PDA

View Full Version : "so far, no one the level of Garth Brooks or Alan Jackson."

ProducerJ
12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
There's a neat story here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031206/music_nm/music_country_dc_3) about the substance coming back into country music, that includes this quote:

Radio consultant Joel Raab says, "There are a lot of strong, authentic artists, but so far, no one the level of Garth Brooks or Alan Jackson."

This probably should go in the other artists forum, but I wanted to start it here and get people's thoughts on this quote.
J.

Vanessa
12-08-2003, 03:30 PM
imo, AJ isn't a strong artist.. Garth is. Garth had changed country music for the better.. what has AJ done?

I don't really agree totally with that qpute.. I think that there are artists' who are up and coming who will be strong in their own element :)

jmho :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

GriggsGarthGirl
12-08-2003, 04:04 PM
What got me about this article is comparing Jimmy Wayne and Jeff Bates to legends like Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard. That just does not sit well with me at all. There's no way you can make comparisions like that after one song/one CD. It's just not possible.

If I remember correctly no one expected great things from Garth when he first came out. He was lost in Clint Black's shadow. That's where the next big star is going to come from--out of someone else's shadow. That's the way it always happens.

Plus, with all these artists with the sad life stories are more or less a novelty right now. It's just something that people are interested in now, but I don't think it'll last too long. You can only hear so many times how horrible someone's life is before you get bored with it. Jeff Bates can't even get radio to play another song from him...

wmcinnis
12-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Garth had changed country music for the better.. what has AJ done?

I agree Vanessa that Garth has definitely changed Country music for the better but at the same time I give Alan alot of credit.....he's kept that traditional country sound and he's still going strong today.:)

Good article Joyce.
If I got the just of the article correctly, they weren't really comparing artists like Jimmy Wayne and Jeff Bates to the likes of Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash as artists but more making a similar comparison as in their substance abuse problems etc....which brought them to write or perform such real life songs.....in which case they hope would attract more male listeners that have gone or are going through similar situations in their life. When I read this article, who came to mind but Travis Tritt....now there's a real Man's Man Artist:)
-Susan-

GriggsGarthGirl
12-08-2003, 10:05 PM
I don't believe Jimmy Wayne has or had a substance abuse problem. He simply had a rough childhood. But, I don't see why having a substance abuse problem or a rough childhood should make your music any more real. Garth never had a substance abuse problem and from what I've heard had a pretty happy childhood--was his music any less real? Was he any less of a man's man? I don't think so. What makes your music real is feeling it in your soul. If you've lived it that makes it easy. A real artist can put themselves in someone elses shoes for 3 minutes and make you believe they've lived it even if they haven't. Johnny Cash, for instance, never spent a single night in jail, but many people believe that he has. Some people would swear up and down that Folsom Prison Blues was a true story. Because Johnny tells it as though it is. And you can feel that. Feeling the songs and singing them as though you lived them is what gives an artist staying power. Not a rough childhood or a drinking problem. That just gives you a story for the DJs to tell as they intro your song.

Garthfan92
12-08-2003, 11:11 PM
I am glad to see the male artists coming back strong. While I don't think AJ has done that much for country, I too will give him credit for keeping tradition alive. Guess we'll wait and see which of these newer artists really makes it in the long run. I agree that you don't have to have a tough childhood or any other problems to sing believable songs though! Who ever came up with that idea?

Lisa

Vanessa
12-08-2003, 11:38 PM
if you look at artists' like keith urban or phil vassar or ty england. They've all had the ups and downs of life and such, but they've made it to the top in some respects.. some more so than others..

I dont think that there will ever be another Garth ever.. the way that he's affect country music and several hundred people around the world can never ever be matched!, jmho

while, AJ has done things for country music, imo he needs to do more.

god and peace,

fuzzwuzz
12-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Well, BOTH those guys has done alot for ME! Tim McGraw too! At one time I wouldn't give them the time of day. They finally won my heart. I love them, only because they made me feel their love first. THAT'S special! In rock music, this is even rarer. Where was I all those years getting nothing in return for my devotion, I ask you?

wmcinnis
12-09-2003, 07:06 AM
I don't believe Jimmy Wayne has or had a substance abuse problem. He simply had a rough childhood. But, I don't see why having a substance abuse problem or a rough childhood should make your music any more real.

First off, I didn't say Jimmy Wayne had a substance abuse problem....read my post again, as there's an etc... in there:)
I understand what you're saying that it takes a great artist to make a song real for the listeners but at the same time if you know the artist has gone through what they're singing about, it makes it more appealing for some listeners, as it brings the artist down to their level.....that they've had problems and their human too.

-Susan-

garth_fan183
12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
i personally think that montgomery may be the next big guy.. i know it is kind of hard to tell with him only having 2 big hit, "speed" and "hell yeah", so far, but i like his style... anyone think the same?

ProducerJ
12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Again.... refreshing the discussion we've had in the other artist's forum....

The correct terminology for Montgomery Gentry, if not calling them by their stage name, is Joyce's man and the other guy. They're a duo.

You should visit MontgomeryGentry.com. :D Those are the two hits they've had off of this album, but it's their third album. Remember Hillbilly Shoes? Lonely and Gone?

It's worth the trip to the website just to look at my man. ;)
J.

garth_fan183
12-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Hillbilly Shoes & Lonely and Gone, must have come out before i got back into country... i went through about a year or 2 wanting to be a "thug" but you know, you can't ever loos what you grew up with.. anyway, i love his page, just that flash keeps takin forever for my comp to load.. lol

Darrell
12-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Well I think Garth's impact on country is obvious. I remember reading a thread on here a couple of weeks back where Tim told him "thanks for knocking the doors down for us". Let's not however forget the impact Alan Jackson has had. His "Where were you when the world stopped turning" helped console a nation. The lyrics to that song are even entered into the congressional record. Garth's own anthem "We shall be free" is great but certainly not on that level.

Vanessa
12-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Darrel- I think if you compare AJ's "where were you when the world stopped turning" to Garth's WSBF, they're both on different levels. Yes AJ's song helped to console this nation after 9/11 but WSBF helped to raise awareness for AIDS and such.. not many artists' have done that since then..

god and peace,

GriggsGarthGirl
12-10-2003, 01:08 PM
I don't think WWYWTWST can be compared to WSBF. WSBF relates to so many different events in the history of the world and can be played for many occasions/reasons. I know it was a highly request song right after 9/11. As was The Dance and The Change. They helped console the nation before WWYWTWST was even written. They are songs that are universal and can relate to any tragedy. Well, The Dance can be used for almost any big occasion--graduation, wedding, funeral, anything... WWYWTWST is a great song about 9/11, but that's all that it can relate to. It's very specific to that one event. The Garth songs are timeless.

Wendi5000
12-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Woo Hoo Garth & Alan get top dibs. Makes me happy :):)

P.S. This was the post I was TRYING to reply to this morning when it ended up on the thread "Oh dear." Someone said the forums must have a mind of their own and I'm starting to think they're right! :p

CowboyPMGN
12-12-2003, 05:21 PM
I think Garth and Alan have done a great job...of course Garth a better job cause I am biased...but Jimmy Waynes songs make me think about life as well especiall I Love You This Much