PDA

View Full Version : Also on this date in Garth History...

Harriet
02-26-2003, 12:38 PM
in 2000, many of us were in Port St. Lucie, lined up at the practice field waiting patiently.... some of us were strangers then and pals now... some of us did not even know the other was there till stories were shared... it was a day that Garth helped a very dear friend cope with the loss of her mom via cell phone, and had to turn his back to the line as they spoke because he teared up so... he told her that he'd knock one out of the park for both their moms, which he did, during practice, but not, unfortunately, in any of his official at-bats...
it was the day Garth switched hats with a developmentally challenged young man and made his day, and ours as well...the smile on that young man's face and the look on garth's face was priceless! That picture is priceless! If memory serves me correctly, the young man's name was Bud...
it was the day Sandy and the girls were rollerblading around the complex and a friend's daughter got the opportunity to play with them in the grass while Sandy visited with us until Taylor lost her patience and wanted to continue 'blading.. I can still see Allie pouting "NOOOO", and Sandy firmly telling her that it was indeed time to go, that Taylor had been waiting long enough... Allie was less than cooperative and Sandy ended up carrying her...it was a day that I had to use my body to block someone from taking a picture of the girls with a HUGE telephoto lens because Garth had specifically asked us not to...and I was told "get out of my face" and for a second, I was afraid I was gonna get decked!
it was the day that Garth literally lifted my big butt off the floor in a big old bear hug... I said "GAAARTH!!!" He said "I got ya".. I said "You HAVE been eating your Wheaties, haven't you?"
He giggled...
it was a day that some very sweet memories were made...

hugs to all...
Harriet

GBronx
02-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Ok here goes....

Third time must be a charm!!! (kept nessin up!!) :confused:

Ahhhh memories.... :-?

This was my first road trip thanks to Harriet!!! :angel:

We had a great time!!! :applause:

Thanks for the memories!!!

Even the one where I thought I was going to get decked too!!! :D

Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

Harriet
02-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Jo, sistah... allst I did was call you up and ask "how spontaneous are you?" YOU chose to chance the rapids! :)
no thanks necessary!
PS..remember how sick we got of seeing the Flowers on the Wall video on CMT in the hotel room over and over?? LOL...
remember the rainbow on the way back to the airport on the 27th? Remember the upchucky?
Come on, who else was there and can share their memories and bring a smile to our faces?

hugs again,
Harriet

GBronx
02-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!

With the blessings of my sainted husband we were off to ST...

Ahhh yes, I remember it well... (hey, isn't that a song??) ;)

We got rained on the day of the rainbow and had to meet Garth

looking drowned rats!!! #-o
Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

GBsgirl
02-26-2003, 08:35 PM
I was there that day too :) I can't believe so much time has gone by.
The only 2 pictures out of 5 or 6 rolls of film that I took that didnt come out were the ones of Garth with my girls and Garth and me. they were both overexposed. :(
It was worth the drive and the time spent standing in line. Cady jo was counting all the people in line ahead of us.......200 , 100, 50....and then OMG!!!! we're next LOL. I went brain dead. He signed the girls visors and got down on one knee to take a pic with them. Told Kelly to stop chewing on her shirt (she was 4) and pulled it gently out of her mouth for the picture. When Cady Jo went to take the picture of Garth and I she was having trouble with the camera. The flash thingy couldn't go up cause of her visor. Garth walked over and turned the visor around on her head. LOL!!! wonderful memories. :)

Pammy

bethany2
02-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Hey you guys...... how about a few pictures? Love to see them!

Bethany :D

Harriet
02-27-2003, 01:19 AM
well, I would if I could, but I don't have a scanner! Maybe Jo or Pammy can do the honors! Pammy, I know we spoke about this, but it still bothers me that I don't remember seeing you there! Well, at least we know each other now!

hugs..
Harriet

GBsgirl
02-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Well I tried to attach a picture but it was too big, so
if you want to see the few Spring training pics I have, they are
at ofoto.com. If you email me with SPring Training in the subject,
I'll send ya the link. :)

Pammy

majmom
02-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks for sharing the memories, girls...VERY sweet *sigh*

Kerry

Garth_FANtasizer
02-27-2003, 03:00 PM
I love hearing stories like this. Thanks, ladies!

~Ann~

Cathy Welch
02-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Harriet for bringing back some lovely memories of Florida 2000. You’ve got me driftin’ away down memory lane.

I spent the week of February 28-March 6 down there and had a wonderful time. Let’s see if I can give everyone a few quick snapshots of that week (in words, not pictures).

First let me say that my family and friends wanted to put me away in the rubber room for wanting to fly off to Florida all by myself to do this. I’m not the most spontaneous person in the world and everyone was sure I’d gone off the deep end.

February 28, 2000

I arrived in time to join a large crowd outside the gates waiting for Garth…and waiting…and waiting. He finally appeared to everyone’s delight staying behind the fence. I pushed my calendar through the fence to be signed and elicited that delicious Garth giggle when I told him I’d flown all the way from Toronto and my arms sure were tired. I still marvel at how carefully he blew on the autograph to make sure it was dry and then gently rolled up the calendar and pushed it back through the fence to me.

February 29, 2000

A wonderful day spent at the practice park. After watching all the various drills, etc. Garth stayed in one of the fields to sign autographs. He said he would see all the kids first. I swear women were giving birth behind me there were so many babies being passed over and let in…LOL.

I managed to get close enough eventually to pass Garth a couple of things to sign. I mentioned that I’d come all the way from Toronto and would really love to get a picture. Busy signing, he looked up and said he would be leaving the field soon and that we would get the picture then. He wandered off down the line of people with my things to talk to someone for a minute and then to my amazement comes right back to me, hands me my things and said, “We’ll get that picture”. I really didn’t think he recognize me from a hole in the ground.

Anyway, about ten minutes later, the gate to the field opens and he comes clomping out (he had cleats on his shoes and they made a funny clomping sound). He calls out, “Where is that young lady who wanted a picture?” Uh, that would be me but I’m not sure about the “young lady” part. It’s better than ma’am though.

Before I could even react he was right there, arm on my shoulder and smiling for the camera. Thanks, Cheryl for the picture. However, I do admit that I don’t show this picture around. Garth looks fabulous as always, but my eyes are closed and I look gruesome. But it was a wonderful moment.

February 29-March 5, 2000

These days were spent at the practice park, back at the fence, at the beach, at the first couple of spring training games, and back at the fence and parking lot. Great times spent with some great people. I did see Chris LeDoux on the Friday night at the County Line Saloon in Melbourne. Poor man was hobbling around on a broken foot but still put on a great show!

March 6, 2000

A truly Garthy day. Garth did not attend the spring training game because he had hurt his foot at Saturday’s game so we spent the time watching him doing all those spring training drills. Harriet, you were there that day with a bunch of folks; sorry I don’t remember all their names. I do have a picture of the bunch of you with Garth though. There was such a small crowd there that day it was great just watching and listening and joining in the various conversations with Garth and everyone there.

I told him I didn’t have anything for him to sign; I just wanted to get a better picture. He said, “Well, I don’t know what we can do about that”…and again, before I was really ready those big arms had wrapped themselves around me. Well, I guess I was just going to have to hug him back…LOL

There were two pictures taken at that moment (many thanks to Mary Ann). The first definitely shows my initial reaction and Garth has a goofy “just joking around” look on his face. The second has me smiling from ear to ear and Garth looking just delicious. I didn’t take my sunglasses off for this picture after the disaster earlier in the week, but you don’t have to see my eyes to know how thrilled I was.

One last “goodbye, sweetheart” as I waved goodbye when he left the parking lot that day and my week was done.

Many thanks again to Cheryl who took me under her wing that week and made me feel welcome, as well as all the other people I met that week. It truly was a week I will always cherish.

Anyway, that’s the way I remember it.

Cathy

Harriet
02-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Ahhh, Cathy! Such sweet memories, right? Thanks for sharing them with such detail! I remember you and your group there...as for our group, if it weren't for them going then, I would not have been there on March 6... it was the only time they could go, but I was already booked to go with Jo the week before since I was on mid-winter break... the prospect of a reunion with my sistahs proved too hard to resist and, thanks to Priceline.com I flew back down that next weekend! We had such a blast!
Garth didn't injure himself at the Saturday game though...he didn't even go to that game, (it was an away game) he stayed behind to get physical therapy and actually came back to the complex later in the afternoon after the team was long gone... Sandy was driving...
I think the injury was the result of a foul tip hitting him in the shin, I'm not too sure... maybe it wasn't a foul tip, maybe it was a ball he missed in the field and it made a bad hop and got him in the shin... hmm....can't remember now :confused:

Harriet

Cathy Welch
03-03-2003, 03:48 PM
It is wonderful to revisit these lovely memories, but it’s sad too when I realize the time has passed so quickly. Where did the past three years go? It seems like it was yesterday.

The first spring training game of the season was on Friday, March 3 in Jupiter where we broiled ourselves to perfection on the bleachers. The upside to these seats, however, was being able to watch the players (including Garth) doing exercises on the field below us. Leg stretches, body stretches, pelvic thrusts…my goodness. I think we paid more attention to that than the game.

Saturday was the first Mets home game. I spent the whole time roving about finding good vantage spots for taking pictures and talking to people. From what I understood, Garth hurt his shin or foot in the batting cages; probably after the game, since he did play in the eighth and ninth innings.

On Sunday, I hung around the Mets park with a bunch of folks until someone told us he wouldn’t be coming in or he would come in later for therapy. I had tickets for the away game, so I decided to go. It was at the Dodgers’ park, which is cozy and intimate. This is how baseball should be played. The players benches were just that...benches. No dugout, no overhang, nothing. Garth would have been far too much of a distraction sitting on those benches, for sure.

Monday, March 6 was still the best. I also got to chat with Garth briefly at the truck when he arrived that morning. I pulled the ultimate duh though when I asked him for a picture, went to take it and he proceeded to tell me the lens was closed...LOL

I don’t know why I felt I had to share this now, considering I never did at the time. I guess I just felt like getting it down for perpetuity's sake, so I will never forget such a lovely week.

Cathy

Harriet
03-03-2003, 06:12 PM
well, I guess I have my facts jumbled, since you were at the game on Saturday, Cathy! I agree, it doesn't seem like 3 years have gone by!

Harriet