PDA

View Full Version : The Dixie Chicks: 'Goodbye Nashville, Hello Rock-n-Roll'

Chris Gaines
09-22-2003, 03:10 PM
The Dixie Chicks say they don't want to be a country music band any more.

Violinist Martie Maguire told Spiegel magazine: "We don't feel part of the country scene any longer, it can't be our home any more."

She said she was disappointed other country singers didn't back up the Dixie Chicks in their criticism of George W Bush's politics on Iraq.

"A few weeks ago, Merle Haggard said a couple of nice words about us, but that was it," Maguire complained.

"The support we got came from others, like Bruce Springsteen."

Going home empty-handed from the Country Awards ceremony also made them decide to break with the scene, Maguire said.

"Instead, we won three Grammys against much stronger competition.

"So we now consider ourselves part of the big Rock 'n' Roll family."

article (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_821707.html?menu=)

beckysue59
09-22-2003, 03:31 PM
It will be interesting to see how open Rock and Roll is to banjo and fiddle music. LOL

Apparently pushing their political agenda is more important to them than their love of country music.

Chris Gaines
09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
I dunno I would be ticked too.. if I win Grammy's for an album.. and Country Music won't even recignize it, cause of words ONE of the members of the group said well over 6 months or more ago.

I can see their frustrations, but I dunno how this transition will work in their favor.. cause Retailers will still stick em in the Country racks. lol

And now, since they doing this.. they won't get Country Radio support even from the stations that stuck it out... if they do.. that would be a real shocker.

Cheryl
09-22-2003, 03:56 PM
:rolleyes: alrighty then.
Wow....those comments, imho, sound like something that would come from a spoiled little child. But, whatever. Personally, I'm not surprised, since they've hinted in the past that they were headed in that direction. Seems like blaming "lack of support" is somewhat of a convienent excuse. It's too bad, really....I really do like their music. Too bad they couldn't take the heat.

Chris Gaines
09-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Funny thing is......................

They.. do this when they are OUT of the USA as well.. quinkie-dinkie?

I doubt it ...

Maybe next news we hear from them is they move from Texas to Switzerland.. so they can be Shania's neighbors.

Jason

GriggsGarthGirl
09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Can't say I blame them one bit. It's really not that big of a deal at all, since they said their next album would be more rock/pop way before the 15 word incident. The way country music treated them was shameful and we deserve to lose them. It is our loss. Might not be rock and roll's gain, but it's definitely our loss.

GBsgirl
09-22-2003, 05:03 PM
As the article at CountryNation.com said :

"Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!!!!"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea

Chris Gaines
09-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Nah I think the Chicks loose in the long run.

They say something like that.. now they won't ever get Country radio to play them ever again.

That's a market they should have kept. ;)

ProducerJ
09-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Well so much for it not being about the awards. :rolleyes:

A few hundred people vote on things like the ACM's, CMA's, and Grammy's. Even when country radio was yanking their music off the air, the FANS were buying their music and Home was kicking butt on the charts.

This new imprint of theirs on Sony wasn't based out of Nashville anyway, so I think it's been in the works for a while, but they sure are acting like spoiled brats for handling it this way.

Look, already it's going to their heads. Martie's a "violinist" not a "fiddler." LOL

J.

TrishaNGarthFan
09-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Halleluyah for this! Rock & Roll can have them. I for one sure won't miss them.

Sue

The Dixie Chicks say they don't want to be a country music band any more.

Violinist Martie Maguire told Spiegel magazine: "We don't feel part of the country scene any longer, it can't be our home any more."

She said she was disappointed other country singers didn't back up the Dixie Chicks in their criticism of George W Bush's politics on Iraq.

"A few weeks ago, Merle Haggard said a couple of nice words about us, but that was it," Maguire complained.

"The support we got came from others, like Bruce Springsteen."

Going home empty-handed from the Country Awards ceremony also made them decide to break with the scene, Maguire said.

"Instead, we won three Grammys against much stronger competition.

"So we now consider ourselves part of the big Rock 'n' Roll family."

article (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_821707.html?menu=)

Chris Gaines
09-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Boy they sure love to just Talk dont they?

The Dixie Chicks have voiced another political opinion--this time, on the California race for governor. And let's just say they're not big fans of Republican candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger.

While overseas on their Top Of The World tour, Emily Robison told German newspaper Abendzeitung that the movie star does not have her support. She stated, "He is a great film star, but I find his idea to run for governor absolutely insane. America should be governed by people who have a clue. I hope he doesn't win."

This comment comes on the heels of the hotly contested anti-Bush statement lead singer Natalie Maines made to a crowd in London back in March: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." The Dixie Chicks are still reeling from the effects of that statement, as U.S. radio airplay and record sales have dropped significantly.
(from Yahoo: News.)

ProducerJ
09-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Quite honestly, I'm not sure that I, as a resident of the state of Tennessee, have a right to say who I hope does or doesn't win. I don't have to live with the decisions he makes. How do they know what he does and doesn't have a clue on?

And WHY do these girls not ever bother to talk U.S. politics while they're here at home? You know every news channel, magazine, and radio show in the country has invited them over.

J.

beckysue59
09-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Quite honestly, I'm not sure that I, as a resident of the state of Tennessee, have a right to say who I hope does or doesn't win. I don't have to live with the decisions he makes. How do they know what he does and doesn't have a clue on?

And WHY do these girls not ever bother to talk U.S. politics while they're here at home? You know every news channel, magazine, and radio show in the country has invited them over.

J.

Took the words right out of my mouth:) I wonder if they even have a clue what issues are important to California voters?

Chris Gaines
09-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth:) I wonder if they even have a clue what issues are important to California voters?
I didn't know ya lived in Tennessee too! hehe :)

Just kidding :)

kristen166
09-22-2003, 10:28 PM
I didnt like them anyway so for me it is good they are leaving, even better would be if they moved to Africa or some where far away. :)

Kristen

bluestocket
09-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Well, good-bye Country. Shania and Faith go Pop, Garth retired and the Chicks taking a break...who's left? Super-patriot Toby Keith...LMAO. Country's dead...but Nashville hasn't realized it yet....AMEN.
*blue*

Chris Gaines
09-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Chicks ain't taking a break.. they are leaving.. different story there.. lol

turch
09-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Gee I had no idea that the only country arists were faith, shania, toby & the chicks.

Who are Lonestar, Sara Evans, Terri Clarke, Allan Jackson, Joe Nicols, Triahs Yearwood, Diamond Rio, Martina McBride........................................... .................................................. ............................ & the list goes on. I think that these artists might be able to carry country music on for a bit longer.

Gwen

bluestocket
09-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Jason, they DO have a break after the tour!!!! They are thinking about more kids and producing a new album!

I knew that stuff before you did in the States as they gave 2 very honest interviews on German newspapers before they were on Spiegel magazine, which is also a German one ;)

*blue*

Carol Ann
09-23-2003, 05:26 PM
The thing that makes me scratch my head about the Chicks comment about "being disappointed that they didn't get the support they wanted from other country artists" is that, just as the Chicks have the right to express their opinion, other's have the right not to. This sounds like a convenient excuse for them to make the jump from Country to whatever. I've always liked the Chicks but more and more over the past year, every time they've opened their mouths something stupid has come out and it's made me loose respect for them. Even though I still like a lot of their songs, I'm not as interested in them as I once might have been. Also, it seems to me there were a few country artists who did speak out and support them so I don't understand their comments at all. If we look hard enough, we can justify anything we do.

Carol

Chris Gaines
09-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Just for Carol Ann... more Mouth Openning...

Here's another article from the Tennessean:

Will the Chicks leave country's radio format?
The Dixie Chicks told a respected German news magazine that they're disappointed with the country music format.

How disappointed? Chick Martie Maguire tells Der Spiegel (The Mirror) that the Chicks want to quit country.

Here are some quotes as translated by Tennessean arts writer and former international multilingual playboy Alan Bostick from Web site www.Spiegel.de.

''Yes, I think we feel no longer a part of the country music scene. That can no longer be our home,'' Martie said, according to Alan, a C-minus German student at university.

Martie says the group is smarting in part because of the recent ACM awards and CMA award nominations.

''We had in the United States this year the most successful tour in country music, the best selling album, as well. The song Travelin' Soldier was at the top of the Billboard charts. Nevertheless, for the next country music awards, we were only nominated (for CMAs) in two categories. We did not receive any awards (at ACMs) and during the ceremony, we were booed,'' Martie said.
''That says everything.''

Martie says they see themselves much more as part of the rock scene.

So what does that really mean? Does that mean the Chicks will no longer be on country radio?

Neither Sony Music Nashville, the Chicks' country home, nor the Chicks' local publicists had anything to say about the Der Spiegel article.

Local country radio programmers said, despite the Chicks' various controversies, they'd be sorry to see the Chicks leave the format.

Lee Logan, new program director at WSM-FM (95.5), said: ''We have a limited number of A-plus acts. We need all of them we can get.''

Dave Kelly, WKDF program director said: ''They're a very talented act. But if they go away, it was their choice, not ours.''

http://tennessean.com/celebrities/

LOL

redstrokes77
09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
I can see why the Chicks are disappointed that other country artists didn't support them. Country music has always considered itself as a family. Yet everyone seems to be more interesested in saving their careers by not stirring the water. After the backlash they got every was scared to speak up. Real heroes.

deb

allisonv7
09-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Well that's the best news I've heard all week!

allison.

redstrokes77
09-23-2003, 07:36 PM
I TRULY hope that NONE of you have the same sort of thing happen to you because of your beliefs. You are all condemning the MUSIC because of the singers views. Remember when people left Garth because of his view on gays? I thought people were bigger than that in this day and age, but I guess not.

deb

wmcinnis
09-23-2003, 08:43 PM
I heard this on the radio this morning while getting ready for work and I have to agree with the DJ when she said, "What about the FANS??"
Sure some die-hard fans will follow them in whichever genre they choose to follow, but some that are strictly Country Music Fans will drop them and those are the fans that brought them to where they are today!
It's kinda like when Garth did the Chris Gaines album, we supported him but alot of people didn't.....I know it was a little different circumstance but you know what I'm getting at.
-Susan-

TrishaNGarthFan
09-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Well cry me a river! Geez! I've never seen such poor losers in my life. I can only laugh at them....I think someone needs to let them in on a little secret the rest of us already know. And that is, life isn't fair, so get over it and get on with things. Its seems like they're taking their toys and going home just because they didn't get their own way. And that's fine with me, but they have so many country fans they are letting down. Garth and Trisha have both been snubbed at these awards but do you see them whining about it?

Just goes to show you what the Chicks are really made of. You don't see Toby or Terrie Clark, or any of the others jumping ship because they didn't win or get their own way.

I say good riddance to the chicks.

>>>>>>''We had in the United States this year the most successful tour in country music, the best selling album, as well. The song Travelin' Soldier was at the top of the Billboard charts. Nevertheless, for the next country music awards, we were only nominated (for CMAs) in two categories. We did not receive any awards (at ACMs) and during the ceremony, we were booed,'' Martie said.
''That says everything.''

ProducerJ
09-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Notice how conveniently they left out the little FUTK shirt.

AND.... I know Vince said something nice about the Chicks on stage, on national television.... something about forgiveness. Reba said something supportive too, backstage.

A LOT of acts go home empty handed from those shows... actually they didnt' go home empty handed because they didn't even show up... but I digress....

If it's all about the awards for them, I really hope they go elsewhere, because country music FANS deserve better.

I think one of the reasons that it's so disappointing to me is that Home was supposedly all about the music. They did it for them, maybe wouldn't have ever gotten to put it out, Lloyd produced it back home in Texas. Where did they get so turned around?
J.

beckysue59
09-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Where did they get so turned around?
J.

I think as their popularity grew, so did their egos. And the whole controversy just made them feel more important. It stopped being about the music.

They've become legends in their own minds.;)

turch
09-24-2003, 01:30 AM
You are so right Becky Sue

Gwen

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 02:11 AM
I learned TWO things in Business.

1) You never ever talk about RELIGION to your customers (or in their case FANS) because you will lose the majority if you do.

2) You never ever talk about POLITICS to your customers (or in their case FANS) because you will lose the majority if you do.

They was talking to a crowd in London (their business field when Natalie bursted out with her Political statements.

They was talking to a newspaper, their business field, when Emily bursted out about Arnold.

That is how you can lose fans (or business callegues) fast.

bluestocket
09-24-2003, 07:25 AM
I guess what Martie wanted to express about being disappointed other Country Artists didn't support them is just that those artists MIGHT have been thinking the same way as the Chicks but didn't open their mouth 'coz of being afraid what's going to happen.
*blue*

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Nah, some are just freedom of speech avocates.. but know that you shouldn't talk about politics to your fans. As that's a fast way for them to leave you.. and that's just what happened.

Seems a CHICK is a CHICK and they won't learn.

redstrokes77
09-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Seems to me Bruce Springsteen for one doesn't have a problem with losing fans AND bereating the government. Of course, they are a different class of fan, right?

deb

majmom
09-24-2003, 01:34 PM
"We did not receive any awards (at ACMs) and during the ceremony, we were booed,'' Martie said."

Well, duh - Im sure it had nothing to do with the vile insinuation on Natalie's t-shirt - which she had no trouble displaying on national television? How many kids asked their mommies, "What's FUTK stand for???"

Lord knows I'm not known for holding my tongue, but I just can't even begin to comment on this and expect to ever be able to post here again!!!

Kerry

Lowell Miller
09-24-2003, 03:37 PM
I love the chicks...they are the closest thing to Garth's style and hell yea attitude out there..... Stars say crazy crap all the time.... No big deal to me. You should take the art they give you and leave it at that... The Chicks are getting a raw deal here... It's just the "in" thing to bash them. Hey, if you never liked them ... cool. But if you did like them and now you don't ... to me that's silly. But that's just me and you have a right to feel however you want....but it's silly. :p

turch
09-24-2003, 04:20 PM
I don't think they are getting a raw deal AT ALL. They have brought most of this on themselves. You would think after all that happened after the Bush comment & how the fans & country music reacted, they would maybe think before opening their mouths. But they haven't, they seem to think that because they are such big stars they can say & do whatever they want & it should be okay.

How many other stars out there have deserved awards & have never gotten them? Yet they are still there playing their songs, not pouting & taking their toys home because they didn't get their way.

Grow up chicks, you wanna have freedom of speech, well so do the rest of us. So go to rock & roll, enjoy it there.

But what happens of you don't get any awards next year or the year after, where are you going to go then?

Well that was my 5 minutes worth of freedom of speech.

Gwen

redstrokes77
09-24-2003, 04:50 PM
If there is such a thing as freedom of speech then people should stand up and cheer when someone has the guts to make a stand. Natalie disn't kill anyone, she didn't steal anything and she didn't eat a kitten. She spoke less then ten words. And she was raked over the coals.

Is freedom of speech only okay when it;'s what we want to hear?

deb

kristen166
09-24-2003, 04:56 PM
What about the people who didnt agree with her freedoms of speech, why are they not allowed to voice their opinions in disagreement with Natalie? Why are they the bad guys when all they are doing is tthe same as Natalie and voicing the opinions. Natalie isn't the only one with that right. All americans have it, and with that comes multiple opinions. If you use your freedom of speech be prepared for others to use theirs, thats all I can say.:)

Kristen

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 05:29 PM
If there is such a thing as freedom of speech then people should stand up and cheer when someone has the guts to make a stand. Natalie disn't kill anyone, she didn't steal anything and she didn't eat a kitten. She spoke less then ten words. And she was raked over the coals.

Is freedom of speech only okay when it;'s what we want to hear?

deb
I'll say it here for ya too Deb ;)

No one was "BANNED" so you know deb...

It's also FREEDOM of SELECTION the radio stations have.. they have the FREEDOM to pick and choose who THEY WANT TO PLAY when THEY want to play it. ;)

Companies OWN the radio stations.. they have the freedom to play or not play anyone in their liking.

Fans DO have a voice in that is played. And MANY MORE are saying "Down with the chicks!" then, complaining that radio 'took them off the airwaves.'

If more than 50% agree with Radio, then you know something was wrong. ;)

redstrokes77
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Wrong Jason!

The Chicks did NOT pull their music from radio it was the other way around. And if you believe that it's the fans who decide which songs stations play I have a bridge to sell you.

It was "punishment" for the speech Natalie made pure and simply. Petty , underhanded.

deb

Lowell Miller
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
"Natalie disn't kill anyone, she didn't steal anything and she didn't eat a kitten"

That's funny ... Hey the chicks can worship a big green rock for all I care ... if they have a good song I'll listen ... I'm got more important things to worry about then what Natalie says... "And I say this with love" :D

GBsgirl
09-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Natalie and the other Chicks have a right to say whatever they want, but I have the RIGHT to disagree with them and give my Dixie Chick CD's to my daughter.

If you can't deal with any flack that might come from an opinion you voice..... then keep your opinions to yourself.

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea

Chris Gaines
09-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Wrong Jason!

The Chicks did NOT pull their music from radio it was the other way around. And if you believe that it's the fans who decide which songs stations play I have a bridge to sell you.

It was "punishment" for the speech Natalie made pure and simply. Petty , underhanded.

deb
I never said the CHICKs pulled the music... read what I said again..

I said RADIO is a COMPANY and as SUCH they have the RIGHT to play WHATEVER they choose. And FANS of the STATIONS are AGREEING with what Radio has done. ;)

beckysue59
09-24-2003, 08:44 PM
I think the Chicks are very talented. I USED to be a fan. It's not their political stance that annoys me, it's their attitude. Their egos just keep getting bigger and bigger, and their attitude gets worse and worse. THAT's why I no longer care to listen to them. ( And just for the record, I don't think Toby Keith's attitude is a whole lot better.)

They could all take a lesson in humility from Garth.

musicfan43
09-24-2003, 10:11 PM
I certainly believe that Natalie had the right to say what she said, and people certainly have the right to disagree with her. But to me, not playing their songs on the radio and not buying their CDs (if you like their music) simply because of what they said is....kind of close-minded, even though it is certainly your right. As Americans, we should be able to respect differences of opinion and not bring it down to such a personal level. I think it debases freedom of speech when we use it as justifcation to hurl silly names at each other. Of course, the Chicks reacted very immaturely, from the beginning, they should've just said "This is our opinion, period" and not made it into some kind of feud with country music. I think people would have respected them a little for that at least. But they probably liked the publicity. I think everyone could have acted with a little more respect for each other in this situation.

Kayla

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Kayla,

But you also should be able to "respect" the stations and the other fans.. that have the RIGHT not to play or to buy their CDs.

If you can't take the heat.. get outta the kitchen... and that's exactly what they are doing.

redstrokes77
09-25-2003, 08:48 AM
You didn't see the CD retailers yanking their CDs from their stores, you didn't see the arenas refuse to let them play there.

The country music radio stations played right into the hands of those you say country music fans are closed minded and rednecks. I don't recall R Kelly's music being yanked when he was charged with statatory rape. I don't recall P. Didddy (or whatever he calls himself now) getting his music yanked when he had problems with breaking the law.

I don't care if you, as an individual get rid of the CDs or tix. That is your right. But to censor the music by not playing them is wrong.

deb

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 09:19 AM
it wasn't censorship... it was the right to choose.

If you own a radio station you have the right to choose what is played on the station just liek the next guy is.

redstrokes77
09-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Sure Jason when I own a radio station I will foist MY morals on everyone else. Censorship is censorship. Whether you play Garth's TTR video or not you are pushing your morals on others who won't get a chance to make up their own minds on whether or not the video was too violent. What right does Nashville have to tell me what is good or bad?

deb

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 10:21 AM
I guess if you work for PEPSI it's okay if you drink a COKE ;)

right?

Even though... you can be fired from PEPSI for doing so ;)

bluestocket
09-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Well, I don't mind if fans don't listen to their music 'coz they are pissed off what they said. That's not the deal, as everyone said before: it's your personal right tho choose. NO DOUBT.

But Jason, if you are really believing radio stations really give a f*ck or care about their LISTENERS you are really naive! Your radio stations over there, especially the country stations are cyborg's of politics and politicans...wake up! Get the call! Wake up! Don't support that machinery!

*blue*

musicfan43
09-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Kayla,

But you also should be able to "respect" the stations and the other fans.. that have the RIGHT not to play or to buy their CDs.

If you can't take the heat.. get outta the kitchen... and that's exactly what they are doing.

I *do* "respect" that, and I said that. The fans obviously have the right to not buy the music for whatever reason they choose...they can not buy the CDs because they don't like Natalie's hair if they want. And the stations have the right to play what they think their listeners want to hear...I never said they didn't. I just think it's sad and a litle narrow-minded that people don't want to hear their music just because they hold an opposing opinion. It's not even constructive debate, it's just silly "if you don't agree with me then I don't like you" stuff. We are such ardent supporters of freedom of speech, but whenever someone exercises theirs, we flame them. (Though, of course it is your right to flame them if you choose :))

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
I *do* "respect" that, and I said that. The fans obviously have the right to not buy the music for whatever reason they choose...they can not buy the CDs because they don't like Natalie's hair if they want. And the stations have the right to play what they think their listeners want to hear...I never said they didn't. I just think it's sad and a litle narrow-minded that people don't want to hear their music just because they hold an opposing opinion. It's not even constructive debate, it's just silly "if you don't agree with me then I don't like you" stuff. We are such ardent supporters of freedom of speech, but whenever someone exercises theirs, we flame them. (Though, of course it is your right to flame them if you choose :))

Hey.. after all we are also exercising our right to free speech to by flaming them for exercising theirs :D

LOL!

redstrokes77
09-25-2003, 12:55 PM
But they never flamed the FANS!!

deb

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Yes they did.. read the 1st post of this thread again ;)

Darrell
09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
I think this speaks for itself. Typical Natalie Maines for ya......

Letter from Natalie

9/24/2003

Dear Reader:

I am taking the time out of my very busy rock and roll life to write you this
letter. As I am sure you can understand, being me is a full time job. I can't
just drop everything every three days because someone needs a quote or
statement about a quote or statement we may or may not have said. It's just draining
me of time and effort I need to put toward other things. For one, I as a
taxpayer have to get busy earning money to help pay off the latest $87 billion
dollar addition to the national debt! Also, I have a huge list of phone calls to
return.

I'll list a few just so you get the idea.

Message 1:

Saddam Hussein called and wants to know where his weapons of mass destruction
are. Listen Saddam, I already told you, I don't know. You’re going to have to
call the White House on that one.

Message 2:

Country radio called and wants to know if it's true that you're leaving
country music? This one must be a prank call. I mean, how can you leave a party now
when the hosts had shown you to the door six months ago.

Message 3:

Sheryl Crow and Lenny Kravitz called to see if you could come to their party
Friday night. Oh that one’s easy. I can't, I'm already going to Ashton and
Demi's party.

Message 4:

G. Gordon Liddy, Rush Limbaugh, and Don Imus all called again to ask about
the plane crash. Listen guys this is really getting old. I'm sorry, but no we
did not die in a plane crash. But look on the bright side…we fly all the time.

Message 5:

Arnold Schwarzenegger called to see if we wanted to “verk out” with him at
“zee gym” next week. Hmmm that's both weird and scary. He must not have heard
what Emily "said" about him or know that we're married!

See, can you understand now why I don't have time to constantly defend my
partners and myself? Oh speaking of partners, Martie did want me to clear up two
things that she absolutely did not say in any shape, form or fashion. She
wants it to be known that she never complained about not winning any ACM awards. I
told her nobody who has ever seen what an ACM award looks like is going to
believe she said any such thing. But nevertheless she wanted to clear that up.
The second thing was that she never said we were a part of the "rock and roll
family" now. I once again told her I didn't think it was necessary to clear
that up. I mean, as of yet, I wasn't aware we had made a rock album. As a matter
of fact, I think I recall our last album being bluegrass. So there you have
it. Do with it what you will.

You know, a good thing that has come out of all this is having a good support
system from the music industry to call on for advice. Most recently I called
up Ozzy to ask him what I should do about all of this, and do you know what he
told me? Oh hang on just a second, you won't believe this…P. Didddy and
Eminem just instant messaged me at the exact same time. I didn't even know that was
possible. Let me just IM them back that I will have to talk to them later.
O.K. sorry about that. Now where was I? Oh right Ozzy. Do you know what he told
me to do? Well, I don't really know either. I couldn't really understand him.
But he did say something at the end that was very profound. He said "f*** it."
I like that advice. I think I'll do just that. So from here on out when you
call for a statement, explanation, apology, etc., we are just going to have to
refer you to this letter. Oh, and by the way, since you’re here on our website
you might as well go buy a T-shirt. We are having a plane crash sale.
Everything is double.

Oh, I have to go. Keith and Mick are in the limo waiting for me. The five of
us have started getting together every Tuesday night. I must tell you, Keith
is really getting into his fiddle lessons with Martie. He can already play
“Faded Love”. And Mick, well he gets faster at “Dueling Banjos” with Emily every
week. I think they are really going to blow everyone away at the rock and roll
family reunion next week. But, it's not just about them learning from us.
Nope, they help me every week think up new controversial "rock and roll" things
to say. Thanks guys…you’re the greatest!

Love, Natalie

PS. I will also be posting this in German so if you don't like what I really
said you can just translate it into what suits your agenda.

from http://dixiechicks.launch.yahoo.com/

Darrell
09-25-2003, 02:17 PM
from theweeklystandard.com

Trading Places
The Dixie Chicks have decided that they aren't a country music group any more. What are they thinking?
by Jonathan V. Last
09/24/2003 12:00:00 AM

Jonathan V. Last, online editor

"I think [the Dixie Chicks] will go down as one of the biggest acts in the format, and by doing so--by staying true to their country roots and to country music--they will be a turning point for the industry. They're showing what can work and be country and have its own identity and not have to cross over to another format to sell records."

--Sony Music Nashville's Allen Butler, December 18, 1999

THE DIXIE CHICKS, you may have heard, have decided that they are no longer a country music band. Member Martie Maguire told the German magazine Der Spiegel, "We don't feel part of the country scene any longer, it can't be our home any more.. . . . So we now consider ourselves part of the big Rock 'n' Roll family."

Forget for a moment that this is like Ian McKellen announcing he's no longer a classically trained actor and that he now considers himself part of the Hollywood action-hero fraternity.

There are three possible explanations for this latest fit of Dixie Pique. None of them are particularly flattering.

The first, and kindest, is that they're simply sore losers. In the Spiegel interview Maguire says, "We had in the United States this year the most successful tour in country music, the best selling album, as well. The song 'Travelin' Soldier' was at the top of the Billboard charts. Nevertheless, for the next country music awards, we were only nominated (for the CMAs) in two categories. We did not receive any awards (at ACMs) and during the ceremony, we were booed. That says everything."

The second is that this is the endgame in a calculated marketing shift. After complaining about George W. Bush last March, the Dixie Chicks lost a sizable chunk--though by no means all--of their audience; many country radio stations took them off their play lists. Alan Sledge of Clear Channel called the blowup "a classic example of maybe the Dixie Chicks not knowing their constituency." In Entertainment Weekly, Chris Willman speculated that "They may need all the rockers they can get. The simple truth is that the Chicks' careers as country-radio hitmakers may be over." And in an interview with Willman, the band foreshadowed the shift, saying that from now on they "probably won't be showing up" at country awards shows.

THE THIRD EXPLANATION is that the Dixie Chicks have decided they don't like the people who buy their records. A scan of their press clippings suggests that when they blame the country music "industry" for driving them out of the format, they really mean country music "listeners." After all, radio stations have quietly worked their singles back into the rotation and while Maguire complains that the group hasn't received enough support from other country artists, Merle Haggard, Vince Gill, and Faith Hill have stood up for them.
It would be a shame if the Dixie Chicks decided that instead of being Loretta Lynn, they'd rather be Michael Moore.

Click here (http://www.theweeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/156lsrog.asp) for the rest of the article.

ProducerJ
09-25-2003, 08:06 PM
:applause:

Chris Gaines
09-25-2003, 09:47 PM
It would be a shame if the Dixie Chicks decided that instead of being Loretta Lynn, they'd rather be Michael Moore.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an ending!!!

bluestocket
09-26-2003, 08:11 AM
==> For one, I as a taxpayer have to get busy earning money to help pay off the latest $87 billion dollar addition to the national debt! Also, I have a huge list of phone calls to return. <==

Well, that is SOOOOOOO true ;)

I took the time to read the GERMAN version of the Spiegel magazine and there is no doubt they DIDN'T say they are NO LONGER country. It's just a fact that the person who "translated" that into the American press wasn't speaking German good enough to translate it. How embarrassing ;)

So all of you who are looking forward to them disappearing from the Country Scene: they DON'T/won't :)

*blue*

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey Dani -

Since we don't speak German, and you do, could you share some of what they actually did say?

Thanks.
J.

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Nevermind... the Chicks have a translation posted on their website.... going to read it now.

ALSO... I can't believe that letter from Natalie was real! LMAO... I thought it was one of those smart alek things that goes around the internet.

Going to dissect this thing a little deeper, I'll be back.
J.

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 11:01 AM
I took the time to read the GERMAN version of the Spiegel magazine and there is no doubt they DIDN'T say they are NO LONGER country. It's just a fact that the person who "translated" that into the American press wasn't speaking German good enough to translate it. How embarrassing ;)

Apparently not embarrassing at all. This is what's posted on the Dixie Chicks official website.... from the article translated by a German national who works in their management office:

MAGUIRE: Yes, I think we don’t feel we are part of the country scene anymore, it can’t be our home anymore. Look, we had the most successful tour in the country genre this year in the USA, also the best selling album. That song "Travelin' Soldier" was at the top of the Billboard charts. However we were only nominated in two categories at the country awards. We didn’t receive any awards, we were even “booed” at the awards show. That says it all. At the Grammy’s which has much more competition we won 3 Awards. No, we now see ourselves part of the larger rock' n' roll-family.

Seems pretty cut and dry, and matches what's being reported over here. I can't seem to link directly to it without getting a bunch of AOL crap, maybe someone outside of AOL can post a link.

Going to read Nat's letter now, with the perspective that it's real.
J.

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Ok, read it again, can't BELIEVE she said these things.

She wants it to be known that she never complained about not winning any ACM awards. I told her nobody who has ever seen what an ACM award looks like is going to believe she said any such thing.

I'm not an ACM member, but I'm offended for them. How many ACM's have those girls won? And now she goes back and insults them because they didn't win one year? What did the Academy do to deserve THAT?

The second thing was that she never said we were a part of the "rock and roll family" now.

Perhaps Nat should read the English translation of the interview posted on their own official website where Martie said:
No, we now see ourselves part of the larger rock' n' roll-family.

The weird thing to me is how badly they are doing damage control on this whole thing. I mean, if Martie really hadn't said those things, they have a team of publicists who with a few keystrokes can reach all the media with a clarification. Smart alek letters really aren't necessary. For instance, apparently it was going around a few weeks ago that Faith Hill was leaving music and pursuing the acting thing, because she was shooting Stepford Wives. So the WB publicist put out a note that said, contrary to rumors... yada yada yada, she's looking for songs, recording in the fall, album in '04, etc. etc. etc.

It's really not so difficult to get the "truth" out and not insult everyone in the process.

But the three of ya need to get together on what your story is first... don't have one denying that another said something that is quoted on your very own website by your very own translator.

J.

redstrokes77
09-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Whether or not the translatiion was correct the facts are the same. The Chicks don't feel like member of the country music "family". Why SHOULD they stay? When Toby Keith complains that he is never nominated (and lraves an award show in a huff because he hadn't won any awards) no one says a thing.

Like they said if you have the best selling record, biggest concert sales, done the best for raising the awaeness of country music abroad (try and tell me they didn't ;) ) and you aren't nominated at all wouldn't YOU think there is something wrong? What more do they have to do?

If you feel you are being "blacklisted" why bother? I bet, just bet that when the stats come in the DC sales will be considered in the country catagory no matter what either the Chicks or Nashville wants. Heck, Shania has ALWAYS been consider country.

In the end they will lose some fans and win some others. I love their music. It's refreshing to see bluegrass that is comtemporary and that transcend different music forms.

Joyce, if you judge them on their music and find you don't like them. But do you honestly think that SOME voters based their choice on what they said and not their music?

deb

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Deb, they were nominated, they just didn't win. And they didn't show up to the ceremony anyway. I don't remember what all categories they were nominated in, but it's hard to argue with Rascal Flatts as Vocal Group of the Year, especially given that the chicks spent the first half of the year out of the spotlight before settling their lawsuit and releasing Home.

Let the record reflect, that I love the Chicks' music. I just wish they'd shut up and sing! :D And yes, I can guarantee some voters voice their choice on what they said. It's hard to vote for someone who irritates the living daylights out of you.

But on the flip side, you are voting for people to represent country music to the world. For instance, this is what is on the CMA ballot for Entertainer of the Year:

Voter should give consideration not only to recorded performance, but also to the in-person performance, staging, public acceptance, attitude, leadership, and overall contribution to the Country Music Image.

The girls aren't doing so well on that attitude, leadership, and public acceptance stuff lately.

As for their having the biggest tour, it's all on how you spin the numbers. I have press releases on Tim McGraw and Toby Keith saying the same thing. Travelin Soldier was at the top of the charts, sure, but only for one week, other songs spent longer there. So they went home from one show empty handed. Lots of acts out there would have loved to have been one of the 5 songs / albums / groups nominated. Funny, it's the show voted on by the LA based academy.

Don't look for them to fare any better at the CMA's though... the ballots were mailed the same week they announced they were leaving country music.

Regardless of how they feel about the industry and the awards, their leaving country music as a genre is an insult to their fans, and that's what I think sucks.

Just my 7 cents.
J.

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 12:31 PM
When Toby Keith complains that he is never nominated (and lraves an award show in a huff because he hadn't won any awards) no one says a thing.

Oh good heavens, how could I miss a Toby comment! :D I've been soooooo good lately!

Au contraire, he got plenty of negative press of his own for his grouchy faces when he wasn't winning awards, for his "How do you like me now?" cockiness on stage when he did win, and most notably for leaving before winning Entertainer of the Year at the ACM's.

His press people jumped right on it and put out the story and the quote about him being on Willie's bus writing a song too. Damage control.

Maybe the Chicks need to change publicists....

Rooster
09-26-2003, 01:06 PM
ROFLMAO about Natalie's letter. If only the ACMs had a category for Smart Alek of the Year. I, for one, don't have a problem with Natalie voicing her opinion on things. I don't agree with her opinion, though. What I do have a problem with is their whole attitude after the fact. And that's why I choose not to support the Chicks. As far as I'm concerned, I'll volunteer to hold the door for them as they leave. Joyce, I just love how you not only voice your opinion... but you also back it up so nicely. :applause: Awesome!

Krystal

P.S. Lemonade anyone?

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 01:24 PM
with a straw please :D

redstrokes77
09-26-2003, 01:35 PM
What the heck does "public acceptance" mean? If you sell 1 million Cds the public accepts you! LOL!

As for the Toby comment ....wake up girl.. how COULD you miss it? I didn't read or see any negative stuff but then again I don't have the same access as you do to these things. I rember a couple of years ago he said he would never attend one of the country awards show ( I can't remember if it was the CMA or AMA's). I remeber he won an award at one of the general music shows and really bad-mouthed the country music industry. I guess he was forgiven.

The thing I don't like is how everyone gangs up on the country music stars when they've done something wrong. It goes way back too. Kicking Hank Williams out of the Opry. Not playing TTR, or the grief over Chris Gaines. When an act crossoes over to pop they complain. If's it's too country they won't play it.

I don't see how it's an insult to the country fans. Their fans will follow them (if they are true fans) no matter where they hang their hats. I'd say that the only real Garth fans were those who accepted the Chris Gaines album. So does that mean he only has three million fans as oppsoed to 10 million for No Fences. You can't believe the grif I get whne I say I like country music becasue the image STILL is redneck. The most comments I get are how can you after how they treated the DC just for speaking their minds? I wonder sometimes too.

deb

Chris Gaines
09-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Public Acceptance.. means THOUSANDS of people not BURNING your cd's cause of the words you choose to says when you are not even on American soil ;)

Rooster
09-26-2003, 01:56 PM
I'd say that the only real Garth fans were those who accepted the Chris Gaines album.

Amen girl! ;)

Krystal (hands Joyce a glass of lemonade, with a straw)

Chris Gaines
09-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Deb,

kinda different though..

no one went on a Public CD Burning spree cause Garth released "Chris Gaines".. Granted Radio didn't like it.. but they didn't stop playing GARTH because of it.

That's Public Acceptance. :)

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Will CD's burn? Or will they just melt?

Well I bought a copy of the CG album. But I didn't particularly like it, because that's not the style of music I care for. I probably won't like the Chicks rock & roll album either.

What does that make me? :D

The reason I say it's an insult to country fans is because the fans - the ones who are still going to their sold out shows, who are buying their record - are the ones who loose. They won't be seeing their videos on CMT (they premiered this new one on VH1) they won't be seeing them at the country music awards shows, they won't see them at Fan Fair (although I'm not sure when the last time they went was), they won't be reading about them on the country websites. For a while maybe. But their publicists aren't going to be pushing the big interviews and programs to the country outlets.

Maybe you're right, maybe the fans will follow them to rock & roll. Personally, I'm not going to suffer through listening to rock radio to hear the new Dixie Chicks single. I sure didn't turn on the rock stations to hear Chris Gaines.

But that's just me. :D

Rooster
09-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I'd say that the only real Garth fans were those who accepted the Chris Gaines album.

Joyce, the fact that you bought the album supports this statement. I think she's talking about the people that said.... "the hell with Garth... I ain't ever listening to him again... that rotten SOB, turning his back on country music... who the the hell does he think he is?" Sorry.... getting carried away. ;)

Krystal

Lowell Miller
09-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey I just seen the chicks in a new commercial for Lipton Iced tea..... :cool: I know most of you hate the chicks ... that's cool, dislike who you want. I just think they are to cool. :D

DixieChick4GB
09-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Gee, I go out of town for 3 days and I'm already the 77th post! You are talking about my girls, here. Be kind. Be gentle. Be human.
Elaine

redstrokes77
09-26-2003, 03:33 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I listen to all kinds of music and yes, I have to change the radio stations to find what I feel like listening to at any particular moment. I find myself listening less and less to country.

Joyce says that it's the country fans who are supposrting the Chicks. Are you sure it's just country fans? I'm sure that isn't the case with Shania nor Garth. Close to a million fans in central partk. Now they have no country music station in New York. Does that mean there are no country music fans in New York? If the fans were so hurt by what she said there would be no fans at the concerts and as you pointed out the shows were sold out. As for videos, I don't watch them and many areas HAVE so country music videos stations. At least you can see them on VH1, right?

Maybe the Chicks fans don't feel welcome by other country music fans. I had no idea how rabid country music fans can be until I got interested in Garth. Country music fans can be down-right scary.

It's funny we ran Wampum out of town on the rails because we thought boycotting music was dumb. Does it not extend to the artists too?

deb

Rooster
09-26-2003, 03:39 PM
From what I recall.... Robin just left. She didn't even thank Joyce for the lemonade! :)

Krystal

redstrokes77
09-26-2003, 04:37 PM
How rude!

That ice made my knee feel much better! :)

deb

turch
09-26-2003, 04:38 PM
I also thought that letter from Natalie was a joke. Did she really say that??

If she did she really should put a sock in it. This is not exactly acting like an adult.

They are becoming a joke, and I'm not sure they even realize it.

Have a good one all

Gwen

Cathy Welch
09-26-2003, 06:05 PM
I don't usually chime in on these things, but this Dixie Chicks thing has really gotten my goat.

Have we become so politically correct we have lost our sense of humour? Sarcasm, satire, whatever at its finest. Don't you folks watch The Daily Show?

They are laughing at themselves and everyone else that is making so much out of everything they say and do now. I as a fan think it was right on! It doesn't matter what they do now, someone will be putting them under a microscope and trying to analyze it to death. Natalie's letter just iced the cake. Cleverly written and worth every chuckle I got out of it.

You also have to remember that when they were interviewed in Germany, they were interviewed in English, it was translated into German and then back again into English. The translation on their website was probably a literal translation from the German. If you were reading and understanding it in German it probably does come across somewhat differently. Translations into another language don't always make complete sense. Look at the sentence structure, it's a bit rocky at times.

Plus I understand that particular German magazine is notorious for printing false interviews and false statements. They have numerous suits filed against them for this very thing.

Everyone needs to lighten up and start laughing at things again. We've all become way too serious.

Plus, I don't care how irritated you might be at the way someone acts, since when were awards shows based on personalities and opinions, it's the quality of the product you bring to the table. The Chicks bring darn good quality to country music and if they are being shunned and not voted for because of their opinions and their personalities and not the quality of their product, then I can understand their disappointment. Their peers have decided they aren't good enough simply because of who they are and not what they do. That's just wrong. I don't see that the quality of their music has diminished so in my book that makes them mighty good enough.

Rascal Flatts for Vocal Group of Year at the ACMs....PLEASE!!

Cathy

ProducerJ
09-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Plus, I don't care how irritated you might be at the way someone acts, since when were awards shows based on personalities and opinions, it's the quality of the product you bring to the table.
As lovely as that sounds, these award shows are as political as the California governor's race. Ok... these are probably more political. ;)

Voters are human. People didn't vote for Gore because they thought he was stiff, wooden and dull. People didn't vote for Bush because they got turned off by his praying and talking about God all the time. People won't vote for Gary Coleman because he's short. It's just human nature.

It's also human nature to vote out of sentimentality. A lot of people are going to vote for JC that probably wouldn't have before. People will vote for Alabama for Vocal Group, just because it will be their last chance, and they'll think they "deserve" one more win. It's just not as black and white as saying it's based on the quality of the project.

I know there have been times when I haven't even heard the whole album I'm voting on for Album of the Year. Goodness knows I've never heard the Johnny Cash / Nitty Gritty Dirt band song that's up for Vocal Event.

Just like a presidential campaign, people aren't always examining every issue / song or every bill they've voted on / ticket sales figure, they go with what their impression is in their head.

Let's say that I've only ever heard the two songs that were hits off of Home - Travelin Soldier and Long Time Gone. But I do have a copy of Joe Nichols' man with a memory (the label sent one to all CMA voters) AND I know it's 3 hit singles. I like the Tom T. Hall cut off it, and the Haggard remake, and Joe Nichols has never done anything to make me wrinkle my nose.

Maybe Home is a better album, here in my hypothetical world, I don't really know. But I probably would vote for Joe in this hypothetical case.

Continuing with the Album of the Year category.. Home is up against a Johnny Cash album I've never heard, Tim's DHD which has had a couple of hit singles, and Toby's Unleashed, which has had several.

It's not like the Chicks are really in a position to say they had stiffer competition at the Grammy's and therefore should win at the country awards shows. Because 3 of the other contenders in this category have been highly successful at radio and in the record stores.

I still think it's an honor to be nominated.
J.

fuzzwuzz
09-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Oh good heavens, how could I miss a Toby comment! :D I've been soooooo good lately!

Au contraire, he got plenty of negative press of his own for his grouchy faces when he wasn't winning awards, for his "How do you like me now?" cockiness on stage when he did win, and most notably for leaving before winning Entertainer of the Year at the ACM's.

His press people jumped right on it and put out the story and the quote about him being on Willie's bus writing a song too. Damage control.

Maybe the Chicks need to change publicists....
I think that's the song Toby was singing in my dream this morning! It was a very small room and when I started taking pictures he stopped singing, came over and had a picture taken with ME! How do ya like ME now Tobe! Ha! Ha!

musicfan43
09-26-2003, 07:47 PM
As lovely as that sounds, these award shows are as political as the California governor's race. Ok... these are probably more political. ;)

That's the problem...they've got it all backwards. The entertainment awards are political and the California governor's race is Hollywood entertainment! :)

turch
09-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Well I have to say that I have a great sense of humor,but sorry Natalies attempt at humor wasn't even close.

That is not humor that is done right sarcastic.

Have you noticed (or is it just me) that whenever the talk about the chicks start to die down, one of them starts it up again. Maybe they think they need this kind of publicity.

Gwen

ProducerJ
09-27-2003, 01:19 AM
That's the problem...they've got it all backwards. The entertainment awards are political and the California governor's race is Hollywood entertainment! :)

THUD!

Gwen, I have noticed that. First I thought they just had really bad timing.... now I'm wondering if there isn't some intent behind it!
J.

bluestocket
09-27-2003, 05:16 AM
Cathy, great post! You really spoke out of my heart. Normally Germans are "known" in foreign countries as people with no humour....but finally it seems we are not alone...hehe.

I really love sarcasm...so I really enjoyed Nat's letter. And there is still a little truth in it. About the money for war, the WMD's not found, the people who are disappointed they didn't die in the plane crash etc. Each sarcasm got some kinda truth in it. Like it or leave it - that easy :)

*blue*

redstrokes77
09-27-2003, 04:52 PM
I am shocked, truly shocked by what you've said Joyce.

You're telling me that people vote on personality and NOT substence. We have an election here in Ontario and I've read everyone's platforms. Darn, had I known I would have just picked the guy who wore my fav colour. ;)

Unfortunately you;re correct. I wonder if the same thing happens in courts of law?

deb

TrishaNGarthFan
09-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Please give me a break. First off, Toby didn't leave in a huff. He didn't expect to win so He left to do some song writing with Willie Nelson. I saw him say it with my own eyes. And yes, people did say "a thing" or two about it.

I cannot comment on the best selling record or biggest concert sales, I have not seen any numbers, nor have I looked for them. I for one don't consider Shania country anymore, and I don't know anyone who does, although I know she'll be part of the awards.

You have to give Shania some credit though. She knows enough to shut her mouth, contrary to the diarrhea mouth the chicks seem to have.

Sue

Whether or not the translatiion was correct the facts are the same. The Chicks don't feel like member of the country music "family". Why SHOULD they stay? When Toby Keith complains that he is never nominated (and lraves an award show in a huff because he hadn't won any awards) no one says a thing.

Like they said if you have the best selling record, biggest concert sales, done the best for raising the awaeness of country music abroad (try and tell me they didn't ;) ) and you aren't nominated at all wouldn't YOU think there is something wrong? What more do they have to do?

If you feel you are being "blacklisted" why bother? I bet, just bet that when the stats come in the DC sales will be considered in the country catagory no matter what either the Chicks or Nashville wants. Heck, Shania has ALWAYS been consider country.

In the end they will lose some fans and win some others. I love their music. It's refreshing to see bluegrass that is comtemporary and that transcend different music forms.

Joyce, if you judge them on their music and find you don't like them. But do you honestly think that SOME voters based their choice on what they said and not their music?

deb

ProducerJ
09-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately you;re correct. I wonder if the same thing happens in courts of law?
You have heard of the O.J. Simpson case, haven't you?

J. <--- breaking out another pitcher of lemonade.

How's the knee Deb?

fuzzwuzz
10-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Is this what you've all been talking about?

An Open Letter From Natalie
"As I am sure you can understand, being me is a full time job," writes Natalie Maines in an open
letter to her fans and foes. Often humorous, Maines talks about the Dixie Chicks' recent plane
crash, their status in the country music community and more.
http://www.cmt.com/news/display/1479306.jhtml

bluestocket
10-04-2003, 04:57 PM
They had that letter released in German and English. And the funny thing is that the German letter contains some different things as they wrote in English.
*blue*

fuzzwuzz
10-07-2003, 02:17 AM
Like what may I ask?

bluestocket
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Just one example: In the German letter version they never mentioned Schwarzenegger's spelling of the English language!
*blue*

ProducerJ
10-07-2003, 05:38 PM
You mean when she says "Arnold Schwarzenegger called to see if we wanted to “verk out” with him at “zee gym” next week. "

I don't think they're talking about his spelling, but rather his pronunciation. Since they're mimicing how he says things, (using a V instead of a W) that's probably just something that gets lost in the translation... as I would imagine, a lot of the so called humor does.

I do wonder though... what does this mean:
Woche in der Turnhalle „Gymnastik“

It's all capitolized, like a proper name.
J.

bluestocket
10-08-2003, 12:32 PM
eine Woche = one week
Turnhalle = gym, sport arena. NOT fitness center.

Working one week in the gym :) Eine Woche in der Turnhalle arbeiten.

Gymnastik is the word for exercising in the Gym. It's the name for this "sport".

*blue*