PDA

View Full Version : The most poignant Garth moment??

Skydancer
02-09-2004, 05:20 PM
This will probably be a difficult and by all means impossible question for most of us. But what about Garth (specifically - not so much a character trait as it is specific things he has done) has touched you the most? Like if you could pick just ONE incident that was most poignant, which would it be??

I guess my most poignant is, as he has said before, not what he did, but what he does. So it really is a recurring thing...

I guess if I had to stick with just one, it would be what he does, and that one thing that seems to happen a lot is every time he wins the hearts of the audience during a performance, he just gazes out at everyone, like, "I can't believe this has happened to me, I remember when it was just a dream that seemed so far away..." and he is just so moved that you see him laughing and crying at the same time... Kind of like he's tranced sort of like thinking of the pain and now the dance... but knows perfectly well where he is at the same time. Oh, words can't even describe it, but even that is a cliched statement. I'll stop trying.

TrishaNGarthFan
02-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I guess if I had to stick with just one, it would be what he does, and that one thing that seems to happen a lot is every time he wins the hearts of the audience during a performance, he just gazes out at everyone, like, "I can't believe this has happened to me, I remember when it was just a dream that seemed so far away..." and he is just so moved that you see him laughing and crying at the same time... Kind of like he's tranced sort of like thinking of the pain and now the dance... but knows perfectly well where he is at the same time. Oh, words can't even describe it, but even that is a cliched statement. I'll stop trying.

I know that look or gaze you're talking about, and I love it too.

I just love it when Garth sings a duet with Trisha and looks at her as if she's the only other person in the arena. Meanwhile, there's 25,000 screaming fans all around them. Kind of like when they did "Wild as the Wind" in Vegas. It's very touching, and intense.

Sue

fuzzwuzz
02-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Ty England had the same far away look when I saw him in concert last week. Like another time, another place. :)

ozlad
02-12-2004, 02:59 AM
At his concert in Brisbane (Australia) I witnessed the extraordinary, one man who simply by his presence and energy, made every one of the 38,000 people in that crowd feel like they had a personal connection with Garth through the very heart and soul of his music and words. There was something very special about that night that I could bever describe in words, not just the fact that I was less than 5 metres from the man I had come to idolise throughout my teen years, but the incredible energy this man gave off to every single screaming fan in that arena.

Wendi5000
02-12-2004, 04:28 AM
This is an easy one for me. I had barely started listening to Garth back in '95. I'd had couple of tapes (In Peices and The Chase) and I liked them but I wasn't really into being a huge fan yet. I don't think I'd ever even heard "The Dance" at that point.

My friend died by suicide at the age of thirteen. The funeral home was packed, standing room only, and grieving classmates lined up for half a mile down the street in both directions. In the pouring rain. They played "The Dance" at Megan's funeral.

"The Dance" is a song about living life to the fullest, never knowing how things are going to turn out, and not wanting to because you'd be tempted to change it, and to change the bad you'd have to leave behind the good as well. "The Dance" is also a song about hope, about faith, about going on in the face of pain. I know the choice to play that song at Megan's funeral saved many lives that week.

That was by far the most poignant Garthy moment of my life, and also the moment at which I became what I would really consider a 'fan'. I went out the very next day and bought the first album so I could listen to "The Dance," over and over, through the tears. To this day when I hear that song I get a mist in my eyes, and I probably always will.

ykonjackfan
03-07-2004, 07:32 AM
I can't name an exact MOMENT, but, for me, the most poignant thing about Garth is the extraordinary way in which he sort of reached right through our chests, grabbed our hearts, wrung them out and put them back in, better for the wear. Some of you mention that "look" he gets on his face when he's onstage and that's related to that which I'm trying to say. For instance, think of that moment at the end of his first television special, after he has sung "The Dance". He stands there amidst this thundering crowd, the cheers, the tears, the lighters held upward, etc. and it's like watching a child take in the wonders of Christmas. You know that he is memorizing that moment with the intention of replaying it in his mind for the rest of his life. You know that he's thinking, "Man, this is unbelievable. Please, God, don't let me ever forget how alive and awed I feel at this moment. And all of a sudden, the culmination of Garth's dream becomes a catalyst for the awakening of our own. I have always felt as though Garth was born with an amazing innate vision. I'm not talking about some "out there" messianic mission. I'm just talking about a young man with a heart bursting with passion that would not allow him to settle for merely existing. It's a passion that continues to entice us all out to that place where the tide rushes high and begs to be danced.
I love that place. I'm indebted to him for the "red strokes" I no longer overlook. I think he's one of the most decent human beings I have ever known. I hope his "river" never runs dry.

Blessings,
ykonjackfan

Skydancer
03-08-2004, 02:42 AM
I'm just talking about a young man with a heart bursting with passion that would not allow him to settle for merely existing.

Yet he is so modest about his accomplishments in music that although he had to have been exceptionally ambitious to make it far as he did, he doesn't have that stereotypical "You wanna fight with me?" personality that determined people are often accused of having.

It was only by chance that made him Garth Brooks, the name and figure. It was heart that made him Garth Brooks, the person.

Jen19
03-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Only 2 words

"Central Park" my first concert

As I left on the subway, which was so over packed, I couldn't move from the poll I was trying to hold on too. The smile on my face was filled with overjoyed and I was gleaming even though I was so exhausted I could barley hold my self up. That was the moment that changed my life forever.