PDA

View Full Version : Kathy Chiavola(Garth's back-up singer)

fuzzwuzz
09-27-2003, 09:08 PM
I guess I can't share the whole article without a link, but Kathy does mention Garth!

Interview: Kathy Chiavola discusses her career and new CD, "From Where I Stand"
Date: 03-09-2002; Publication: Weekend Edition - Sunday (NPR); Author: LISA SIMEONE

You may very well have heard Kathy Chiavola's voice whether you know it or not. She's been the backup singer on hundreds of Nashville studio recordings--Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Kathy Mattea, Ricky Skaggs, Tony Rice, Bill Monroe, Emmylou Harris, all have been harmonized and sweetened by her singing.

The voice of Kathy Chiavola may also have snuck up on you in a TV commercial. She has sung the jingles for Country Time lemonade, McDonald's and many others. But she spends plenty of time in the foreground, too. Kathy Chiavola performs regularly at a Nashville bluegrass club, and she recently released her third solo album. Oh, and did I mention she also sings opera and classical music?

SIMEONE: Well, who is really--I mean, I read this list in the introduction of people you've backed up. So who is really, really fun? Who has a really hot session that you love to sing backup for?

Ms. CHIAVOLA: Well, of course, I loved being able to record with Emmylou Harris and Ricky Skaggs. I mean, they're just terrific, but I had the greatest experience working on Garth Brooks' first record, and I've worked on a couple since then, but when I went into sing, he was so enthusiastic and so excited. Of course, he was unknown at that point. And I got to sing on his song, "Alabama Clay," which I just love.

(Soundbite of music)

Mr. GARTH BROOKS: (Singing) His neck is...

Ms. CHIAVOLA and Mr. BROOKS: (Singing) ...red as Alabama clay.

Mr. BROOKS: Now he's going...

Ms. CHIAVOLA and Mr. BROOKS: (Singing) ...home this time to stay, where the roots run deep on the family tree, and the tractor rolls...

Mr. BROOKS: (Singing) ...through the fields of dreams.

Ms. CHIAVOLA: He was jumping up and down, he was so excited. And he said, `I don't see how you do that so fast. It took me 60 takes to get my vocal on this record,' you know, and `This is unbelievable, ' you know. And he was just so innocent and I left the session and I said to my singing partner--I said, you know, it's just really kind of sad that, you know, that guy is so naive and he's really talented, but you know, I don't think anything will happen for him.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Ms. CHIAVOLA: He's just going nowhere.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Ms. CHIAVOLA: So anyway, I'm an expert.

ProducerJ
09-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Cool find Dale! It is funny to hear all the people that thought Garth wouldn't make it.

I'm usually the opposite. I'm convinced someone is star material, and they put out 2 singles that do nothing, the label drops them, and they're never heard from again. *sigh* Good thing I'm not a talent scout, eh?

Here's the link to Kathy's interview:
http://www.npr.org/programs/watc/features/2002/mar/chiavola/

By the way, if you were reading her name like me "Chee-a-vola" we were way off base! LOL. It's Key-Ahh-vo-la!
J.

P.S. the Garth story shows up 9:20 into the interview. But keep listening and you'll recognize her voice for more than her Garth work! LOL

Vanessa
09-27-2003, 11:16 PM
thanks Joyce and dale for your cool soundbites and interviews.. :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
09-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Oh thanks Joyce! I can't wait to hear it! :)

Honeybunny31
09-29-2003, 10:23 AM
That was a great interview!! Thanks Dale & Joyce..

TC,

Lisa