PDA

View Full Version : Older artists on country radio....

ProducerJ
08-18-2003, 01:17 PM
There's always that controversy about the "legends" of country music, the older artists that don't get airplay. (Here in Nashville, people are lucky, because all four country channels mix in music from the 70's and 80's, with WSM-AM going back further than that of course.)

Anyway, this was in CMT's Hot Talk this week... it was an interesting perspective I'd never thought of. Thoughts?

"there are plenty of 'older' artists being played on country radio. You just don't think of them as old. George Strait is now 51; Brooks & Dunn are 48 and 50, respectively; I had no idea! Patty Loveless is 46; Alan Jackson is 44; Toby Keith is 42; and Garth Brooks is 41."

Buddy Jewell is 41, Jeff Bates is 38 or 39... Martina's closer to 40 than 30... Maybe the phase of the young country baby acts is over?

Zack
08-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Also, Darryl Worley is pushing 40 as well.

GriggsGarthGirl
08-18-2003, 08:46 PM
They're old, but are they legends? I don't think age alone makes you a legend. I think when they say "older artists" they mean the people who were making music in the 70s or before that. The people who made country music what it is today. Not just people who make country music and happen to be old.

ProducerJ
08-18-2003, 09:25 PM
No I don't think it does either. I used the term legends 'cause that's what the local radio stations use (Today's best country and the all time country legends!) but really, it's two separate issues - the older artists (aka Waylon, Willie, Loretta and the gang) and the 'bubble gum country' Music Row was trying to push down our throats for a while (Billy Gilman, Jessica Andrews, Lila McCann ... a bunch of teen boy bands that never made it...)

Ok, really... I'm just shocked to see that Ronnie Dunn is 50! And I didn't realize Darryl Worley was pushing 40 either. It's nice to see people with life experience singing those cheatin' and drinkin' songs.
;)

fuzzwuzz
08-19-2003, 11:06 PM
And keep you eyes and ears open for a mid-thirties S. Florida country singer named Bruce Austin. Like Ty England, he won't give up, and I do believe he's gonna reap some big benefits from his fight for his music. Plus I'm helping him. :)

Garthfan92
08-20-2003, 10:21 PM
I didn't realize Ronnie was that old either, until it was mentioned on the radio the other day. When I think older artists though, I also think of the true legends. Anyone else listen to the Country Gold show on Saturdays? I catch a little of it some weeks. I know quite a few stations carry it. If you're into the traditional, older country, you'll hear plenty of it on that show!

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
08-21-2003, 12:12 AM
Tonight was the first casting call for Bruce Austin's first music video to be filmed at the Rock' in Horse rather than Nashville. Me and a friend signed up! We'll know in a few weeks. Also, a guy from the Pineapple Festival was there. Looks like Bruce is gonna open for Juice Newton on Nov.14th! And I'm keeping in touch with the local paper and radio so they realize country music is alive and well and on the rise in Martin County, and that it's what the people want and are craving. I hope there are alot more out there like Bruce willing to go the extra mile to get it to the people. And it's so cool to me how I got to be part of helping to make it happen. We'll see where it goes. I'll share some photos soon. :)

fuzzwuzz
08-30-2003, 01:08 AM
I've got some pictures up of Bruce Austin finally. Though only South Florida has mostly heard of him on the radio, he'll always be a good friend to me! I forgot to mention too the cool way he signed his cd to me, that HE is MY fan, and that "nobody owns you but you". :)

http://groups.msn.com/AllGarthFamily/friendsinlowplaces.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=183

For preceeding pics:
http://groups.msn.com/AllGarthFamily/friendsinlowplaces.msnw?Page=1

fuzzwuzz
09-03-2003, 01:18 AM
I added just a few more interesting pics from The Rock'in Horse. I'm kinda hoping to find out tomorrow night that me and my friend Kristin will be welcome in Bruce's coming video there. All they'll have to do is film us all having fun! Which is never a problem with Bruce around to provide us non-stop good country music. :)

http://groups.msn.com/AllGarthFamily/friendsinlowplaces.msnw?Page=2