PDA

View Full Version : Marines singing their way into Bagdhad

ProducerJ
03-23-2003, 03:53 PM
The seven members of the machine gun team squeezed themselves inside their amphibious assault vehicle. They were wearing their charcoal-lined camouflage suits and carrying gas masks. In their hands, they cradled their guns.

Then they began to sing.

It was loud, out of tune, but that didn't matter. India Company of the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines - part of a long column of tanks, Humvees and dozens of other assault vehicles - was traveling north in a cloud of diesel fumes.

The men sang "American Pie," "The Star-Spangled Banner," "The Marines' Hymn," songs by Garth Brooks, songs by Snoop Dog.

Full article can be found here: http://www.sunspot.net/news/nationworld/iraq/bal-te.marines22mar22,0,455567.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

Also a reminder that there is ongoing discussion about the war itself on the Back Porch and about how entertainers from the Dixie Chicks to Travis Tritt are responding in the Other Artist Forum.

I posted this here because I think, being the son of a Marine, Garth would smile to know that his music was helping people again ... and still.
:)
J.

DixieChick4GB
03-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Very :cool:
Elaine

Paula
03-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Ditto, Elaine.

I wonder what Garth songs they sang...We Shall Be Free maybe? Do What You Gotta Do?

Paula

wmcinnis
03-23-2003, 05:59 PM
WOW, that's great to hear Joyce:)
-Susan-

Garth_FANtasizer
03-23-2003, 06:15 PM
That's so :cool:!

I bet they were singing "Friends In Low Places!" :)

~Ann~

DixieChick4GB
03-23-2003, 07:44 PM
I think Ann is right! :) FILP is just the kind of song I can see being sung in the desert, while they're trying to slip on down to the OASIS.
Elaine

ProducerJ
03-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Ann - Friends in Low Places is exactly what came to my mind too! Sounds like they were pretty pumped up.
:)
J.

Vanessa
03-23-2003, 08:25 PM
it's good that Garths' song's kept their spirits up :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

Garthfan92
03-24-2003, 09:40 PM
That's pretty cool! Garth should be proud his music is being used to help relieve some of the stress and fear our troops are dealing with. FILP would be just the song to break up the tension too!

Lisa

allisonv7
03-24-2003, 09:44 PM
I wonder if "Bombs over Baghdad" is part of their regular mix? :p

allison.

garthfamily
04-04-2003, 10:44 PM
My guess is they sang Friends in Low places I say this cause when I was active duty (During Desert Shield/Desert Storm) My husband (boyfriend at the time) were stationed in Germany we were going to a Kathy Mattea concert in Frankfurt and on the bus trip down we were singing all kinds of songs but the loudest that we sung by far was Friends in Low Places. Its a good song for the military. :)

Sharon

DixieChick4GB
04-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for confirming our guess, Sharon. :)