PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Surfing

Paula
06-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Sound familiar? Can't say I agree with them saying that Ronnie started it...I'm not even sure if Garth was the first to do it.
MEANWHILE, RONNIE DUNN STARTS NEW WAVE OF STAGE DIVING

Remember a couple of weeks back when Ronnie Dunn decided to stage dive in Spokane and liked it as he was passed hand-over-hand around the crowd?

Well, after their show this weekend in Raleigh at the Long Branch Saloon, Dunn did it again and got a bunch more folks involved.

"They may've been doing it in Seattle for years," laughs Dunn, "but when we catch on to something in country music, we do it in a BIG way. And I have, as I've told a bunch of people, never experienced anything like it. The sensation of being passed over the crowd.... Just lowering yourself into them, then trusting them to not letting anything happen to you. They were very gentle... passing me over their heads all the way to the back of the room, then back around to return me to the stage, where they deposited me on my feet and I finished 'Ain't Livin' Long' like I do it every day."

DETAILS - Before long other Neon Circus acts got into the act with Brad Paisley, Aaron Lines, Jeff Bates and the guys of Rascal Flatts all surfing the crowd.

"It takes a little faith to do it," says Dunn of the craze he's inspired. "But it's the kind of thing that once you do it, you wanna do it again and again. Look for more to come... and know if you run away with the Circus, you'll never know what might happen next!"...from countrystars.com

Paula

Lowell Miller
06-18-2003, 11:38 PM
That's an ol rock and roll trick. Garth was the first country star brave enough to do it. :mad:

ProducerJ
06-18-2003, 11:56 PM
oh my, Neil Haislop has been following Garth long enough to know better! Anyone have a picture of Garth crowd surfing that we can email him?

J.

Monica Lockhart
06-19-2003, 12:21 AM
I think I do J...

I'll email it to you!

Moni

Chris Gaines
06-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Joyce,

Look on ther Double Live (Ireland) copy.. it's there :)

Jason

ProducerJ
06-19-2003, 07:48 AM
I have Central Park.
J.

Garth_FANtasizer
06-19-2003, 09:27 AM
I'll bet Rachael has one! ;)

~Ann~

Chris Gaines
06-19-2003, 11:15 AM
here Joyce...

:)

Jason

Chris Gaines
06-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Photo #2..

:)

Jason

GB2PinaColadas
06-19-2003, 01:07 PM
I heard about that! Interesting.. but do you think they are trying to copy Garth's "concert style"... since he's retired and Brooks n' Dunn may want a litle "boost" in their performance?

Chris Gaines
06-19-2003, 01:41 PM
on a little personal experience, I think B-n-D have always had a great live show...

Kix has always been known to go out in the audience and LINE DANCE or Dance with some Girl in the crowd LOL

It's kinda cool :)

Jason

GriggsGarthGirl
06-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Since the whole article is about folks on the Neon Circus tour crowd surfing, I think it makes sense to give Ronnie credit for starting the craze. If it moves beyond that group then they should give the original credit to Garth, but just within the Neon Circus Ronnie did start it.

Personally, I don't like beach balls going through the crowd--I definitely don't want a person floating over my head--lol.

GBheartandsoul
06-19-2003, 05:54 PM
I also think Garth was the first country star to do it. I loved it when he did it in Ireland. I remember a thread where it was talked about and I think someone mentioned that Garth cautioned the crowd to be careful where they put their hands.;) I also remember seeing footage of another time Garth was being held up by a crowd. This was awhile ago when Jane Pauley interviewed him and they showed this footage. The crowd(I think it was outside) was allowed to be right near the stage and Garth had his back to them at the edge of the stage and just went over into the crowd. Everybody tried to put their hand on him, but I don't know if they actually moved him around.

Seira:)

ProducerJ
06-19-2003, 07:22 PM
thanks Jason - photo #2 is perfect.
J.

Chris Gaines
06-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
thanks Jason - photo #2 is perfect.
J.

You're welcome Joyce! :)

Let us know what he has to say about that! :)

Jason

Paula
06-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks Lowell...I figured there were others who may have done it before Garth.
I heard about that! Interesting.. but do you think they are trying to copy Garth's "concert style"... since he's retired and Brooks n' Dunn may want a litle "boost" in their performance?Brooks and Dunn don't need a boost in their performance. They put on a terrific show...very energetic and entertaining. I saw them in May and will be seeing them again at the end of August, the first as part of the Neon Circus and the second as a "simple" concert. Jason's right about Kix...he always pulls a girl out of the audience and dances with her, sometimes right on the floor and other times on stage.
Since the whole article is about folks on the Neon Circus tour crowd surfing, I think it makes sense to give Ronnie credit for starting the craze. If it moves beyond that group then they should give the original credit to Garth, but just within the Neon Circus Ronnie did start it.This particular article was about the rest of the Neon Circus performers joining in, but his first crowd surfing experience was a week or so prior to this. I think we need to set the story straight that Ronnie wasn't the first to do this;)...not that I wouldn't mind being in the audience as he was passed overhead.:D
I also remember seeing footage of another time Garth was being held up by a crowd. This was awhile ago when Jane Pauley interviewed him and they showed this footage. The crowd(I think it was outside) was allowed to be right near the stage and Garth had his back to them at the edge of the stage and just went over into the crowd. Everybody tried to put their hand on him, but I don't know if they actually moved him around.
You're right Seira...and I think that was footage of the Dublin concert that is pictured on the Double Live cover. If I remember correctly, the song he performed during that was The River.

Paula

GBheartandsoul
06-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Paula, the footage I mentioned wasn't from the Ireland concert. This was before that. I'm pretty sure it was in the U.S., but I don't recall right now the song he was singing. The Jane Pauley interview took place back in the early 90's.

Seira:)

G-f
06-19-2003, 08:33 PM
================================================== =======
I also think Garth was the first country star to do it. I loved it when he did it in Ireland. I remember a thread where it was talked about and I think someone mentioned that Garth cautioned the crowd to be careful where they put their hands.
================================================== ======

He could caution all he wanted to, if I were in the crowd I would certainly enjoy whatever I could grab and hold onto....lol Some folks are just SOOOOOO lucky. Can you imagine in the 2nd picture that Jason posted, being right in the center and sending him on HAND BY HAND FROM HEAD TO TOE!!!!! OMG.... I would never wash my hands again. Might would figure he didn't need one of those back pockets on his pants and pull one off for a sovenier. Wonder if he would hang autographed it...lol
Tricia

Garthfan92
06-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Garth must have been the first in country to do it. It must be pretty funny to have all the guys trying it now. If they all do it in the same show, I guess the crowd gets a work out by the end! lol

Lisa

GB2PinaColadas
06-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Ahh.. I wanna just make sure to let you know that.. I'm not against the crowd surfing.. but I'm just surprised about it - I just think that's cool - I saw Brooks n' Dunn last month - and yes - I thought it was awesome about Kix pulling out a girl onstage and dancing with her... that was just really neat to watch!! :)

FlutterBy98
06-20-2003, 01:02 AM
the country folks can trust their audience. the rockers are taking their lives into their own hands LOLOLOL they could wind up in the mosh pit.

CountryBee
06-21-2003, 02:35 AM
If I remember correctly, Garth said that he had always wanted to do the crowd surfing after he saw his idol, Billy Joel, do it many years ago in concert. After seeing Garth do the crowd surfing in Ireland, I wondered why he didn't try it at the Central Park concert?
Bee