PDA

View Full Version : Deep dark and depressing, anyone?

ProducerJ
06-24-2003, 08:44 PM
One Last Time: Dusty Drake.
Written by Jason Matthews and Kerry Kurt Phillips

When she picked up the telephone,
His voice came on the line.
She said: "This can't be happening,"
An' tears fell from her eyes.
She said: "What am I supposed to do?
"I can't handle losin' you."
He said: "I just had to call to say goodbye,
"One last time."

He said: "There are some things in this life,
"That are out of our control.
"Like who we fall in love with,
"And when it's time to go."
An' she said: "What about the plans we had?"
He said: "This connection's gettin' bad."
"Now c'mon baby, let me hear you smile,
"One last time."

She started to apologise,
For all the things that she'd done wrong.
She said: "I would have loved you better.
"If only I'd known."
He said: "You were the perfect wife:
"Promise me you'll go on with your life."
She said: "The boys won't understand."
He said: "Tell 'em Daddy loves 'em and, be strong, whoa."

He said: "Honey, I've gotta go."
She said: "Don't you dare hang up.
"There's so many things I need to say.
"I love you so much."
I was almost like she felt him leave.
She cried out: "Can you still hear me?"
She fell down on the kitchen floor,
When the signal died,
As the pilot tried to pull out of the dive.
One last......

Vanessa
06-24-2003, 11:59 PM
I cried the first time I heard this song.. very powerful and moving.. imo.. it could be a tribute to all of the heroes on the plane that went down in PA on 9/11..

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

GriggsGarthGirl
06-25-2003, 11:56 AM
This is another song that I do not like at all. The story is that it's inspired by, but not based on, the events of 9/11. However, I remember hearing about the phone calls made from the planes and I don't remember any of them being that selfish when they got the call. Most of the people who got calls updated those on the plane as to what was going on. As well as giving them the courage to take down the plane. The woman in this song only cares about how it will affect her. Ticks me off every time I hear it. Not to mention the fact that I'm disgusted by all of these artists who use 9/11 as a selling tool. That's just inexcusable.

fuzzwuzz
06-25-2003, 10:29 PM
But the music has always been more than about the $$$ to most of us. Those benefits are worth much more at "the Bank" in the final scheme of things. Know what I mean? ;)

GriggsGarthGirl
06-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Well, I don't get any money from listening to music so it's definitely always worth more than money to me. But, some of these artists are making a big buck off a national tragedy and that's inexcusable, at least in my book.

Chris Gaines
06-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Guess you don't like Bruce Springsteen then.

After all his whole ablum is more or less about it.

You have to remember these arists are writers. They write about what "moves them" and that event was a huge movement for any writer.

It don't mean that they are trying to make money "off the tragedy" they are just trying to reflect what's going on "to them" at this point in their own personal life.

As you know Bruce Springsteen is from New Jersey, and has many friends in New York.

Just remember, it's not them making money from the event itself, they just trying to put words to people and words to song, on what is affecting them at this point in their life.

Some people are journalists. Do you get mad cause CNN talked about the events? You know they made money on it from ads.

You get mad because Newspapers type about it?
You know they did sell newspapers the days after the event.

Why slam artists for just doing what they are put on Earth to do?

ProducerJ
06-26-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks Jason, you saved me a bunch of typing.

I totally see where you're coming from Amy, and I agree that some of these efforts seem more sincere than others. BUT.... as a human being, as an American, after Sept. 11th I called my family, emailed my friends, posted on the internet. That was MY outlet. For the first time in years I missed working in TV news. If I had the talent to write songs - and I don't - I would hope I would have used it to get through that horrible time, and help others do likewise.

In the course of my daily life when my daughter says something I consider to be just brilliant, I call my mom and share. If I'm Buddy Jewell, I write a song about it. When something deeply profound, or deeply troubling is keeping me up at night, I wait till morning and call my minister. If I'm Alan Jackson I get up in the middle of the night and write a song about it.

Those who succeed at this financially are those who actually help people heal. Who write words that speak to people's hearts, without giving them the heebee jeebies that they're just cashing in. Yes, it's what they do for a living, and they do it well. Those who aren't doing it for the right reasons aren't going to get heard, people see through them, and ultimately won't wind up lining their pockets either.
More than my 7 cents...
J.

GriggsGarthGirl
06-26-2003, 01:02 AM
If I believed that Dusty Drake truly recorded the song as a way to help heal the nation. If I truly believed that, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. If I felt he was singing it purely because it needs to be sung, it wouldn't be an issue. But with all these country artists seemingly jumping on the bandwagon after it worked for Alan Jackson I have to question their motives. I don't see why I wouldn't.

Bruce Springsteen, is a completely different story and it's an insult to him to compare his music, his songs to this Dusty Drake song. As you said Bruce lives in the area. He was effected by that day in a very personal way. Yes, I know in some ways we were all effected--I know I was. But, I'd never write a song about it. Never. I'd never pretend to know what it was like/what they were thinking on that plane. Uh-uh. Not my place to speculate. And to have it as a debut single. You can't help but think that it was merely for the attention it would stir up.

To compare it to newspapers reporting on the event is absolutely beyond comprehension to me. There's a big difference from reporting the news and milking a story for money. All these artists now are just toying with our emotions and making us believe that if we don't support their personal 9/11 song we either don't care or have forgotten about that day. We haven't forgotten, we'll never forget. But it should be time for us to move on from it and have the chance to turn on the radio and not hear another song about that day.

How many songs have you heard that were written about Pearl Harbor? Don't think there were any. As Americans we do not dwell on the past. We move on, we become stronger. We need to move on. Never forget, but move on.

It is my own personal opinion. Never suggested anyone had to agree with me. But you could at least respect my right to feel this way. Just because it's not your own opinion doesn't mean it's wrong.

Paula
06-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by GriggsGarthGirl
It is my own personal opinion. Never suggested anyone had to agree with me. But you could at least respect my right to feel this way. Just because it's not your own opinion doesn't mean it's wrong. You're absolutely right and I don't think anyone wasn't respecting your opinion (did I just use a double negataive?). I only saw differing opinions. It's the way you feel, and you have every right to feel that way.

Paula

fuzzwuzz
06-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Amy, I just wanna say that not everybody is ready to move forward as if this tragedy never happened. In fact, we are all bound together in our pain as we learn how to overcome it. The music helps us escape and heal together. It is a gift from above worth much more than dollars and cents in what it can do. And it must stay honest and true to real life. If some are falsely making money while being used for good, well, they have a date with their Maker same as me. At least they are doing it.