PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Garth!

Skydancer
02-09-2004, 05:24 AM
I have been listening to Double Live a lot lately, and every time it just gets more and more incredible just how much he loved the audience and how much they loved him. It was so hard to tell who loved the other more! When I compare him to other artists in this manner, Garth is so much more outgoing, sings with more heart, and the more "imperfect" he sings, the more heart he sings with. His personality and spirit on stage is so unparralleled that words cannot do justice to describe its profoundness. I remember all his words to the audience in between, and all his improvisation that was not on the studio albums that sounded exactly like something he'd rehearsed all his life. I have come to realize that artists like Garth only happen about once every fifty years. Maybe a lot more. It just comes so natural to him, I don't think thought in advance how "thoughtfully" he would treat his fans. And I don't think I have ever heard cheering and screaming, and standing ovations that loud and constant for any performer, singer or not. But I have to stop there because as I said, words cannot do justice- you must believe it to see, but also see to believe.

Above all this, I remember from the Concert at Central Park back in 1997, when Garth left it up to his audience to finish the verse of "Unanswered Prayers" how moved he was. I also remember his words, "That's the greatest gift you can give an artist: To take their songs, and sing them right back at 'em!" Well, I guess since every song he does holds a special place within me, the only way I can do that without singing all day is to (attempt to anyway) illustrate the lessons I have learned through Garth and his music:

1. Don't you sit upon the shoreline and say you're satisfied. Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tide. (The River)

2. If you're gonna make a difference, if you're gonna leave your mark, you can't follow like a bunch of sheep, you gotta listen to your heart. (Against The Grain)

3. There's a moment we all come to in our own time, in our own space... where all that we've done, we can undo if our heart's in the right place. (When You Come Back To Me Again)

4. There's a lighthouse in a harbor shining faithfully, pouring its light out across the water for this sinking soul to see that someone out there still believes in me. (When You Come Back To Me Again)

5. How do I love, we'll count the ways. There ain't no number high enough to end this phrase. (Wrapped Up In You)

6. Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood. (Thicker Than Blood)

7. There's two dates of time and they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what the mean. What's more important, there's a time that is known in that little dash there in between. (Pushing Up Daisies)

8. As long as one heart still holds on, than hope is never really gone. (The Change)

9. Remember when you're talking to the Man Upstairs that just because He doesn't answer doesn't mean He don't care. (Unanswered Prayers)

10. It's the fire inside your heart that's gonna lead you to the light. (How You Ever Gonna Know)

11. You know failure isn't failure if a lesson from its learned. I guess love would not be love without the risk of being burned. Anything in life worth having, Lord, it has its sacrafice, but the gift that you're recieving is worth more than the price. (How You Ever Gonna Know)

12. Listen not to the critics who put their own dreams on the self. If you wanna get the truth to admit it, you gotta find out for yourself. (How You Ever Gonna Know)

13. They call you a hero or a traitor, but you'll find out sooner or later, nobody in this world is gonna do it for you. Do what you gotta do. (Do What You Gotta Do)

14. Heaven's not beyond the clouds, it's just beyond the fear. (Belleau Wood)

15. There's times I'd rather kill you than listen to your honesty... but you've always been a friend to me. (A Friend To Me)

16. But bad as it was, well now brother wasn't that better, dealing with him face to face... cause it will never go away until the fear that you are running from is finally embraced.... Face to face. (Face to Face)

17. The blues will be blue and the jealousies green. But when love picks its shade, it demands to be seen. (The Red Strokes)

18. Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire. (Standing Outside The Fire)

19. It was over in a minute, and that's when I realized, the blood came from my mouth and nose, but the tears came from his eyes, and in memory of that fateful night, I knew the greatest pain was his... (The Night I Called The Old Man Out)

20. I'm gonna smile my best smile, and I'm gonna laugh like it's going out of style, look into her eyes and pray that she don't see... (Learning To Live Again)

21. We shall be free! This what I'm singing to you... (We shall be free) cause every night and day I pray, it's true. Together forever, cause we shall be free! (We Shall Be Free - live version)

22. Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you... (It's Your Song)

23. Well I guess I was wrong, I just don't belong, but then... I've been there before." (Friends In Low Places)

24. It's time that she stops searching for who's to blame or what went wrong. The only thing for certain is he's gone. She's gotta move on. (The Storm)

25. So tell that someone that you love just what you're thinking of if tomorrow never comes. (If Tomorrow Never Comes)

26. We had a need to feel the thunder, to chase the lightening from the sky, to watch a storm with all its wonder raging in each other's eye. We had to ride the heat of passion like a commet burning bright. Rushing in long in the wind, out where only dreams have been burning both ends of the night. (That Summer)

27. You know a dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows and the dreamer's just a vessel that must follow where it goes. (The River)

28. There's bound to be rough waters, and I know I'll take some falls, but with the Good Lord as my captain I can make it through them all. (The River)

29. To my heart and soul, this is the way the story has to be told. That's the way I remember it, I remember it that way. From the day I was living it, I remember it that way. Some of our stories fade as we grow older. Some get sweeter every time they're told... (That's The Way I remember It - From Chris Gaines Album)

30. It don't matter to the sun, but it matters to me. (It Don't Matter to the Sun - From Chris Gaines Album)

31. Its time for sure, for ending this war, cause my heart can't take anymore... sending up, sending up, sending up a white flag. (White Flag - From Chris Gaines Album)

32. Forget your troubles and forget the news. We're gonna pull the plug and black out the blues... (Tearin' It Up & Burnin' It Down)

33. God, somehow, you know that ship is me. (When You Come Back To Me Again)

34. Sometimes I tell you the way that I feel, I swear that I'm going crazy. Keep telling myself it ain't that big a deal. It's better than pushing up daisies. (Pushing Up Daisies)

35. If blood is thicker than water, then what are we fighting for? We're all sons and daughters of something that means so much more. (Thicker than Blood)

36. I'm on a roll, and I swear to my soul, tonight I'm gonna paint this town. (Two Pina Coladas)

37. Sing it with us! (Garth Live)

38. Yeah! (Garth live when the audience is into it)

39. I think the friends in low places should sing that third verse! (Garth Double Live)

40. You've got to be tough when consumed by desire. Cause it's not enough just to sand outside the fire. (Standing Outside The Fire)

41. We call them strong, those who can face this world alone, who seem to get by on their own, those who will never take the fall. We call them weak, who are unable to resist the slightest chance that might exist, and for that forsake it all. (Standing Outside The Fire)

42. And as she walked away, I looked at my wife, and then and there I thanked the good Lord for the gifts in my life. (Unanswered Prayers)

43. How you ever gonna know what it's like to be there? How you ever gonna know if you're the best? How you ever gonna know what you believe in if you don't put it to the test? How you ever gonna know how it feels to hold him? How you ever gonna know what livin' means? How you ever gonna know... if you never chase the dream. (How You Ever Gonna Know)

44. And now I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end, the way it all would go. Our lives are better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance... Yes my life, it's better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss...

The...

Dance...

Take heart!

Happy Bday Garth!

Rooster
02-09-2004, 09:40 AM
...and every time it just gets more and more incredible just how much he loved the audience and how much they loved him. It was so hard to tell who loved the other more!
It's what separates him from other artists, Sky! :)

Krystal

garthfamily
02-11-2004, 10:56 PM
I've found messages for every situation I've been in, in Garth's songs.

Thanks Garth