PDA

View Full Version : Quote: Get Trisha back to work and bring Garth with her!

ProducerJ
06-17-2003, 04:40 PM
This is an excerpt from Jimmy Carter's collumn at AllAccess.com. He's pretty riled up about the (sad) state of country radio today. I love the way he speaks his mind!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Stars, like Chet says, need to get off their rich asses first and foremost. This taking off all the time and hanging at the beach house is not getting it done for this industry. We need more working Willies and fewer sleepy Georges cutting his songs at home on his laptop. WE need our biggest stars to get out there and be seen and heard. George on the Today Show concert series would be great. Get Trisha back to work and bring Garth with her. Get Tim and Faith refocused on getting Country in the news and less on their film careers, which are vanity/ego things anyway.

(Sorry Tim & Faith, but you are not going to be the next Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. You can be George and Tammy, though!)

Get folks like Pat Green and Rick Trevino growing the Texas audience and get some artist who will push the industry again like The Mavericks. Push the limits. Hire some more Chesneys with sex appeal to satisfy that crowd. Figure a way to get around this radio gauntlet. Endorse XM and Sirius if the industry has to. They do a GREAT job ... It's all George Jones ever listens too! The labels and artist would benefit and maybe force radio to compete again...

Country music needs leadership. It's as simple as that. Get me a Jimmy Bowen! Someone who is not scared to rock the boat.

beckysue59
06-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Amen, Jimmy! :applause:

GBronx
06-17-2003, 09:36 PM
[i]Country music needs leadership. It's as simple as that. Get me a Jimmy Bowen! Someone who is not scared to rock the boat. [/B]

I don't think I know who Mr. Bowen is but I'll vote for him too
if he can do the job!!! :D

Thanks for sharing Joyce!!

Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

OHMichelle
06-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
Hire some more Chesneys with sex appeal to satisfy that crowd. Figure a way to get around this radio gauntlet.

Kenny Chesney.... sexy... this IS a joke.... right????

ProducerJ
06-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by GBronx
I don't think I know who Mr. Bowen is but I'll vote for him too
if he can do the job!!! :D
Go watch your Inside Fame episode again! :p
J.

Harriet
06-17-2003, 11:01 PM
George on the Today Show concert series, now that's funny! It is widely known in these parts that George won't set foot in any market he feels is not supportive of country music,which is why he has yet to play here in NYC, or much of the northeast... unfortunately, he does not share Garth's faith in the people.. radio has forsaken us, but we remain loyal to the music... I wish the labels would squawk a little louder about their artists being denied access to such a huge market...
Jo, Mr. Bowen was the head of Capitol a number of years ago, pre-Hendricks, Quigley, and Dungan... he was the guy who told Garth that he didn't deserve a "Michael Jackson deal" cause he hadn't been around as long as MJ... he was in the Inside Fame special...

as for Jimmy Carter, he will always hold a special place in my heart because his is so big... a very unselfish man... I haven't known where to find his writings in a long time, so thanks, Joyce! When we were in Nashville for FF, I saw him doing a report on one of the local newscasts and it was so good to see him!

Harriet

GBronx
06-17-2003, 11:02 PM
oops!!#-o

Grandma Mind like a sive!!!

Harriet
06-17-2003, 11:08 PM
I had trouble posting and then it shows up twice! sorry! I tried to delete the 2nd one, but it wouldn't let me! I guess a moderator will take care of it... I didn't do it on purpose!
Harriet

Garthfan92
06-17-2003, 11:25 PM
I'd love nothing more, but I know Garth is where he needs to be right now. Jimmy sure is right about the state of country music though!

Lisa

Vanessa
06-18-2003, 12:04 AM
garth'll come back to us..it'll be on his time..not ours ;) and Gods too!

I happen to find kenny good looking and such..but thats another story.. ;)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

wmcinnis
06-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by ProducerJ

(Sorry Tim & Faith, but you are not going to be the next Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. You can be George and Tammy, though!)

:D This cracked me up:D I like this guys style....thanks Joyce!
-Susan-

beckysue59
06-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by OHMichelle
Kenny Chesney.... sexy... this IS a joke.... right????

I'm afraid I have to agree with you OHMichelle. I've never quite understood that either.:-?

TammyLS
06-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey I like the sound of that-at least SOMEONE is fighting to put the COUNTRY back in country music! I mean, there are way to many non country sounding artists getting all the airplay on country stations, while the TRUE Country artists, Like Trisha(just for one) don't get the airtime they deserve! As for bringing Garth back, maybe not for good, but maybe here and there-that would be GREAT!
Kenny-sexy? Oh I get it-its a joke right? I will say he has bulked up, but not my taste.
As for Tim and Faith-I wish she would just sing country and stop worrying about what she looks like, ect....

OHMichelle
06-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by beckysue59
I'm afraid I have to agree with you OHMichelle. I've never quite understood that either.:-?

Do this... get a real good visual of a turtle sticking his head out of his shell and he's looking straight at you.... Got the picture?

Doesn't Kenny Chesney look like a turtle?!

Okay... about Jimmy Bowen... back in '97 he published a book called "Rough Mix". At the time I remember it getting some edged reviews, especially by GB fans. I found it a really good read. In my opinion, it have a good insight into the music industry. You can find them pretty cheap used these days on amazon and half.com. Just more info for you guys wondering who Jimmy Bowen is.

Cheers!

fuzzwuzz
06-19-2003, 11:37 PM
I have that book and I did not like Mr. Bowen's apparent disrespect for Garth. He called him a 500 lb. hillbilly gorilla or something like that. Yet, in the end, it seems he finally found out Garth is the real deal.

Lowell Miller
06-20-2003, 01:39 AM
"less on their film careers, which are vanity/ego things anyway"

UG..... :mad:

beckysue59
06-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by OHMichelle
Do this... get a real good visual of a turtle sticking his head out of his shell and he's looking straight at you.... Got the picture?

Doesn't Kenny Chesney look like a turtle?!

YES!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so!!:p

unccstephanie
06-20-2003, 08:33 PM
I TOTALLY agree about the turtle thing!!!

Although, that turtle looks reeeeal good without his shell...did I just say that out loud?

Anyway, I must agree with the article as well. They both need to get into gear and make some music. When they are ready of course, but if they could work on my time it would be even better.:D