PDA

View Full Version : The CMA Awards nominees......

lee512w
08-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Here is the list if anyone missed it this morning

The final nominees for the 2003 CMA Awards are:
ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
Brooks & Dunn
Kenny Chesney
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
Tim McGraw

FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Terri Clark
Alison Krauss
Patty Loveless
Martina McBride
Dolly Parton

MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Kenny Chesney
Alan Jackson
Toby Keith
Tim McGraw
Brad Paisley
George Strait

HORIZON AWARD
Gary Allan
Buddy Jewell
Joe Nichols
Blake Shelton
Darryl Worley

VOCAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
Alabama
Diamond Rio
Dixie Chicks
Lonestar
Rascal Flatts

VOCAL DUO OF THE YEAR
Bellamy Brothers
Brooks & Dunn
Montgomery Gentry
Sons of the Desert
The Warren Brothers

SINGLE OF THE YEAR
(Award goes to artist and producer)
"Beer For My Horses" - Toby Keith duet with Willie Nelson, Produced by
James Stroud/Toby Keith, DreamWorks Records Nashville

"Celebrity" - Brad Paisley, Produced by Frank Rogers, Arista Nashville

"Have You Forgotten?" - Darryl Worley, Produced by Frank Rogers/James
Stroud, DreamWorks Records Nashville

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash, Produced by Rick Rubin, Lost Highway Records

"Three Wooden Crosses" - Randy Travis, Produced by Kyle Lehning,
Word/Curb/Warner Bros. Records

MUSICIAN OF THE YEAR
Jerry Douglas - dobro
Paul Franklin - steel guitar
Aubrie Haynie - fiddle/mandolin
Brent Mason - guitar
Randy Scruggs - guitar

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
(Award goes to artist and producer)
AMERICAN IV: THE MAN COMES AROUND - Johnny Cash, Produced by Rick
Rubin, Lost Highway Records

HOME - Dixie Chicks, Produced by Dixie Chicks/Lloyd Maines, Open
Wide/Monument/Columbia Records

MAN WITH A MEMORY - Joe Nichols, Produced by Brent Rowan, Universal
South

TIM MCGRAW AND THE DANCEHALL DOCTORS - Tim McGraw/Dancehall Doctors,
Produced by Byron Gallimore/Tim McGraw/Darran Smith, Curb Records

UNLEASHED - Toby Keith, Produced by James Stroud/Toby Keith, DreamWorks
Records Nashville

MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR
(Award goes to artist and director)
"Beer For My Horses" - Toby Keith duet with Willie Nelson, Directed by
Michael Salomon

"Celebrity"- Brad Paisley, Directed by Peter Zavadil

"Concrete Angel" - Martina McBride, Directed by Robert Deaton/George J.
Flanigen IV

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash, Directed by Mark Romanek

"Red Dirt Road" - Brooks & Dunn, Directed by Steven Goldmann

VOCAL EVENT OF THE YEAR
Toby Keith duet with Willie Nelson - "Beer For My Horses," DreamWorks
Records Nashville

Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett - "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere," Arista
Nashville

Kid Rock featuring Sheryl Crow - "Picture," Lava/Atlantic Records

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band featuring Johnny Cash - "Tears in the Holston
River," Capitol Nashville

Tracy Byrd (with Andy Griggs, Montgomery Gentry and Blake Shelton) -
"The Truth About Men," RCA Records

SONG OF THE YEAR
(Award goes to songwriter and primary publisher)
"Beer For My Horses" Toby Keith/Scotty Emerick, Tokeco Tunes/Big Yellow
Dog Music

"Celebrity" Brad Paisley, EMI April Music/Sea Gayle Music

"Have You Forgotten?" Darryl Worley/Wynn Varble, EMI April
Music/Pittsburg Landing Songs/Warner-Tamerlane Pub.

"Red Dirt Road" Kix Brooks/Ronnie Dunn, Sony/ATV

"Three Wooden Crosses" Doug Johnson/Kim Williams, Mike Curb Music/Sweet
Radical Music/Sony/ATV Tune

"The 37th Annual CMA Awards" will be broadcast live on the CBS
Television Network (8:00-11:00 PM/EST) Wednesday, Nov. 5 from the Grand Ole
Opry House in Nashville.
www.CMAawards.com

Carol Ann
08-26-2003, 04:24 PM
I thought the list of Female Vocalist nominees was very interesting. It seems to me the Academy is trying to make a point. All I know for sure is that I'm glad there are two names missing from that list of nominees, cough, Faith, cough, Shania.

Carol Ann

Paula
08-26-2003, 07:31 PM
I agree with you Carol Ann. It's a point that I hope is noticed.

I'm actually surprised at some of the names for Female Vocalist, particularly Dolly Parton. Not that she's not deserving, but she's just been pretty much missing from award nominations.

I was also surprised to see Buddy Jewell on the list. I thought he would have been too new to even be considered, even though he broke through during the qualification period. If he doesn't get an award this time though, I'm quite sure we'll see him nominated often in the years to come.

Wasn't "Picture" already nominated last year at the CMA...or was it just for the ACM award?
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band featuring Johnny Cash - "Tears in the Holston River," Capitol NashvilleI've never heard anything about this song.

Paula

Paula
08-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Since Joyce hasn't mentioned it, I thought I'd let everyone know that her latest column (http://www.planetgarth.com/columnists/column.php?column_id=1038) talks about the nomination process and the propaganda she received "for her consideration."

Paula

GriggsGarthGirl
08-26-2003, 09:19 PM
Yay! The Truth About Men is nominated for Vocal Event of the Year! Woohoo! Now I gotta watch the show to see who wins--lol

Chris Gaines
08-27-2003, 10:26 AM
I think the CMAs are a joke...

Gary Allan? Horizon Award? Hasn't he been in the business like 5 years now???????????

I think someone like Hanson or Jimmy Wayne.. is more deserving

GBsgirl
08-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Not a single nomination for Keith Urban??????Are they deaf dumb and blind?????? UGH!!!!!!

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea

Chris Gaines
08-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Not a single nomination for Keith Urban??????Are they deaf dumb and blind?????? UGH!!!!!!

Pam
Proud Wife of the
8th Civil Engineer Squadron Commander
(A.K.A. The Devil)
Kunsan AB, Korea
yeah I noticed that too Pam...

He one of the best Guitar players Country music has today (with exception to Brad Paisley.)

He has a new album out.. and a song Climbing FAST up the charts...

what the hell is up with the CMAs???

Who picks the winners.. what is it a "POPularity contest?"

Emphasis applied for true meaning....

GriggsGarthGirl
08-27-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm not a Gary Allan fan so I have other reasons for believing that he shouldn't be nominated for a Horizon award, but the Horizon Award is not about being a new artist. It's just about being on the verge of being big. Kenny Chesney won it after his 5th CD was released and right before he took off as a superstar. I don't think Gary Allan is on the verge of that, but if he were it wouldn't matter if it were after his first CD or his 25th. More times than not when they give it to an artist after only one single/one CD they are wrong. Look at the fact that Bryan White won one year.

As for Keith Urban not being nominated--that's simply because this is more of a COUNTRY awards show than the ACM Awards and Keith will be the first to tell you that he's a very POP country artist. He's proud of that fact. That's the same reason why Faith & Shania were overlooked. This is the COUNTRY awards show. It's not very pop friendly. Never has been.

Vanessa
08-27-2003, 11:59 AM
altho keith isn't or the acm's or cma's he is going to be on the CCMA's.. but you'll have to check his site.. www.keithurbanfans.com for more info :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

ProducerJ
08-27-2003, 12:05 PM
the Horizon Award is not about being a new artist. It's just about being on the verge of being big.
Exactly ! My money goes on Joe Nichols for this one.

That's the same reason why Faith & Shania were overlooked. This is the COUNTRY awards show. It's not very pop friendly. Never has been.
OMG - you could have written the front page article in this morning's paper! Check it out, you hit the nail on the head.

http://tennessean.com/entertainment/news/archives/03/08/38332953.shtml?Element_ID=38332953

As another thought, the CMA's always try to get some sort of non-country act to appear on the show (Michael Bolton/Wy duet... Alabama/*N Sync, etc.) I wonder if Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow might do the show this year?

J.

ProducerJ
08-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Yay! The Truth About Men is nominated for Vocal Event of the Year! Woohoo! Now I gotta watch the show to see who wins--lol

Not to bust your bubble, but they give out Vocal Event before the telecast :( so you'll have to watch the little bumps going into the credits to see the winner.

As for Jennifer Hanson or Jimmy Wayne being deserving, neither of them have had a hit yet, it's still early in the game for them.

The one I"m upset about is "19 Something" being shut out of Single of the Year (hello - 6 weeks at #1!) and Video of the Year. But then again, Mercury didn't do any campaigning for the song at ALL. Nor for Shania.

If I'm reading the list right, Capitol only has one nomination AGAIN this year - AGAIN in the Vocal Event non-televised category. They need to get some more of their employees signed up as CMA members!

J.

GriggsGarthGirl
08-27-2003, 03:20 PM
I had a feeling they didn't give that award away on air. But, Andy's still nominated and that's all that matters--lol. Saw him in concert last Friday and he actually said that he doesn't agree with the song--lol. He said that Tracy asked him to sing on it and as they were recording it he read the lyrics and said "Tracy, I'm not sure I agree with what this song is saying" and Tracy said "Don't worry about it, it's just an album cut, no one will EVER hear it"--lol. Andy said that Tracy owes him one. I guess they're even now--lol.

Chris Gaines
08-27-2003, 03:47 PM
As for Jennifer Hanson or Jimmy Wayne being deserving, neither of them have had a hit yet, it's still early in the game for them.

I guess "Stay Gone" wasn't a "hit" :rolleyes: :)

bluestocket
08-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, if I didn't know Country Music business is a big joke, I knew if after the nominations of the Entertainer of the Year.

Folks, Country is DEAD! The Chicks are one of those "old" stars left, that make big money. Shania and Faith realized it yet.....about time for the Chicks for another break.....

Let's see who'll make the BIG money then.......

*blue*

Chris Gaines
08-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Well, if I didn't know Country Music business is a big joke, I knew if after the nominations of the Entertainer of the Year.

Folks, Country is DEAD! The Chicks are one of those "old" stars left, that make big money. Shania and Faith realized it yet.....about time for the Chicks for another break.....

Let's see who'll make the BIG money then.......

*blue*
I'll put my money on Kenny Chesney...

with a Xmas album coming out soon.. plus he's working on a new studio album to be released in the spring that will also put him back on the road in April...

Yup, my money's on Kenny Chesney to be "top tour getter" sometime in the near future.

Carol Ann
08-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Here in Canada, all our local country radio station can talk about is the fact that Shania got shut out of the CMA's. They were discussing that topic on air the day after the nominations came out and Faith was also brought up because she too was shut out. Shania they didn't understand but what I found interesting was the DJ said that he wasn't surprised with Faith because "even though Faith never said it, her album clearly was not country". I wondered why Faith wouldn't want to just come out and say it was a pop album and not a country album and I realized it was because she wants to play both sides of the fence when it comes to recognition and awards. I guess if this pop thing doesn't work out she wants to come running back to country. I'm glad she got shut out as well as Shania. I also don't think it should matter how many records you sold. I think it should be about the product you put out, the lyrics, the voice etc. It bugs me to keep hearing how many records they sold. Quantity doesn't always equal quality. The other thing that annoyed the heck out of me and I emailed the station was that here is Terri Clark, a great artist and performer who also happens to be Canadian, and has just received her first CMA nomination and the station is diminishing that in favour of whining about Shania's shut out. Terri deserves to be in the spotlight for once, especially in her native country and I think her talents are overlooked in some respects because of the Shania craze. I just don't understand it and I apologize for venting.

Carol Ann

ObsessedwithGarth
08-28-2003, 03:47 PM
I would have to agree that Kenny is going to have to be the front runner for the money maker.Since Tim is going to cut down on his touring at the end of next year.(The headline announcing this didn't set well with me, but I guess they have to sell papers some how.)

As far as Faith and Shania being left out. Shania really hasn't done that much since her sons birth, has she?I love her latest song, and of course hubby loves the video, or I should say the dress.;)As for Faith, didn't she catch a lot of flack when her album came out for saying that she didn't care if it was played on country radio or not, it was pop?I know that the local radio stations kept saying that she did, and had numerous call in shows for ppl to voice their opinion.

Myself, I would like to see Terri Clark win female vocalist.She is a very beautiful woman with a great voice.If not her, Martina is my second choice.

TrishaNGarthFan
08-30-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm with you Carol Ann! I just wish Terri Clark could win it for once! She sure is deserving...

Sue

I thought the list of Female Vocalist nominees was very interesting. It seems to me the Academy is trying to make a point. All I know for sure is that I'm glad there are two names missing from that list of nominees, cough, Faith, cough, Shania.

Carol Ann