PDA

View Full Version : Artists who smoke

ProducerJ
02-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Someone asked me about a particular artist and if they smoked or not. Which got me wondering, how many country artists do you know that smoke? There are very few that I have everseen smoking. Given how vital their voice is to their livelihood, I think the number would be low.

At any rate, I thought it might be interesting to find out which artists haven't kicked the habit yet.

Smoker's list:

Sammy Kershaw
Willie Nelson - althogh I don't know if he smokes Marlboro's... ;)

BLL
02-26-2003, 10:53 AM
I know Glen Campbell used to, but I think he's now quit.

I always liked the sign on Garth's bus, I'd like one for my office. It said "if you're smoking you'd better be on fire"!!!

DixieChick4GB
02-26-2003, 10:53 AM
The Dixie Chicks were SMOKIN' on Saturday Nite Live a few weeks ago... ;)
Elaine

GriggsGarthGirl
02-26-2003, 12:39 PM
Tim McGraw smokes.
Trace Adkins smokes--on stage! Not in the sense that his live show is "Smokin'" in the sense that he literally smokes on stage!

I don't understand how they can do it either. I really like that sign from Garth's bus--that's a good policy!

allisonv7
02-26-2003, 02:40 PM
I've seen Chris Cagle smoke before, and I noticed in Tim's book theres a picture of him with a cigarette. I don't have a problem with smoking, as long as people don't smoke in a restaurant or something...that bothers me.

allison.

ProducerJ
02-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh that reminded me - Eddie Montgomery smokes onstage too!

J.

Darrell
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
From what I've heard, Tim is an occasional smoker. I don't think Faith allows it at home. I also think Lorrie Morgan is as well. Seems like I remember seeing her in a video with her late husband Keith Whitley on the back of a motorcycle with a pack in her pocket.

Paula
02-26-2003, 07:25 PM
George Strait smokes an occasional cigar (yuk).

Paula

Shannon
02-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Yes Lorrie Morgan smokes. I have seen several photos of her & Sammy with cigarettes in their hands.

Also, Tanya Tucker smokes. I have seen Teddy Gentry from Alabama smoking off to the side of the stage several years ago.

ProducerJ
02-27-2003, 09:39 AM
oh I'd completely forgotten about Teddy! I saw Alabama in concert a few years ago (ok... more than a FEW years) and he was puffing away onstage.

By the way, the artist she was asking about has been answered here, so thank you :)
J.

allisonv7
03-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Paula
George Strait smokes an occasional cigar (yuk).

Paula

Theres nothing wrong with a good cigar every now and then!!! :p

allison.

GB2PinaColadas
03-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Kenny Chesney doesn't smoke, thank goodness.. but his guitarist, Clayton Mitchell smokes..

bigcountrymusic
11-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Almost all of the "old timers" that made country music what it is today were smokers. Many of them, like Patsy Cline, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Faron Young, Conway Twitty, Keith Whitley, and more are gone. Willie quit when he discovered the herb. Add to the list George Jones (now quit), Earl Thomas Connely, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Hank Williams, Jr., Shooter Jennings, Kid Rock, Sheryll Crow, Barbara Mandrell, and those already mentioned.

GBsgirl
11-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Tim McGraw smokes.........ewwwwwwwww

Hubby and I went to a club here in town a few weeks ago and despite the no smoking sign on the wall people were smoking. I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower and wash my clothes. Can't stand the smell of cigerette smoke, and I can't even imagine kissing someone that smokes........ DOUBLE EWWWWWWWW !!!!!!

Pam

Skydancer
11-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Joni Mitchell... if this isn't limited to country artists, and since Sheryl Crow and some others are mentioned... =\

Bad for your voice (among other things...)

fuzzwuzz
11-24-2004, 12:03 AM
And she chews too! :)

bigcountrymusic
11-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Sheryl Crow is country, didn't you hear "Picture" with another big country artist, Kid Rock?

TrishaNGarthFan
11-25-2004, 03:09 PM
And she chews too! :)

I knew Gretchen chewed....but she smokes too? ROTFLMAO!! She's a true redneck woman.

Sue

fuzzwuzz
11-25-2004, 11:36 PM
I thought I read somewhere she smoked cigars on occassion.