PDA

View Full Version : CMA Performers - AJ & JB Kicking It Off

ProducerJ
09-09-2003, 11:08 AM
I knew it!!!!

ALAN JACKSON AND JIMMY BUFFETT KICK OFF "COUNTRY MUSIC'S BIGGEST NIGHT" -- "THE 37TH ANNUAL CMA AWARDS"

NASHVILLE - It will be 8:00 PM/EST, Wednesday, Nov. 5, when "The 37th Annual CMA Awards" hits the air on the CBS Television Network, but it will be "...Five O'Clock Somewhere" when superstars Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett perform their homage to bardom for the first time together on network television to open the CMA Awards live from the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, Tenn.

"The song has been a summer phenomenon and we are thrilled to have Alan and Jimmy perform it together to open the CMA Awards," said CMA Executive Director Ed Benson.

"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" is nominated for Vocal Event of the Year for Jackson and Buffett. The song, which has spent more than seven weeks at the top of the singles charts, propelled Jackson's current project, Greatest Hits Volume 2 And Some Other Stuff, to debut atop both the Billboard Pop and Country Album sales charts with more than 328,000 units sold in its first week -- the highest weekly sales total of any Country album release in 2003.

Jackson, who is the reigning CMA Entertainer and Male Vocalist of the Year, is nominated for three Awards including Entertainer, Male Vocalist and Vocal Event of the Year. The Vocal Event is Buffett's second CMA nod. The first was in 1977 when he was nominated for Single of the Year for "Margaritaville." Buffett has never performed on the CMA Awards.

"The 37th Annual CMA Awards" will be broadcast live on the CBS Television Network Wednesday, Nov. 5 (8:00-11:00 PM/EST). All-time leading CMA Award winner Vince Gill will host the gala event for the 12th consecutive year.

Chris Gaines
09-09-2003, 11:45 AM
it's sad that 300,000 units is considered the alltime high in sales for one album in Country Music today :(

fuzzwuzz
09-09-2003, 10:20 PM
This is even cooler! Yes! Yes! Yes! Party! Party! Party! I wonder if they'll be tuned in to the awards at Castaways? :) I should go and tape the show at home while I'm there. :)

ProducerJ
09-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Oh now THAT would be fun Dale!

I'll be at a Predators game. :rolleyes: Who was the scheduling genious behind THAT at the NHL?

fuzzwuzz
09-11-2003, 12:43 AM
After reading this in the Palm Beach Post, it's gonna be cool to see Jimmy win this award! ;)

Jackson, Buffett shine

It'll be about 8 o'clock when the Country Music Association awards show begins on CBS on Nov. 5, but two part-time Palm Beach County Boys, Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett, will do their best to convince the audience that It's Five O'Clock Somewhere.

They'll lead off the show with their No. 1 hit, which has been nominated for Vocal Event of the Year. Jackson's album, Greatest Hits Volume 2 And Some Other Stuff, which contains the single, debuted atop Billboard's country and pop charts and sold more copies in its first week (320,000) than any other country album this year.

Jackson, who makes a habit of winning CMA awards, is the reigning CMA Entertainer and Male Vocalist of the Year, for which he's also nominated this year. Buffett has been nominated only once before -- for Single of the Year in 1977 for Margaritaville. He hopes he wins this time.

Vanessa
09-12-2003, 09:26 AM
It's kinda funny that even tho Jimmy hasnt won tons of awards he still as huge as ever..

thanks for the articles dale :)

god and peace,
Vanessa <---a Parrott head for life! :D

fuzzwuzz
10-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Look who else will be around "competing".

KID ROCK NOMINATED FOR COUNTRY AWARD
Kid Rock a country star? You betcha. Kid Rock has been nominated for a
Country Music Award for 'Picture', his duet with Sheryl Crow. MORE
http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/20031017_kidrock.html

ProducerJ
10-18-2003, 12:05 AM
I'm thinking seriously about voting for him. It's a tough category. The Jimmy Buffett / Alan Jackson duet is tough competition. Which one of them was MORE of an event - two rock stars getting all that airplay on country radio and television, or a music icon getting his first #1 in a zillion years?

I may wind up flipping a coin on this one. It's hard because I like BOTH songs SOOOOOO much!

I have Sheryl's new country release, it's pretty good. I'm going to start a thread on her, there was a good article on her country connections in Rolling Stone this week.
J.

fuzzwuzz
10-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Oh yes! I should like to read that! :)

Is Sheryl and Kid set to perform "Picture" on this awards?

ProducerJ
10-18-2003, 11:43 PM
No, BUT I was told just today that Sheryl will be in town CMA week. I think at the very least she'll be a presenter, but then again, they might let her sing her new country single.

J.

Garthmedic
10-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Simply put, that is a dang good song. I look forward to watching it.

--spud--:)

ProducerJ
10-18-2003, 11:52 PM
which one Spud? AJ & JB? or one of the Sheryl Crow ones?

Garthmedic
10-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Five O'Clock. :)

--spud--:)

Vanessa
10-19-2003, 12:43 AM
I bet it's gonna be hard for Jimmy to sing this song.. b/c his mother just died recently.. but I digress..

It'll be good to see both AJ and Jimmy together..both good artists :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Well it's on 8pm eastern here tomorrow night! Can't wait! :)

ProducerJ
11-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Here's a good JB article if you haven't seen it Dale:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/music/sho-sunday-buff02.html

BLL
11-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Great article, Joyce. I've been a parrothead for a long time, and I've always thought Jimmy's stuff was as country as what's playing nowadays on the radio.

fuzzwuzz
11-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Wow! That's full of some good stuff!

"For the CMAs, my band is coming along and we'll play 'It's Five O'Clock Somewhere.' I don't think we'll win."
As I walked in the door tonight, Jimmy was accepting the award and the praise for putting ALAN at the top! Lol!

"I've had several failed attempts at a country career," said a laughing Buffett in an interview last week from Florida. "I came out of there [Nashville]. I've had a wonderful love-hate relationship with Nashville, and now I'm in a love stage.Me too Jimmy! Me too! :)

For "Conchy-Tonk," Buffett's band will feature Nashville songwriter Mac McAnally, slide guitarist Sonny Landreth, keyboardist Billy Payne (Little Feat), Nashville session bassist Glenn Worf and last, but not least, Doyle Grisham on steel guitar.

"These kids who are doing the songs today are fun. Toby Keith came to the studio and did something. Alan did something. I'm inviting other guys, who if their schedule permits, will come do the new record with me."

Sounds like a good love affair Florida now has going with Nashville. Or, is it the OTHER way around? ;)

fuzzwuzz
11-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Here's what was actually said.

Jackson won three awards, including vocal event of the year for his hit duet with Jimmy Buffett, ``It's Five O'Clock Somewhere.'' Jackson also won male vocalist of the year and entertainer of the year--giving him 16 career CMA awards. Vince Gill, who hosted the show, holds the record with 18.

``Thank you, Alan Jackson--I'm glad I can help your struggling career,'' Buffett joked. ``It was about 31 years ago I came to this town to pursue my musical madness. I never won anything for anything and it's great to do it here.''

Jackson said, ``Thank you, Jimmy. No problem.''

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/events/content/shared/events/ap/ap_story.html/Entertainment/AP.V9202.AP-Music-CMA-Award.html

bethany
11-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Ok, here's a question for you. I was looking at Martina's husband last night on the show (the guy she hugged when she won... her husband, right?) Anyway, he just reminded me SO MUCH of the one member in Garth's band, the shy, quite one (can't think of his name). Are there pics of the band members any where here at PG? I would like to take a second look at him....... did anyone see the resemblance?

Bethany :)

fuzzwuzz
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
I haven't had time to watch it yet. :)

Sy O'Neill: Sometimes the song remains the same

One earworm I haven't been able to shake lately is the Alan Jackson/Jimmy Buffett tune, "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere."

If someone in the office mentions Castaways Marina, the song immediately pops into my head. (Pour me something tall and strong, make it a Hurricane before I go insane.) If I had sat in on the recent Planning & Zoning Commission meeting at which the seaside bar was discussed, I would have walked away with an earache.

Buffett songs don't usually spawn earworms, since I have more than 30 of his CDs and am forever changing what's on the car's CD player.
more: http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/jc_local_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1114_2401084,00.html

I have to laugh at this writer's comments about the Brady bunches "3 lovely daughters", because that's what Alan has. :)

ProducerJ
11-06-2003, 10:15 PM
I went to a #1 party for 5 O'clock somewhere tonight! It was the first SINGLE released for the songwriters, can you believe that streak of "beginner's" luck? One of them has been in Nashville 21 years.

That's John McBride, Martina's hubby. I can't think of anyone in Stillwater he looks like. John isn't shy and quiet though ;)
J.

fuzzwuzz
11-10-2003, 04:52 PM
I guess some things were meant to be when you perservere like fellow songwriter Buddy Jewell. Obviously these people are in it for the right reasons. :)