PDA

View Full Version : In the Life of Chris Gaines....A Timeline

Cheryl
07-30-1999, 08:12 PM
Well, after reading the article on VH1, I was trying to put it all together in some kind of order. After a lot of cutting and pasting, this is what I came up with! Hope it's helpful.....<P><BR><B>1967</B><BR>Christian Gaines was born to an Olympic swim team coach and a champion swimmer in 1967. His birthplace was Brisbane in Australia.<P><B>1972</B><BR>Moved to Los Angeles at the age of five, a moved that crystallized the youngster's desire to hit the stage rather than the beach.<P><B>Early to mid 80's(?)</B><BR>He left high school to form the band Crush with Tommy Levitz and Marc Obed. Their study of the Garth Brooks songbook generated the prom anthem "My Love Tells Me So."<P><I>(OK.....big question here! How is it that the band Crush was able to study the Garth Brooks songbook in the early to mid 80's????)</I><P><B>1986</B><BR>Tommy Levitz dies in a plane crash.<P><B>1987-88</B><BR>The two years of quiet that followed Levitz's death speaks of hard decisions to be made. In the meantime, Gaines finished both his GED and solo debut <I>Straight Jacket</I>.<P><B>1989</B><BR>Call it his Tapestry, as it hung in nearly every household in the land after remaining in the Billboard Top 200 for over 200 weeks <BR>beginning in 1989. <I>Jacket</I> is still his most successful album.<P><B>1990</B><BR>Gaines' issues with his disappointed father were left unresolved when Gene Gaines died in 1990. The blow gave birth to <I>Fornucopia,</I> Gaines' most fully realized album. "Main Street" was as good as his idol and Gaines wore despair well. <I>Fornucopia</I> spent over 18 weeks at No.1 and its stamina was only enhanced by Gaines' accident.<P><B>1992</B> <BR>Car crash that burned Chris Gaines beyond recognition. It plunged the inoffensive AOR star into a four-year-long slough of silence and darkness. No interviews; no videos. <P><B>1994</B><BR>Instead there was only 1994's <I>Apostle</I> album and the ensuing furore that shot his three albums back into the Top 10. Only <BR>Gaines knows what happened in that void himself. There were reports of plastic surgery.<P><B>1996</B><BR>When the recluse opened the shutters in 1996 with the release of <I>Triangle,</I> he seemed a new man - or maybe an old one trying <BR>to find something new. <P><B>1999</B><BR>Releases his <B>Greatest Hits,</B> including the new single "Lost in You".N

honky
07-30-1999, 09:39 PM
<B>Cheryl</B>,<P>Thanks for all the work :) The story is pretty complicated...LOL<P>TommyN

Pilgrim
07-31-1999, 01:38 AM
Ditto :D<P>BrianN

BigGfan4life
07-31-1999, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the info :D This story is complicated, but I admire Garth for giving Chris a full background and being so creative with him. :)N

07-31-1999, 05:24 AM
WOW.. Cheryl!!!<P>hmm ya mind if I use that on the site?? :)<P>That was awesome work ya did.. of breaking it all down!! :)<P>JasonN

Cheryl
07-31-1999, 06:15 AM
Well, now that would be cool seeing my little cut and paste job up at chrisgainesfans! :) Sure Jason, my pleasure! Heck, if it helps somebody get to know Chris a little better, then I'm all for it!<P>No comments about my question???? Call me a stickler for details, but we all know that the band "Crush" couldn't study something by Garth Brooks prior to 1986! LOL, I think it was cool that Garth was made a part of the background, but unless they (Crush) were studying him while he (Garth) was trying to make a go of it as part of the Santa Fe Band, this particular piece of background on Chris just doesn't fit! LOL, I know it's ficticious.....but it bugs me all the same! :) N

Chris_Gaines
07-31-1999, 10:38 AM
Well Cheryl here's my idea about that question LOL<P>he was born in 1967.. so that means he graduated HS in 1985.. unless.. he was born after August... then it would be 1986..<P>so if it was the later.. that would be the same timeframe.. GB was in Stillwater.. singing on the stage... and when he made "Hungry Years" LOL<P>Jason :)N

Peggy
08-03-1999, 04:07 PM
Cheryl...<P>I just got finished reading the article at vh1. I didnt even realize the discrepency until your timeline.HMMMMMM....<P>anyway-- i enjoyed reading the article. I thought a lot f it was very "tongue in cheek" it seemed kinda --humorous.<P>BUT.... the Garth Brooks link opens to the wrong place- it should open to Planet Garth. I emailed VH1 to let them know I thought so-- alot of good it'll do though-- :)<BR>N