PDA

View Full Version : Garth for Governor

Paula
10-08-2003, 10:29 PM
For those who don't get the Garthbox, this was in today's edition posted by Ziggy - http://www.kotv.com/pages/viewpage.asp?id=52291
If Oklahoma voters turned against a politician - there is a way to boot them out of the office. But it's not always in the hands of the people - and when it is, it's not as easy as in California.

News on 6 reporter Emory Bryan has the story. Hes our Governor, Brad Henry - and like him or not we'll keep him. Oklahoma law doesn't allow for the recall of elected state officials. He could be "ousted", a procedure the Attorney General handles for neglect of duty, public intoxication or a criminal conviction.

On the city level - recalls are possible, for all elected officials - including the mayor and city council. If someone wanted to recall the mayor, the process starts with a recall petition with 5% of voters signing on. The city requires a supporting petition be filed with 25% of voters agreeing to the recall. That triggers a recall election - where a simple majority could throw the mayor out of office. So we can't recall the governor, but we could recall the mayor.

So the question becomes if he was recalled - who should replace him? California has a deep pool of actors to choose from when they make a change. Tulsa has country music stars, so we chose 7 for a straw poll downtown. Man: "Boy it's a hard one, Roy Clark would be a good mayor, but I'm going to go with Garth Brooks, he's such a nice guy." Our voters went the popular route. Woman: "Definitely Garth. Garth all the way."

In our hypothetical, unscientific poll - Garth Brooks won by a landslide. He could be mayor - but who would want to? Even if you're elected - someone might decide to terminate you.

Even though the recall option is available in Tulsa - it's never been used.

EMORY BRYANPaula

Garthfan92
10-08-2003, 10:52 PM
That's pretty funny. SURE he'd win! Too bad he doesn't want to get into politics.

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
10-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Garth was made for bigger and better things than mere governer. ;)

ProducerJ
10-08-2003, 11:55 PM
cool story! I just put it up on the home page.
Thanks Paula - and Ziggy!
J.

Garth_FANtasizer
10-09-2003, 10:18 AM
I agree with Dale. Garth's impact on the world extends above a mere politician.

Maybe World Ambassador would be a good title for him.

~Ann~

fuzzwuzz
10-09-2003, 04:07 PM
In many ways, with that heart of his, he's already there. And hopefully taking many along for the ride. :)

GBsgirl
10-09-2003, 06:24 PM
If Garth was Governor..... I'd volunteer to be his intern!!!!!!

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea

Angels4BobSeger
10-09-2003, 09:33 PM
If Garth was govornor, I would not mind being Lt. Govornor under him.

That would be so so great!

Sandy

Vanessa
10-10-2003, 01:18 AM
I dont know what's under the Lt. Governer, but I'd be that ;) lol

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

Chris Gaines
10-10-2003, 01:28 AM
Secretary of the state?

LOL
I dunno either.. just a guess.. lol