PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Chairty Auction To Benifit T4K

Garth_FANtasizer
09-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Feeding the hungry, feeding the soul

By Allison Morgan/ Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 3, 2003

Area residents spearhead Garth Brooks charity event

Weston couple Kevin and Jennifer Queally will host "an enjoyable evening of music, dancing and charitable giving" on Sept. 11, with all proceeds benefiting the Garth Brooks "Teammates For Kids" Foundation."

"Here's an organization that gives 100 percent of the money it receives back to children," said Kevin, of the foundation. "Given how high that percentage is, we thought it would be great to extend this organization to the New England area."

The Teammate For Kids Foundation was co-founded by country singer Garth Brooks in 1999 to develop and implement innovative concepts that generate funds for the benefit of children's charities. Funds are raised by a team of professional athletes, private donors, participating foundations and organizations.

The Queallys first became interested in the Teammates For Kids Foundation after attending an appreciation party for the organization in Las Vegas this past winter. Kevin works for Merrill Lynch, one of the co-sponsoring companies of the event.

"We had been big fans of Garth Brooks throughout the years so it was a great opportunity. Then when we went out, both of us were very impressed with him and his foundation. He's very sensitive and has an amazing love of children," said Jennifer. "We went in going to see Garth Brooks and came out wanting to be teammates for this amazing foundation."

The foundation has generated and given more than $31 million for children's charities to date, with the support of more than 500 Major League Baseball players and more than 100 National Hockey League players as "Teammates." As a result, children in need of health, educational and inner city services are receiving these grants.

After returning from Las Vegas, the Queallys first thought was to hold a small cocktail party at their home to raise funds for the foundation. In recent months, though, the idea for a cocktail party has transformed itself into a major fundraiser to be held next week at the Charles River Country Club in Newton Center.

"The high integrity of the organization is just so enticing," said Jennifer. "This is a great way to be teammates with so many wonderful people."

The evening will begin with a cocktail and hors d'oeuvre reception and silent auction at 6:30 p.m., followed by a live auction, hosted by guest auctioneer Bob Lobel of WBZ-TV, at 8 p.m. Live entertainment for the evening will be provided by the band "Nightshift."

"There isn't anyone in the world who doesn't know a child, or love a child, and you can't help but want to do something to help," said Kerie Musumeci, one of 10 committee members who helped the Queallys organize next week's event.

In particular, auction items will include a trip to California for a premiere viewing of Everybody Loves Raymond, tickets to the Major League Baseball All-Star game, a trip to the PGA Masters, a whale watch for 25 people, tickets to the Oprah Winfrey Show, dinner with actor Anthony Edwards of the television show ER and memorabilia autographed by Garth Brooks.

The premiere auction item will be a trip to a foundation meeting, which will include a cocktail party and other meals, a press conference and a private concert by Garth Brooks.

"It makes you feel so touched that people have been willing to donate such amazing items to the auction," said Jennifer. "They haven't only come from friends but also acquaintances and people we don't even know. The responses we've gotten, in terms of time and donations, have been amazing."

Additional auction items will include a week in Cape Cod, tours of local television stations, golf and ski packages and professional photography packages. In total there will be 15-20 live auction items and 50-60 silent auction items.

Another exciting aspect of the evening fundraiser will center around the raffling off of glasses of champagne. All but one glass will hold a cubic zirconium in the bottom, Musumeci explained, with the exception of one holding a $7,000 diamond from David & Co.

"Every person who walks in is going to be thoroughly entertained," said Musumeci. "And the money raised will be so well used."

In response to why they chose Sept. 11, the second anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, as the date for the fundraiser Kevin said, "What better day to appreciate where you are and give back to people who are less fortunate."

"Our goal is to raise money, increase awareness about this foundation and honor the day with new and old friends," he continued.

Jennifer agreed that Sept. 11 is a great day to spend time with friends and family.

"And maybe lend a little more happiness to the day than sadness," added Musumeci.

In addition to the between 500-600 invitations already sent out for the fundraiser and donations received, the Queallys said anyone interested is invited to purchase tickets or donate auction items right up until the last minute.

"We have amply room. Anyone who wants to come is welcome," said Kevin. "The more the merrier."

Musumeci said they're hoping to raise $100,000, "and are praying for more."

Sudbury resident Dave Crosby and his wife Barb, who are friends with the Queallys, are two of many who have purchased tickets for the fundraiser.

"We enjoy attending worthwhile fundraisers like this one, and we're looking forward to being there," said Crosby, who added he hopes to take advantage of bidding on some of the enticing auction items being offered.

Every cent raised next Thursday, from ticket sales to auction items purchased, will go directly to the Garth Brooks Teammates For Kids Foundation. The Queallys said that they've found a few sponsors for the event but are footing the rest of the bill themselves.

"You can't echo it enough - this charity can really help local children and foundations," said Kevin. "We're excited about taking this national organization and giving it some grassroots in this area. If we can get people there, it will be successful without a doubt."

Anyone interested in attending the New England Garth Brooks Foundation fundraiser on Sept. 11 or donating an auction item for the event can contact Kevin's office at 781-431-4045, and ask for Jennifer. Tickets for the evening cost $100 per person.

Excerpt from "We Shall Be Free"

Written by Stephanie Davis and Garth Brooks; Sung by Garth Brooks

"This ain't comin' from no prophet

Just an ordinary man

When I close my eyes I see

The way this world shall be

When we all walk hand in hand

When the last child cries for a crust of bread

When the last man dies for just words that he said

When there's shelter over the poorest head

We shall be free

When the last thing we notice is the color of skin

And the first thing we look for is the beauty within

When the skies and the oceans are clean again

Then we shall be free

We shall be free

We shall be free

Stand straight, walk proud

'Cause we shall be free

When we're free to love anyone we choose

When this world's big enough for all different views

When we all can worship from our own kind of pew

Then we shall be free

We shall be free

We shall be free

Have a little faith

Hold out

'Cause we shall be free

And when money talks for the very last time

And nobody walks a step behind

When there's only one race and that's mankind

Then we shall be free

http://www.townonline.com/weston/news/local_regional/wtc_newwcfundraiser09032003.htm

~Ann~

Wendi5000
09-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Hey Garth ~ Do a charity concert in Texas so I can get there! :D

Chris Gaines
09-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Hey Garth ~ Do a charity concert in Texas so I can get there! :D
Yeah I need another reason to vacation down there... just do it in the spring or something... cause I'm not going there in July again. LOL

BLL
09-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Wow, these people are very cool.

Thanks, Ann.

Paula
09-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Wow, Ann...I live here in Massachusetts and hadn't heard of this. I'm going to send the link to my country radio station.

What a cool thing to be doing. I wish I could afford to go.

How in the world did you ever come across this? Looking for news on Buffalo's romp over the Patriots, were you?:p

Paula

Garthfan92
09-08-2003, 10:34 PM
What a compliment to Garth and the work TFK is doing! I'm sure they'll raise quite a bit of money.

Lisa

Garth_FANtasizer
09-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Wow, Ann...I live here in Massachusetts and hadn't heard of this. I'm going to send the link to my country radio station.

What a cool thing to be doing. I wish I could afford to go.

How in the world did you ever come across this? Looking for news on Buffalo's romp over the Patriots, were you?:p

Paula

LOL! No, Paula, I was looking around for that info on the Bills, but it wasn't during that search that I found this. I found this doing a search for T4K info.

There are some really cool auction items going up. The best one of course is the private Garth concert! I hope they do a follow up on this to let us know how much these items went for.

Let us know what your radio station has to say about it. Maybe they could bid on the private concert and then hold a contest on the air for you so you can win it! ;)

~Ann~

Chris Gaines
09-09-2003, 09:30 AM
wish it was an internet auction.. might go for higher prices...

Paula
09-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Well, I sent the link to each of the DJ's and to the program director last night but didn't hear anything. I could have missed it, or they could have just ignored my message.

I'll try to keep my eyes pealed for any follow-up news in the local papers.

Paula

GriggsGarthGirl
09-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Saw this blurb in the Boston Globe today--
TEAMMATES, INDEED Country superstar Garth Brooks won't be there tonight, but a bunch of other supporters of his Teammates for Kids Foundation and members of the Red Sox organization will be. Among those confirmed for this evening's event at the Charles River Country Club in Newton are Sox CEO Larry Lucchino and pitcher Tim Wakefield. There will an auction, MC'd by WBZ-TV sports guy Bob Lobel, that features an invitation to a foundation meeting that will include a private concert by Brooks, a trip to Los Angeles for a taping of "Everybody Loves Raymond," tickets to next year's Major League Baseball All-Star game, a trip to the PGA Masters tournament, tickets to a taping of Oprah Winfrey's show, dinner with actor Anthony Edwards, who formerly starred on "ER," and memorabilia autographed by Brooks.

fuzzwuzz
09-12-2003, 11:13 PM
This inspired an good idea right away that might help another along. My musician friend Steve Rose is hopefully gonna put together a cd/live showcase for our county fair for charity. It would probably be something small, short and simple, but we still need a charity of choice. I wonder if Teammates would work out for us in benefitting the local children, some of which whose lives Garth already has already touched when he was here? Maybe some would come because of his good name and his good cause for kids?? The idea is to give the cd of the best of Rookies singer/songwriters for a donation. Nothing huge or spectacular but what do you think of my idea? Could it work even on a smaller scale, the money raised going back into the community thru Teammates? I guess I'd have to contact Bo from Teammates and ask Steve Rose what he thinks. He knows alot about these things and usually reaps more than most from his efforts. I'm dang lucky to have that guy on my side and I hope to show my community that they are lucky too. Just tell me I haven't bit off more than I can chew!!?? But hey, if it's for the kids, we can do it! :)

With that, I just gotta share a few lyrics from one of our singer/songwriters that truly inspires me. This young man is awesome in his passion and soul in performing too. He blows me away. What's weird about this song is we have 3 other songwriters with unrelated "Coming Home" songs, and they have recently all come together and discovered this by default through me, and will perform at the next fair in Feb. "Coming Home" should probably be our motto for the live cd. I hope some of these ideas I and others are having work out as a real blessing for us and our community. And it's just so exciting to me that the music is involved. I do feel like I've come home, to the place I belong.

I'm coming home
to a place where the voices don't speak
conversation is carried in song
and the days never drag on too long

for this love
for this day
for these tears falling down where they may
that's why I'm coming home
coming quick
running fast with my arms wide

and I see you there
standing still in a field colored gold
as I run I look back and I see
that the harvest is following me

this field and I
are now running as fast as we can
as if we had invinceable feet
even though we're so fragile and weak

for this love to be met
even if this love takes us to death
that's why I'm coming home
coming quick
running fast with my arms wide
~Ricky Kendall

PJ
09-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Any news on how much the private concert went for? I agree that it would have been higher had it been an internet auction.

Paula
09-13-2003, 05:26 PM
I haven't seen any follow-up mention of this in the area's online papers.

Paula