PDA

View Full Version : American Idol contestants....

lee512w
03-03-2003, 09:24 AM
On the Today Show this morning, they had two contestants from the American Idol show on.Okay... I admit,I've never watched the show,but the one contestant mentioned that he admirered Garth while the other said he admired Michael Jackson (????) anyway the one guy was giving the other one a hard time about admiring Garth and like a true Garthnut,he ended doing a good job at defending himself and Garth! Did anyone else see the show? Maybe they can tell you who exactly these guys were,because I wasn't paying any attention till I heard the one guy say something about Garth....

Leelee
(who seems to have selective hearing sometimes!!:rolleyes: )

Snow
03-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh darn. I wish I had seen that.

During last weeks show I was so happy to hear Joshua (can't remember his last name) sing. He is the one that is a Marine and might have to leave the show if he gets deployed. I thought he was the only one that had a really good voice, and emotionally conveyed the song as well.

I thought to myself... he reminds me of Garth... and I started to post it here but thought everyone would think I was crazy. I wonder if he was the one you saw.

Snow
03-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Well your comment got to me and sent me on a fact finding mission....... doesn't take me much! *lmao*

Anyway... the artist I was talking about was Joshua Gracin. I found a short interview with him and he didn't respond as to who his favorite artist is... but he did offer this...

What is the first CD you ever bought?
Garth Brooks "In Pieces".So maybe I was right to see a little Garth influence in him. I think he's really cute, sweet, and a good singer. So refreshing to hear a little country influence in his music as opposed to the rest. :D

GriggsGarthGirl
03-03-2003, 12:30 PM
It was Joshua on the Today show today. For his audition in LA he sang "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts and I said "gonna have to vote for that guy"--lol. Don't think he'll get a chance to sing country too much after this point, at least on the show, not if they do it the same way they did last year--with motown week, 60s week, 50s week--ugh. A country week would be nice!

Not sure how it's more embarrasing to be a Garth fan than it is to be a Michael Jackson fan--lol. That makes no sense at all to me.

Snow
03-03-2003, 12:47 PM
First let me say that this message isn't to anyone here. It's just a reaction to people on tv or any other media going on about who it is okay or not okay to be a fan of.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one thing that I HATE, HATE, HATE when going anywhere where music fans talk to each other.

Why oh why... does there EVER have to be a comparison..... a competition even between fans about what singer is better or what fans of what singer are better.

Despite how you feel about Michael Jackson, Garth Brooks, or any other artist......... why would people be so competitive as to argue over them or make fun of other peoples choices.

IT'S MUSIC....... It's hard to compare 2 artists in the same style... much less two in different styles. So why bother saying one is better than the other anyway.

When crap like this happens I can see why Garth got sick of all of it. How many times over the years has Garth said and shown us that he opposes such judgements about artists. He himself loves all kinds of music. He dislikes awards based on this vary thing. To reward one is to say on some level that one artist (of fairly equal quality) is better than another based on some vague criteria.

Sorry..... didn't mean to get on a soap box. I just hate to see people knocking down any artist just because they like another better. It's juvenile. What sense does it make to say.... I like A and you like B... so A is great and B sucks. That's stupid... all it means is I like A but dont like B for whatever reason. Does that mean that a person has the right to pass judgement on the taste of other people? :(

DixieChick4GB
03-03-2003, 12:54 PM
I agree, Snow. I have a hard time being a Toby fan on the Dixie Chicks website and I have a hard time being a Chicks fan on the Toby site. Why can't I like both of them? Why do fans HATE other artists and say very ugly things to me because I like them? (I don't care for Kenny Chesney's music but I would never get down on someone for liking him.) Music is all about choice. I am so glad there are so many choices.
Elaine

allisonv7
03-03-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm 100% with you Snow, and I'm glad you got on that soapbox :) Garth is the best to me, that's my preference, but the other 6 billion people out there have their preferences too, there's nothing wrong with that. And there's certainly nothing wrong with people not liking Garth, as long as they give it a try thats all that matters to me. Frankly, I kindof like it when there are people that don't like Garth....it makes for an interesting conversation, you can see what they don't like about it and more often than not, those are the people that are going to give you a new view on something.

This world would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same stuff.

allison.

GriggsGarthGirl
03-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Maybe your message was directed at Cory--the American Idol contestant who questioned why Joshua would be a Garth fan--or maybe it was directed at me because of the Michael Jackson joke I made at the end. If it was at me, and I do see where it says it's not, but that's kind of hard to understand since you seemed to have no problem with the two having the discussion on the Today show and only got on your soapbox after my post, then I apologize. It was just a light hearted joke. Once again I'm sorry.

Snow
03-03-2003, 07:26 PM
No need to be sorry... but if I say it didn't have to do with anyone here...... then it didn't. I'm a pretty straight forward person. I put the disclaimer at the very beginning so it would be very clear.

Who said I didn't have a problem with Cory and Joshua making a fuss about it on the Today show? They were the ones comparing the two, so of course if it was directed at anyone... it would be them. As I said though, it's a general observation. I've seen it on plenty of discussion boards where it happens though.

fuzzwuzz
03-03-2003, 08:01 PM
"All in Color and so must all love be of every bright color to make my heart cry" ~De Colores

We need all the colors of the musical rainbow to make beautiful music together as a family. :)