PDA

View Full Version : A True Garth Friend

YODELGAL
06-18-2003, 10:50 PM
I am now sufficiently recovered from the surprise to share it all with you. Here Goes.

It was Mother's Day, 2003, which also happened to be my 40th wedding anniversary, and one week after my 65th birthday. I was performing at the California Old Time Fiddlers Association's monthly gathering/performance/jam session for an audience of about 200. We each get to do three songs on stage. My Garth buddy, Alexa, was, as she oftn is, in the audience (and I attend her softball games). Afterward, she said she had to get home, but that she had some blank tapes in her car (I'd been taping Garth stuff for her), and would I walk out to her car with her? She then asked to borrow my cell phone, to call someone at work. As we walked to her car, she talked in a low voice on the phone. We reached her car, and she said "the tapes are in the back." She lifted up the hatchback, and there, before my eyes, was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

It was a banner, three feet by five feet, of the Scarecrow album cover, made of a vinyl, plastic-like material! It was so big that the sides were still rolled up.......

And smack dab in the middle of the banner, was an autograph! It said: "Stephanie, to yodelgal, thanks for the star (smiley face). God Bless. Garth Brooks."

Alexa had told me that she found the banner (used for advertising) in a music store in January, had contacted Mary Liz and asked if MaryLiz could get an autograph on it for me. So she sent it to Mary Liz (who lives in Wyoming), who obtained the autograph for me when she recently visited Garth....

...AND IT WAS MARYLIZ ON THE CELL PHONE! She wanted to be in on the surprise (and so she was). So Alexa snapped a few pictures (I was so in shock that I didn't even notice at the time), while I admired the gift and talked to MaryLiz. I think I hugged Alexa about ten times. What a great friend! And Maryliz, you are an amazing friend, to go to all that trouble for someone you've never met.

The banner now hangs in our family room (my husband, God Bless him, inserted screws in the fireplace brick wall for the hanging) and it now overlooks the area where my little grandchildren play. And I can see it everyday from where I have my breakfast.

That is the best gift I have ever received. Thank you, Alexa, for keeping the secret for so long, and for springing it on me so perfectly. And thank you, MaryLiz, for travelling to Oklahoma to ask Garth to sign it for me, who he has never met.

And love to Garth, who took precious time out from his own schedule, to make a stranger happy.

Stephanie

Garthmedic
06-18-2003, 11:22 PM
What a sweet story! How very cool of our PG family to go to the extra mile for each other.

--spud--:)

Garth_FANtasizer
06-19-2003, 09:47 AM
That was very sweet of Alexa and Mary Liz. Garth sure knows how to make it even more special by giving it a personal touch!

~Ann~

GB2PinaColadas
06-19-2003, 01:14 PM
How sweet!! :)

GBheartandsoul
06-19-2003, 06:07 PM
What a wonderful surprise! They were so sweet to do that for you.
Very cool!

Seira:)

wmcinnis
06-19-2003, 07:04 PM
What a great thing for your friend and Mary Liz to do for you Stephanie:) It must be great to have a friend that gets it.
My friends just think I'm obsessed;)
-Susan-

Garthfan92
06-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Stephanie, that's so cool! You have a couple of Garth Angels for sure!

Lisa

YODELGAL
06-20-2003, 03:42 AM
Susan, the trick is to have garthnutt friends who will do such a thing for you. My non_garthnutt friends think I'm obsessed, too. However, some of them are beginning to understand, when they hear me perform a Garth song, then want to know who recorded it, so they could get a copy. Ha! I get 'em, then. "Oh", I say, airily, "That's a Garth Brooks song. Really great, isn't it?"

And thanks for the kind words, everybody. It's so nice that you all understand, without having to explain any further!

Stephanie

Jude
06-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Wow - great story.

Jude