PDA

View Full Version : Please PLEASE HELP! Garth project for Mass Media Class, Due Thursday!

meredithlee26
09-24-2003, 12:31 AM
Hey Guys! I used to post here regularly awhile ago, but I forgot my old username. Glad to see everyone's still keeping up with Garth!

Okay, down to business. I have this impossible professor for my Mass media class in college. He assigned us a project on our favorite music artist, which sounds like fun, but some of these questions are impossible to find. I just thought of y'all when i was trying to answer some of these questions, and I know you can help.

Here are the questions, any answers or info on where to go to find the answers would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Also can you please tell me what website you got the info from, that's required. I know some of them I just need a little help. Think of it as a big trivia contest! :)

THANKS GUYS SO SO SO MUCH!!

1. record label Garth started with? was it Capitol?
2. why he left, if he did
3. estimated annual earnings or how much he's worth
4. how did he get his start - first big break - was it the bluebird cafe?
5. current industry status (i know, retired, but how are his albums/singles doing?)
6. all number 1's and on what charts
7. involved in convergence? been in movies, TV, comercials?
okay i know all about The Lamb, televised concerts, Dr Pepper commericals, but how do i cite this? is there a documented source?
8. to whom are his songs targeted?
9. what radio formats are we likely to hear his songs?
10. i need a playlist from ANY country station in the nation with Garth on it
11. what techniques is his website (planetgarth) using to get people to buy albums and merchandise?
12. info on producers (allen reynolds.. who else?) and also, what does a producer do exactly?

okay - that's pretty much it!! any replies can be posted here or e-mailed to me directly at meredithlee26@earthlink.net. THANKS EVERYONE SO MUCH, AGAIN! i look forward to your generous responses :)

~*Meredith

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 01:57 AM
1. record label Garth started with? was it Capitol?
- Yes

2. why he left, if he did
- Never left Capitol.. still on it.

3. estimated annual earnings or how much he's worth
- he's worth about $500 Million

4. how did he get his start - first big break - was it the bluebird cafe?
- Yes it was.

5. current industry status (i know, retired, but how are his albums/singles doing?)
- 104 Million sold.. only had one single ever released. "Lost In You" sold 500,000 copies. (Largest Selling Solo Artist Ever. Artist of the century, and of the Decade(90s))

6. all number 1's and on what charts
- That could take time.. search the net you'll find it :)

7. involved in convergence? been in movies, TV, comercials?
okay i know all about The Lamb, televised concerts, Dr Pepper
commericals, but how do i cite this? is there a documented source?
- Never was in a movie yet... Dr. Pepper was his ONLY commercial.
Had cameos in "Mad About You" and "Empty Nest."

8. to whom are his songs targeted?
- Anyone that wants to listen :)

9. what radio formats are we likely to hear his songs?
- Just about any.. Country, Rock, Pop.. usually.

10. i need a playlist from ANY country station in the nation with Garth on it
- Check radio websites for that.

11. what techniques is his website (planetgarth) using to get people to buy albums and merchandise?
- This is not 'his website' Garth has no official website. This is a fan website. Garth has always said he's not 'cool enough' to have his own official site.

12. info on producers (allen reynolds.. who else?) and also, what does a producer do exactly?
- Country.. it was only Alan. The Gaines project it was Don Was.
A producer is what sets up the album.. from the music recordings to what order the songs will be on the album.

Good luck Meredith :)

meredithlee26
09-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Chris gaines - thanks so much for all that! a couple more things - i've checked a bunch of radio websites for playlists - they just don't post them, and if they do then it's like the top 10 of the week or something and obviously garth's not on that.. do you think i would be able to get one by calling my local radio station? if anyone knows of a radio station that posts their playlists that includes Garth, i would LOVE a link!

also - all of garth's #1's.. is that on this website somewhere? or maybe billboard.com...

one more thing - i have to cite all of this info, so do you think i should just cite www.planetgarth.com as his official website, and where i got all this info?

even though my mass media professor seems to think i have all the time in the world to research this, i DO have other classes and other research and other exams to prepare for, so this help from all of y'all is MUCH appreciated. :D

~*meredith

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 01:06 PM
PlanetGarth is *NOT* an official website for Garth Brooks. It won't be proper to cite it as such. It's an UNOFFICIAL website. but you can cite it as where you got the info.. cause most of it.. I typed from my head.. I didn't search of it.. so credit PG is fine :)

And your welcome. :)

Call Radio.. if you say it's for a project maybe they will fax you a playlist.

Most Garth's #1's are listed on www.roughstock.com then click on the "Garth Museum link.. in the text of each album it tells what songs was number one.

Jason

meredithlee26
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Ahh, Jason you are my Garth guardian angel :)

roughstock.com is perfect, just what i needed!

now if i can only get the radio playlists, all will be well!

Thank you a thousand times.

~*Meredith

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
here's a playlist from OUTSIDE the USA.. LOL...

Wonder if it will do? It's got Garth & Trisha

http://www.twangtownusa.com/wwwboard/messages/1027.htm

Jason

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Also ProducerJ (here on PG) is in radio.. maybe she can email you a copy of one? :)

Send her a Private Message. She'll reply.. since she hasn't seen this post yet...

Jason

meredithlee26
09-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Jason - I just e-mailed my professor and asked about the playlist from Scotland. I have a feeling he'll accept it, but you never know. Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon. I private messaged ProducerJ just in case.

Once again, you are a savior. A million thanks. It's so wonderful to know that Garth fans can and will help each other out like this. :D If you ever need anything that I might be of assistance to, feel free to let me know!

~*Meredith*~

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 06:28 PM
You're welcome as always Meredith :)

You need to come back when ya get it back and tell us what you got on it ;)

Jason

meredithlee26
09-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Good news! The playlist from Scotland is acceptable. Yesss!

I'm almost done, I just have to write about the techniques used to sell merchandise, then find an artist that's like Garth at an independent music website and compare them, and then write about Allen Reynolds.

Then it's on to my Westen Civ essay - gotta love college when EVERYTHING's due on the same day! :(

I'm getting through it though, but I couldn't have done it without this help. I'm not even sure if this is going to be graded, my professor's funny about that, but if it is I'll definitely report back! :D

~*Meredith

Paula
09-24-2003, 08:46 PM
This is probably too late to help you, and since the Scotland playlist will be accepted, you don't need it, but my radio station lists the last 20 or so songs they play on their website at http://www.wklb.com/previous.php. Right now, there is a Garth song on the list (Rodeo) that was played about 45 minutes ago.

Good luck on your project!

Paula

wmcinnis
09-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Geez Jason, you're like a Garth encyclopedia.....I mean that in a good way;)

Good luck on the project Meredith:)
-Susan-

ProducerJ
09-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Good heavens, when did you get this assignment? LOL

I have playlists from XM 15 when Wrapped Up in You was on the chart I think..... or at least Squeeze Me In or Some Things Never Change. Let me know if you want me to send one.'

I don't know if you got all of the info you need on his singles and TV shows, but Monica has this AMAZING biography / career milestones thing she compiled on Garth that Daddy Sugarbritches has yet to put up, but she could probably find all of that if she's on tonight.

Good luck! It's a cool assignment.
J.

Vanessa
09-24-2003, 11:52 PM
couldn't you also use TIGB, TIGB too, and his concert specials, as well as anything else he di on tv, including his recent Inside Fame thingy.. as being on tv.. seems to me that'd be the right answer..

good luck :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

Monica Lockhart
09-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Don't know if I can fit this all here or not but I'll try:

Note: This was compiled by Karen Byrd, Garth's PR Manager. This list will not be completely up to date.

Garth’s Career Milestones

• Garth Brooks is the top-selling solo artist of the century according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). With sales over 95.5 million albums resulting in certification of over 105 million since 1989, Garth is the top artist of the decade and the fastest-selling album artist in RIAA history. He is also the only solo artist in RIAA history to have 4 albums top the 10 million mark.

• Garth’s U.S. album certifications by the RIAA are as follows:
o Garth Brooks (1989) 9 million
o No Fences (1990) 16 million
o Ropin’ The Wind (1991) 14 million
o The Chase (1992) 8 million
o Beyond The Season(1992) 3 million
o In Pieces (1993) 8 million
o The Hits (1994) 10 million
o The Garth Brooks Collection 3 million
o Fresh Horses (1995) 6 million
o Sevens (1997) 7 million
o Double Live (1998) 15 million
o In The Life of Chris Gaines (1999) 2 million
o Garth Brooks & The Magic of Christmas(1999) 1 million
o Scarecrow(2001) 3 million

TOTAL: 105 million

• Garth has received the RIAA’s Diamond Award, for albums selling over 10 million units in the U.S., for four titles: No Fences, Ropin’ The Wind, The Hits and Double Live.

• The original Garth Brooks album quietly shipped less than 20,000 records at the start. This 1989 release contains Garth’s first #1 song, ‘ If Tomorrow Never Comes” and Garth’s favorite song he has ever recorded, “ The Dance”. This self titled debut album peaked at #2. Its successor, No Fences was #1 at the time. This album is closing in on becoming Garth’s fifth album to sell 10 million copies.

• No Fences was Garth’s first number one album and his first album to sell more than 10 million copies. To date, No Fences is Garth’s biggest selling album.

• Ropin’ The Wind was the first album ever to debut at #1 on both the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart and the Billboard Country Album Chart. The Chase and In Pieces were the second and third albums in music history to do so. Sevens and Double Live also accomplished this feat.

• Capitol Records shipped 5 million copies of The Chase. At the time, it was the larges initial shipment in music history.

• In Pieces was recorded during Garth’s first headlining tour, which is why “ Ain’t Goin’ Down (Till The Sun Comes Up)” “Standing Outside The Fire” and “Callin’ Baton Rouge” reflect more of the live show rather than the studio feel of the first four albums.

• Fresh Horses had the biggest first week sales of any previous Garth album, nearly half a million copies. After the first week of its release eight of the ten songs on the album appeared on the country singles chart…another first in music history.

• Sevens was released in November 1997 and debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 and Country Albums chard with first week sales of 896,932. This was the top-selling debut week of any album released in 1997. Sevens topped the Top 200 chart for a total of 7 weeks and the Country chart for 13 weeks.

• Garth Brooks has taken 25 singles to the #1 position on the country charts.

• Brooks released a boxed set, The Limited Series ( so named because only 2 million units were produced) on May 5, 1998. The set contained his first 6 multi-platinum studio releases~Garth Brooks, No Fences, Ropin’ The Wind, The Chase, In Pieces and Fresh Horses~ as well as a new bonus track on each CD, for a total of 66 cuts and over three hours of music. Due to its success, Brooks is the first artist to debut at #1 on two charts with a boxed set. It topped the Billboard Country chart and was the first boxed set to reach #1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart since the inception of Soundscan in 1991. First week sales for the set were 372,410 units, a record for first week sales of any boxed set in the Soundscan era. ( The only other artist to debut at #1 with a boxed set was Bruce Springsteen, in 1986.) The collection has sold 2 million units, resulting in the RIAA certifying each album contained in The Limited Series for an additional 2 million copies.

• Garth Brooks Double Live is the best-selling live album in music history. When it was released on November 17, 1998 it set an all-time record for the Soundscan era by selling 1,085,373 copies in its first week. It was not only a record for first week sales, but for any one-week sales period by any artist. Featuring 25 cuts and over 100 minutes of music, including 3 new songs, Double Live stayed at the top of the Billboard Top 200 chart for 5 weeks.

• Garth placed three albums at the top of the Billboard Top 200 chart in 1998~ Sevens, The Limited Series and Double Live. He was the first artist to accomplish this feat since Elton John in 1975.

• Garth was #1 on the 1998 Los Angeles Times Calendar Ultimate Top 10 of Music, a tally that combines album sales and concert grosses.

• During Garth’s 1996-1998 concert tour, he played 350 shows in 100 cities, selling over 5.3 million tickets. In 1996, he sold over 1.8 million tickets, more than any other touring act that year. He sold out practically every show on the tour, playing multiple shows in each city and consistently breaking venue attendance records set by the likes of Elvis Presley, The Grateful Dead, Elton John and Neil Diamond. Amusement Business states it was easily the top country music tour of all time and likely the biggest arena tour ever.

• On August 7, 1997, Garth drew the largest crowd ever to attend a concert in New York’s Central Park. Garth Live From Central Park, airing on HBO, was the highest rated original program on HBO in 1997, as well as the most watched special on cable television in 1997, drawing 14.6 million television viewers. The special beat all broadcast competition in the time period as well as 2 of the 4 networks combined. It earned a 15.2 rating/25 share in HBO homes. Ratings continued to rise throughout the evening, peaking at a 19.1 rating/29 share in the last 15 minutes of the concert. ( Rating information based on Nielson) Garth Live From Central Park was nominated for six Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Music Program and Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special.

• Garth has received every accolade the recording industry can bestow on an artist, including: 2 Grammys, 16 American Music Awards, 11 Country Music Association Awards, 18 Academy of Country Music Awards, 5 World Music Awards, 12 peoples Choice Awards and 24 Billboard Music Awards (more than any other artist). He was named the Artist of the 90’s at the 1997 Blockbuster Entertainment Awards, received the Artist Achievement Award an the 1997 Billboard Music Awards and was named the Artist of the Decade at the Academy of Country Music Awards in 1999 and at the American Music Awards in 2000.

• Garth also received a nomination, with co-writer Jenny Yates, for Best Original Song at the 2001 Golden Globe Awards. The nomination was for “When You Come Back to Me Again” a song they wrote and Garth recorded for the New Line Cinemas feature Frequency. From the beginning of the project, it was determined that the song would not be included in a film soundtrack and would not be released as a single to promote the film. I was written and recorded solely to underscore the movie’s emotional impact. Later, it would make its way to Garth’s final studio album Scarecrow.

• Garth has sung on album by Pat Alger, Charlie Daniels, Helen Darling, Stephanie Davis, George Jones, A KISS tribute LP, Chris LeDoux, Martina McBride, Eddie Murphy, Victoria Shaw, Trisha Yearwood, and Asleep at the Wheel’s Tribute to Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

• Garth co-wrote “Walk Outside The Lines”( the title cut/first single from the 1993 Marshall Tucker Band album) and “ Like We Never Had A Broken Heart” ( a hit single for Trisha Yearwood). Additionally, Trisha recorded “Victim of The Game”. “What’cha Gonna Do with a Cowboy” was co-written by Garth and released as a duet single with Chris LeDoux. Chris also recorded Garth’s song, “Slow Down”. Crystal Gayle recorded “What He’s Doing Now”. Barry Manilow recorded “If Tomorrow Never Comes” and Tanya Tucker recorded “The Thunder Rolls”.

Monica Lockhart
09-25-2003, 01:03 AM
As compiled by Karen Byrd, PR Manager

Awards and Achievements

ACM – Entertainer of the Year
ACM – Top Male Vocalist
ACM – Album of the Year – No Fences
ACM – Single of the Year – Friends in Low Places
ACM – Video of the Year - The Dance

CMA - Horizon Award
CMA – Music Video of The Year

The Nashville Songwriter’s Association Award – Song of the Year

UK’s Country Music People Award – Top International- Single of the Year.

Mayor Jim Blankenship proclaims Garth Brooks Day in Yukon, OK on December 12th.

ACM - Entertainer of the Year
ACM - Top Male Vocalist
American Music Awards - Favorite Single
Billboard Top 200 Album Artist
Billboard Top Country Album Artist
Billboard Top Pop Album Artist
Billboard Top Country Singles Artist
CMA Entertainer of the Year
CMA Album of the Year
CMA Single of the Year
CMA Music Video of the Year
Juno Award Foreign Entertainer of the Year
NARM Best Selling Artist
NARM Best Selling Record
NARM Best Selling Recording by a Male Artist
NARM Best Selling Country Music Recording by a Male Artist
Best Selling Music Video- Garth Brooks
Radio and Records Performer of the Year
Radio and Records Male Vocalist of the Year
Radio and Records Best Single
Radio and Records Best Album
The Netherlands Grammy: Best Country Album
TNN/Music City News Video of the Year
TNN/Music City News Songwriting
United States Grammy: Best Male Country Vocal Performance

ACM Entertainer of the Year
ACM Favorite Male Artist
AMC Special Achievement Award
American Music Awards Favorite Male Artist
American Music Awards Favorite Album
American Music Awards Favorite Single
ASCAP Award – Songwriter of the Year
ASCAP Award – Voice of Music Award
Billboard Pop Album Artist
Billboard 200 Album
Billboard 200 Album Artist
Billboard Country Artist
Billboard Hot Country Singles Artist
Billboard Country Album
Billboard Country Album Artist
CMA Album of the Year
TNN/Music City News Entertainer of the Year

ASCAP Songwriter of the Year
ACM Video of the Year
Billboard Pop Artist
Billboard 200 Album Artist
Billboard Country Artist
Billboard Hot Country Singles Artist
CMA Vocal Event of the Year
People’s Choice Award- Favorite Male Vocalist

ASCAP Songwriter of the Year
ACM Jim Reeves Memorial Award
ACM Video of the Year
American Music Awards Favorite Male Vocalist
Billboard Country Male Artist
People’s Choice Award Favorite Male Vocalist

The Hollywood Walk of Fame- June 30, 1995
People’s Choice Award Favorite Male Vocalist

American Music Awards Favorite Album

ACM Favorite Male Country Artist
Billboard Special Achievement in Music Award
Garth Brooks Day- Proclaimed by Mayor Rudy Guilani, August 7, 1997
People’s Choice Award Favorite Male Country Vocalist

ACM Special Achievement Award
Billboard Male Album of the Year
Billboard Country Album of the Year
Billboard Country Singles Artist of the Year
Billboard Country Albums Artist of the Year
Billboard Male Albums Artist of the Year
Blockbuster Award Top Recording Artist of the Year
People’s Choice Award Favorite Male Artist

ACM Artist of the Decade
American Music Award Favorite Male Artist
American Music Award Favorite Album
ASCAP Founders Award
Blockbuster Award Artist of the Decade for 1990’s
People’s Choice Award: Favorite Male Vocalist

American Music Award Artist of the Decade
American Music Award Favorite Male Country Artist
American Music Award Favorite Country Album
Inducted into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame- June 23, 2000
Certified by RIAA- 100 Million in Sales- Top Selling Solo Artist

ASCAP Golden Note Award- Sept 11, 2001 (postponed)

ASCAP Golden Note Award – March 12, 2002
Songwriter’s Hall of Fame- Hitmaker Award
American Music Awards- Award of Merit
People’s Choice Awards- Favorite Male Vocalist

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Merideth...

Mechandise was both sold at concerts AND with Catalogs.

and there is a catalog website for Garth too... but the store is closed.

www.garthstore.com

If that helps some :)

Jason

allisonv7
09-25-2003, 01:28 PM
They had the store too for awhile for merchandise.

allison.

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 01:35 PM
They had the store too for awhile for merchandise.

allison.
Yep.. In Nashville.... least it lasted a few years...

meredithlee26
09-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey everyone! I just want to thank all of y'all who replied later yesterday and last night. I finished my project around 9 last night, and turned it in today and made a mini-presentation where I played Cd 1 of Double Live and talked about why I like Garth and why he's so popular and what his concerts are like, etc. I think it went well! Everyone was impressed by how much he's sold and everything, of course! ;)

I think I was the only one who found an answer to the question about earnings/worth. So that's good!

I was talking to some friends in the class and I mentioned I got a lot of help from one of Garth's message boards and she said she also posted on a message board about her artist and no one helped. :( That made me so thankful for all of y'all!

The one time I went to Nashville, in 2001, I searched for the Garth Store and asked so many people and finally got the news that it was closed. I was so freaking disappointed, it was like one of the major things I was looking forward to in Nashville! Does anyone know why it closed?

Once again, a trillion thanks to all of y'all who offered help! Y'all are wonderful and Garth would be so proud! I'll let everyone know when and if I get a grade back.

~*Meredith*~

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Awesome Meredith! :)

The Garth Store closed because Garth had moved on from the role of music to be a father. They was going to re-open the website for Scarecrow sales, but I guess desided against it.

But it closed well before 2001, I'm thinking in 1999 or so.

Congrats again!! :)

Jason
PS .. if I'm ever in SC ya owe me a dinner :p haha I'm just kidding!!!!

PJ
09-25-2003, 05:19 PM
The Garth Store closed because Garth had moved on from the role of music to be a father. They was going to re-open the website for Scarecrow sales, but I guess desided against it.

I was told all the Scarecrow merchandise sold out at the three Coast to Coast concerts so that may be why the Garth Store didn't open back up - there was nothing left to sell.

ProducerJ
09-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Well I know Jen and I attended a charity event a few months after Coast to Coast and Garth had donated a ton of shirts and hats, including a bunch of Scarecrow ones, that they sold for charity.

And the thing about t-shirts is... you can always make more. Did he not think we'd buy them? I mean really, if you've ever checked out the ridiculous prices people buy GB shirts for on Ebay, you know the demand is there. I'm guessing they just didn't want to deal with it... he'd moved on.

But that's just my guess.
J.

Paula
09-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Don't know if I can fit this all here or not but I'll try:

Note: This was compiled by Karen Byrd, Garth's PR Manager. This list will not be completely up to date.Those are quite the lists! Thanks Karen and Monica.

Paula

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Well I know Jen and I attended a charity event a few months after Coast to Coast and Garth had donated a ton of shirts and hats, including a bunch of Scarecrow ones, that they sold for charity.

And the thing about t-shirts is... you can always make more. Did he not think we'd buy them? I mean really, if you've ever checked out the ridiculous prices people buy GB shirts for on Ebay, you know the demand is there. I'm guessing they just didn't want to deal with it... he'd moved on.

But that's just my guess.
J.
exactly Joyce... they had TONS of left overs!
in many sizes... I too think they just didn't wanna mess with it.. I'm sure it's all in Garth's Barn.. somewhere with everything else he saves.. lol

Rooster
09-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Joyce - Some Things Never Change? Never heard of that one.

Monica - HOLY CRAP! And that list is not complete?!

Meredith - So, what's the answer to the question about earnings/worth?

Krystal

Chris Gaines
09-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Rooster read my 1st post. :)

Net worth is 500 Million.

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 01:39 PM
Some Things Never Change is the duet with Chris LeDoux that was on Chris's last album. It's my FAVORITE Garth duet ever. :) Don't know why Capitol didn't release it as a single, but we played it anyway.
J.

you can hear a clip here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063RVD/qid=1064594405/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-8568538-0288821?v=glance&s=music) that's entirely Garth singing... its a great song.

Chris Gaines
09-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Some Things Never Change is the duet with Chris LeDoux that was on Chris's last album. It's my FAVORITE Garth duet ever. :) Don't know why Capitol didn't release it as a single, but we played it anyway.
J.

[i]you can hear a clip here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063RVD/qid=1064594405/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-8568538-0288821?v=glance&s=music) that's entirely Garth singing... its a great song.
Just finxin ya link :)

Rooster
09-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Rooster read my 1st post. :)

Missed that... sorry. Thanks. ;)

Joyce, thanks... know the name of the album?

Krystal (who is now itching to leave work to go find this album)

Chris Gaines
09-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Album title is "AFTER THE STORM" by Chris LeDoux

funny since Garth had a song the year before on his album called "The Storm" too;)

Rooster
09-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks Jason. So... did Garth do this duet with Chris after he retired? I knew about the duet he did with Wade Kimes but never heard anything about this one.

Krystal

Cathy Welch
09-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Just curious, Jason, where that $500M net worth figure came from.

I've been to the Forbes site and checked their top 400 richest Americans listing back to 1996 and Garth's name does not appear on any of them (back in 1996 you could get on that list with a net worth of approximately $150M).

This figure seems rather inflated to me when you base it on approximate earnings annually over the past decade (CD sales, concerts, merchandise, etc).

Did you somehow calculate this number or is this based on some concrete financial figures?

Cathy

ProducerJ
09-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Hey Cathy, thanks for looking that up! I kept meaning to check out the Forbes list and hadn't managed to get there, so you saved me a trip. :)

Krystal, I know there was a better article at some point, but I can't find it right now. This is from Chris's website about STNC:

“Some Things Never Change,” is an appreciative nod to the hard work of ranching, thankful for the routines that stay constant in an ever-changing world. LeDoux duets with longtime friend Garth Brooks, who is also the songwriter. “I’ve had this song in a drawer for a long time, maybe seven or eight years. Every time I’d do an album, I’d take it out and listen to it, and always liked what it had to say. Plus when Garth came in and sang on it, that made it really special.”

After his surgery, LeDoux let it be known to his fan club members that Brooks had offered to donate a portion of his own liver for the transplant, and went through the necessary testing, but wasn’t a match. “I don’t know how to describe my reaction,” LeDoux says now. “Shock. Deep gratitude. Out of the blue he called up and said,’there’s no sense looking any further, I’m you’re guy.’ So what do you say to that? He said, ‘Let’s go do this. Send out for pizza and let’s get this done.’”

thanks to www.chrisledoux.com

J.

Chris Gaines
09-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Cathy cause YOUR not looking in the right PLACES ;)

Garth takes in 1/2 of all album sales... did you know that.

105 million sales x $10 each... 1.05 Billion / 2 (cause he gets half)
$500 Million (Just in CD Sales alone..)

now granted he made bad choices (we all have) and also add in Ticket sales.. (He gets the bulk of that)... then merchandise... then...then........ on and on........

You can easily see I'm right ;)

Chris Gaines
09-27-2003, 04:42 AM
then add in T4K.........then RedStrokes Entertainment...........
then...........then..........

shall.......i....go....on..????

ProducerJ
09-27-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't remember exactly when his deal with capitol was re-worked (prior to Sevens, maybe?) but I know his first deal certainly didn't give him that high of a percentage.

And since he pays OUT for TFK, I would think that detracts from his net worth, it certainly isn't bringing him IN money. Redstrokes doesn't seem to be doing much to help the bottom line either.

In '97 Forbes listed him on the Highest Paid Entertainers list as being worth $55 million. http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=00007

In '99 he was worth $54 million http://pw1.netcom.com/~speaker6/lists/power100.html

I'm really glad no one sits around and tries to figure out my net worth. I'd probably come out negative, LOL.

J.

redstrokes77
09-27-2003, 04:57 PM
Well I hope Jason hasn't told the IRS what Garth was supposed to be worth. ;) I didn't realise he was Garth's accountant.

deb

Paula
09-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Well I hope Jason hasn't told the IRS what Garth was supposed to be worth. ;) I didn't realise he was Garth's accountant.

debLOL, good one, deb.

Paula

Chris Gaines
09-28-2003, 04:03 AM
I don't remember exactly when his deal with capitol was re-worked (prior to Sevens, maybe?) but I know his first deal certainly didn't give him that high of a percentage.

And since he pays OUT for TFK, I would think that detracts from his net worth, it certainly isn't bringing him IN money. Redstrokes doesn't seem to be doing much to help the bottom line either.

In '97 Forbes listed him on the Highest Paid Entertainers list as being worth $55 million. http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=00007

In '99 he was worth $54 million http://pw1.netcom.com/~speaker6/lists/power100.html

I'm really glad no one sits around and tries to figure out my net worth. I'd probably come out negative, LOL.

J.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS JOYCE!!!!!!!!!!!

You all probably don't know why I'm laughing... I guess I should fill you all in.

Joyce was kind enough to post a couple links that PROVE ME right... but funny thing is, she wasn't trying to... she was trying to prove me WRONG.

They all you (deb, Paula, etc) just ran with Joyce as well, without even READING the links she provided.

Let me make this clearer to ya....

40 highest-paid entertainers and their estimated gross income for 1996-97

That's INNCOME for ONE CALANDER YEAR (not over life to that year.

Garth made, according to Forbes. $55 MILLION in 1996.

THEN in the next link.. she provided you all with his 1998 TOTAL income for that calander year according to Forbes, which was: $54 MILLION

So going by those two FORBES links, Garth made:

1996 - $55 Million Dollars
1998 - $54 Million Dollars
===================
Total = $109 MILLION DOLLARS

What I find funniest of all.. is that no one will say "Oops! Sorry Jason, You was correct."
Nahhhhhhhh Not on PlanetGarth!

So with that I'll say this.... straight from a great Canadian country singer.

Don't tell me the reason that you're calling
Is to see if I'm all right since you've been gone
'Cause I know you and I know why we're talking
You're wanting me to say I'm barely hanging on
Well, maybe that was true for a night or two
But now, I got better things to do

I could wash my car in the rain
Change my new guitar strings
Mow the yard just the same as I did yesterday
I don't need to waste my time crying over you
I got better things to do

Maybe when I don't have so much going
Or quite so many irons in the fire
I'll take the time to miss you like you're hoping
But now, I can't put forth the effort it requires
Well, I'd love to talk to you, but then, I'd miss Donahue
That's right, I got better things to do

I could wash my car in the rain
Change my new guitar strings
Mow the yard just the same as I did yesterday

Check the air in my tires
Straighten my stereo wires
Count the stars in the sky or just get on with my life

Song: Better Things To Do
Writers: Tom Shapiro/Terri Clark/Chris Water

See ya'll :)

Chris Gaines
09-28-2003, 06:04 AM
Quote from Garth in 1992 when he said he was thinking of retiring the 1st time.

"I got more money then my grandchildren's grandchildren can spend I'm not in this for money no more."

Per this quote... if he only had 55 million in all... in 1996... means in 1992 he wouldda only had about (give it was 7 years since 1989 when he started, and on average would only made 7.8 Million a year using that whole 55 million figure.)
23 Million Dollars.. I think his KIDS could spend that in a couple years... yet alone his Grandchildrens Grandchildren. ;)

(Someone reminded me of this quote... I thought it best to "re-point" it out to all you. Thanks! You know who you are.) :)

Good day all :)

redstrokes77
09-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Those figures were only for TWO years Jason. If he didn't make the list for the other 10 years or so you can't assume the average is 54 million. He sure didn't make that in the first 2 years and certainly not the last.

Also if you take into consideration that the "lowest" earner on the 96 list only earned $30 million then Garth didn't reach that amount the next year ot he'd have been on the list.

deb

Paula
09-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Uh...I beg your pardon, Jason, but I never said you were right or wrong. I only commented on what deb said about not realizing you were Garth's accountant.

That being said, just because a person had income of X dollars in any year doesn't mean that it accumulates every year. There are expenses and money paid out for a whole variety of purchases that are deducted from income.

Not to say that Garth isn't worth a half billion, but unless you have a concrete source for that figure, all you are doing is guessing. For all we know, he could be worth more than a half billion (although not quite a billion or he would have made it on Forbes list of people whose net worth is $1 billion).

Paula

redstrokes77
09-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Agreed Paula. I look at my meagre portfolio almost every day and trust me no two days are the same. One day I'm a princess, the next a pauper.

deb

Garth_FANtasizer
09-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Eyes - Billion $
Lips - Billion $
Thighs- Billion $
Butt - Several Billions $
Voice - Priceless!

The man is rich beyond words!

~Ann~

Paula
09-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Eyes - Billion $
Lips - Billion $
Thighs- Billion $
Butt - Several Billions $
Voice - Priceless!

The man is rich beyond words!

~Ann~How right you are, Ann! He's also richer beyond the dollars, and more importantly, we are richer from all that he has shared with us.

Paula

Wendi5000
09-28-2003, 08:17 PM
I thought Garth was on Liberty Records for a while? Yeah... that's what it says on the cover of "The Hits" ... was Liberty a part of Capital records? *confused*

Paula
09-28-2003, 08:30 PM
I think it was Wendi, but don't quote me on that. I believe they are at least in the same family, or they changed their name temporarily.

Paula

ProducerJ
09-29-2003, 01:10 AM
wow, what got into him? I'll respond when I get done laughing hysterically over Jason of all people claiming that he won't GET an apology. Pot, meet kettle!

At any rate, Capitol-Nashville was for a while renamed Liberty records, under Bowen I think.

Don't quote me on it either. I'm the kind of person who reads a Forbes list of the 400 wealthiest people in America, sees that Garth doesn't make the cut and the "poorest" person on there makes a mere $150 million, and then had the audacity to doubt a shipping clerk from Ohio who claims to know Garth is worth $500 million.

Then again, I must be kind of dumb, because I haven't figured out what part of Ohio is in the 'Nashville, TN area' either.
:rolleyes:

ProducerJ
09-29-2003, 01:18 AM
23 Million Dollars.. I think his KIDS could spend that in a couple years... yet alone his Grandchildrens Grandchildren. ;)

My kids wouldn't be spending 23 million dollars in a couple of years, I've raised them better.

Looking at Garth's lifestyle, I think he did too.

J.

Chris Gaines
09-29-2003, 01:44 PM
wow, what got into him? I'll respond when I get done laughing hysterically over Jason of all people claiming that he won't GET an apology. Pot, meet kettle!

At any rate, Capitol-Nashville was for a while renamed Liberty records, under Bowen I think.

Don't quote me on it either. I'm the kind of person who reads a Forbes list of the 400 wealthiest people in America, sees that Garth doesn't make the cut and the "poorest" person on there makes a mere $150 million, and then had the audacity to doubt a shipping clerk from Ohio who claims to know Garth is worth $500 million.

Then again, I must be kind of dumb, because I haven't figured out what part of Ohio is in the 'Nashville, TN area' either.
:rolleyes:
actually the 400 List was released this year.. and if you didn't make 1.4 BILLION you was not on the list ;)

Garth wasn't on the list cause he didn't have that much them..

remember 390 Million is lower then 400 Million... ;)
Just cause he wasn't on the list then.. does NOT mean he made WAY less.
Forethermore.. I never said I was in Ohio right now did I?

Thank you very much, Ms. I'm a Press lady but don't really read the press. ;)

ProducerJ
09-29-2003, 08:35 PM
actually the 400 List was released this year.. and if you didn't make 1.4 BILLION you was not on the list ;)

Actually, the bottom 5 on the Forbes 400 for 2003 came in at a pitiful $600 MILLION a piece. (And no, I don't read Forbes.)

396 Carsey, Marcy 600 million 58 Los Angeles , CA television
396 Chernick, Aubrey 600 million 54 Los Angeles , CA software
396 Gerstner, Louis V Jr 600 million 61 Greenwich , CT IBM
396 Haworth, Richard G 600 million 61 Holland , MI office furniture
396 Werner, Tom 600 million 53 Los Angeles , CA television

I just checked my business cards, and they say "Executive Producer." So my correct title would be Ms. I'm a Programming Lady.

Thank you.

Gß-fÄÑ
09-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Something you folks are forgetting. That stack of money that Garth had or was worth was chopped in half I'm sure when he and Sandy divorced. She worked as hard as he did, and I'm sure he didn't put up a fight about that. So whatever amount...............1/2 it....... :)
Tricia

ProducerJ
09-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Ahhhhh.....Good point Tricia!

:)

GBsMydance
09-30-2003, 12:57 AM
J.

you can hear a clip here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063RVD/qid=1064594405/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-8568538-0288821?v=glance&s=music) that's entirely Garth singing... its a great song.

J,
Yes, that is one of the best duets ever!!!!!.... I love that song, the lyrics are great and the melody is beautiful... and I love when he says Buddy...
Gotta run and go put that on.... Need to hear it again...
Payem
"I'll leave my light on for you, if you will leave your light on for me"

Rooster
09-30-2003, 10:17 AM
As for the duet, Some Things Never Change, I plan to get this album very soon. Thanks for providing the link, Joyce.

Jason - Garth gets half of all album sales? Really? That is shocking. Where did you read that?

Ann - I was looking on the butt-worth list, and Garth's butt is worth WAY more than just several billion! ;)

Krystal

meredithlee26
10-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Wow, i totally did not mean to start an argument about Garth's net worth. Y'all should calm down, no one knows exactly how much the man is worth and my professor was stupid for asking it. The good news is though that he accepted Jason's estimate of $500 million. I think he even visited the forums to check out my sources ;) He didn't grade the project, but I didn't have to redo it or anything so all in all i am very thankful to everyone who helped me out, especially Jason. :D

Sorry it took me so long to update y'all on the project, my life is pretty crazy with trying to balance academics and a social life! Talk to y'all soon!

~*Meredith*~

Snow
10-02-2003, 11:16 PM
EEK.... I can't imagine a professor accepting a poster on a messageboard as a reliable source anyway. *lol*

The other published info on the main website would be acceptable though.

Are you at the University of Charleston?

I was heading over to Charleston for the SC2 conference coming up but decided to step aside and let someone else go this time. I'd rather go to the National Science Teacher Association Conference in Atlanta this spring. I love Charleston but I'd rather go down for pleasure on the weekend or something.

It's just nice to finally have a fellow South Carolinian posting!

meredithlee26
10-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi! Yes I am at the College of Charleston. I'm originally from Columbia though, where are you? Everyone loves Charleston, you should come down soon. The weather is great in the afternoons but freeeezing in the mornings when I have to walk 6 blocks to class!

Did you go to any Garth shows in SC in the past? I went to 3 at the Carolina Coliseum, one at the North Charleston Coliseum, and 2 in Charlotte. Those were the good ole' days, hahaha. I miss him!! :(

~*Meredith*~

Snow
10-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi again Meredith! I live near Florence. I went to college at USC in Columbia so I know it well. We may have to get together sometime.

I've always been jealous that some of the other PG'ers had people living at least in the same area and were able to visit, but no one here in SC for me!

No.......... darn it....... I didn't get to any of the SC shows because for all except one of them I wasn't living in SC at the time. I lived in Alaska for 6 years and that was most of when he was touring. When we finally did move back, I really wanted to go to the Charlotte shows but I was 8.555555 months preggers and my hubby wouldn't hear of me getting in the middle of it all. DRATS. He was right though.... I'd have been so excited Garth might of had to have delivered the baby. *lol*

Enjoy your time at College of Charleston. It's a fine school and a great city for a college gal. Watch out for those Citadel men! ;)

I see the 26 in your handle... are you 26? Are you an undergrad or in graduate school? Major?

Tell us about yourself. We here at PG are very happy to have you as a new family member. What took you so long to get here?! *Lol*