PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...

Paula
09-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Even though I haven't been able to watch the Opry since they were dropped from TNN and I don't get CMT, this really stinks. I hope they are able to find another home.
Opry Ends CMT Affiliation
The Grand Ole Opry's weekly telecast on CMT is coming to an end, after Opry owner Gaylord Entertainment did not renew its agreement with CMT. CMT has presented the one-hour Grand Ole Opry Live each Saturday night since 2001. Prior to that, the program aired on TNN: The Nashville Network. In a statement released Wednesday (Sept. 3), CMT officials said, "The contract between CMT and Gaylord Entertainment for the Opry telecast has reached the end of its term. CMT and Gaylord Entertainment negotiated for a new term, but an agreement was not reached. … CMT wishes only the best for the Opry." CMT's final presentation of Grand Ole Opry Live will air Sept. 27. CMT is currently seen in 70.4 million U.S. homes. 09/03/2003 http://www.country.com

Paula

beckysue59
09-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Just one more reason for me not to watch CMT. It's really gone down hill the last couple of years. Do you think there is any chance that GAC might pick it up?

ProducerJ
09-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Egads!

Well this is a tragedy. The reason the Opry attracts the talent that it does is the television coverage. Heck, even George Jones only shows up on the televised portion, he doesn't do the Friday or the late shows anymore. Sure there are newcomers that play the stage every chance they get because they love the tradition. But there are a lot more who don't, and won't. The tv coverage was a huge bargaining chip.

As for GAC, they just don't have the production know how to be able to pull it off, and their budget is much teenier than CMT's. I can't imagine they'd pick it up, unless it was a straight feed with no bells and whistles. GAC doesn't have the reach that CMT does either.

The poor Opry! First they landed on sirius with their 7 listeners, and now they aren't on tv at all. Gaylord will be selling WSM before long.

This WILL make it easier for me to book anthem singers for Saturday night Preds games though.
J.

P.S. I meant to start a thread here the other day... Michelle Branch is playing the Opry next month I think. What genre of music is she from?

GriggsGarthGirl
09-04-2003, 12:45 AM
It'd be so great if GAC picked it up and just did a straight feed. If Katie Cook was the bells and whistle they're better off without it--lol. I always wanted to see more Opry and less Katie. Maybe PBS or some station like that will pick it up. That'd be cool.

fuzzwuzz
09-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Michelle Branch sounds familiar. Is she Christian?

Chris Gaines
09-04-2003, 02:15 AM
She's considered "Alternative Rock" from what I understand....

GBsgirl
09-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Man that sooooo sucks!!!! I loved watching the Opry on saturday nights. i noticed that you can't look up when a specific video is on anymore. I've pretty much stopped watching CMT anymore except for MWL.

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea

ProducerJ
09-04-2003, 08:29 AM
You know they're re-doing MWL (yet again!) too don't you? It's moving to the Wildhorse, and taping during the week.

DixieChick4GB
09-04-2003, 08:43 AM
That is REALLY a bummer about the Opry. And this is from a person who just 5 years ago did not know what the Opry was (I thought it was a skit on Hee Haw or something.) :) :) I now look forward to Saturday nights to see the veterans I missed when I didn't listen to country and the new acts who are showcased there. That really s*cks. I have grown attached to watching the Opry on Saturday nights. I can't believe they are doing that.

And I never watch videos on CMT anymore since they got rid of the search feature. I look for certain artists and now I can't do that so I don't waste my time.

Elaine

BLL
09-04-2003, 10:58 AM
According to countrynation.com, GAC will be picking up the show, but for only 26 live ones to start out, adding more live shows later. They can't do any worse than CMT; I think CMT really ruined the Opry when they took it over. I hate the fact they showed re-runs whenever the line-up was the older established stars. I enjoy watching Connie Smith, Jean Sheppard and Jim Ed Brown. Hopefully we'll get to see them on GAC.

ProducerJ
09-04-2003, 11:41 AM
I was just coming her to post the press release! This is VERY surprising to me. A coup for GAC for sure. I hadn't thought about Jones' radio arm... that was probably considered a big asset to their syndicated efforts.

GAC to Broadcast ‘Opry Live’

To Country Music Fans Six Times Weekly, Including Tuesdays in Primetime

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sept. 4, 2003) – The Grand Ole Opry announced today that “Grand Ole Opry Live,” cable television’s top-rated weekly music series, will be available each week of the year on the Great American Country (GAC) network. Beginning Saturday, Oct. 4, the popular show moves to GAC from Country Music Television (CMT). The television broadcast schedule includes 52 weekly telecasts airing on Saturday nights at 8 p.m. EST and repeating three times on weekends and twice on Tuesday evenings – allowing fans six opportunities a week to see “Grand Ole Opry Live.”

“The continued growth of the Opry’s distribution was an important factor in the decision to partner with Great American Country, and we determined unequivocally that Great American Country is the right home for ‘Grand Ole Opry Live,’” said Steve Buchanan, senior vice president of media and entertainment for Gaylord Entertainment. “The weekly television series coupled with WSM-AM, radio syndication, satellite radio, Armed Forces Radio and Internet broadcast makes the Grand Ole Opry available around the world. And, with more frequent viewing opportunities on GAC, we’ll continue to draw country music’s best and brightest performers, which translates into more excitement for country music enthusiasts.”

GAC and its parent company, Jones Media Networks, are the largest providers of country music programming in America. In addition to the weekly broadcasts on GAC, Jones Media Networks will also provide the Grand Ole Opry with significant cross-platform exposure through its network of other media companies, including Jones Radio Networks (JRN). JRN is the nation’s largest provider of live, 24-hour music formats to radio via satellite, serving some 1,200 stations and such popular syndicated country radio shows as “Lia,” “Danny Wright,” and “Bill Cody’s Classic Country Weekend.”

“We are very pleased ‘Grand Ole Opry Live’ will be moving to GAC and to be establishing a long-term relationship with the Opry,” said Jeffrey Wayne, president of Great American Country. “The Grand Ole Opry is the longest-running radio show and best-known music program in the world today. It is truly an institution and has instant brand-name recognition that will resonate with our viewers. The addition of the Opry, the crown jewel of country programming, supports Jones Media Network’s goal of becoming the preeminent country programmer in the world.”

“It is important to see Gaylord expanding the great franchise of the Grand Ole Opry by utilizing all the exciting media opportunities available, as they also integrate many of today’s best country artists,” said Ed Benson, executive director of the Country Music Association. “We hope the new relationship will be rewarding for both Gaylord and Jones as well as the country music industry.”

“This partnership between the Grand Ole Opry and Great American Country gives the Opry the opportunity to reach the people who truly love and revere country music, and in turn for those people the opportunity to see where it all began,” said Grand Ole Opry member Vince Gill.

Avenues for fans to enjoy the Grand Ole Opry now include: Great American Country; 650 WSM-AM, the home of the Grand Ole Opry since 1925; 205 radio stations across the country through syndication of “America’s Grand Ole Opry Weekend,” which is distributed by Westwood One; Sirius Satellite Radio’s Stream 132; www.opry.com and www.wsmonline.com; and the Armed Forces Radio Network.

“The Grand Ole Opry is now aligned with three of country radio’s major players – Cumulus Media, Westwood One and Jones Radio Networks,” Buchanan said. “All target the core country music consumer very effectively, and we are delighted to have solidified these relationships as the Opry platform continues to expand for both its fans and the Opry’s talented performers. Great American Country is an excellent addition to our distribution as it shares the Opry’s commitment to perpetuating its rich legacy by presenting the best performers of today and its most promising artists of the future.”

The new season of “Grand Ole Opry Live” will be produced by High Five Entertainment, an internationally recognized, Emmy Award-winning production company based in Nashville with more than 600 television productions to its credit. The season will kick off with a Patsy Cline Tribute special on Saturday, Oct. 4, featuring Rebecca Lynn Howard and Lee Ann Womack. The new MCA release, “Remembering Patsy Cline,” is due in stores Sept. 9.

About the Grand Ole Opry

The Grand Ole Opry presents the best in country music live every week from Nashville, Tenn. A uniquely American experience for more than 77 years, the Opry can be heard on 650 WSM-AM, Stream132 on Sirius Satellite Radio, www.opry.com and the Armed Forces Radio Network. The syndicated weekly program, America’s Grand Ole Opry Weekend, airs on more than 200 country radio stations across the country, and Grand Ole Opry Live airs each weekend. The Grand Ole Opry is owned by Gaylord Entertainment (NYSE: GET), a leading hospitality and entertainment company based in Nashville. For more information, visit www.opry.com or www.gaylordentertainment.com.

About GAC and Jones Media Networks

GAC is America’s only 24-hour country music television network dedicated to country’s core audience, adults 25-54. GAC reaches over 25 million Nielsen households with access to country’s superstars, legends and emerging artists through a mix of music videos, interviews, performance specials and exclusive marquee programming. GAC is a subsidiary of Jones Media Networks Ltd., an independent producer and syndicator of nationally distributed radio and cable television programming, and operates a leading network radio advertising rep firm. The Company currently syndicates radio programming and services to approximately 5,400 radio stations throughout the U.S. and reaches approximately 150 million radio listeners each week.

ProducerJ
09-04-2003, 11:43 AM
I see High Five is doing the production, makes sense that they'd have to go out of house. High Five used to do a LOT of programming for CMT years ago, they will make it look good.

J.

beckysue59
09-04-2003, 12:11 PM
The more stories about this that I read, the more it's sounding like the Opry dumped CMT, NOT the other way around. They probably got tired of CMT trying to interfere with the way the show was booked. I noticed that they were trying to shove the older artists aside more and more.

This is great news for the Opry, I think. Maybe it will be treated with the respect that it deserves now.

ProducerJ
09-04-2003, 12:23 PM
The more stories about this that I read, the more it's sounding like the Opry dumped CMT, NOT the other way around. They probably got tired of CMT trying to interfere with the way the show was booked. I noticed that they were trying to shove the older artists aside more and more.

This is great news for the Opry, I think. Maybe it will be treated with the respect that it deserves now.

Well... remember the Opry is the one that has ticked a bunch of the "old-timers" off by not booking them as often, not giving them the TV spots, not allowing some of the older artists to become members, focusing instead on the younger artists.

I think it all boiled down to money and cross promotion.
J.

DixieChick4GB
09-04-2003, 05:25 PM
I don't get GAC on my Dish. DRATS! What am I going to do? :(
Elaine

beckysue59
09-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Well... remember the Opry is the one that has ticked a bunch of the "old-timers" off by not booking them as often, not giving them the TV spots, not allowing some of the older artists to become members, focusing instead on the younger artists.

I think it all boiled down to money and cross promotion.
J.

Do you think that CMT was putting pressure on the Opry to do this, though? That's kind of the impression I was getting.

Greeny
09-04-2003, 07:16 PM
I am gunna flip Trisha Yearwood better not go on the Opry anymore since I can't watch it now.... I really have a problem with CMT

Paula
09-04-2003, 07:28 PM
I was SO happy to get the Opry email today that announced this. I still won't be able to watch it because I don't have GAC either, but at least it will continue to be televised.
The more stories about this that I read, the more it's sounding like the Opry dumped CMT, NOT the other way around. They probably got tired of CMT trying to interfere with the way the show was booked. I noticed that they were trying to shove the older artists aside more and more.I thought the same thing as you when I was reading the articles. Joyce may be right...I can't remember what came first, CMT taking over the televising of the Opry or the Opry letting the Opry band members go, which was the first thing I remember about the Opry looking to younger blood. I know that, when the Opry was on TNN, the older artists were always represented on the televised portion. Porter, Jimmy or Bill almost inevitably participated in the live portion and Porter or Bill would do the Opry Backstage portion that preceded the live show.

I could pay for digital service with my cable company and get GAC...I may have to consider doing that.

Paula

DixieChick4GB
09-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Many country fans were introduced to Michelle when she was the opening act for the Dixie Chicks on the last half of their tour this year.
Elaine

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
09-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Boo Hoo! I don't get GAC either :( but I am so happy that they picked it up. It would be a terrible shame if it was not airing at all.'

CC

ProducerJ
09-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Here's a new story from the Associated Press that explains the nitty gritty a little better.

"Grand Ole Opry Live" Leaving CMT
.c The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The live telecast of the Grand Ole Opry is moving from Country Music Television to its smaller competitor, Great American Country.

The hour-long country music show, ``Grand Ole Opry Live,'' has appeared on CMT every Saturday night since 2001. It draws 1.5 million to 2 million viewers and was CMT's highest-rated weekly series.

The move means the TV broadcast will reach fewer viewers. Great American Country, started in 1996, reaches only 25.2 million U.S. households, compared to the more than 70 million households reached by CMT.

``There isn't a bigger, longer-running music show on TV today,'' said Jeff Wayne, president of Great American Country, whose parent company is Jones Media Networks of Englewood, Colo. ``It really puts us on the map.''

CMT and Gaylord Entertainment, which owns the Opry, tried but failed to negotiate a new agreement with the Opry. Steve Buchanan, senior vice president of media and entertainment for Gaylord, said CMT proposed a deal that would have broadcast fewer shows.

Great American Country will air ``Grand Ole Opry Live'' Saturdays at 8 p.m. EDT and increase the number of repeat telecasts. Repeats will be three times on weekends and twice on Tuesday.

However, in the first year of the deal, Great American Country will show fewer live episodes: only 26 in the first year, down from more than 40 live shows a year on CMT.

The Opry's TV show has been on the air for 18 years. Before CMT, it appeared on TNN: The Nashville Network.

Paula
09-05-2003, 09:35 PM
However, in the first year of the deal, Great American Country will show fewer live episodes: only 26 in the first year, down from more than 40 live shows a year on CMT.That's disappointing. So they will be airing shows that have been previously aired half the time.:(

Paula

beckysue59
09-05-2003, 09:47 PM
That's disappointing. So they will be airing shows that have been previously aired half the time.:(

Paula

That sucks! :( Well, it says for the first year. If their ratings improve because of it, maybe they'll increase it.

ProducerJ
09-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Well look at it this way... for people who get GAC but not CMT, they'll be brand new shows!
:)
J.

Garthfan92
09-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Well, I still won't be able to watch it, but at least it will air somewhere!

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
09-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Nashville City Paper has an article today too. I'll share the link later.

ProducerJ
09-06-2003, 12:02 AM
oh please do Dale... I had copied a section to put here and then got caught up in something else and lost it. It was a good article.... talks about the Opry's demographics vs. CMT's.

J.

fuzzwuzz
09-06-2003, 12:29 AM
OPRY'S OLDER VIEWERS LIKELY LED TO DEPARTURE FROM CMT
As The Grand Ole Opry Live moves to its third cable television home on the Great American Country (GAC) next month, it will be shown less
frequently live and to fewer potential viewers.

http://www.NashvilleCityPaper.com/index.cfm?section=10&screen=enews&enews_id=26312

don't forget to add to the feedback while there too!

Garth_FANtasizer
09-06-2003, 03:16 PM
http://www2.allaccess.com/members/country/rumbles/rumbles.asp

TAKING THE "REAL" COUNTRY OUT OF CMT!

by Jimmy Carter

... reporting to you from Toronto.

Had to leave the country after the news today that CMT had given the boot to
their highest rated program, The Grand Old Opry Live!

Actually, I'm here covering the Toronto Film Festival, which is about as
Country music-oriented as CMT these days. In other words, I feel right at
home.

CMT, led by resident genius Brian Philips, has boldy gone past their
"Bluegrass Is Going To Be The Next Big Thing And Take Us To The Promised
Land" with this misguided decision about the Opry. The Canadians may be more
angry about this than the Americans, though, since I'm not sure how our
friends to the north will get the Opry show with CMT US not doing it
anymore. Hmm.... Great American Country is not as slick as CMT. The graphics
aren't as Park Avenue, and the specials aren't made in Los Angeles, but they
do play music videos. And a lot of them. Add the Opry as their centerpiece
and they can now try to build what the very profitable TNN had for over a
decade. For the short term, Country will have a smaller voice. The young
stars like Jennifer Hanson will not have a million plus national TV audience
to play to. It will take some building and some fans looking for the
product.

Like the fans did when the Opry moved from TNN, they will find it and the
ratings will be strong. Once fans find the dial position, they will come
back. Maybe older fans than the teens that MTV, errr, CMT, I mean, wants,
but an audience you can build with and one that is LOYAL. Loyality is not a
quality generally associated with fickle young music fans.

CMT is owned by MTV. It's all about the sizzle and not about the steak. It's
about style and rarely about substance. The Opry doesn't need my two cents
worth to state how important this venue is to the genre. CMT never wanted
the show or the image of some of the older stars. It did everything possible
to get the older stars off the TV portion. CMT is going to always run after
the MTVest act of the moment. Chesney is that darling and maybe Rascal
Flatts. They are fine acts, but certainly not Country Music Hall of Fame
candidates. They are pop acts with hats and hair.

There is room for everyone under the Country music tent, which is a concept
that CMT doesn't get. In the day of narrow demos, it's all about that 18-24
or whatever it is they are focusing on. That's a mistake. I mean, thank God
Country is attracting a younger audience. There is nothing wrong with that.
But do you have to throw out the over 40 people with it?

Last time I looked on Saturday night, my 18 year old was GONE! Why can't you
program that night to the audience that IS available? DUH!!!!

CMT best shows its colors when it tries to pick its on air folks. Idiots
come to mind with the crop that came and went in the last few years, with
only Katie Cook hanging in there. She's OK, but she's hardly a warm and
fuzzy "country" gal you would have over for a beer or tea! They just don't
get it. Never have gotten it.

Country audiences change, but they will probably never be the girls working
in midtown Manhattan. Once that was the case (in the Urban Cowboy era), but
it certainly didn't last. Why can't they find a good Texas girl to do these
hosting jobs? They grow them on trees in the Lonestar State!

CMT's programming wizard was wrong about bluegrass and the O Brother
landslide. It never happened. Bluegrass is an element of the mix, not the
future or the centerpiece. Playing to just Rascal Flatt country fans will
not be the way to go, either. Losing that tonnage of audience from the Opry
and that historical glow it gives will be a mistake in the long run.

CMT is a little seen network. Never shows up on ANY national ratings chart.
The Opry ratings weren't "Friends," but at least they weren't
"chicken-scratch," as is often the case with CMT.

The Inside Fame shows are good ... and I'm sure I'd like something else if I
knew it was on.

I hope this makes GAC a real competitor. That GAC uses the Opry to build a
network around. It can be done. There is a LARGE unserved Country audience
out their that misses TNN programming and is ready to watch something other
than Rascal Flatts' butts!

So CMT, may you folks all be forced to watch reruns of Hee Haw in purgatory.
You are the current big dog in Country, but we shall see for how long. With
the brilliant leadership, who knows!

Can Alan Jackson lose the Entertainer of the Year award with the Buffett
duet going so well and at just the right voting time?

Is Johnny Cash sicker than they are saying? John Anderson has a heart attack
and is back on the street in just over 50 hours ... wow!

I watched the MTV awards the other night ... and liked some of it. At least
they know who they are. CMT is trying so hard to be MTV with a twang and it
doesn't work. Country is REAL. Think they will ever understand that in NYC?

~Ann~

beckysue59
09-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Well said, Jimmy Carter!!! He hit it right on the head!!:)

Paula
09-06-2003, 06:14 PM
I agree Becky. Thanks for the article, Ann.
Add the Opry as their centerpiece and they can now try to build what the very profitable TNN had for over a decade. For the short term, Country will have a smaller voice. The young stars like Jennifer Hanson will not have a million plus national TV audience to play to. It will take some building and some fans looking for the product.

Like the fans did when the Opry moved from TNN, they will find it and the ratings will be strong. Once fans find the dial position, they will come back. Maybe older fans than the teens that MTV, errr, CMT, I mean, wants, but an audience you can build with and one that is LOYAL. Loyality is not a quality generally associated with fickle young music fans.I've already emailed my cable company *begging* them to add GAC to the lineup. I can get it if I go to the digital service, but I don't watch enough TV to warrant spending the extra money. I may need to look into it and see just how much more it would cost a month to see if I think it would be worth it, just so I would have something worth watching on TV.

Paula

fuzzwuzz
09-07-2003, 02:14 AM
I think we still get GAC on another channel even though CMT took the channel numbers place. When's it gonna start?

Honeybunny31
09-07-2003, 11:59 PM
I am SOO geeked about it.. I haven't been able to watch it since it was on TNN.. Had to go over to my parents to watch "Inside the fame".

I believe it starts October 4th...

Take Care All,

Lisa