang it so beautifully. Very pure & sweet. He was absoulutely wonderful.

He did a good job presenting the award to Don Mclean. I agree, he was cute doing it. Don did a nice job singing American Pie and you could see by looking at the audience what that song means to people.

It was also nice to see Garth & some of the other honorees and participants talk leading into the commericials. I think Garth talked twice and he talked about getting a request to sing a Hall & Oates song and about leaving a message on Stevie Wonder's phone. Very cute.

I enjoyed the whole show and taped it all, but of course the highlight was seeing and hearing Garth. Ann, you are so right. There will never be another Garth. He is irreplaceable. No one can match him and while there are talented artists and some good music in the current country scene, it just isn't the same without him.

Yes, Garth did perform "Empty Chairs" on a PBS special for Don Mclean. I haven't watched it in awhile, but I do remember that Garth did a great job and showed his wonderful sense of humor. I can see why that song is his favorite.

I would also like to offer my assistance as far as video copies are concerned. I would be happy to help.

Seira

Harriet
07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
The two songs Garth sang at sound check that day were Vincent (Starry Starry Night) and Castles in The Air..
they only aired Vincent, but that doesn't mean he didn't perform Castles in The Air at the ceremony.. perhaps they only had time to air Vincent...
if we knew someone who was at the ceremony, we'd know if he sang both songs...
I agree that his performance was amazing, and he looked fabulous...
by far the best performance of the night... not that I'm biased, or anything, lol...

Harriet

Paula
07-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Watching him sing again just made me miss him all the more. He did a wonderful job and sounded fantastic.

What did anyone think about Don McLean's comment about not realizing he (meaning himself) was country?

Paula

Harriet
07-19-2004, 11:26 PM
What did anyone think about Don McLean's comment about not realizing he (meaning himself) was country?

Paula[/QUOTE]

I thought it was very cool of Don to say that.. I think it shows that he appreciates Garth's respect for his songwriting.. maybe Don never thought that his songs would be covered by a country artist...and when that happened, it proved that his songs could be country as well as pop.. does that make sense?
I don't particularly think Garth sounds overly country when performing covers though, do you? he just sounds like Garth! always singing with his whole heart..

Harriet

May_G&T_fan
07-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone else noticed Garth and Trisha in the crowd during the show? There was never a real close shot, but I went back and found a few cute moments.
One was when Don McClean was singing American Pie, about the middle of the song you see Garth sitting next to Trisha and he kisses her head/hair on the side. And I think he does that again during the standing ovation.
Also during the Neil Sadaka song they're both sitting there with thier heads together.
It's very cute! Just thought I mention it for any Garth and Trisha fans who missed it! :)

marissa

jagnikhah
07-20-2004, 01:47 AM
I looked so hard to find them but could never see them. Could you describe where they were sitting?

sandis
07-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Thank you Marissa!! I completely missed seeing them...or seeing her... and was soooo bummed!! I will definitely go back and look for this... :)

-Sandi

May_G&T_fan
07-20-2004, 01:51 AM
hmm, let me see, from the direction of us facing the tv they were sitting in the back left side, kinda in front of the piano, I think. lol
Oh and Garth's not wearing his hat when he's sitting down so just look for the hair!

KelleyluvsGarth
07-20-2004, 10:42 AM
if you could try, I would be greatful, do not know if someone could actually burn a copy form a copy or not.

I will give it a shot and seif it works. It may be next week before I get some time to try it though...going to school and I have 2 papers to get done in a very short amount of time! (sometimes I think people over 20 shouldn't go back to school!! The brain doesn't work as fast!!!! ;) Maybe it is just we have more on our brains??) Anyway, I will let you know if it works or not and then we can go from there!

As for the comment by Mclean about being country - I at first was upset -if anybody even remotely insults Garth I get a bit perturbed! Then, I realized he didn't mean to be insulting. I think Garth does "covers" very well - he trys to be true to the original and still put a bit of himself in there - which usually is his heart and soul. He truly is the best at whatever he does - not biased here at all! :D

I am going to go back and watch for the Garth and Trisha moments - I am so glad that soemone saw them - I must have blinked! Is it going to be rebroadcast on the 21st? They are so sweet together - and by the looks of him (and her) they are good for each other too! Does anybody think that maybe she is the reason for that twinkle back in his eyes?? I know that he was happy to be on stage and singing - but I think there was more behind the twinkle... I am so happy for them - he deserves happiness!

Kelley

dlr5
07-20-2004, 11:28 AM
thanks everybody!

And Kelley, YES, Trisha is one reason he has that twinkle back in his eyes!!!

Gotta love it!

Diane

GBronx
07-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have the words to Empty Chairs? Or a good link to lyrics besides Lyrics.com??

That site stinks big time!!!!

Jo

Garth_FANtasizer
07-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Here are the lyrics from Don's official website.

Empty Chairs
Words & Music by Don McLean
(Album - American Pie)

I feel the trembling tingle of a sleepless night
Creep through my fingers and the moon is bright
Beams of blue come flickering through my window pane
Like gypsy moths that dance around a candle flame

And I wonder if you know
That I never understood
That although you said you'd go
Until you did I never thought you would

Moonlight used to bathe the contours of your face
While chestnut hair fell all around the pillow case
And the fragrance of your flowers rest beneath my head
A sympathy bouquet left with the love that's dead

And I wonder if you know
That I never understood

Never thought the words you said were true
Never thought you said just what you meant
Never knew how much I needed you
Never thought you'd leave, until you went

Morning comes and morning goes with no regret
And evening brings the memories I can't forget
Empty rooms that echo as I climb the stairs
And empty clothes that drape and fall on empty chairs

And I wonder if you know
That I never understood

~Ann~

jagnikhah
07-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I think I spotted them where Marissa said. Here is a pic, they are sitting at the bottom of the screen on the left side kind of behind the person wearing white.

dlr5
07-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks Heather!

If you save that pic and then brighten it up, you can see them a lot better!

Diane

PJ
07-20-2004, 05:38 PM
hmm, let me see, from the direction of us facing the tv they were sitting in the back left side, kinda in front of the piano, I think. lol
Oh and Garth's not wearing his hat when he's sitting down so just look for the hair!

That's where I thought I saw them sitting as well (about the second row of tables back) but since we never got a good close up it was hard to tell from just the quick shots of the backs of their heads.

May_G&T_fan
07-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Yup, that's where I saw 'em! And another time I think I saw him kiss her on the top of her head, it was during the standing ovation for Neil Sadaka (sorry got my standing o's confused before). I'm not sure if he does or not, but he's the only one who gets up, (she doesn't) and he bends down to do something. If not during that whole song you can see them there sitting with their heads together. They're just too cute, ooh I almost can't stand it...yeah i can! ;)

marissa

fuzzwuzz
07-20-2004, 11:55 PM
When Garth was looking directly into the camera he seemed totally focused on us, the people. How can we look into his eyes and not believe it to be so? It's a great feeling at this time of being so apart, ya know?

Snow
07-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I finally saw it last night.... and yep you're right Dale... I LOVED that look. It was so good to see it again.

Ya know... Garth would probably be upset with me for this... but... hey... I gotta be me right?

I LOVE Don McLean's songs... and Starry Starry Night is right up there with my top favorites of all songs. HOWEVER... I've become disenchanted with Don McLean the singer/writer. I will always love and be thankful for his past work... but there is just something about his manner on stage these last few years that I dont like. He makes me feel like he's kind of "bothered" with having to be there. I dont think he loves performing at all. I don't think he cares about those that love the music either. I'm not sure how to put it... but it's like the "passion" in his singing isn't there.

I'd 100 times rather hear one of his old recordings of his songs than hear him sing it live today... or even hear someone else sing his songs. I think Garth did a much better job of capturing Starry Starry Night than Don did with Ameican Pie. I know I'm biased towards Garth... but I dont think that is it. I think there were many artists there that night that could have done a better job than Don did with the same song.

And it's not just the age or anything. There were older artists there that still have that "thing" when you heard them sing. Maybe their voice wasn't what it was 20 years or so ago..... but they still had the magic. Don doesn't anymore. And it's not the first time I've thought this about him. I've heard him sing before in the last 5 years and it was the same thing. At first I put it off to him having "off nights" or whatever.... but that's not it.

GBronx
07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
but there is just something about his manner on stage these last few years that I dont like. He makes me feel like he's kind of "bothered" with having to be there. I dont think he loves performing at all. I don't think he cares about those that love the music either. I'm not sure how to put it... but it's like the "passion" in his singing isn't there.

Deb you don't know how right you are!! We were at the hotel that day and Don McLean came walking passed us and Wendy asked if She and Shelby could take a picture with him. He agreed but you'd have thought she asked for $10,000!!
Then later that night as he was leaving the hotel people were gathered outside and asked him to sign or take pictures and he very nastily said NO!!!

Paula
07-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Deb, you put your finger right on it. Although I never saw Don McLean perform in his heyday and, except for American Pie, was not really familiar with his music until Garth brought it to me, I just couldn't figure out why Garth thought he was such a great performer, based on the two (or maybe three) performances I've seen of his - Central Park and the Songwriters' Awards are the only two that come to mind.

Paula

Snow
07-24-2004, 02:33 AM
If you listen to Don McLean's earlier recordings... especially American Pie and Starry Night... you'll hear the difference. He had "IT"... there's magic there.

You know the song they sang just a little later in the evening... "Killing me softly (with his songs)"? I don't think they mentioned it... or if they did, I didn't hear it.... but that song was written ABOUT Don McLean! That is how magical and influential he was.... and his SONGS still are. It's just his performance that isn't there anymore.

phillygirl4garth
07-24-2004, 05:50 AM
I'm jealous that I didn't get to see the show:*(

But I'm happy for those of you who did. :) And just know that Garth was back if only for a few moments gives the greatest joy:D

Denise

GBronx
07-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Here are the lyrics from Don's official website.

Empty Chairs
Words & Music by Don McLean
(Album - American Pie)
Morning comes and morning goes with no regret
And evening brings the memories I can't forget
Empty rooms that echo as I climb the stairs
And empty clothes that drape and fall on empty chairs

~Ann~

Thank you Ann!!! :)

fuzzwuzz
07-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Don McLean is one of the best songwriters we've ever had after the Beatles. I myself have seen Don perform live, very upclose and personal, at a small club we had here in the 80's called "The Stage East." Don put on a very stiff acoustic performance that surprised me. It didn't seem to fit the guy on his records. I sat on the dance floor almost in front of him waiting to be moved by his music as usual. But the only thing I really remember is waiting for something, anything, to happen, and it finally did when he started into "American Pie" and this girl just started dancing all across the stage and dance floor as if on cue. But some saw it as rude and she was escorted away promptly. I found the whole thing very surreal and strange. And I don't recall getting Don to sign my "American Pie" album before I left either. I'll have to dig it out again to check. But I can see what Garth sees in those songs and Don's performance of them then. But maybe sometimes, it takes someone like Garth to keep the flame hot and out into the spotlight. I reckon not all singer/songwriters can pull that off with the passion that's needed that keeps a song more alive than ever.

fuzzwuzz
07-24-2004, 10:30 PM
I just asked my husband what he remembers about Don's show at The Stage East. He remembered liking it alot, not boring at all, but reminded me Don isn't a young man anymore, even then. He also forgot about the dancing girl, but can't seem to forget the couple later in the parking lot who tried to get us to do drugs with them. I don't recall that at all. Then again, I used to drink more than him in those days. :)

boppityboo
07-26-2004, 02:56 AM
Wow! I can't believe how much I've been out of the loop on Garth. I totally forgot about his tv appearance, which is soooo unlike me. lol. But, I've been pre-occupied the last 2 months. New romance and all.. very time consuming, in a good way. :) Thanks everyone for posting the pix, I'm really sad I missed it. But, fortunately I have his performance of Empty Chairs on video. :) He looked fabulous. I miss him. Thank goodness my boyfriend doesn't mind Garth although he is a rock 'n' roller. lol. Or else he wouldn't be my boyfriend. lol.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I know I am. :)

Ellie

fuzzwuzz
07-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi Ellie! What's cooking? It's been a good/hot summer here in Florida for sure! No hurricane threats yet at least!

addicted2garth
07-27-2004, 12:42 AM
It was great seeing Garth perform again and he sounded so good. I noticed the nervous, fidgity part when he was presenting the award too. I thought it was very cute. It made me miss his performing even more than I realized.

The twinkle was definately back in his eyes and I think Trisha is one of the reasons for that. I think the other reason is he is happy and at peace with himself being the dad he always wanted to be. When Garth was at ST in 1999, I met him for the first time and thought he was great--polite, nice to the fans etc. But when he was here in 2004 there was such a huge difference that I couldn't believe it or put my finger on what it was exactly. He was happy, friendly, giving hugs, appreciative of the fans still being interested in him. I knew then that whatever he was doing he needed to keep doing it because it made such a big difference. I never thought of it before I read this post, but it was the "twinkle" in his eye that made the difference... and whatever the reason, I hope it stays there forever.

Lori

Paula
07-27-2004, 10:16 PM
But, I've been pre-occupied the last 2 months. New romance and all.. very time consuming, in a good way. :)Don't think you can leave on that note...get your butt to the Back Porch and fill us in.:p

Paula

fuzzwuzz
08-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Thought I'd share part of this touching story here. There's a link to the full article too.

A last dance for fallen Marine
Widow honors husband with funeral ballet

Barely seven months earlier, she had performed a ballet dance at the couple's wedding reception while her new husband watched, the Rev. Scott Howell told a crowd of more than 200 mourners.

The pastor, who performed the couple's wedding ceremony in December, yesterday offered a funeral service for the young man, a 23-year-old Marine Corps lance corporal who was killed July 23 in Iraq.

Howell called Sullivan, a 1999 graduate of Chatham High School, "a husband, a friend, a defender of freedom," and spoke of "the passion he had for the security and well-being of his country."

Sullivan served with the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. He was serving as a scout sniper on his second tour of Iraq when he was killed.

The pastor described how Sullivan's mother Susanne would listen to the ballad "Vincent," or "Starry, Starry Night," when she was pregnant with her first son, and how the song's lyrics -- inspired by Vincent Van Gogh's painting and his early death -- prompted her to name the boy Vincent. A line in the song: "This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

His younger brother Brian recalled Sullivan's impishness as a youth, his bravery and his love for his wife.

"We're here to say goodbye to someone that we all loved, and more importantly we're here to celebrate the life of a hero," he said in the eulogy. "He lived a fuller life in 23 years than most people can even hope for." ...

The couple never got to take a honeymoon because Sullivan reported to California for training just days after their wedding.

In Erika Sullivan's eulogy for her husband, she recalled a poem he had written for her.

"You give me strength," he had told her. "You have only the last part of my name, but you have all of me."

The couple's first dance at their wedding had been "The River," a quiet, almost mournful song by Garth Brooks.

That song played yesterday, too. Dressed in her black mourning clothes, Erika Sullivan clutched her brother Robert Olsen, swaying in a sad embrace, her clenched fist pressed to his skull.

Later, she changed into a white ballet dress to perform graceful pirouettes and arabesques as the service drew to a close.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1091425851127970.xml

phillygirl4garth
08-07-2004, 10:17 PM
*OMG* Need tissue. That story was very touching. Thank you for posting it. :ipray: to the family, friends of that Marine. Heck, :ipray: for all of us.

Denise

garthtacular
09-05-2004, 11:24 PM
If someone wants to see the performace you can email me.
i would like to see this preformance.