PDA

View Full Version : Covers that Garth does in concert

Steven75407
03-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Have you heard Garth perform any remakes when you saw him on TV or in concert?
Here's some I remember:
"You May Be Right"
"Keep Your Hands to Yourself"
"To All The Girls I've Loved Before" - from the Tryin' to Rope the World special
"American Pie"

That's all I can remember.....except for that 1995 ACM Performance where he did a medley of country classics that included "Mama Tried," "Act Naturally" "Whisperin' Pines" "Unwound" and my personal favorite George Jones song, "White Lightnin'"

bethany2
03-13-2003, 11:18 PM
The duet he did with Billy Joel at the Central Park concert, New York State Of Mind

bethany

Garthmedic
03-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Didn't he also do Bob Seger's "Turn the page"?

--spud--:)

allisonv7
03-13-2003, 11:57 PM
I remember he did "Please Come to Boston" on Crook & Chase one time :)

allison.

GriggsGarthGirl
03-14-2003, 12:22 AM
He sang Don McLean's "Starry, Starry Night" at one of the concerts I went to. I also remember him singing "Rocket Man" one time. And don't forget about Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual"--he sang that on the Muppets :)

Paula
03-14-2003, 08:37 AM
I remember he did "Please Come to Boston" on Crook & Chase one time :)That's my theme song.;)
And don't forget about Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual"--he sang that on the Muppets :)Not anymore, I won't, thanks to a couple of garthangels.:D

Paula

TammyLS
03-14-2003, 12:16 PM
I heard him do American Pie in MN, it was Awesome! I loved hearing his version! I sure would have loved hearing his version of Please Come to Boston.

Harriet
03-14-2003, 01:28 PM
There was also the time he sang Everybody's Talkin' At Me at the Oscars, and also when he sang that medley in Washington...Abraham, Martin and John, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Wonderful World, Am. Pie... was Get Together part of that medley too? I know I have a memory of him singing that, but can't recall if it was here... and he sang at a tribute to Billy Joel, I think he sang Goodnight Saigon...that wasn't televised though.. (darn)
and let's not forget Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream on the David Frost interview...
oh, and he's also sung a bit of JT's Frozen Man on The View...
and on the aforementioned Muppet's Tonight he also sang If I Were a Rich Man dressed as Tevye...that was a scream, especially when he let out that OY! I really appreciated that one, lol...
this is fun trying to remember...
he's so versatile... I could really see him playing Curly in Oklahoma (the play, not the state! lol...} who would be his Lorrie?
excluding the obvious sentimental favorite ;) come to think of it, I can't picture anyone else for Lorrie, lol!

Harriet

Lowell Miller
03-14-2003, 01:48 PM
I think I heard Garth sing....and I forget the name of the song.... "We're an American Band ... we're coming to your town..." :)

Harriet
03-14-2003, 02:17 PM
You got the title right, Lowell...it was a song by Grand Funk Railroad, I believe... I never heard Garth do it though...
I didn't realize it was ok to include covers he's done in concert as well as on tv... in that case, I can add that I have seen him do a medley of George Strait songs in San Antonio, and I've seen him do Mrs. Robinson, Wild World, Piano Man and Night Moves as well as Turn The Page...and at Lime Creek, he led us in a sing along of Silent Night...

Harriet

GBronx
03-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Harriet, that sparked a memory for me!!! Imagine that!!
Me remembering something...but don't get excited yet..=;

I can't remember the correct name of the song. :confused:

It was A John Denver song written by.. :-?

(LOL had to go look at the Play Bill from Lime Creek!!!) #o

Joe Henry "Christmas in Aspen"?? Maybe?? :confused:

PJ!! Can you help?? Anyone?? :)

Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

BLL
03-14-2003, 09:50 PM
"Christmas for Cowboys"?? A lovely song to be sure..

Steven75407
03-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Harriet
You got the title right, Lowell...it was a song by Grand Funk Railroad, I believe... I never heard Garth do it though...
I didn't realize it was ok to include covers he's done in concert as well as on tv... in that case, I can add that I have seen him do a medley of George Strait songs in San Antonio, and I've seen him do Mrs. Robinson, Wild World, Piano Man and Night Moves as well as Turn The Page...and at Lime Creek, he led us in a sing along of Silent Night...

Harriet

A medley of George Strait songs?! Cool. Which ones did he do? George Strait is my second favorite male country artist, after Garth of course.

GBronx
03-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks BLL!!! :)

Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

Garthfan92
03-15-2003, 06:29 PM
I can add one. I remember Garth doing "Candle In The Wind" when I saw him in '93.

Lisa

Isabel
03-16-2003, 03:49 AM
Candle In The Wind? That Elton John Song????

Vanessa
03-16-2003, 03:14 PM
what about "The strangest dream"

Yes spud- he did do that song..he did during "The Hungry Years" :)

god and peace,
Vanessa :)

Harriet
03-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Wow, it would have been cool to hear Garth do Candle In The Wind!
Jo, I can't believe I can't remember him doing that John Denver song but I do remember your reaction when it started,now that you refreshed my memory, lol!
The medley of Strait songs... I had to go dig out my tour journal for this one, lol...now, forgive me, I'm not that big of a Strait Fan (although the recent concert on CMT was very good) so I'm not sure I got the titles right..I was writing in the dark and relying on the lyrics for the titles... the medley consisted of Blame It On Mexico, The Honky Tonk Downstairs, 80 Proof Bottle of Tears...hope this makes sense to you because I know I had never heard those songs before, so I hope I got the titles right...
I also had some other memories of covers I've heard him do live...
Sweet Baby James, Operator (Jim Croce), and Vincent(Starry Starry Night) (Don McLean)...also, I was in the lobby of the arena during soundcheck in Buffalo and heard him do NY State of Mind, but he didn't do it at the show, which surprised me since he was in NY...
he closed with Piano Man both nights I was there...

Harriet

GBheartandsoul
03-16-2003, 11:07 PM
I've also heard him sing "Turn The Page" and "Candle In The Wind" in concert and have seen most of the tv appearances you've all mentioned. Yes, Harriet "Get Together" was a part of that medley.

Let's see, I'll try to add to the list. I know someone mentioned hearing him sing this song in concert, but he also sang "Sweet Baby James" on tv. He sang it on Vh1 Storytellers. Remember he talked about meeting James and how he got all teary and embarrassed and James gave him a hug.
He sang "Hard Luck Woman" with Kiss on The Tonight Show and of course on the tribute album. I can't remember the name of the concert, but he sang "Freedom" with George Michael as well as some of his own songs. I wish I could have seen and heart that.

That's all I can think of right now.

Seira:)

Garth_FANtasizer
03-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Empty Chairs

~Ann~

Steven75407
04-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Harriet
Wow, it would have been cool to hear Garth do Candle In The Wind!
Jo, I can't believe I can't remember him doing that John Denver song but I do remember your reaction when it started,now that you refreshed my memory, lol!
The medley of Strait songs... I had to go dig out my tour journal for this one, lol...now, forgive me, I'm not that big of a Strait Fan (although the recent concert on CMT was very good) so I'm not sure I got the titles right..I was writing in the dark and relying on the lyrics for the titles... the medley consisted of Blame It On Mexico, The Honky Tonk Downstairs, 80 Proof Bottle of Tears...hope this makes sense to you because I know I had never heard those songs before, so I hope I got the titles right...
I also had some other memories of covers I've heard him do live...
Sweet Baby James, Operator (Jim Croce), and Vincent(Starry Starry Night) (Don McLean)...also, I was in the lobby of the arena during soundcheck in Buffalo and heard him do NY State of Mind, but he didn't do it at the show, which surprised me since he was in NY...
he closed with Piano Man both nights I was there...

Harriet

I know what Strait songs you're talking about. "80 Proof Bottle of Tear Stopper" -- that sounds like something Garth would have put on his first album. I'd love to hear Garth sing that in person. I like that song.

Steven75407
04-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Oh, and one more thing. I'd like to see Garth and Tim McGraw sing Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" together. That would kick some butt!

PJ
04-04-2003, 08:56 AM
I think I'd rather hear Garth and Elton sing it together.

Harriet
04-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Amen, PJ! and how about Garth and Steven Tyler on the same stage...
tell me THAT wouldn't rock?

Harriet