PDA

View Full Version : Who would you vote for if you could?

ProducerJ
06-22-2003, 12:43 AM
I'm sitting here staring at my CMA first round ballot, which is little more than a piece of paper with a bunch of blanks on it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on who you'd write in for these categories!

This is the first of 3 ballots. Everyone who gets 10 write in votes makes it to the 2nd ballot.

Eligibility Period is July 1, 2002 - June 30, 2003. Which isn't quite done yet, is it? Ballots are due back first week in July I think.

Don't go anywhere, categories coming up next!

ProducerJ
06-22-2003, 01:02 AM
Entertainer of the Year
...greatest competence in all aspects of the entertainment field... consideration not only to recorded performance but also to the in-person performance, staging, public acceptance, attitude, leadership, and overall contribution to the country music image... yada yada yada...

Single of the Year
...must have been released deomstically for the first time during the eligibility period...

Album of the Year
...album as a whole unit... artists performance, musical background, engineering, packaging, design, art, layout, and liner notes... 60% of the product first mastered or released domestically during eligibility period.

Song of the Year
2002 winner "Where Were You..." is ineligible... award for the songwriters... yada yada yada...

Female Vocalist of the Year

Male Vocalist of the Year

Vocal Group of the Year
...3 or more people who normally perofrm together none of whom are known as an individual performing artist...

Vocal Duo of the Year
have you read my editorial on this one?

Vocal Event of the Year
...2 or more people, either or all of whom are known primarily as an individual artist.... you gotta give the recording for which they are nominated on this one....

Musician of the Year
instrumental performer... you gotta give an album or single which they performed which was a top 10 country album or single from Billboard or R&R - I think this chart qualification is new. I wrote in Jimmy for Scarecrow last year, LOL

Music Video of the Year
...not more than 10 minutes in length... doesn't say if CMT had to actually air it, LOL

Horizon Award
...bunch of stuff in here that basically says you can't have posed for playboy or won a CMA before.

Y'all thought this was gonna be easy didn't you?

DISCLAIMER: this is purely for discussion purposes and is in no way shape or form being used to influence my CMA votes, nor will I be telling who I voted for.

GBsgirl
06-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Here's my choices most of which don't a snowballs chance of winning LOL:

Entertainer: Keith Urban

Single: Somebody Like You

Album : Don't have a clue on this one.

Song: ????????????

Female: Martina McBride

Male: Keith Urban

Vocal Group: Diamond Rio

Duo: ????????????

Event: Whiskey For My Men, Beer For My Horses

Video: Somebody Like You

Horizan: Joe Nichols ( can't remember if he won this already)

Pam
Proud Air Force Wife

Carol Ann
06-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Joyce, after reading your post I realized a very sad fact and that is that I can't think of one person who jumps to mind quickly that I think deserves to win above and beyond anyone else. I can't think of a song or an artist that has grabbed me over the past year and, in fact, I find I channel surf past the country stations a lot more because I keep hearing the same old tired stuff over and over. I find since Garth has retired and radio seems to think Trisha doesn't fit their format that I am loosing interest and that scares me. The only category I think I could say for sure that somebody needs to win in is the vocal duo or group and I'd give that to Diamond Rio. I think they have been overlooked far too long and the songs off their new album are really, really good.

Carol Ann

Chris Gaines
06-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by GBsgirl
Event: Whiskey For My Men, Beer For My Horses
That song is simply called "Beer For My Horses" :)

Jason

GriggsGarthGirl
06-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Entertainer of the Year--"The Natalie Maines and Toby Keith show"--it is the most interesting thing about country music right now :rolleyes:
Single--"19 Something" by Mark Wills
Album--"Home" by the Dixie Chicks
Song--"I'm Moving On" by Rascal Flatts (if it's still eligable)
Female Vocalist--Martina McBride
Male Vocalist--Andy Griggs
Vocal Group of the Year--Rascal Flatts
Vocal Duo--Bellamy Brothers ;)
Vocal event of the year--"The Truth About Men"--Tracy Byrd/Montgomery Gentry/Blake Shelton and Andy Griggs
Music Video--"These Days" by Rascal Flatts
Horizon Award--Andy Griggs

Chris Gaines
06-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Entertainer of the Year- Tie: Toby Keith & Dixie Chicks
You might not wanna admit it but both have awesome live shows, and both are drawing in fans because of their so-called "fued"

Single- "Raining On Sunday" by keith urban

Album- "Golden Road" by keith urban

Song- "Have You Forgotten" by Darryl Worley

Female Vocalist- Terry Clark

Male Vocalist- George Strait

Vocal Group of the Year- Alabama (give them their last deserving award for all they did for country music)

Vocal Duo- Brooks & Dunn

Vocal event of the year--"Beer For My Horses"-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

Music Video--"Raining On Sunday" by keith urban

Horizon Award- Kellie Coffey

GBShameless
06-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Entertainer of the Year - Toby Keith

Single of the Year - "Why Ain't I Running" or "Picture"

Album of the Year - Not sure

Song of the Year - Chrome

Female Vocalist of the Year - Martin McBride

Male Vocalist of the Year - Toby Keith

Vocal Group of the Year - Lonestar or Rascal Flatts

Vocal Duo of the Year - Brooks and Dunn

Vocal Event of the Year- Kid Rock and Sheryl Crowe - "Picture"

Musician of the Year - Not sure

Music Video of the Year - Picture

Horizon Award - Buddy Jewell

Robin :) :)

Chris Gaines
06-22-2003, 07:09 PM
I don't believe in giving a NON-Country artist a country award.. just me.. but Picture is a pop/rock song played on country radio :p

LOL
Jason

ProducerJ
06-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks everyone, you've thrown out some good ideas!

I think this will be Darryl Worley's year. Nothing has come close to touching that song as far as impact. Toby and Willie are fresher in the viewers minds though. I suspect it will NOT be the Chicks year....

You know, if there's any justice in the world, or at least the CMA, Willie will get an entertainer of the year nomination. Between Farm Aid, his tour dates, his videos, all the music he keeps cranking out, the USA network concert / special and the duets with LeeAnn and Toby, the man is working harder than everyone else put together.

I'd just like to see a few new names in with the usual suspects.

Amy, honey I know you love Andy, but where has that boy disappeared to?
J.

GriggsGarthGirl
06-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Andy's still out there--he ain't going away anytime soon. He's currently working on his 3rd CD which they're hoping to have out in the fall, but I have a feeling it'll be closer to the spring. Rumor has it that the first single will be out in late summer. Don't know what it'll be yet. He's got 3 new producers--Darrell Scott, Marcus Hummon and Randy Scruggs so it should be an amazing CD. Those are 3 very, very talented artists and I get the feeling the CD will be more bluegrassy/traditional country sounding and I'm very excited about that! Haven't heard any of the new music yet, so I'm just making that assumption based on the producers and what they've done in the past. That's the music Andy loves and it's the music he should be making. Keepin' my fingers crossed that radio likes it.

I'll be seeing Andy this Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait! Haven't seen him since February--way too long--lol.

Chris Gaines
06-23-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by GriggsGarthGirl
Rumor has it that the first single will be out in late summer. That won't happen if they push the album date to spring... long long time to work on the album though LOL

Thanks for the update :)
jason

GriggsGarthGirl
06-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Well hopefully it won't be pushed back to Spring. It's just my assumption that it will be since RCA pushed back the release of Andy's last CD about a million times before it finally came out. I'd love to see a late fall release--just in time for Christmas. I just don't wanna get my hopes up too high.

ProducerJ
06-24-2003, 06:51 PM
I just read about Andy's divorce. :(

Interesting the way RCA didn't do anything worth a darn with Freedom. I will never understand how a label can put zillions of dollars off an album and then do nothing with it. Why his duet with Martina wasn't a huge smash, I just don't understand. He's a talented guy, I have a feeling he's in it for the long haul.
J.

Chris Gaines
06-24-2003, 07:22 PM
he same way RCA dumped Alabama and making them retire.. I guess

ProducerJ
06-24-2003, 08:43 PM
LOL - Alabama's retiring before they kill each other.

Chris Gaines
06-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
LOL - Alabama's retiring before they kill each other.
Not from what I heard...

RCA wouldn't re-new their contract (since it was up) and Alabama didn't want to sign with an other label because they been with RCA since the getgo, so they formally retired.

GriggsGarthGirl
06-24-2003, 09:22 PM
The divorce news is quite sad, but it sounds like it's for the best. I'll have to give him an extra hug when I see him on Sunday. I'm sure his heart is hurting.

I'm still mad at RCA for not trying for a 4th single from Freedom. There were so many songs on there that would've done well if they were just given a chance.

Really excited about the new CD, his new producers and his new management team. Hopefully this will be the winning combination. Hopefully.

Teaser210
06-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Is Carolyn Dawn Johnson elligible for the Horizon award? I know she won the Canadian version... Anyway she's written a number of #1's for other artists, like Single White Female for Chely Wright, and her Room With a View album has a number of well recieved singles. I love the songs that were never released as singles as much as the ones that were.

I'd be looking for casting a few votes her way.

ProducerJ
06-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Hadn't heard the RCA rumor with Alabama! That's funny. As recently as Fan Fair Randy was saying they'd still record music, they just weren't going to tour until his youngest daughter turned 18... no wait...maybe it was his granddaughter...LOL. MAN I feel old!

I was at the birthday party not so long ago of one of the guys who I will leave nameless, and I learned more than I wanted to about the dynamics of those four. I am just a huge fan of their music, and was in love with Randy from the time I was about 10 until the day I met his wife, (and felt horribly guilty about it) I understand that sometimes, you gotta move one, but I thank them for all the great music!

Randy, I heard, did a lot of press at this movie premiere tonight, in conjunction with the donation to St. Jude. All four of them were there, although I never managed to see one of them. I should start an Alabama thread, there's a good article I just read a few days ago that would be a good base for discussion.

J. <-- still hasn't done her CMA ballot. that WAS the point of this thread right? to motivate my pen to get moving? LOL

Paula
06-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
J. <-- still hasn't done her CMA ballot. that WAS the point of this thread right? to motivate my pen to get moving? LOL ...and speaking of motivating that pen, it's been over a month since your last column missy.:p

Paula

ProducerJ
06-26-2003, 10:08 AM
ohhhhh I know. You are like the little voice on my shoulder that tells me I need to get it done. I was thinking of you last night when I was thinking what good stuff the movie premiere would make for a column, and then remembered I never put a fan fair one up. ugh.

fuzzwuzz
06-26-2003, 09:02 PM
I should like to know please what does go on behind Alabama. :)