PDA

View Full Version : PG Exclusive...Garth on the CMT 100 Greatest Songs

Monica Lockhart
06-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Just got a phone call from Joyce and Jen. They are attending the CMT Top 100 Greatest Songs...

The noise in the background was earpiercing... Just as Joyce called Ray Charles walked past them through the crowd and the fans were going wild!

Joyce tells me there's a funny story about Steve Wariner and honestly I think it also has to do with Ray Charles, but it was so loud I'm not sure if Ray is part of the funny story or not.

Anyway.. they are at #72 right now.. and so far Trisha's song "She's In Love With The Boy" was #80.

No Garth songs yet... but that can't be bad... they just must be way up high on the list is what I'm thinking! ;)

They are having a great time.. wish I was there :(

I'll keep you posted when I find out the first Garth song on the list!

Moni

Monica Lockhart
06-04-2003, 11:01 PM
All I can hear is Friends In Low Places!! WOOOHOOO

Guess who was singing it??? Chris Cagle!!!

The crowd is singing along! Screaming!!

Joyce can't hear a word I'm saying! LOL

He's at #6!!!

Songs now over.. Joyce said this is the FIRST SONG that the entire crowd got involved in! Everyone was sceaming, singing and Chris worked the crowd just like Garth would! Got out in the audience and sang! How cool!!

Can't wait to hear how high The Dance made it!

I'll be back!

Moni

Honeybunny31
06-04-2003, 11:05 PM
TY TY TY MONI!!

TC,

Lisa

Teaser210
06-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Wow, that'll be great to see on TV. Another something to look forward to. Way to go, Garth!

fuzzwuzz
06-05-2003, 12:21 AM
On TV? When? Where?

Teaser210
06-05-2003, 12:35 AM
From the CMT webboard: http://www.cmt.com/cmt/shows/100greatestsongs/

Here they are … CMT's 100 Greatest Songs of Country Music. A panel of experts has ranked the songs in order, and that list will be revealed in an exclusive six-hour special. As a special treat to fans, the Top 12 songs will also be performed in concert by Trace Adkins, Chris Cagle, Glen Campbell, Deana Carter, Ray Charles, Kenny Chesney, Sara Evans, Vince Gill, George Jones, American Idol's Kimberley Locke, Martina McBride and Marty Stuart. Brad Paisley and LeAnn Rimes host the concert, as Steve Wariner serves as musical director.

ProducerJ
06-05-2003, 12:56 AM
The Dance came in at #14.

As previously announced, FILP was #6. Jen and I were in total shock. OMG it was so good to hear that song live again, and to see the entire crowd on it's feet.

I have some work to do to get ready for tomorrow, but will be back in a bit and I have Steve Wariner stories (wardrobe report just for you Scout!) the top 12 order (if I can remember them) and scoop on LeAnn Rimes hairspray.

J.

ProducerJ
06-05-2003, 02:39 AM
No one is up late with me? That's ok, I am way past my bedtime.

Yes the funny Steve story did have to do with Ray Charles. Remind me to include that with his wardrobe report.

Just to set things up, what we attended was the taping of the Top 12 songs, that will air Sunday night as the last 2 hours of the CMT 100 Greatest songs.

They did most of the show live to tape, which meant as they went in and out of commercial breaks, they "recapped" number 100 - 13. So we'd see a live performance of #12 and then get a recap of 100 - 91. A bit convoluted way to learn the top 100, but it worked.

Trisha, as mentioned, was around #80. I think it was 80, Jen thought it was 78, and one of her friends thought it was 79. Put your money on 80.

The recaps were just quick 5 second things. During some of the down time they played back the full packages from the show, and they were quite lenghty and in depth.

Each song in the top 12 got a live intro from Brad or LeAnn, then they went to a 3ish minute package FULL of artist clips (I don't think there was a narration) then the same host would intro the performer, then the performer would sing the song.

Clint Black was at 100 I remember. Killin Time I believe.

We had AWESOME seats. 4th row, right at the zamboni tunnel, which was the artist entrance / backstage area. So we got the scoop on who was huggin on who, who was ignoring who, and who was coming up next.

As we got further and further into the show we got more and more excited that we HADN't seen Garth yet. We were both looking for FILP to hit in the 70's, and the Dance to be top 20. It never occurred to me that he'd have one of the top 12.

This is getting long, but let me quickly throw out what I remember as being the top 12:

12. Kenny Chesney opens the show with Amarillo By Morning. He was a one take wonder, and the crowd went NUTS for him. Jen wants to know if he owns anything with sleeves?

11. Vince Gill does Bill Monroe's Blue Moon of Kentucky. He is the first flub of the night. two takes. Brad Paisley (co-hosting with LeAnn Rimes) comes out to re-introduce him and cracks "If we'd have placed money on which one of us would have screwed up first, I'd have lost that bet."

10. Sara Evans and Deanna Carter do "Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys." They blew each other kisses before they took the stage. Deanna gets the short skirt award of the night. This performance gets my award for least favorite of the night. If you don't know this song, you wouldn't know it was that song.

-- I'm missing something between 7,8,9, and these are probably out of order:

8.Trace Adkins - Your Cheatin' Heart

7. LeAnn Rhimes nailed a Patsy Cline song that I'm too wiped out to remember. It must have been Walkin' After Midnight. Did I mention she had 3 clothing changes and 3 hairstyle changes?

6. Chris Cagle does Friends in Low Places. As soon as Jen and I figured it out from the intro, we totally had to scrape our jaws off the floor. Remind me to give you more on his performance, which rocked.

5. Glenn Campbell did NOT do Rhinestone Cowboy, instead he did Galveston. Surprised me.

4. Marty Stuart & Rodney Crowell (both former son in laws) did Ring of Fire. They rocked too. I think they did it twice. The crowd stood through this entire thing as well and there were some nice photos of June Carter Cash in the intro.

3.Kimberly from American Idol does "Crazy." I didn't watch the AI show but she was excellent. They had tech troubles and she had to do it twice.

REMIND ME to tell you about the Steve Wariner / Brad Paisley musical interlude here it was a HIGHLIGHT amongst a show full of highlights.

2. George Jones "He Stopped Loving Her Today" can you believe it wasn't #1? Can you guess what was?????

PLEASE don't quote these numbers anywhere, I hope Jen can come fill in what I'm missing and maybe fix the order. I'm going to bed.
J.

Chris Gaines
06-05-2003, 09:48 AM
1. "Stand by Your Man"
2. "He Stopped Loving Her Today"
3. "Crazy"
4. "Ring of Fire"
5. "Your Cheatin’ Heart"
6. "Friends in Low Places"
7. "I Fall to Pieces"
8. "Galveston"
9. "Behind Closed Doors"
10. "Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys"
11. "Blue Moon of Kentucky"
12. "Amarillo by Morning"

This help... they are listed on the CMT website... LOL :)

Jason

Monica Lockhart
06-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Jason... you ruin all the fun :(

We all could have done that. Joyce was trying to get people to GUESS! Not go look it up.:P

You need to go and sweep the back porch. You made a mess swinging Teaser the other night and tracked mudd all over the porch. ;)

Moni

Chris Gaines
06-05-2003, 11:43 AM
HAHAHA Moni!!!!!!!!!!!

But but but.. Teaser WANTED IT!!! It's her mess LOL

I was just helpin Joyce out... :)
She said she wanted us to guess.. so I went and guessed hahahaa LOL

I still want her details.. COME ON JOYCE finish it!!! LOL

Jason

gbkubfan
06-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey...

I was really amazed that The Dance didn't make the list. As much as I love FILP, I think the Dance is a better song and a classic. JMHO

Monica Lockhart
06-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Joyce said The Dance was in the Top 20 like #14 or something.

I wanted it to be Top 5 atleast!

Moni

Honeybunny31
06-05-2003, 12:16 PM
I bet it will be in the top 5.

Thirty years from now!!

Lisa

TammyLS
06-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Wow thats Awesome! Joyce, thanks so much for staying up past your bedtime to tell us about it! I think its so cool that Garth had 2 songs in the top 20! I do with that Trisha had been a bit higher on the list-gosh in 20 years she may not be on the list-and That isn't right! I need to study the list again, and see how I feel about the rest of it...

gbkubfan
06-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Hey...I guess I didn't say what I wanted to say properly...LOL...I meant he should have been in top 10 with the Dance, not #14. I love FILP but I think Dance is better song. I remember when they did a similar list a few years ago, The Dance and He Stopped Loving her were the top two songs. I wonder why The Dance has fallen. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jen19
06-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Yes thank Joyce for staying up, because I sure didn't I hit the pillow as soon as I got home :) I did have to get up at 5:45am so that is a good reason too.

Anyway as Joyce said it was a great show- Chris Cagle did a awesome job at FLIP not like the man but a very reputable performance, he defiantly studied some Garth shows before he did it.

the audience totally got into it, its the only song EVERYONE was singing along with. We had a blast- but it sure did make us miss our Garth :(

Of course Joyce did not talk long enough about my other man Brad Paisley, our seats were so cool while Brad was backstage I could just watch him talk and get ready, it was very neat. Steve Warner gave me a very nice wave- he is such a sweet guy.

Joyce you didn't tell them about Ray and Steve you need to share that, but I will let you do it- later, she must be busy being the little radio girl she is, I swear everyone knows the girl
And everyone thinks I'm just the little girl that hangs on her shoulder.LOL

80. "She’s in Love With the Boy" - Joyce is right again..I lose, nothing new.

REMIND ME to tell you about the Steve Wariner / Brad Paisley musical interlude here it was a HIGHLIGHT amongst a show full of highlights.

I help Joyce fill this one if I can remember all the songs.

so Brad and Steve did a little montage of songs that weren't in the top 12 but I guess they wanted to sing anyway it was

"King of the Road"
"Take Me Home, Country Roads"
"Act Naturally"
Foggy Mountain Breakdown"

I think that is right, maybe not in that order, they also had to do that twice, I forget who messed up but one of them messed up on Foggy Mountain. But I didn't mind hearing Brad sing twice :)

I can't wait to see the show on Sunday- it turned out to be much better then I thought it would be and I know one thing-

I miss Garth :)

JEN

Teaser210
06-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Hey, it wasn't my mud, I was wearing my fuzzy slippers, and I washed out my glass all neat and pretty.

Joyce, sounds like you had a marvelous time, what a fun show to attend. Keep posting about your evening for us poor folk out in the hinterland.

I had to laugh at CMT's line ..."A panel of experts has ranked the songs in order", just what panel of experts is that? A group of marketing experts debating which songs to put before and after the commercials and which songs and order won't upset the current artists? LOL, maybe I should have chosen the screen name SuspiciousByNature. Crazy gives them too hits in one, one for Patsy and one for Willie.

GBheartandsoul
06-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks Moni, Joyce and Jen for sharing all the details with us. Sounds great! Joyce, please tell us more! Looking forward to watching the show. I think "The Dance" should have been higher too, but still it's nice to see that both of Garth's songs are in the top 20. I'm glad that Trisha's on the list too. I've seen the full list and some of the songs don't seem to belong...well as far as I'm concerned. You have to wonder how they picked a few of these songs and how they ranked them.

Seira:)

wmcinnis
06-05-2003, 09:54 PM
WOW, looking at the list of the top 12, it brings me great pride to see Garth in there with the likes of Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, George Jones, Johnny Cash and many more country legends.....this is very cool:)

Okay Joyce, it's your turn to fill in where Jen left off.....thanks for letting us in on the goings on so far:)
-Susan-

fuzzwuzz
06-05-2003, 11:37 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/events/content/shared/events/ap/ap_story.html/Entertainment/AP.V5900.AP-Countrys-Best.html

I seem to remember Garth mentioning "Friends in Low Places" during a Sevens show no less, that, in looking ahead, the song might be it for him. :)

Garthfan92
06-05-2003, 11:42 PM
I also would have expected The Dance to be higher on the list than FILP. Two songs in the top 15 sure isn't bad though!

Lisa

wmcinnis
06-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks for that link Dale:)
I was wondering how they compiled this list.
-Susan-

ProducerJ
06-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Well I still stand by my thought that had you gotten the chance to guess the #1 song, no one here would have gotten it. We had seen Martina earlier in the night and knew she was singing, and I was convinced through the night she was going to be doing Coal Miner's Daughter. Once we saw George getting ready to come out for #2 we were just dumbfounded by what #1 could be.

Jen there was no need for me to go into any Brad details, I knew you'd fill them in. Can't believe you haven't given a wardrobe report on him. No Kimberly in sight either.

They did Act Naturally 2nd and Country Roads 3rd. When they did the medley the first time Brad made a little "i love you" sign in the air the first time he sang "West Virginia", and the 2nd time he did a nice intro about it being a song that was very dear to his heart. The medley was great.

Ok, no one has asked about the funny Ray Charles / Steve story. WHERE is Scout????

Brad did a very nice job hosting. LeAnn they REALLY should have made do a 2nd take on many of her parts.

Did I get it all?
J.

ProducerJ
06-06-2003, 12:25 AM
oh I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but the intro to FILP started out by saying something about the artist outselling Elvis and being only 2nd to the Beatles, at which point we freaked, and then said something about it being illegal to hear this song and NOT sing along.

ProducerJ
06-06-2003, 12:33 AM
photos from last night are here: http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=GLS====28722&str=&styp=&sfld=&sortval=3a&PageNum=1 you can pick your favorite LeAnn hairstyle yourself.

J.

PJ
06-06-2003, 10:28 AM
If this is what it takes.....PLEASE Joyce share the Ray/Steve story. ;)

Jen19
06-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Your funny Joyce- Share the story all ready.LOL

Thanks for the pics they are great, Brad sure did look good :0

He dosn't really need a fashion report he always wares the same thing. tight jean, nice shirt and a white hat..LOL

JEN

PJ
06-06-2003, 11:17 AM
It was nice to see that Kenny Chesney does own a shirt with sleeves. :)

TammyLS
06-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Awesome Pics Joyce, thanks so much for sharing those! Hmm, as for LAR hair, wow, she can change it can't she..I like both-lol!
Gosh what a great night that must have been, sounds like you have many stories to tell--or not tell--LOL!

Chris Gaines
06-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by PJ
It was nice to see that Kenny Chesney does own a shirt with sleeves. :) and I'm sure Alan Jackson does own a pair of Jeans un-ripped. LOL somewhere....

hahaa

ProducerJ
06-06-2003, 06:12 PM
since you asked...... ;)

and actually, this isn't nearly as funny probably now to you as it was to Jen and I sitting there at the time, but we'd been watching Steve all night just hanging out in the backstage area. His work apparently was done, he wasn't going over anything, didn't have a show rundown, he was just literally hanging out.

So they are bringing Ray Charles out and we see Steve climbing in with the band, strapping on a guitar. This is the first time he's been on stage other than a brief acknowledgement that he was the Musical Director. So of course we pay attention, and he's really, just part of the band. No solos, no special treatment or anything. And we're like hmmmmm.... what was the point of that? Then we realized.....

he just wanted to play on stage with the legendary Ray Charles. :):):)

Next story: the biggest hairspray bottle in Nashville

ProducerJ
06-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Jen19
Steve Warner gave me a very nice wave- he is such a sweet guy.

He did? ok. But who waved at me? :p

Teaser210
06-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Joyce, I love the Ray and Steve story. I was hoping to see a pic of Steve with Ray Charles, I hope Steve got one for himself.

I'm really surprised the "panel of experts" chose Stand By Your Man as the #1 song. Was Toby by any chance part of that panel? ;) ;)

ProducerJ
06-07-2003, 02:50 PM
I saw a promo for this show. They are still billing the show as a LIVE event - even had the word LIVE huge across the screen at one point. Not is it not live, it wasn't even live to tape.

grrr

J.

Jen19
06-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Did you guys enjoy the show, I really did, funny LIVE yeah right, Anyway it was good.. and yes that hairspray bottle was huge- can you guys guess whos' it was ?

JEN

Garth_FANtasizer
06-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
He did? ok. But who waved at me? :p

Ray Charles? :p

Was the hairspray bottle Marty's?

~Ann~

ProducerJ
06-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Did any of you watch this show last night? I really enjoyed it - even got my hubby to sit through it with me, and that takes some doing. Jen did you see us? I saw me behind Chris at the end of FILP, but most of the time the lights seemed to be in our way, LOL.

J.

Garth_FANtasizer
06-09-2003, 10:14 AM
I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it.

The highlight for me of course was FILP. Chris did a nice job but as good as he was, it still doesn't compare to Garth. I think the audiance was so great and responsive to the song that even the Dixie Chicks would have gotten applauded. :)

Everyone did a great job.

~Ann~

BLL
06-09-2003, 10:22 AM
I had client's last night, so I stuck a tape in the machine. When I finally got home last night I found we had a power outage and it only recorded up to #34 :( .

Oh, well, I'm sure it'll be on again, and hopefully I'll see it then.

fuzzwuzz
06-09-2003, 10:02 PM
I didn't get to tape it while at work because hubby was watching the races. I notice it repeats again but only in a shorter 2 hour version?

Steven75407
06-17-2003, 11:59 AM
I thought the whole thing was great. Chris did a heckuva job on Garth's song, which is MY personal favorite country song of all time. Of course, no one can top Garth's version! I also liked LeAnn's performance of "I Fall to Pieces." She and Brad did an excellent job hosting the show.

Hey does anyone have a list of who all was interviewed in the documentary?