PDA

View Full Version : Clint Black: "I RAQ AND ROLL"

bluestocket
06-02-2003, 04:19 PM
I haven't heard the song but I must admit after reading the lyrics I really would love to puke! I am not sure if what to think about this. That's one of the most silly, digusting and uneducated lyrics I ever read from a country-singer. That's not even a patriotic song! Just embarrassing for the USA. And now you wonder if people dislike some kind of "American Attitude!"
*blue*

"I RAQ AND ROLL"

Words and Music by Clint Black and Hayden Nicholas

YOU CAN WAVE YOUR SIGNS IN PROTEST
AGAINST AMERICA TAKING STANDS
THE STANDS AMERICA'S TAKEN
ARE THE REASON THAT YOU CAN

IF EVERYONE WOULD GO FOR PEACE
THERE'D BE NO NEED FOR WAR
BUT WE CAN'T IGNORE THE DEVIL
HE'LL KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE

SOME SEE THIS IN BLACK AND WHITE
OTHERS ONLY GRAY
WE'RE NOT BEGGING FOR A FIGHT
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY

WE HAVE THE RESOLUTION
THAT SHOULD PUT'EM ALL TO SHAME
BUT IT'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF DEADLINE
WHEN I'M CALLED IN THE GAME

CHORUS
I RAQ, I RACK'EM UP AND I ROLL
I'M BACK AND I'M A HIGH TECH GI JOE
I PRAY FOR PEACE, PREPARE FOR WAR
AND I NEVER WILL FORGET
THERE'S NO PRICE TOO HIGH FOR FREEDOM
SO BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU TREAD

THIS TERROR ISN'T MAN TO MAN
THEY CAN BE NO MORE THAN COWARDS
IF THEY WON'T SHOW US THEIR WEAPONS
WE MIGHT HAVE TO SHOW THEM OURS

IT MIGHT BE A SMART BOMB
THEY FIND STUPID PEOPLE TOO
AND IF YOU STAND WITH THE LIKES OF SADDAM
ONE JUST MIGHT FIND YOU

CHORUS II
I ROCK, I RACK'EM UP AND I ROLL
I'M BACK AND I'M A HIGH TECH GI JOE
I'VE GOT INFRARED, I'VE GOT GPS AND I'VE GOT THAT GOOD OLD FASHIONED LEAD
THERE'S NO PRICE TOO HIGH FOR FREEDOM
SO BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU TREAD

BRIDGE
NOW YOU CAN COME ALONG
OR YOU CAN STAY BEHIND
OR YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE WAY
BUT OUR TROOPS TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE
FOR THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.

IN THE USA
I'M TALKIN' ABOUT THE USA

jstensig
06-02-2003, 04:30 PM
OMG - that is ignorant!!!!!

He does however make good music and I'll still listen to my old CD's with him. ;)

Jakob

ProducerJ
06-02-2003, 07:24 PM
I had these lyrics sent to me by a Marine in Kuwait, awaiting to go into Iraq. She'd been sent them by another marine. Her line to me was "I obviously haven't heard the song, but I love these lyrics."

If it's good enough for the active duty U.S. Marines, it's good enough for me. It's written more from their perspective than from those of us sitting on the sidelines anyway.

I didn't particularly care for the melody - and the song didn't hit at radio - but I loved the line "I pray for Peace, prepare for war and I never will forget"

Also, Clint gave away the single, literally. It was only available for download on his website and he got on the radio and said - burn as many copies as you want! He does sell Iraq and I Roll tshirts on his website, and all the money from those sales goes to the families of the soldiers lost in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Clint's a good guy.
J.

GriggsGarthGirl
06-02-2003, 08:42 PM
I wanted to vomit after just hearing the title. That was a pretty pathetic attempt to jump on the bandwagon from Mr. Black. Right after 9/11 he tried to jump on the patriotic bandwagon with a song called, creatively enough, "America." That was equally horrible and I don't think it ever made it past the beginning phase that he sang on the CMT 9/11 special.

It is respectable that he wasn't looking to make money off of it and donated the proceeds of the shirts to charity. But it's hard to believe he wasn't looking for promotion from it. He got a minimal amount of pr out of the deal, but thankfully radio recognized a bad song when they heard it.

Chris Gaines
06-03-2003, 08:27 AM
A bad song to you isn't always a bad song to others ;)

remember biz Markie's "You say your just a friend" was a top 10 hit.. even though Biz Markie really sucked.

Radio plays what they are PAID to play more or less.. not what the public wants to hear.

You remember songs that just kept playing and playing and playing on radio and you got sick of em cause you heard them TOO MUCH?

Radio was paid for that.

Clint isn't paying for this one... so Radio won't play it in heavy rotation.

bluestocket
06-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Well, it's a difference if I can't hear a song because it's just a stupid song with laaaalllaaaa---leeee lyrics. You could switch off the radio if you don't like a song, that's not the point.

I just think that the USA are in NO NEED to support such songs. Everyone knows your country is the only left superpower and you can be proud of many things you did archieve in the past. So do you really need such dumb propaganda songs?

What would the Americans say if other countries would make such a song about 9-11? I guess you wouldn't laugh about it, or? Because that song proofs all Anti-Americans right: that the USA don't care about others. We know that's not true but Clint's song doesn't help much. So I hope PG members don't support that bs in any way!

*blue*

majmom
06-03-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm with you, Joyce. And you picked the best line in the song to quote - it's quite an accurate description of what the military actually does. Nobody wants to fight less than those who actually have to go do it - but they are ready willing and able when called upon.

Clint is a good guy...

Kerry

GriggsGarthGirl
06-03-2003, 12:45 PM
The real question is what would we be saying about all of these songs if they were being written and recorded by rap artists? In the last Country Weekly they had a review of Darryl Worley's CD and the drawing they had next to it were two tall buildings one with Darryl's face on it the other with the American flag. If an artist from another format did something like that we'd be all over them saying they were exploiting it and everything else. But, since it's a country artist the song must be sincere and heartfelt and meant to heal not exploit.

So if money is all that determines how well a song does on the charts then I guess we can no longer say that everyone agrees with Darryl Worley's song or even that it was a good song. Using the same criteria all he had to do was pay to get it played and get it to #1 for x number of weeks. The theory works both ways. It just means that you can't use the charts to determine if a song is good or bad, it's all about the behind the scenes promotion. You can't even use the charts to determine if people like the song or want to hear it. You might say well x number of people bought the CD the day it came out, but they were being force feed the song and told that if they didn't like it they were unpatriotic.

I guess this explains why country music is in the state it's in. We're simply being told what we like or what we should like and then they wonder why sales are so incredibly pathetic.

Chris Gaines
06-03-2003, 12:53 PM
well,

It is the behind the scenes that gets a song on the charts. People's call in requests for a spin, don't amount to the total spins a song does on a given day. $$$$$$$ does.

Darryl himself does not promote the singles other than appearing on Award shows to sing... or Playing at the Pentagon (he was personally asked to play there by Don Rumfield (sp?) and did so last month for the people of the Pentagon.)

Dreamworks-Nashville, Promotes Darryl's songs.. to radio. :)

Just like 2 years ago... with Alan Jackson's "Where were you when the world stopped turning"

Alan was making great money of it's success, then people backlashed at him for doing so, then he in turn gave money he made fromt he song to 9/11 charities.

allisonv7
06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Weird, This Clint Black song seems to be on all the time where I'm at.......and I really don't like. It's not the lyrics that get to me, I just really dont like the sound of it. Blah. If I never hear it again that will be fine with me.

allison.

ScoobLuvsGarth3
06-03-2003, 01:00 PM
in my opinion, which im sure doesn't matter very much, i love Clint Black. i love Clint Black's music. and i love this song.
-melissa

bluestocket
06-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Melissa, sure your opionion matters as everyone has the right to do so! We don't have to agree but I respect the fact you like Clint Black! I have no problem with it, just with that song.

Well, compared to Alan Jackson, Clint's song is just kinda stupid. Alan's song describes the feelings he had during 9-11. That is alright and I like listening to the song!

To me the chapter from patriotism to nationalism is pretty close. I only want you to remember the way it started over 60 years in Germany. When Germany was singing "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt" (Germany above all other countries).

GriggsGarthGirl was pretty right about her posting. Being a Countrymusician you don't have the right of free speech. See the Dixie Chicks. We discussed that a lot, if Eminem would have said this he would've been the "bad guy" and that would have been cool. So does this make any sense?

Once again, don't support this song on your radio stations! Proof you can be patriotic - without supporting this song!

*blue*

TrishaNGarthFan
06-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I have previously read the words to this song and I love them. I don't see whats wrong with them at all. I'm curious as to what the tune is, but I like Clint, and I like the song.....Its not a politically correct song but oh well. There's not a politically correct bone in my body.

Sue

Chris Gaines
06-03-2003, 04:57 PM
goto http://www.clintblack.com/iraqandroll.mp3

It *is* still be up there..

Jason

Chris Gaines
06-03-2003, 05:08 PM
P.S. > The link comes from Clint's Official site, and the song is being offered for download for free on his official site, as such no copyright is being broken by linking it up here. :)

Chris Gaines
06-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by bluestocket
What would the Americans say if other countries would make such a song about 9-11? I guess you wouldn't laugh about it, or? Because that song proofs all Anti-Americans right: that the USA don't care about others.

There *ARE* oher countries that made 9/11 songs.

I good friend of mine the day 9/11 happened wrote and recorded one of my most favorite 9/11 songs, and he's from Canada.

I do have permission to post the lyrics here.

Hell Came Down From Heaven
Words and music: © 9/11/2001 by GM Paterson
Hamilton, CANADA

Eight O'clock in the morning
An ordinary day
Busy people running
Trying not to be late

Sun shines down from heaven
But no one seems to see
Another day in Manhatten
Or so it seemed

Until Hell came down right out of Heaven
Hell came down on 42nd
We never thought we'd see the day
That freedom turned the other way
That left the whole world crying, together
The day Hell came down from Heaven

Tell me what's confusing about democracy
Terrorising people just because they're free
A baby cries, her father dies
And senseless tradegy
The tears just won't stop falling
Down on Liberty

The day Hell came down right out of Heaven
Hell came down on 42nd

Hell came down right out of Heaven
Hell came down on 42nd

It came down from Heaven
It came down from Heaven
It came down from Heaven
It came down from Heaven

www.gmpaterson.com

Like I said he's a great friend of mine... and he's truely doing awesome on the road touring right now :)

Also I have the mp3 that's I also have permission to share and would email it to anyone that requests it.

Jason

TrishaNGarthFan
06-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Jason,

Thanks so much for that link...I love the song even more now that I've heard it!!! I love that attitude. So I guess if anyone doesn't like it they can use the door!

Sue

Originally posted by Chris Gaines
goto http://www.clintblack.com/iraqandroll.mp3

It *is* still be up there..

Jason

TrishaNGarthFan
06-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Jason, could you email me the mp3 for this one? I like it!

Thanks,
Sue

p.s. TrishaYrwoodFan@aol.com

Originally posted by Chris Gaines
There *ARE* oher countries that made 9/11 songs.

I good friend of mine the day 9/11 happened wrote and recorded one of my most favorite 9/11 songs, and he's from Canada.

I do have permission to post the lyrics here.

Like I said he's a great friend of mine... and he's truely doing awesome on the road touring right now :)

Also I have the mp3 that's I also have permission to share and would email it to anyone that requests it.

Jason

Chris Gaines
06-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Sure can Sue.. It'll be in the mail in a few minutes :)

It's also on his New Album (Last track) it's his debut album :)

I'm so proud of him :)

He's a Bad<beep> Rocker/Country boy lol

Jason

fuzzwuzz
06-04-2003, 12:43 AM
What's stupid is that we even have to fight one another over anything. For me music brings us together. Never apart. It's love of money and indifference that tries to separate us.

allisonv7
06-04-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
What's stupid is that we even have to fight one another over anything. For me music brings us together. Never apart. It's love of money and indifference that tries to separate us.

Music can divide people just as easy as it can bring people together. There's going to be differing opinions over everything, no matter how much good it is meant to bring.

allison.

Lowell Miller
06-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Man, I hear stupid songs all the time...what's the big deal?...If Ireland had a "fight" song...stating...we are the best...I'm going to shoot you..., etc., etc. "I'm exaggerating."

But...It would not bother me at all. Iraq can have a song called. "America Stinks."...and ditto it would not bother me at all. There are songs for drugs songs for murder songs for rape, etc., etc. It's just a song...if you don't like it don't listen...just say it's a stupid song and go on.

"And now you wonder if people dislike some kind of "American Attitude!" And people here are disliking some of the European attitude.....on the streets of Brooklyn in spraypaint..."Europeans go home!" It's sad...but there are some here who think Europeans are rude and arrogant. So that goes on everywhere ... why buy into it?

bluestocket
06-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Lowell, that's just because there is something that's called PREJUDICE. If we don't communicate with each other, if we aren't interested in meeting other people, other nationalities, or other lifestyles....then prejudices never end.

Europeans aren't more arrogant as Americans and Americans aren't better as Europeans. So simple. But if we don't discuss about it, if we aren't willing to ACCEPT other point of views or LISTEN to what they have to say, we all die DUMB!

*blue*

Lowell Miller
06-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Well said...sounds good to me. :) There are so many Europeans here...(In NYC that is..) that people ask me what Nation I am from all the time. lol I say America. ;) When I'm in Brooklyn I feel like I'm in Europe...it's just like it...markets on the street and all. :) It's cool....now in Ohio and Kentucky it's different. ;) Personally I don't like the Clint song...I think it's kinda lame...but it's just a song. And Clint is cool....But don't lump all of the US in with that song...I can't even buy country music here...they just don't listen to it.

...not to belittle the song...hey if it works for you... :cool:

fuzzwuzz
06-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Music can divide people just as easy as it can bring people together. There's going to be differing opinions over everything, no matter how much good it is meant to bring. No no no. The music actually brings us together while exposing our differences and sameness that were already there. :)

allisonv7
06-05-2003, 02:52 AM
No no no. The music actually brings us together while exposing our differences and sameness that were already there. :)

it's 3am .... Lamens' Terms please. :)

fuzzwuzz
06-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Music is like a light that exposes us for what we really are. It catches us with our pants down so to speak.

Briggs7195
06-06-2003, 03:27 AM
I second Allison's motion...what in the world!?

Chris Gaines
06-06-2003, 05:35 AM
It catches us with our pants down so to speak. Nahhh only one thing catches me that way...

the shower.

no.. make that 2...

the john too...

HAHA
Jason