PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day... Johhny Cash Passed Away

Monica Lockhart
09-12-2003, 08:04 AM
My alarm went off this morning and the first words I hear are...

Johnny Cash passed away this morning at 2am. :(

I know he had been very ill the past few months. God rest his soul. He's now happy and smiling with June.

He was 71.

Moni

ProducerJ
09-12-2003, 08:11 AM
That's exactly how I found out too Moni. :(

As unsurprising as this is.... it's still a hard headline to hear.

Johnny lived a very full life, and I'm grateful that the music industry recognized him while he was living. The Country Music AND Rock & Roll Halls of Fame both inducted him as members. Most recently he was the "belle" of the MTV music awards!

Johnny finally got his white suit.

lee512w
09-12-2003, 08:40 AM
My husband woke me with the news this morning,what a sad day for the entertainment world,both acting and music. Both men made great tributes to their professions and both will be missed.

Makes you step back and realize that life is too short!!

Leelee

PJ
09-12-2003, 09:13 AM
I know Johnny hadn't been well for some time and since June passed away, I'm sure you could add broken heart to his ailments. I can just hear them making beautiful music together this morning and forever.

Hearing about John Ritter was more of a shock as he was so young at 54.

Jen19
09-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Like you all said, Johnny is now with June where he wanted to be, I knew that after we lost her he would follow that is true love.

I know it must be so hard on the family to lose both of them in such a short time. Very sad but he lived a good life and left a lifetime of music .

JEN

Chris Gaines
09-12-2003, 11:57 AM
well JohnnyCash.com totally took down it's website... and left one picture :(

www.johnnycash.com

Jason

ProducerJ
09-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Wow... check out the last item posted in the news section of Johnny's website:

September 9, 2003
JOHNNY CASH RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL.

Johnny returned to his home in Hendersonville, TN today after being released from Baptist Hopsital.

He plans on traveling to California next week where he will continue recording songs for his upcoming American Recordings album.
----------------------------------

Amazing how active he still was recording music, isn't it?

Chris Gaines
09-12-2003, 12:19 PM
how ya seeing news on his site? there isn't nothing there but a picture for me.

Chris Gaines
09-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Nevermind.. there wasn't an "enter" when I was there before lol

madam divine1
09-12-2003, 02:53 PM
R.I.P. Johnny Cash; What a loss to your family, country music and the world. You will be missed!!

Tina

Vanessa
09-12-2003, 03:08 PM
today we lost two great people in this world.. the world will be a l;ittle dummer but heaven will be a little brighter.. god rest his soul!

god and peace,
Vanessa :(

wmcinnis
09-12-2003, 04:09 PM
I also awoke to this news this morning:( So sad for the Cash and Ritter families.
-Susan-

Cheryl
09-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I grew up listening to Johnny Cash (not by choice, but rather because my dad loved his music). Anyway, being a rebellious teenager, I viewed country music as punishment, and, vowed to stay far, far away from it (of course that all ended when this guy called Garth Brooks came along). A few months ago, I was packing up my dad's old CD's, and came across his Johnny Cash collection. I put in one of the CDs and just really listened. So, albeit rather late, I had finally come to realize that dad was right all along, this guy really was one very talented cool dude. I like to think my dad would have smiled at that moment.

ProducerJ
09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
The following statement was issued today by manager of Johnny Cash, Lou Robin:

"In honor of the Cash families' privacy during these times, the decision has been made to hold private - both the visitation and the funeral services. They wish to thank everyone for their prayers at this difficult time."

The following statement was issued today by the family of Johnny Cash:

"The family of Johnny Cash, in this sad hour, is greatly comforted by the outpouring of love and respect for his remarkable life. We also take solace in the knowledge that he is again reunited with his dearest companion, June. Our lives, and indeed the entire Planet, will forever feel the emptiness of his loss, but his music and the greatness of his spirit will endure."

The release went on to say that a public memorial will be held later.

ProducerJ
09-12-2003, 07:09 PM
President George W. Bush released the following statement today regarding Cash’s death.

“Johnny Cash was a music legend and American icon whose career spanned decades and genres,” said Bush. “His resonant voice and human compassion reached the hearts and souls of generations, and he will be missed. Laura joins me in sending our thoughts and prayers to his family.”

Paula
09-12-2003, 07:40 PM
I also woke up to this news this morning. I wasn't surprised...I just felt after June died that he would follow shortly.

I have always said that Garth brought me to country music...and that's true, but my first country record was Live at Folsom Prison (I still have it). I didn't listen to country music B.G. but discovered Johnny Cash when he crossed over to the rock and roll stations I listened to growing up. I loved his voice.

One regret I will always have is not going to see him when he was touring and made a stop in Boston a few years ago, just before he was diagnosed with his illness.:(

This is indeed a very sad day.:(

Paula

Vanessa
09-13-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't know if this makes any difference or not.. but we know now that johnny died of complications for diabetes.. but did ya'll know that he had parkinson's too... how sad..

god and peace,
Vanessa :(

fuzzwuzz
09-13-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm the proud owner of the 45 for "Boy named Sue". For the life of me though I can't remember what's on the B-side without going through my collection.

"I considered myself a friend, he considered me a fan - he indulged me. He showed me around his house, his ranch, his zoo (seriously, he had a zoo in Nashville), his faith, his musicianship - it was a lot to take in. He was more than wise. In a garden full of weeds - the oak tree."
~Bono

U2 and Johnny Cash once recorded the song 'The Wanderer' together. The song was not written for but used in the Wim Wenders movie 'Faraway, So Close'.

Vanessa
09-13-2003, 11:13 PM
thanks for the qoute dale.. I didnt know that johnny had a zoo! that's really cool! :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
09-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Here's a really nice article too from our local newspaper entertainment editor.

Johnny and June: Cash's demise began when wife died http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/entertainment/article/0,1651,TCP_999_2254433,00.html

ProducerJ
09-14-2003, 01:08 AM
Vanessa, I believe Johnny was mis-diagnosed with Parkinson's several years back, and a couple of years ago he got a "better" diagnosis... meaning one that made better sense with his sypmtoms.

I honestly didn't remember hearing that he had diabetes, or maybe I just forgot. He had so many health problems, was hospitalized a lot for respiratory problems. He's in a much better place now.

J.

Garthfan92
09-14-2003, 02:35 PM
That was the first news I heard on the radio Friday morning as well. One of the dj's said that he and Waylon are probably recording together again. I wouldn't be surprised!

Lisa

Paula
09-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Yes, he was misdiagnosed with Shy Drager's Syndrome, but I don't recall what the correct diagnosis ended up being. I don't ever remember the word diabetes being mentioned with all his health problems though.

A Garth connection...my radio station plays country oldies every Sunday morning from 8-noon. Today's show was dedicated entirely to Johnny Cash songs. There was one song he sang that I didn't realize he had done - The Strangest Dream. The one they played came from his Madison Square Garden CD. I thought that was very cool.

Paula

Vanessa
09-14-2003, 09:13 PM
my mom's a nurse and couldn't fugure out what Shy Drager syndrome.. and parkinson's ..thanks for clearing that up..

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
09-16-2003, 11:17 PM
A legend leaves us
http://www.NashvilleCityPaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen=enews&enews_id=26589

fuzzwuzz
09-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Has some nice comments. :)

A Ploy named Cash
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/ae/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/arts_entertainment_f3a640f70541207100f2.html

fuzzwuzz
09-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Bastard Sons of Cash stage musically tight brotherhood
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/auto/epaper/editions/today/accent_f347b8968076e15c005f.html

fuzzwuzz
10-09-2003, 07:36 PM
RYMAN TO HOST CASH TRIBUTE
By Megan Moriarty, mmoriarty@nashvillecitypaper.com A musical tribute to the late Johnny Cash is slated to take place Nov. 10 at the historic Ryman Auditorium with some of the biggest names in the industry singing his songs.
http://www.NashvilleCityPaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen=enews&enews_id=27287

fuzzwuzz
11-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Tells the story of God's amazing grace upon the troubled life of Johnny Cash.

http://shop.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/atsdirect.storefront/3fa7424303f8eddc2719ac1410010648/Product/View/31426#etract