PDA

View Full Version : Garth in today's Parade

PJ
09-07-2003, 01:09 PM
In case anyone missed it or doesn't get the Parade magazine in their Sunday paper, Garth was mentioned.

Question: When Garth Brooks made his comeback, why did he switch to ragtime rather than the country sound that made him famous?

Answer: Brooks, 41, never made a comeback. Late in 2001, after recording the country album Scarecrow and headlining three CBS specials, Brooks quit performing in public. What's more, to our knowledge, he has never played ragtime. As for his retirement, his manager tells us: "Garth lives north of Tulsa with his three daughters and frequently commutes to Nashville to see main squeeze, Trisha Yearwood."

Vanessa
09-07-2003, 01:24 PM
what exactly is ragtime music? Ive never heard of that? thanks PJ for the info :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

PJ
09-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Ragtime is kind of like swing music. My guess is this person heard Wrapped Up In You and never the entire Scarecrow album.

Vanessa
09-07-2003, 03:43 PM
ragtime seems like interesting music altho I dontsee how that pewrson could think of WUIY as ragtime music.. maybe Im just mistaken..

god and peace,

PJ
09-07-2003, 03:50 PM
I don't either Vanessa, but obviously from the rest of this person's question, he doesn't have much of a clue where Garth is concerned.

Vanessa
09-07-2003, 03:51 PM
that's jusr sad.. I mean if you're going to write an article.. about garth..you have to be somewhat informed about his life! sheesh!

god and peace,

PJ
09-07-2003, 04:00 PM
It wasn't an article - The Parade has a celebrity section where reader's submit questions and Parade finds out the answers. The question was submitted by a reader. I actually think the Parade response was well written without calling the question writer clueless. :)

Garth_FANtasizer
09-07-2003, 07:18 PM
They used a really cute picture of Garth and Trisha too! :)

~Ann~

musicfan43
09-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Any chance we could see the picture?? :)

Teach
09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
I tried to attach the picture here but I cannot do it. Sorry,musicfan.

BLL
09-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Ragtime is a form of music that experienced it's height of popularity in the mid to late 1920's. Scott Joplin and WC Handy truly exemplified the ragtime tempo. Much of today's uptempo jazz is a hybrid of blues and ragtime.

'Alexander's Ragtime Band' is one example that is still a standard in many marching bands repitiore. If one watches the movie 'The Sting', one hears a great deal of ragtime music; in fact the movie inspired a surge of popularity for this music in the '70's.

....thus concludes this brief musical history lesson.....sorry :)

Vanessa
09-07-2003, 09:49 PM
thanks Barbara for the music history lesson ;)

god and peace,

ProducerJ
09-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Raise your hand if you can actually hear these words - printed in QUOTES - actually coming out of Kelly's mouth....

"Garth lives north of Tulsa with his three daughters and frequently commutes to Nashville to see main squeeze, Trisha Yearwood."

:rolleyes:

Garth_FANtasizer
09-07-2003, 10:23 PM
LOL Joyce, not very likely!

~Ann~

GBronx
09-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Raise your hand if you can actually hear these words - printed in QUOTES - actually coming out of Kelly's mouth....

"Garth lives north of Tulsa with his three daughters and frequently commutes to Nashville to see main squeeze, Trisha Yearwood."

:rolleyes:

How funny are you!!!! I thought the same thing...NO!!
First I said to myself....His manager?? Then I laughted!!!!
No chance in HeLL!!! LOL
Grandma Jo

Garthfan92
09-07-2003, 11:58 PM
I agree, Kelly wouldn't have worded it that way. The person asking sure hasn't paid much attention to Garth's career though. That's for sure!

Lisa

Wendi5000
09-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Well Garth did dissappear for a while... so the "newbie" to the fan scene, who wasn't following his career when he took time off from music, played baseball, did the Chris Gaines project, etc. would probably see the later album as a "comeback" after a long haitus from music. As for calling it ragtime... well it does have a lot of *difference* from his earlier styles but I think it is mostly still country. There are a few songs that sound *almost* pop-ish, kinda like the Chris Gaines music. But then, there has always been that element in his style :).