PDA

View Full Version : What five artists do you think are on the bubble (close to losing their record deal)

Darrell
10-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Just out of curiosity. Maybe an artist you haven't heard in awhile or one who's new ablum flopped. In other words, someone who might be on the bubble. Note this is nothing personal against the artists themselves. My picks ....

1.Jo Dee Messina-last couple of singles haven't done well at all.
2. Tracy Lawrence- last I heard he was with dreamworks but definitely not as big as he used to be.
3.Mark Chestnutt- don't hear much out of him these days.
4. Neal Mccoy-Same as above.
5. Andy Griggs- Last album Freedom got lost in the shuffle.

ProducerJ
10-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Mark did loose his record deal. :-(

You are going to get Amy's fire lit talking about Andy Griggs that way, LOL.

Tracy just got a new record deal, he's at Dreamworks, after leaving Warner Brothers.

Chris Gaines
10-17-2003, 04:47 PM
I thought Tracy was on Atlanic Records... least his website still links to them.. even though he's with Dreamworks now :)

GriggsGarthGirl
10-17-2003, 04:58 PM
I'll agree with you that Freedom got lost in that shuffle, which is a shame because there were many amazing songs on there. But rest assured Andy's record deal is as strong as ever. He's currently finishing up his 3rd CD working with Randy Scruggs as his new producer. His first single from the third CD will be released on December 15th and I cannot wait! Hope RCA puts the promotion behind it that Andy deserves. If they don't then hopefully he will get a new record deal.

Now, as for other artists. I'm amazed Steve Holy still has a record deal. He can't even get a second album released. But, Curb just likes to hold on to artists even if they won't release CDs for them. That's why Jo Dee Messina doesn't have to worry about losing her record deal, she probably couldn't leave even if she wanted to.

ProducerJ
10-17-2003, 08:38 PM
No doubt Amy - ask Tim McGraw!

Tracy's 1st deal was on Atlantic, that's where all his hits were. Then they folded in April of 2001, and Tracy got absorbed into WB. (Craig Morgan, South 65, Tim Rushlow, and some others weren't so lucky - or unlucky, depending on how you look at it.) He put out an album on WB in October of 2001. What A Memory was the single they worked, great song, but it didn't do much at radio.

Elizabeth Cook, John Michael Montgomery, are 2 others WB picked up, for whatever good that did them. Same story with Giant folding... is that where Neal McCoy is at now? WB? They did nothing with his 24/7/365 album, but it seems like I've heard new music from him recently...

GriggsGarthGirl
10-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Anyone who wants a deal for life should sign with Curb. I think David Kersh still has a deal there and it's been FOREVER since he's recorded anything.

I was thinking about other artists who might be on the bubble and came up with Lee Ann Womack, Darryl Worley and Phil Vassar. I think Lee Ann is working on a new CD, but people didn't really respond too well to her new look and new sound on her last one. I have Darryl on the list simply because he has a platnium CD and radio didn't want to play the second single from it. That can't be a good sign. And Phil has close to the same problem only without the sales. Radio doesn't seem interested in anything he's put out lately.

ProducerJ
10-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Phil was the first one to come to my mind... but I was afriad Kerry and Vanessa would come beat me up for saying it out loud. *snicker* And I don't know if it's radio as much as it is the label. I learned on PG about some singles they'd "released" that I never got a single press item on.

One thing labels will do is a limited test run, on stations that you'll hear the "smash or trash" type features. If it doesn't do well in a few select markets, then they don't go any further with it.

I think Darryl and Lee Ann are safe. I worry about Chalee Tennison at Dreamworks. Jessica isn't faring much better though. Guess they have all their money on the "Big Dog."

GriggsGarthGirl
10-18-2003, 12:35 AM
I did think of Jessica as well, she's having a very hard time with radio. I guess Darryl was more wishful thinking for me, but it is odd that he wasn't able to follow up Have You Forgotten with another hit. He kinda let all that momentum die out, which can't be a good thing.

Dreamworks does focus a lot of their energy on Toby. They signed Eric Heatherly, had him record a whole album and then released him before the album even came out. Now he's got his own record label so that he can have more control over his own music. But I doubt he'll have the money to get his music played the way that a real label would. It costs so much to get a hit single these days...sometimes it bothers me that it works that way.

GBsgirl
10-18-2003, 09:25 AM
I hear Tennessee River Run here a lot. The one Cincinnati station plays it and at the end it says Let's make an Ohio River Run. Love the video!!!!

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea

Darrell
10-18-2003, 02:54 PM
hmmm I'm hearing Worley's new single alot too in my area. I think he's pretty safe. As far as the comments about Curb, I couldn't agree more. Tim was against releasing the Greatest Hits CD because he had already completed Set This Circus Down and was ready to go with it. By the way Tim is heading back into the studio with the dancehall Doctors to record a new album. Tim said it worked so well the last time that he couldn't imagine not using his band for the next album.

GriggsGarthGirl
10-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Boston's country station NEVER played Darryl's current single. Not once. And I think we're one of the larger market stations. And the last chart I saw had the song going from 31 to 36, obvisouly with no bullet. For a song from a platnium selling CD that's pretty pathetic. I think. Especially since his last single was a multiple week #1 single. Sometimes when you have hits like that you raise your own bar and the label will expect you to repeat that success again and again. If he can't, he might have problems. If his next CD doesn't see the same sales the label might give up on him.

Another artist who might very well be on the bubble is Carolyn Dawn Johnson. Just heard that her management is disbanding her fan club. That *can't* be a good sign for her.

fuzzwuzz
10-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Yeah but a true fan lives on forever along with the music that made them one. :)

Darrell
10-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Just thought of another one. What about Shedaisy? Talk about falling off the map.

ProducerJ
10-19-2003, 05:21 PM
That would be another good guess! Aaron Tippin is another one that Lyric Street hasn't had success with. They seem to have all their eggs in the Rascal Flatts basket.

Chris Gaines
10-19-2003, 07:07 PM
SheDaisy has been on tour.. but not released an album in a while.

wmcinnis
10-19-2003, 08:38 PM
Speaking of falling off the map, what ever happened to Ty Herndon??
-Susan-

ProducerJ
10-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Sony put out "Heather's Wall" as the first single from an upcoming album. The song did nothing at radio, and they dropped him, and instead of releasing the album, they put out a greatest hits to fufill his contract.

I have an advance on the album that was never released... somewhere...

Ty is also divorced now as well.

J.